The Fury - Amazon Guide D2 LoD 1.11

Ugla

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Fury - Amazon Guide D2 LoD 1.11

Definitely switch BK for SoJ if you can. You have plenty of life leech from the weapon itself, and the added mana from SoJ really makes the difference.

The build is indeed mana-hungry, though there are worse out there (e.g. FA zons). As mentioned within the twinking part, it's better to use some mana-friendly gear for questing, rather than damage-oriented setup. You can use Frostburn until you switch to +3java/20%IAS magic or +2/20 rare gloves, add some +mana charms, etc.

Seeing as you use an upped, eth weapon (=lots of damage), you might be better off switching your ammy to a rare one with mana leech and possibly 1-2 skills. The mana/kill mod is very useful against large mobs throughout the game (Lidless is a nice questing tool).

In WSK, the conditions get tougher. I get along with no ML at all, and tend to rely on larger mana pool, potions, and frequent use of less consuming CS skill. Not sure how this works on bnet with its innate map change - my WSK map on SP is quick to run through.

thefutile

Diabloii.Net Member

thanks for the reply. im planning on getting some +3/20ias gloves or something like it eventually. If i get rare ones it may even be possible to get mana leech on them right? That will also make me hit the next ias breakpoint.. but without bloodfists im lacking in fhr. i could still use the bloodfists for pvp and whatnot. and ill switch bk for a soj.

*edit*
i forgot about something - phoenix. ill trade my bk for a soj and then work on getting a phoenix for a cta switch and just forget about the +1 from sigons shield haha. so then whenever i get low, i just hit W :D.

pheonix may be something to add to the guide to help others with mana problems. btw, overall very nice guide. i appreciate it.

Last edited:

Geministorm

Diabloii.Net Member

Gloves are an issue in this build, hard to come to a good solution without finding the +jav variety with the right mods...although I admit I hadn't looked at Frostburns, which would have been nice in the mid-levels as the Furizon is a mana drain. Anyhow, I went with the Laying of Hands for the IAS% and +350% dmg vs. demons mod. The +50% FR doesn't hurt either.

This is how I built my Fury (Currently lvl **);

1 - Passives (except Valk)
5 - Valk (gameplan called for +12 skills, although I ended up with more)

1 - Jab
1 - Power Strike
1 - Poison Jav
2 - Lightning Bolt
20 - Charged Strike
20 - Plague Javalin
20 - Lightning Strike
20 - Lightning Fury

Gear:
Helm - Shako (Um socketed)
Ammy - Mara's (28% res all)
Shield - "Spirit" in a Monarch (156 str req, ouch)
Armor - CoH (traded for some nice stuff I found)
Weapon - Titan's (ethereal)
Gloves - Laying of Hands (have a +1 jav rare in stash, just in case)
Ring1 - SoJ
Ring2 - SoJ or Ravenfrost (depending on where I'm hunting)
Belt - Thundergod's
Boots - Aldur's (40% FRW and 50% FR main reason, plus I haven't found anything better)
Charms: 1x Jav skiller (only one I've found)

Merc:
Armor - Fortitude (non-eth)
Weapon - Infinity (this changes the game once you're in Hell)
Helm - Vamp Gaze (VGs have fallen a lot for me lately) --> socket with Lit Rainbow facet when I find one, or perhaps a Cham if I ever find another one to give him CBF.

My playstyle is very similar to Ugla's, lead into a fight with LF, but I don't spend a lot of time spamming LF like I see a lot of Furizons doing, if it doesn't fall with 3-4 LF, I'm in with either CS or LS. I tend to use CS on small packs and LS on large packs. LS seems to be a low cost solution with dense areas, such as Hell cows, because I can basically just run into the front of the pack and use LS to knock down the health of everything in the vicinity. LF in dense areas like cows is nice, but it tends to cost a lot of throws.

The great thing about the Furizon is that its killing speed is absolutely insane once you get properly geared and you have two skills that devastate either large, dense groups (LF) or single, high HP pool bosses (CS) faster than any other skills in the game. There is also a lot to be said about having an auto-hit thrown/cast attack to kill things around corners, across pools of lava or whatever. No other build of any class has the killing speed of the Fury that I've seen. Hammerdins and MeteOrbs are downright *slow* in comparison.

It should be re-mentioned that the unbreakable LIs and Doom Knights are the Furizon's worst enemy. Iron Maiden has led to all 5 of my Furizon's deaths and always in Chaos Sanctuary. It is important to be able to spot when you've had IM cast on you and to get away quickly so that you don't accidently kill yourself.

One last note: regarding poison, sometimes a poison seems to drain your health really fast and the poison doesn't seem to wear off normally, rather than waste a column on your belt to antidote or waste healing/rejuv pots, just open a port back to town and talk to the appropriate person and any curses or poison will be removed and your HP/Mana filled. For me, this is an inexpensive and quick way to keep your zon from getting into a compromising situation.

Great guide!

Forgot to mention: I use Plague Jav against LIs that aren't broken by the Infinity and then rush in to use jab or against PI/LI and then switch. The poison also seems effective against bosses to slow down their health regen. With this build, I'm sitting at ~18k/18sec which seems pretty crippling when applied to a large group.

