The Fourth Annual Explain Diablo Contest

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Fourth Annual Explain Diablo Contest

9. Explain shield - why one could using a shield without blocking increase defence? Some how, you hold a shield, and you didn't block incoming attack, but the shield still push your defence up to make the incoming attack ineffective?

See 8 for most of my answer, but in addition to this, it should be noted that the proper use of a shield blocks of vulnerable portions of the body, making those areas that can be hit smaller, and thus more easily defended by other means.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

10.Explain belt - how could a small belt holds 16 big potions. why no matter how hard a blow may be, nothing can break the container of potions held "in" the belt?

Many many many(and hen some) millenia ago, glass was invented in the mortal realms. Great was the rejoicong of those who had invented it, and soon they were joined in their joy by all the other people, for a great container had been invented! No more jugs of clay to chug around, but attractive glass bottles!
And so they spread the word of their invention around, and all over the realms, glasblowers started their happy labor. Since the primary ingredient of glas is sand, and sand is dirt cheap, it proved to be very cheap to get huge amounts of resources. And so they made vast quantities of glass containers. And the people were happy with their glass bottles, and many a peal of laughter or a merry, joyful hymn to the beauty that is glass could be heard, which in turn pleased the gods.
But glass containers break eventually. Few people cared, for there were so many glass bottles, that they could be easily replaced. Yet eventually, people began to take notice. Not a step could be taken without glass churning under the heels of sandals, and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth arose from all the lands. The world teetered on the brink of chaos, and the gods were desperate.

So they invented recycling, the divine way. All the broken glass was cleared away, and the gods decided to make some modifications to a common utility, one that everybody uses... A belt. Magical slots were inserted into these, which in effect were impregnable containers for the liquid carried along. Nothing could break the glass and spill the liquid around. When a potion needed to be used, it was easily grabbed and drunk. Once used up, the bottle would automatically dissolve in a space of a few hours.
And those without a belt? Have you noticed how all characters come with basic clothing? Answer given.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

Standard answers

1. Explain Bone Spear - Accordingly, Bone Spear has physical form. Why does a massive bone piercing through target only do magic damage?

According by "official" information, Bone Spear should have physical form. Necromancer does not have unlimited amount of bones to case. In fact each necromancer has a set of few special magic enhanced bones, used to case bone spear. They do not exist in our normal realm, but in the realm of the dead. To case bone spear, necromancer first has to wrap one of these special bones to his realm, then the bone will transfer its mess to pure energy and strike the enemy. The energy can go through target and once reached its max range, it transfer back to physical mess and return to its realm. This is why it only does magic damage.

2. Explain Weapon Block - how could assassin deflect elemental attacks, eg fire wall. Standing in middle of massive fire, how do you block it with your small claws? Why you cannot block while you walk slowly? What different does it make if you stand still and walk cautiously.

Assassins are trained to indirectly apply magic to prevent corruption. Most of assassin magic powers are applied to claw. With two claw, assassin can apply magic power to direct incoming attack damage to earth (or the platform standing on). This "earthing" process requires both foot firmly on ground. That's why she may move arms but not foot while doing weapon block.

3. Explain Impale - powerful strike requires speed. You need to have both speed and strength in order to deliver a powerful blow. Why Impale goes slow. How can a slow moving spear does so much damage?

The slow speed is due to how this skill was developed. These spear using women developed their own martial art skills. Anyone who practices martial art knows that it is important to strike hard at the point of impact. The initial speed might be slow, but this is time the women warriors built up their energy, at the point of contact, the energy will be unleashed altogether extremely fast and hard. The high energy build up and lightning release speed at the impact, can cause huge amount of damage to its target. This also explains why this skill can break spear so easy. Sudden release a fast hard strike at point blank range is very hard to the weapon.

4. Explain Teleport - why teleport is limited to one screen distant? You can blindly teleport into wall 10 yard away, but cannot teleport to flat ground 20 yard away? How could the "hero' teleported into wall, yet still can move (you need to wave your arm before you can teleport out) and stay perfect alive.

Teleport uses space warp magic. It first bend the space, and creates a wormhole, then caster can go through the wormhole. Human can only maintain certain amount of energy to stabilize the wormhole. That's why only a short distant is possible. Demons and such, can maintain stronger energy field, therefore, they can teleport further. To ensure the safety of caster, the wormhole can stay open for a short time, in case something went wrong. If the caster teleported in solid object (eg. wall), she/he was not stacking in the object, but the wormhole stayed open. the caster can then cast a different wormhole to get out of this embarrassing situation.

