Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The GamePlay Trailer & Barbs

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Thyiad, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The GamePlay Trailer & Barbs

I downloaded it and about five mins 30seconds in I hear "all gear is custom designed for ech class and a unique look".

Anyone else interpreting that as "no swappable gear"?

Good idea, bad idea, indifferent? Thoughts?

2. Magi

Magi IncGamers Member

Re: The GamePlay Trailer & Barbs

IF it means that each item is "non-swappable" (similarly to Guild Wars' armor), then that sucks. Trading is one of the things that makes d2 so fun (and frustrating at the same time ;) )

If it means the LOOK of the gear is unique depending on what character is wearing or wielding it, then that's GREAT!

3. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

They were talking about looks. Like, you know how armor looks different on D2 classes? Same thing. They mentioned it because it's a pretty big undertaking when you need separate models for each set of armor for each class.

4. theseus

theseus IncGamers Member

It means that every [Cracked Leather Boots] item will look different on every class. Not that each item can only be worn by one character.

So the Axe of Death is have skulls hanging off it for the Witch Doctor, and for the Barb will be dripping with blood or have massive blades etc.

5. lionheart

lionheart IncGamers Member

Yea i think the look is the only thing to change just based on the character. If you notice the helmet that he puts on in the trailer the thing looks totally different in the item slot then what it looks on the barbarian.

6. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

In some ways I think non swappable gear might benefit DIII (if this happens) as it would remove silly items that are used by everyone, such as HOTOs, COAs etc. I'd probably quite like to try and stick within the themes for the different characters..

7. Magi

Magi IncGamers Member

Then how would you mf gear for your other characters? I low level duel. I can't mf with a low level dueler. I have to mf/trade for the gear they need. The most obvious reason: I am set at a certain level. Mfing = xp = unnecessary leveling. :(

8. Psycroptic

Psycroptic IncGamers Member

Good post. I was thinking about this myself the first couple times i watched the vid, but had since forgotten. The first thing i thought of is shaftstop,shako,SOE,stormshield items like that. Items that pretty much everyone wants and can use. It would be a shame to lose that. How many times did we all switch gear between our own MF barbs and sorcs, especially in HC. I really hope they leave universal loot in the game.

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

There was a question on one of the panels about this. A guy asked if there would be different looks for the top items, so everyone wouldn't end up in the same equipment eventually. More green skull caps, plz!

The answer was that they hadn't decided yet, but that they were worrying more about making lots of different items to give players more comparable eq choices than about tweaking the appearance of every single item in 50 ways.

I'd say do both, personally, but then I'm not the one who has to do the work.

10. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

Yeah, I thought that, too. Hopefully it's from a purely aesthetic PoV, but if not, ew.

Edit: And I kind of like that there's a uniformity about the item looks. I mean these days you see a lot of variation anyway. It's not D2C where everybody ran around in Tarnhelm and Silks by level 30.

11. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Can this rumor die? Honestly?

The physical proof killing it is even on the front page of this website.

12. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

That's a lot of work. I would not want to be the artist who has to do that monotonous work. On the other hand, I don't think they will go with gear made for only one class. That would kill some of the addiction of MF-ing and getting your hands on items which helped to make D2 so successful.