Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The foggy image on the news...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Kiroptus, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

The foggy image on the news...

Well... I did download it.

It seems like a big foggy close-up of something. If a Silent Hill game was to be announced, that would be my guess but I doubt it since the magazine hinted at something very huge (and as much as I love Silent Hill, it isnt the AAA title to deserve big announcements).

Now lets just play with it right? Since its a lot of fun to speculate.

I tried to use some sharpen filters on photoshop but its no use, there just isnt enough resolution to make up for anything there.

The only hint that seems to point out to diablo is the fog. The only moment that this tone of dense fog was hinted was in the Diablo1 intro. Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9RG2DVqOsU

At 0:09. Its the only moment that I remember in Diablo that has the same color tone as the foggy enviroment presented in the low-res pic. Since diablo is pretty much about darkness, its quite a bright pic there.

Btw I love the atmosphere of that intro. This is why I hope that Diablo3 aims more to be Diablo1 than D2.

This could also mean Half-Life Episode 3, since Ep3 is supposed to have its finalle on a ship, it could be a sea mist that causes it.

But forget that! fingers crossed that Diablo3's announcement is near since WWI is just around the corner. Such a huge announcement would be hard to keep in secret, if this is the case soon we will know just like starcraft. There is no way blizzard can stop the implosion that Diablo 3 would cause.

Edit:

Another theory:

I did some extra things on photoshop, here is my speculation on it: (remember its just speculation! and for fun!)

Do this on photoshop, press CTRL + L to get a view on levels of gray in the image:

[​IMG]

Could this be the diablo logo? I maked with blue the "L" and "O".

And with the red marks the blazes that are always on the diablo logo title but still, the fire was always upwards and not expanding from the center. Also I did forgot to mark the blazes just in the end of the "L" and a bit near the "O" Here:

[​IMG]

Its a really vague image and since we are all thirsty for Diablo3 it seems that we end up trying to hunting things that arent even there just to satisfy our needs but its fun imo, anyway if I were to speculate that this is some information I would say that its the logo, since there is this L shape when you analyze the levels.

One thing that is mismatching: the colors, way too bright. Its possible to see it when its dark but then I just altered the levels :/ in the actual pic its much harder to picture anything on it. Was it done on pursopse or is the Diablo logo being burned with bright white flames now? Since we are supposed to see a battle between heaven and hell and what Tyrael is up to(with those bright tentacle wings), a "holy" white fire would be in the logo? I have no idea.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. PoiZonCraZy

PoiZonCraZy IncGamers Member

Re: The foggy image on the news...

it does look like an L

3. Flux

Flux Administrator

it looks like letters, but consider the size. If that's 11x11 pixels, those letters would be like, 8 point. When is there ever a game title written that small in a screenshot? They're not going to be presenting game interface (with small writing) screenshots in the first batch to introduce any new title.

4. Kiroptus

Indeed, its way too small. If its a big promo picture written "Diablo III" It certainly needed far more resolution. But wasnt it zoomed to 1000%? Also its 110 x 110 pixels not 11x11.

Unless the title is something small with a big picture on it, like some promo screens for Diablo II:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But even so, it seems like an outdated format for presenting your game, I mean, nowdays not only the resolution of pics is much higher but also they dont want the game title poluting the imagery shown on the screen.

Plus its a VERY bright image if the title is like that. But maybe its just me but it feels ripped from a movie pic. The pixels' compression seem to point something seen in a movie clip. Would that be the Diablo logo forming? No one can know.

5. Cupcakesnbeer

Cupcakesnbeer IncGamers Member

Below the "letters L & O" in your Photoshop image, it looks to me like eye sockets and the bridge of a nose rather than flames.

6. Kiroptus

Ah certainly michael can do the gothic style, I am not dismissing his artistics talents because I could never do such an good cartoony style but its just scares me a lot to think that Blizzard would want to adopt the same cartoony style so diablo can reach a "wider audience", which is the goal of all big game companies. Diablo needs a darker tone. Sorry if it seemed that I said his work was bad,(who am I to say that? If he is working for Blizzard he already achieved the status of a demi-god artist for me) I just wouldnt like to see this style on D3.

Btw my post was deleted :p and since I am kinda sleepy I really forgot what I was supposed to have written.

Wouldnt this edit on my post be a new reply? [/B][/I]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  7. Meimu

Meimu IncGamers Member

There's also a decent possibility that this German site is doing this for kicks.

L + O is just as likely to be L O L. As the end of DiabLO.

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

sorry about that, I screwed up and hit edit instead of quote, then changed part of your post when I meant to quote it and make the reply. I'll edit it again for clarity.

9. Kiroptus

no problem at all, I imagined that it was just that what happened :thumbup:

No damage done because I think I didnt really say anything important aside from the "Hellfrozenover" wallpaper and the reference to the line said by the magazine.

I was just scared because maybe my choice of words could have been perceived as if I was saying that michael's work was crap. Not only this is very rude but would also be ridiculous in the first place because he is in Blizzard. That says everything in his portfolio.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  10. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Kiroptus, how did you download that image?

11. Kiroptus

Its right on the news section, just "save image as" to somewhere. If you wanna do the gray levels thing just open it on photoshop and press CTRL + L, then change it to something similar to the first post.

12. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

OK, thanks

13. minizx

minizx IncGamers Member

14. TraderScope

TraderScope IncGamers Member

I see you have done much work in trying to solve it, but I have to disagree with you..

I see a letter "A" there on the left, it's very clear to me (I can try and edit the picture later on in ptohoshop), what comes after the "A-letter" could be number "6" possibly..

I also think that whatever is there in the picture, it's on fire..the "fog" we see is actually flames and the colors of that image has been altered to white. (btw that new picture goes well with the fire theory).

This is how I see it and although I'm a fanboy of the Diablo-series I try to look at it as neutral I possibly can :)

Lastly, I have to wonder why is this german "magazine" publishing images of this size? Is james Bond from the 70's working for them with his tiny matchbox-camera or it this just an attempt to be regognized in the field of game magazines.

15. Flux

Flux Administrator

Here's the 2nd tiny image they posted in a teasing update.

[​IMG]

More diablo-like, but let's not get too carried away; what % of computer games include something burning in the darkness? 90%? 95%?

16. okiimatsu

okiimatsu IncGamers Member

I played around with the first pic in one of my graphic programs.
    the most obvious guess for me right away was that it looks like
    teeth in a skull. sort of x-ray quality due to the blur. :smug:

17. MuntainDW

MuntainDW IncGamers Member

they took an 11x11 section of a screenshot and blew it up 1000% (10 times) to the 110x110 image you see.

basically the original was this size:[​IMG]

even if the image wasn't horribly distorted, you wouldn't be seeing anything =)

to me though, it looks like "AB"

here:
    [​IMG]

18. TraderScope

TraderScope IncGamers Member

The first letter is definetly "A" like I already said in my previous post. Then i saw a number "6" after that but could be a letter "b" also..