5. How could Marius enter the guardian tower? If only by smashing the complelling orb, one (assume human) can enter the tower, Marius should be locked out, right? Matter of fact, how did he pass those high council of zakarum?

Simple, the army of hell was ordered to not touch him. Remember when everyone died around him, but he was not touched in the game opening video?

6. Explain weapon range - how could a small dagger has same range as a big sword for example. how could same size weapons have different range. for example, long sword and rune sword are range 1, cryptic sword is not any bigger, but suddenly it is range 2.

It's how you use the weapon. Martial art teaches to use shorter weapon to reach long rang, and long rang weapon to hit target close by. Elite weapons were made of better material, so they can stand more harsh use. The tip of normal sword may break easily, but the elite one will not. Therefore, the effective range of normal weapon is lower than elite weapon.

7. Why certain item can be used on one class only, but not everyone else? Eg. barbarian helms, why cannot a paladin wear it? The look should have nothing to do with it, after all, there are people who like to dress very differently. For weapons, surely there are some people really are good at weapons and strong/flexible enough to use any weapon available.

There must be some kind of union rule, I cannot think of any reason.

8. Explain defence - why a single elite belt can provide higher defence than fully armored "normal" armors? How could a strong belt protects you from blow on the head for example?

I cannot explain, it is simply wrong regardless how I see it.

9. Explain shield - why one could using a shield without blocking increase defence? Some how, you hold a shield, and you didn't block incoming attack, but the shield still push your defence up to make the incoming attack ineffective?

If you hold a shield, the enemy will try to attack avoid the area shield protects, therefore, it makes the attackable area smaller. Indirectly, it increased the defence.

10.Explain belt - how could a small belt holds 16 big potions. why no matter how hard a blow may be, nothing can break the container of potions held "in" the belt?

Potions are not really held in belt. You see our D2 hero almost never has any time to free his/her hand to reach potions, yet potions can be used. The fact is potions are not held in the same realm. Belt has four rows, each can have upto four special marks. Each mark can be assigned to one potion (same apply to TP). During battle, the hero simply cast special spells to call a potion assigned to a mark. The potion then will be in the hero's stomach, they were never to be taken into the mouth. The empty bottle does not affect the same realm. Only god knows who clean them up.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

I will read through and decide the winners later. I must say that the amount of creativity is amazing, but logic is slightly lack behind.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

My place got break in today. There is no major lost, but it sucks. The bad news is I will have to delay the result.

Palurien

Diabloii.Net Member

Oo sorry to hear that mate, glad you didnt lose anything major :)

Don't worry about delaying results.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry about your break-in. There's a real feeling of violation, isn't there?

I will read through and decide the winners later. I must say that the amount of creativity is amazing, but logic is slightly lack behind.
Few of us have read through all these answers, so we'd probably appreciate knowing which answers got an honorable mention for being funny or well-written or most bizarre.

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member

@DM: Thank goodness you're OK. Glad nothing major's been taken. I've been through burglaries a couple times, and Quickdeath's got that uncomfortable-in-your-own-home feeling just right. Take your time and get yourself settled.

I would second QD's request for honorable mentions and kudos for those that deserve it. ...Or you can make fun of us if we did horribly, too, it's all good! :thumbup:

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm still sorting out all the answers. Yesterday I didn't got time, today I was at work (yes, I know it is weekend) and went out for a movie, but only found out I cannot see it yet.

Any way, there are few really good one. I can only give partial result for now.

Q1 received the most answers. however, every single one has flaw of some kind. Mental effect does not explain why target that did not see the spear, still receives damage. The "official" source indicated bone spear is a physical form, so I cannot pick those who say "there is no physical form" without a good reason.

Atil won the best answer here. I still don't see where Atil clearly explained the physical form + magic only damage part, but I believe anyone would agree his answer is just great, so funny to read.

Palurien won the second best answer. It is the most logical answer, however, a little lack of creativity.

The following were also considered:

I'm pretty sure maxicek got the E=mc2 part wrong (I'm pretty sure even high energy super laser is weightless, and atom usually weights less than its text book value, because they are not still. Moving will require some mess transferred to energy).

Merlin The Wizzard got very interesting idea, and he is the best in all similar ideas. However, see the logic flaw I pointed out earlier.

