Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Ferguson riots.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, Nov 25, 2014.

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Might as well post something for a consolidated thread, since there may be questions about what's may be blasted across television for a while. Putin and the Iranians must be laughing their asses off.

Since many OTF'ers are not able to see American TV, in a nutshell there was a man named Michael Brown who was shot to death by a police officer named Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri. Michael Brown was not armed. A grand jury decision was leaked to the media early yesterday, and the determination was that Officer Wilson would not be charged (i.e. it was a fair shooting under police guidelines). Last night riots with looting and arson erupted in Ferguson.

[​IMG]

There's so much misinformation floating around that I can't even find a solid, unbiased treatment quickly. Pretty much all media articles cited the testimony of Michael Brown's buddy as accurate, but his testimony was contradicted by others', and did not coincide with the assorted autopsies conducted on Brown's corpse.

Now to the less-than-objective stuff - Brown was a punk, pure & simple, even though his family insists he was pure as the driven snow. Despite the media casting him as a "youth" or "boy", he was 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) tall and weighed 292 lb (132 kg). Furthermore, he was an aspiring gang-banger type, putting pictures of himself flashing gang hand signs on the Internet, and just before being confronted by Officer Wilson he had assaulted a smoke shop owner and stolen a box of cigars.

What I find worse than disgusting about this entire affair is that all the race-baiting types, including President Obama and his closest buddy Al Sharpton, are rushing to judge Officer Wilson as a murderer. This despite 12-year-old Tamir Rice was gunned down by Cleveland (Ohio) police for playing with an Airsoft gun despite the 911 caller specifically pointing out that it was likely a toy gun.

There are very real problems with racism in America, and moreover there are severe problems with police brutality in America. The shooting in Ferguson very likely wasn't either - until it was made into one.

Clark Chavez likes this.
  2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, I has been on the news numerous times here, and I've read several articles about it (both cases).

And for all the information I have (and confirmed by you) I can only agree with you on just about everything you said.
    (we didn't get any details as to why the situation occured and didn't get any background for the youth)

As far as the riots go, people are idiots, we've had the same problem with a national strike here last week:
    people broke up the streets to throw the bricks at cops/houses/cars,
    they burned down (cars mostly) anything they could get their hands on, and they were proud of it...

(they even took relfie's [riot-selfie] posing in front of a burning police motorcycle they just put on fire)

Clark Chavez likes this.
  3. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Yep, what DM said.

One question though - did Obama really go out on a limb before the GJ decision?
    Not very politician-y of him!!1!eleven!!

4. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

As the evidence came out on this one, it became a fairly clear cut "good shooting" early on, as most of them do. But that never stops the race baiters and people just looking to make trouble. I've seen them claim that the officer should be indicted and convicted based solely on the witness testimony that Brown had his hands up and was on his knees at the time he was shot, despite those same witnesses being almost immediately discredited by the physical evidence and some of them admitting that they just made it up. They decided he was a murderer the moment they heard he was white and Brown was black.

Unfortunately this also means that that officer's life is over regardless of what the jury decided. He has no choice but to move and start over and hope nobody finds him. I doubt if it's even safe enough for him to be a cop again anywhere. Because of the decision not to indict, everyone on that jury is also in danger if their identities are ever discovered.

Not sure what your point is with the Airsoft story, other than that the boy is a better victim for the propaganda and rhetoric. The information provided in the articles makes it look more like a tragic but excusable chain of circumstances.

Yeah, he does that a lot. Pretty much every time one of these police racism stories gets blown way out of proportion, he's there to blow it up even more.

Clark Chavez likes this.
  5. LozHinge the Unhinged

Well, if that is true of Obama, I have to say ... what a plonker.

6. Dawnmaster

Hamster Huey and the gooey KABLOOIE!

7. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Point being that if someone wants to make claims (which I believe are mostly disingenuous anyway), why make them about a thug who is rumored to have been linked to 2nd degree murder charges rather than about a 12-year-old who was shot needlessly? All the claims made regarding Brown can't be contested with regard to Rice, particularly since Rice was a little kid and the phone complaint already identified his weapon as possibly being a toy. If there's a better argument for use of tasers, I'm unsure what it would be.

Incidentally, I understand precisely WHY the courts are slow-boating the request for Brown's juvenile records. I'm not sure I agree with their logic, but if Brown was a Crip they almost certainly believe that releasing that information would make matters worse. To my mind, however, theirs is the same sort of bad call as is often made regarding Mumia or other cases where the race-mongers have stirred hatred - by not loudly pointing out that the victim is not an angel, the community organizer types are allowed to continue to proclaim his purity to the point of stupidity.

[​IMG]

It also gives the family a sense of being able to "get some" - which is never a good thing.
    There was a fun cartoon with Holder & Obama driving the Dept. of Justice "fire truck" to the scene - of course, the truck was a gasoline hauler. There's really no other way to spin it, considering that the disgraced Holder was making assertions that the DoJ will re-try the issue and investigate both Officer Wilson and the Ferguson P.D. for civil rights violations. He made these assertions after THE WON told everyone to calm down.

There's plenty of nastiness on the "right" about the handling of the situation. Particularly that Obama apparently said that we are a nation that respects the rule of law...

The truly sick thing about <that> is, the Ferguson P.D. very well might have race relation problems. I read early on that the town is majority black but the P.D. is majority white. Chances are there's no way any issues will be rationally addressed now. I know one common belief is that police need to be of the same race and drawn from the same neighborhoods to be truly effective - but if I was someone motivated to "serve & protect" the last thing I'd want is to have to be stuck patrolling a cesspool I climbed out of purely because of my skin color.