Ugla

Diabloii.Net Member

To address a few points:
LoH are decent questing tool, and relatively easy to find. Higher physical damage against demons helps with ML, and of course unbreakable LIs of demon origin.

The +java gloves are not very common, and getting +3/20%IAS costs ~4-5h of intense shopping. Not everyone is willing to sacrifice that time - I know I'd not go through that again :D Crafting a pair with +2 java is probably the fastest way to get "something" with skills, while getting a nice bloodcraft (+2/20, good roll on CB, or one more useful attribute) takes hundreds of attempts on average.

Geministorm said:
Weapon - Infinity (this changes the game once you're in Hell)
Helm - Vamp Gaze (VGs have fallen a lot for me lately) --> socket with Lit Rainbow facet when I find one, or perhaps a Cham if I ever find another one to give him CBF.
There are cheaper ways to get CBF for a merc. I mean Cham is something you don't find every day, year or something :wink: Also, facets on a merc only affect his attacks, not yours. 'Infinity' is a no-brainer, if you have the option.

As for the IM issue, the ethereal weapon is imo a tiny bit over the edge. It's better to stick with an ordinary one, esp. since there are no unbreakable enemies in Chaos Sanctuary other than occasional bosses. I was messing up with a Might merc recently - which provides comparable damage increase - and after several hits leaving me <50 HPs, I started to be very careful.. I eventually ditched him for his inability to endure the Lister's wave, and switched back to HF, but that's another story.

During Baal-runs (currently 3/8/3 setting), I usually deplete the stack in 3-4 runs, which is another argument against eTitan's for me. That would require one more weapon in the stash, regular swapping, simply yet another thing to think about. Also to find it first :p

There are indeed some sources of extremely strong poison, like act3 temple spiders. The town healer is not always "at hand", so it's a matter of balancing. I usually quest with 2 columns of mana, temporarily saving a few antidotes in the inventory as I approach those infamous areas. For Baal-running, I use one column for antidotes, since mana is no longer an issue for me.

I used the very same tactics witj PJ/Jab against unbreakables, only nowadays I wear 'Treachery', thus the CtC Venom takes care of the job.

Good luck with your zon, Gemini :thumbup:

Geministorm

Diabloii.Net Member

There are cheaper ways to get CBF for a merc.
Well, the Infinity stays (of course) and the Vamp Gaze has only about 8% LL, but it keeps the merc alive which becomes a paramount issue when you are running anywhere there are LIs. So, my options seem to center on getting CBF from body armor, or perhaps getting a different helm that has CBF and LL.

Ugla said:
As for the IM issue, the ethereal weapon is imo a tiny bit over the edge. It's better to stick with an ordinary one, esp. since there are no unbreakable enemies in Chaos Sanctuary other than occasional bosses.
I agree, I obtained the eTitan's *because* the previous owner was using up all of the javs on cow runs and such, and so I got them for "cheap". Since I use my LF more...judiciously (?), this was a perfect fit for me to get great end-game gear at a great price. In the majority of cases, this is to my benefit because my pierce is >80%, and the jav damage equates to about 50% of each LF bolt (yes, there are 35+ of those for each pierce, I know) which tends to end things quickly. I just don't need to throw that many javs to kill everything, and stragglers get the CS treatment.

On the other hand, when I've got IM on me, it is an instant death, no sliver or anything, and my hp are at around 1300-1400. This makes noticing IM extremely important. Conversely, when I meet a LI that isn't broken, or my merc dies, I don't necessarily have to switch to my alternate dmg weapon, because the physical damage from Jab or even CS is still pretty strong, especially when I've dosed the mob(s) with the PJ first.

I was messing up with a Might merc recently - which provides comparable damage increase - and after several hits leaving me <50 HPs, I started to be very careful.. I eventually ditched him for his inability to endure the Lister's wave, and switched back to HF, but that's another story.
Luckily, I've run a lot of solo, so my merc is level 87 or ** and is very durable with the present gear, to the point that now my Valk is more likely to die than he is (which has never been the case for me previously).

Note: this is a ladder character.

Ugla said:
During Baal-runs (currently 3/8/3 setting), I usually deplete the stack in 3-4 runs, which is another argument against eTitan's for me. That would require one more weapon in the stash, regular swapping, simply yet another thing to think about. Also to find it first :p
The eTitans replenishes very quickly for me, I've never seen it below 110 javs (really). In an 8 person Baal run, the trip down is not a big deal, even the Souls are "easy" with a little care and using Decoy. My usual method is to throw/spam 5-8 LF, and if anything is still standing, I take care of it up close. I can take out all of the minion spawns prior to Lister's group with 6-8 LF at most (first two spawns are 1-2 throws). Bartuc can spawn with a strong LI at times, and the hydras are still hard on the merc, but a good PJ does goes a long way here. For Lister, unless he spawns PI/LI, I've never had a problem with him (knock on wood). The only thing I concentrate on is the first LF when Baal throws the lighted ball into the air, the rest is just standing there waiting for the next spawn. Baal himself is a trivial matter, his teleporting is the biggest issue (irritation) for me, otherwise its just a matter of time before I put him down.