RubenusPontius provided very similar idea as Palurien, but I have to pick one, sorry.

Q2 received more good answers. I can clear see sometimes people forget to address this question fully, otherwise this will be really tough to choose from. Almost everyone is good at this question, yet, everyone has a little flaw in the answer. Therefore, it is matter of who got the smallest flaw.

muzzz won the best answer.

RubenusPontius won the second best answer.

however, I must say that friedbananazzzz got the "perfect" answer, only it is something more politically incorrect, and doesn't fit into D2 world very well.

Merlin The Wizzard only forgot to explain why claw block doesn't work while walking/running, it is easy to fit into his idea. I like it very much. He should be the winner.

TheReadMenace made the same mistake, no where he said anything about walking.

Last edited:

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

I will speed up the process, but today is busy day, I will have more time tomorrow. Here is the winner for Q3.

Well, again, a lot of similar answers, some are more flawed than other. The creativity is the key here.

Merlin The Wizzard won the best answer. I believe it has the best story, yet still logical.

Quickdeath won the second best answer. It was a tie between Quickdeath and friedbananazzzz. Quickdeath particularly pointed out the "horror" of this skill to player. I do like the "look at demons' face", but everyone will agree "horror to player" is better description of this skill.

Q4, well, some answers really forgot the fundamental of teleport. It is not related to eye sight, blind teleport is one of the most used tactics. And some forgot the second part of question.

Merlin The Wizzard won the best answer. It is close to my "standard" answer. Also it is both creative and logical.

friedbananazzzz won the second best answer. It was a tie to number of answers. However this is the only one explained that if you teleport into wall, you will stand in an non-movable black space.

Atil deserves honourable nomination. It is kind of funny answer, but the logic is a little flawed. If two players, teleport at the same time, but different direction, how does the whole world move?

Last edited:

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

Okay, here is the rest result:

Q5, this is really a give away question, so creativity is important.

friedbananazzzz won the best answer. It was funny, creative, and explained that he was not stopped by order of diablo.

muzzz won the second best. It is funny, creative, but not as logic. Marius shows fear in the game video, but he might learn something on his way.

Q6, be honest, there is no top quality answer I expected. But no one did really bad either.

Merlin The Wizzard won the best answer. It was the most logic.

Atil won the second best answer. Well, I think again it is the most creative answer. In fact too creative, we can forget about the logic.

Q7, this one I had no answer myself, I truly congratulate those can think really great answers.

Merlin The Wizzard won the best answer. I really like it. water_moon also added valid point to Merlin's answer. This is the only answer IMO, that answered the question fully, and yet creative.

Atil won the second best answer. Since I couldn't find anyone else with really good logic in their answers (eg. there are people who will like to break the rules, or change classess), creativity again played the key role here. Atil is very good at stories.

Q8, well again, I had no answer myself, so any good answer is impressive. However, I still couldn't find a single answer that deserve "the best" title, so I decided to have 2x second best. Let me explain the reason. You see, if you could wear a normal ring armor and helm, you will not exchange them for a really strong belt for protection, unless you completely lost your mind. There is no way a single belt can offer better def than a set of full armor.

Atil and fMerlin The Wizzard won. Both of them covered the whole range of "armor", not just belt (note, I asked about def in general, belt is just an example).

Q9, this is simple question, it was another "give away". The winning answer are very close.

Quickdeath won the best answer. It is good explaination, and no, I haven't see Captain America.

TheReadMenace won the second best answer. It is pretty much the same, but Quickdeath had better writing.

Q10, I was very impressed with couple of answers. It is very hard to pick the winner. BTW, I still think my standard answer is the best, most logic one. Again, I made non standard decision here.

Atil and RubenusPontius shares the best answer. If there is one close to my standard answer, these two are both very close. The bad news is each of you only get 0.5 point here.

Quickdeath won the second best, for it raised new questions and given the answer.

The following deserve nomination:

water_moon - I don't think the game/item graphics agree with you, but it is indeed interesting.

TheReadMenace - very very good one. However, I don't see how could our female heroes and barbarian who doesn't seem to wear pant could hold potions in their underwear. And I doubt many could drink from underwear, or search in his/her underwear in battle.

Last edited:

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

Score
Atil: 1 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 3
Palurien: 0.5
muzzz: 1 + 0.5 = 1.5
RubenusPontius: 0.5 + 0.5 = 1
Merlin The Wizzard: 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0.5 = 4.5
Quickdeath: 0.5 + 1 + 0.5 = 2
friedbananazzzz: 0.5 + 1 = 1.5
TheReadMenace: 0.5

The winner is Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard won this special shield.

