Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Flaming Mauler Guide!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JihadJesus, Mar 9, 2008.

1. nebux

nebux Diabloii.Net Member

Re: The Flaming Mauler Guide!

CB is the way to kill high life monsters bosses at p8 for melee chars. take a dtalon sin. low damage kick, no ds working with boots, but with some CB, OW to stop regeneration and the an insane attack speed she kill hell p8 baal in seconds.
    yes CB doens't scale with player settings, but help to sliver big life pool of a boss.
    also static is halted at half monster life in hell, so it's like have a P4 boss from then.
    my fire claws bear killed every fire imune in sight with just his 6os phase blade, gores and duress.
    with fast attcks high CB isn't needed, but with low attacks ( concentrate, berserk) you need a good pack of CB gear.

2. Nightfish

Nightfish Diabloii.Net Member

Well, nothing really scales with player settings except static field. It's just that the attacks that are based on %life will "feel" less effective. Still, if you consider a monster with 10000 HP, getting hit by crushing blow, that will be 2500 damage. On P3 that monster will have 20000 HP and still take 2500 damage. However, the damage my regular attacks deal hasn't changed either. If I deal 2000 damage per hit on p1 I deal 2000 damage per hit on p3.

What is true is that CB is relatively useless to builds with extremely high damage per swing. If you kill it in one hit, a 25% chance to take 25% of it's life isn't very interesting anymore.

Not sure if you saw my post a bit up, but just use fissure as a synergy for FC and actually cast it on OKs. They are cold immune, unlike their meat shields, which are FI, so it works fine.

3. DeathMaster

DeathMaster Diabloii.Net Member

Yes I did. Only I thought you cannot cast fissure in bear form.

I think you need to transform back to human form. I guess there is no good way to handle OKs in wolf/bear form without a very low physical damage weapon and/or support of summoning + merc.

4. nebux

nebux Diabloii.Net Member

my fire bear killed ok with im on him
    phase blade damage is so low and bear life so high
    you just need a low damage weapon and elemental damage other that fire. that with cb and ow is GG

5. yiuman

yiuman Diabloii.Net Member

Good guide - and I'm soooooooooo jealous of that sexy stick. Sorry to nitpick, but its only magic items in 1.07 that can get 4 sockets, crafted can get three and (IIRC) rares can only get 1. Therefore the best you'd get would be a perfect cruel of quickness with 4 sockets. These are indeed very very uncommon - I once saw (and bought) a 1.07 cruel war sycthe of quickness from Larzuk. So close and yet so far..... if only it was upgraded.

6. JihadJesus

JihadJesus Diabloii.Net Member

I knew craft could only get three sockets, but that's still enough for 4 frames in an ideal weapon. The rares are news to me. It's kind of theoretical anyway, as I doubt anyone has a weapon like that regardless.

7. Nightfish

Yes, of course. I'd transform out, fissure, watch OKs die, shapeshift, kill the rest. That's how I did it in normal and it seems the safest bet to me in HC. I'll keep doing it like this. :)

8. yiuman

Hmmmm, maybe I'll craft a few feral axes and see what happens......

9. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil Diabloii.Net Member

Good guide indeed. Will comment more later (but will definitely PM Shape about adding it to the Druid guide stickies).

10. JihadJesus

I should probably clarify the CB issues in the revision if I do one since that seems to be a hot point. It's not useless on higher settings, just less powerful. I also can't check the exact specs right now, but I'm pretty sure that the three socket crafts will require some fairly hefty oIAS to hit 4 frames. I'll also definitely add NF's tip for the sanctuary since it's definitely much safer and won't affect the rest of the build as well.

11. Dodgydave

Dodgydave Diabloii.Net Member

That's essentially what I was trying to say, just probably worded better. If you crush all critters in one or two swings with massive damage (which is more likely to happen at low players settings) then you don't need CB. If it takes you more than that (more likely at high players settings) then CB starts to become useful.

12. Nightfish

Actually that needs some clarifying (how is that spelled, anyway?) If you can take 75% or more of a creeps life in one hit on P1, crushing blow makes it an instant kill since it's applied first. That's what happened on some of my ribcracker chars. I remember asking about the order in which this gets applied because I was considering whether or not CB sucks for me.

13. ElMiko

ElMiko Diabloii.Net Member

Outstanding guide. Your writing style is supremely readable while still being packed with useful information.

If (WHEN!) you finalize a version of this guide, you ought to integrate some of your replies in this thread to the final draft. As with the main body of yoour guide, your replies have been, without exception, enlightening and appear well-considered.

One minor beef, though. While i mostly agree with the thrust of your argument regarding spirits, it's still not entirely acccurate. You're right that they have no resitances, but I know that Oak Sage is physical and poison immune in NM and Hell. So you have my complete agreement that facing off against ranged elemental attacks (particularly when you're using it as a one-pt-wonder) such as Big D's ring of fire, OS is not only useless but potentially dangerous. However, in all other occassions, I've found that even with one hard pt, OS can be useful. If you can get a NM or Hell Andy to target the OS, you have one of the easiest ranged battles on on your hands that you've ever had. Course, that's not much use for a build like this one. So, as I said, a wonderful guide overall.

14. JihadJesus

The Oak is PI in Hell? How did I not know that? He died CONSTANTLY with my fury wolf and rebuild and even the mid-level fire druid I tried at one point, as did the HoW my pat wol used. It could be because many of the packs that count as dangerous are uniques that often pack spectral hit, elemental auras, etc but it still seems like they died much more quickly than I would expect.

I suppose I should also note that with Shockwave they would be less likely to kick the bucket at bad times than they are for a wolf. Really though it's a bit of a moot point since you'll have plenty of life/damage without the spirit and there aren't enough skillpoints for it anyway.

15. yiuman

The only 1.07 three socket craft that can hit 4 frames is a feral axe. You'd need 40IAS and three shaels to hit it the 99IAS breakpoint. No oIAS is required. All other weapons need 4 sockets and 40IAS to hit four frames.

16. ElMiko

ElMiko Diabloii.Net Member

MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA. Only PI in NM.

17. jasonmazzy

jasonmazzy Diabloii.Net Member

Could U answer this with ur opinion plz

18. Dodgydave

Dodgydave Diabloii.Net Member

Ah that's interesting.

Would a melee charater like this one hit kill critters at players one?

Been a long time since I played at that setting and I don't really have the uber gear to make an absolute killing machine anymore.

19. pharaoh

pharaoh Diabloii.Net Member

I still don't get why people keep saying that Crushing Blow is less powerful at higher /playersx settings. True, it doesn't increase the damage on higher settings, but the same is true of every other skill in the game, with the exception of Static Field (which is capped in NM and Hell anyways). I mean, if I said that Fire Claws became less powerful on higher settings, that wouldn't be true, and CB is the same way.

Yes, it's true that it is less powerful relative to total monster life, but in absolute terms, CB's power hasn't changed a bit. It's only monster life that's changed (well, and monster damage, but that's not relevant here).

20. yiuman

I quite agree - if anything, CB is more powerful at higher player settings as the mobs life takes longer to go down, which means that it does more damage on follow up swings.

Its the same as people saying that CE only works on P1 - not true at all.