I used the very same tactics witj PJ/Jab against unbreakables, only nowadays I wear 'Treachery', thus the CtC Venom takes care of the job.

Good luck with your zon, Gemini :thumbup:
I'll have to see if I can put together a Treachery, I have the socketed Elite armor to put it in, I'll just have to check the rune mule.

In the end, this is far and away my favorite character to play, which is why she's level **, I can't stop playing her. Whether I'm doing key runs with my friends, or rushing their new toons, nothing is as fun or as fast as this zon. I am constantly getting comments about how fast she kills and wipes the floor with everything that moves.

Note2: Something that does bother me, when doing public baal runs, there tend to be a lot of FO sorcs, necros with 5,000,000 summons, and hammerdins. All of that adds up to a terrific amount of screen spam (can't see a damn thing), so adding in the 100s of LF bolts makes the screen completely useless because no one can see anything.

ThunderCat

Diabloii.Net Member

Greetings,
Very interesting guide and build. I can fairly say ive completed my costumised version of this build yet i think there is room for improvment.
This is how she looks like at the moment:
Level: **
Skills:
- Jab: 1
- PS: 6
- Poison/Plague jav: 1
- LB: 20
- CS/LS/LF: 20
- Passives: 1 each

Gear:
Valk Wing (2skills,165ED) with 15% IAS jewel
Mara (29 res)
Titan`s (195ED)
Arkaine`s (2skills, 175ED) with 4/5 light facet
Sanctuary (58res)
Lava Gout (198ED)
T`Gods (194ED)
IK Boots
Soj/Ravenfrost
Lycander`s Flank on switch (186ED) with shael (tho i dont realy use it)
Charms:
1 Passive SK
Some other res, hp, psn/cold damage small charms
Merc:
Infinity
Eth Fortitude in a Kraken Shell
Andariels Visage with 15% IAS jewel

Like i said before, i feel i`ve completed my costumised version. I enjoy playing with her and i dont realy have much problems anywhere.
Altho i do think i can still improve something. For example i still need a torch, some Jav. skillers and i cannot make up my mind on the weapons. I can either use Titan`s, Thunderstroke as main and Lycander`s or Viperfork as secondary.Not to mention the gloves and boots (altho i do like the Enchant on the gloves at the moment). And she eats alot of mana.

So, if anyone can point out some improvments i would realy apriciate it.
Thank you and have a nice day.

LE: Just found a pair of MarrowWalk boots and they seem nice (for the life tap charges)

Ugla

Diabloii.Net Member

Gear:
Valk Wing (2skills,165ED) with 15% IAS jewel
Arkaine`s (2skills, 175ED) with 4/5 light facet
Lava Gout (198ED)
IK Boots
Soj/Ravenfrost
Lycander`s Flank on switch (186ED) with shael (tho i dont realy use it)
Some other res, hp, psn/cold damage small charms

I can either use Titan`s, Thunderstroke as main and Lycander`s or Viperfork as secondary.Not to mention the gloves and boots (altho i do like the Enchant on the gloves at the moment). And she eats alot of mana.
Valkyrie Wing is a nice questing tool and no.1 pick when it comes to cow-running. One of the end-game choices, too. I also socketed mine with the 15%IAS jewel to reach the desired breakpoint.

Arkaine's Valor is a solid +2skill armor, the only drawback being its high str demands, which leaves the zon slightly lower on life if we eventually opt for something else. Otherwise, its +vita/lvl mod makes up for it. I might suggest combining it with Gerke's instead of 'Sanctuary' to make better use of that PDR.

I like to use use Lava Gout for the CtC Enchant on other characters, however, for javazons, AR is not all that important (LF has autohit, as does the lightning part of CS). There are only few monsters your 'Infinity' merc will not break, plus his Conviction aura decreases enemy defense, making your chance to hit fairly high. I suggest using +3/20 blue, or +2/20 rare/craft as your gloves. If you miss the cool look of enchanted javelins, you can always use the Demon Limb charges - they last pretty damn long.

I assume you wear the IK boots for their str bonus to equip Arkaine's. There is no pair that would stand out of the line, anyway. I tend to use rare boots with a mix of resists and FRW, but it really doesn't matter if you ask me.

Two handers are imo too slow if you opted for the D/A skills, since the bug will damage your offense to a point where Titan's gains the upper hand. Choose between Thunderstroke (for bosses), LR switch (for even better chance to break), CtA (for more cheesiness), or let's say Hel-ed Bonehew to be unorthodox :wink:

You have some cold damage from Ravenfrost, and as for poison on charms, I'm not sure whether their effects stack. These charms are the first to be replaced once you find some java-skillers.

The mana issues will soften as you grow in level. Other than that, you can switch to Harley's if you don't mind the ugly look, and squeeze in a few serpent charms. It will increase your mana pool by a fair amount. Check the respective part of the guide for more details.