Code:
Gemmed Monarch
'Pul'
Defense: 0
Chance to Block:  47%
Required Strength: 156
Required Level: 54
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x38583772
+30% Enhanced Defense
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Pul Rune
Inserted into a Monarch

+30% Enhanced Defense

Required Level: 45
Merlin will have the first choice of these three items of his choice, Ati has the second choice. Quickdeath will get the third one left.

Code:
1: Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 137
Durability: 9 of 12
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 80
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x3e71fed9
+119% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
20% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to All Skill Levels
Slows Target by 10%
Level 3 Venom (8/11 Charges)

2: The Stone of Jordan
Ring
Required Level: 29
Fingerprint: 0x22ea833d
+20 to Mana
Adds 1-12 lightning damage
Increase Maximum Mana 25%
+1 to All Skill Levels

3: Mara's Kaleidoscope
Amulet
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x2c832a2
+5 to Strength
+5 to Energy
+5 to Dexterity
+5 to Vitality
All Resistances +24
+2 to All Skill Levels
muzzz and friedbananazzzz, each of you can choose two charms, I will leave you guys to list which one you'd prefer. In case same charm is wanted by more than one winner, I will balance the charms myself.

RubenusPontius has the second choice, you may list one charm you want (if not available I will assign one to you randomly), and I will assign an extra one to you.

Palurien and TheReadMenace, I will assign a charm to each of you, depending on what will be left. You may still have a choice.

Code:
1: Sparking Grand Charm
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 42
Item Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0xfba4bcc3
+1 to Lightning Skills (Sorceress Only)

2: Natural Grand Charm
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0xbb7fd865
+1 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)

3: Burning Grand Charm
Item Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0x522c0de6
+1 to Fire Skills (Sorceress Only)

4: Lion Branded Grand Charm of Burning
Fingerprint: 0xc45f68be
Adds 3-7 fire damage
+1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)

5: Captain's Grand Charm
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0x868256ca
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)

6: Captain's Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x651e06a0
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)

7: Chilling Grand Charm of Dexterity
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 75
Fingerprint: 0x4f416ce6
+3 to Dexterity
+1 to Cold Skills (Sorceress Only)

8: Entrapping Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x50773793
+1 to Trap Skills (Assassin Only)

9: Fungal Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xccc49f34
+1 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)

10: Fungal Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8f7c9e67
+1 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)

11: Acrobatic Grand Charm of Frost
Fingerprint: 0x1036e365
Adds 1-2 cold damage over 1 seconds
+1 to Passive and Magic Skills (Amazon Only)

12: Entrapping Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xef23bd54
+1 to Trap Skills (Assassin Only)

13: Preserver's Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x6401c3a6
+1 to Defensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)

14: Shogukusha's Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x2486ac20
+1 to Martial Art Skills (Assassin Only)

15: Trainer's Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x7909b04a
+1 to Summoning Skills (Druid Only)
Unused prize items will be returned to their donor. And remember to include your email address.

Edit: sorry for the score mistake, I was not counting for some reason.

Last edited:

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Ehm... It's not that I particularly want to win or anything, but the way you said it,
I won Q3, Q4, Q6, Q7 and shared Q8 with Atil... Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

Ehm... It's not that I particularly want to win or anything, but the way you said it,
I won Q3, Q4, Q6, Q7 and shared Q8 with Atil... Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though
It seem random.org agree with you. Corrected.

I also want to know what do you guys and girls think about my "standard answers".

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

@Deathmaster - Your answers? Well,

1) Frankly, not so much. It seems quite elaborate, but it does explain this effect decently. While Atil provided next to no explanation, I absolutely loved his explanation :p
2) Actually, it's a great explanation, and far more logical then any other offered. (If ot does in fact block magical damage... there seems to be dispute about this).
3) Mweh. As a martial arts technique, it can be safely agreed any attack with a slow buildup sucks. No way any sane opponent would let you finish the 'cinematics' anyways :p
4) Yeah, never really been a fan of using Sci-Fi answers in fantasy settings. But that's personal. Other then that, it sounds fine really. Except your explanation of 'when they stand in a wall' makes little sense. The wormhole stays open? And why does this allow for making anohter, won't that just make it a new teleport? And if they ARE able to use that still open wormhole, won't they simply go back to the place they initated the teleport from?

5) This seems to suggest Diablo knew beforehand what Marius would do. I'd find this questionable, since Marius in effect wanted to do the right thing, so risky business really.
So no, I don't like it. Sorry :(

6) We use somewhat similar explanations, but you steer towards the better materials used in elite weapons. You have to adapt your fightingstyle with cheaper weapons trying to keep them whole. I dont mean to pat myself on the back, but I find my explanation better, allthough there is something to be said for yours.

7) A union for guilds :p You should have elaborated on it. As is, well, no comment :p

8) See 7.

9) In effect, the same as my answer :p So great work :p

10) This effect is so bizarre and surreal there is no logical explanation for it. Anything goes imho, and as such, I loved both the 'burdened pants' as the 'it's not a belt, it's really a purse!' explanations equally much (I think respectively by the ReadMenace and water_moon, applause to you both, I loved them).
I suppose your answer is as good as any, and it explains the effect well.

May I say that I thought most of you were wildly creative? Atil, water_moon, maxikec, Muzzz, Fried and the Read_menace provided some great answers imho. And kudos to Nagisa, who was certainly the fastest to provide answers to all. Too bad there's no prize for that, eh?

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member

keep in mind that my answers were drafted before I post questions here. I could do better. I don't practice MA myself, but I know a lot about it (used to read/watch a lot of MA). So ...

3) Some martial art do not seem very fast, but yet very effective. A small part of the reason is your move may look slow, but you may also change your direction/action depending on your opponent reaction. Also, those "slow" moves all have very fast release of force/action at the point of contact. In our magic D2 world, this slow move could be used to magically charge up energy. It is not always bad to be slow. majority answers suggest the move is fast but the "contact" is slow or the whole attack is slow, which does not make sense in MA. I forgot that the timing of action is very important too. Fast but wrong timing does no good at all.

4) Ever see "Stargate"? why monster or your opponent cannot enter your portal? It seems portal has magic gate to completely block the entry as wish. teleport wormhole could have a similar gate, but it closes as soon as the caster enter, and cannot be reopened. That's was just my thought, the effect of teleport is not logical, so I don't blame anyone that cannot make sense of this skill.

5) I think the evils know Marius cannot do the right thing (has no courage).

6) We have to remember that not all heroes use weapon as weapon. Some of them only hold it for other use, like MF. So the skill of the user is rather limited. Yours bet too heavy on the skill of user, however, the game suggested no matter how unskilled the user might be, the range is the same.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

In Martial arts, you can opt to change your maneuvre (well, not all the time, but a lot) depending on the changing situation. This is not an option for the Amazon attack : it has to be completed once initiated. This makes it a lethal move, and not for your opponent :p

I have seen stargate yes, but the movie, not the series (I tend to steer clear of sci fi series, allthough I watched Star Trek the next generation avidly).

You can't expect the evils know what Marius would do, and Tyrael doesn't. Yet he charges Marius with smashing the stone on the hellforge. If he was sure Marius would fail at this, he could have mentioned the hero coming to Lut Gholein (He says he's been expecting you when you free him) and charged marius to give him the soulstone...

6) Actually, a wellbalanced weapon would probably benefit an unskilled fighter more then a skilled one, since skilled fighters know how to offset the imbalance of the cheaper weapon.

Remember, you asked for opinions... I'm giving these. I'm not trying to talk your efforts down in any way.

Atil

Diabloii.Net Member

Many thanks for hosting this DeathMaster, it was a lot of fun to both create and read the explanations. A lot of very imaginative answers submitted, kudos to eveyone who entered.

Congratulations to Merlin, a very worthy winner. I thought his story of Impale was the best post in the whole thread.

The items donated by Neksja are 1.11b SC RWM/RRM, so I will not take one. Instead I would like to offer my pick to Merlin and ask that he make a character using the items won in this thread (DeathMaster seems a good name for him/her.)

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Atil, an interesting idea. Unfortunately, as my impressive graveyard can testify to, I am a HC only player as well. Besides, I don't even trade. I am going to opt for self found. I greatly fear that I would never get to create this character and make him reach the end. I wasn't in this for the reward, I was in it for the fun of the contest. And fun it was!

That shield DOES sound like a memorable trofee though, so I'd love to accept that! :)

Deathmaster, I would like thank you as well for a great contest. I missed the originals, but this was well planned and executed.

EDIT: MY email address is merlinDOTaDOTwizzard AT hotmail.com