EDIT - I should point out that one of the few issues I'm somewhat torn about is the concept that Officer Wilson pursued Brown before shooting him. Seriously, though, what is it about modern police procedures, aside from the sort of spectacle we're seeing nowadays, that makes people think they can ignore the police? I think the obvious solution, and one that if anything deserves federal support ought to be it, is to have police wear evidence cameras (contrary article posted for interest).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Clark Chavez likes this.
  8. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Cross post of my comment on this in the politics thread.
    BobCox2, post: 8663355, member: 315878"]Ferguson Missouri in the news with looting and protests.
    meh - I hate scum and stupidity.

Store owner who was robbed by Micheal Brown had his store looted tonight.
    [​IMG]
    Poor Guy.

Doubt Insurance covers civil unrest or multiple occurrences without new deductibles and rates in that town are going up everyone.

Shiting your bed in protest would serve the community better.

Quick Copy pasta that mirrors a lot of my opinions.

I think that cases like Brown/Zimmerman/etc. where the evidence is sketchy is what the politicos want. They want 'social justice' to be greater than regular justice. When the truth isn't known, they always pounce. I'm not sure of the motive.

What pisses me off is that when there is real racism in the government, nobody does shit: google Cory Maye.
    No riots, no Sharpton, no presidential speech, nothing. Cory Maye is out of jail, but his conviction stands.
    I cannot understand how people lose their shit over Brown, but not Maye.

I had a 1/2 duplex once and some drunk gangbaners in a fight over the park we were on the corner of vandalised the other 1/2 (empty thank god) of it and then the other gang countered by driving a stolen car into the other half at 2:00 AM.
    I Bought my 12 Gauge the next day, But I'm a Male Wasp.

Look up Kalief Browder too. He spent three years in jail awaiting a trial he never got. He was accused of stealing a backpack on shoddy evidence. He refused every plea deal they put in front of him and maintained his innocence. The trial continually got delayed until they dismissed the case. He missed his high school graduation, basically the start of his adult life, and was never even given a chance to defend himself.

There's all sorts of messed up things you can find and complain about, I really don't know why Michael Brown is the one that stirred everyone up. I personally think all the evidence points to self defense. But ultimately, nobody protesting (or supporting the cop) were there, so how can you act so 100% sure you knew what happened? Meanwhile there are all these cases where we KNOW exactly what happened and nobody cares.[/QUOTE]

:D Nuff Said

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Clark Chavez likes this.
  9. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Spews Again
    What I hate is it sets the GOP to spin this anti - Obama.
    seems ALMOST like a tragedy Orchestrated in a little town in the south to order by the GOP.

All I can tell you is those people don't feel like entitled Americans and that's what it's about.

GOP got control lets see if they ignore the problem and cause another uprising.

I'm betting that poor class with no rights is going to be expanded in America.

No matter the spin

10. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

At risk of collapsing the space-time continuum, I have to say I totally agree with Merv on this one.

There are a lot of legit grievances there and throughout the country, but this case is not the pole from which to fly the flag. The shame of what's going on is that reacting this strongly over a seemingly quite justifiable case like this discredits their legitimate complaints. They should be protesting. They should have been protesting a long time ago. But not over this.

Also, it looks like the media finally got the riot they were working so hard for. *golf clap*

Clark Chavez likes this.
  11. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

The problem is you get a lot of darwin awards, in a system that is set up to hand them out on a racial basis.

Don't fool yourself that's what people riot about - the system is giving them no choice and that not a good POV for the system to send..

If that's OK with you cause you're not in the losing group **** U.

Can I get a OK from the JEWS and GERMans?

lesson learned yet? /s or /Racist comment?

Words or actions? what hurts or help U ?
    DAM STUPID RIOTING PEOPLE !
    Go home and shit your bed you will have a better tomorrow.
    MEH
    Cause what just changed, from their POV?

Oh. Nothing.

12. Dawnmaster

Out of curiosity, since this is mostly a racial problem to the riot activists:
    do we have any non-white people on these boards, what do they make of this whole situation?

- the incident itself
    - the trial following the incident
    - the riots following the trial
    - the discussions on these boards following all of the above

13. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

14. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

All I have to say on the matter:

- The investigation was handled poorly.
    - Public relations was managed poorly.
    - The relationship between the press and the police was poor.
    - The cop was tried and found guilty in the court of public opinion months ago.
    - I will not endorse looting, arson and vandalism no matter what the circumstances are.
    - Peaceful protest, yes. Civil disobedience, yes. Rioting, no.

Clark Chavez likes this.
  15. Dawnmaster

Upon discussing this matter with a colleague at work,
    he mentioned that the spark of rascism was lit when
    the cop was found not guilty in court, by a jury where the majority was white,
    whereas he would have been found guilty in court, would the majority of the jury have been black...

16. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Stop channeling the Lefty tinfoil-hatted media, Bob, it makes you sound like a moron. The Governor is a Democrat, and MO has a strong Democrat tradition - the Mayor is one of the first GOP elected recently. You KNOW that the Democrats are the party of racism and Bull Connor.
    Actually, I think the rioters feel quite entitled. Too much so. They're acting like it's a wild block party. There's a large number of them who are the white 'rent-a-riot' types normally found in Seattle, but apparently there was a discouragingly large number of those arrested last night that are Ferguson residents.
    I don't think that's relevant, actually - in fact, it's implicitly racial if not racist. Why should one care less or more about a life depending upon the color of one's skin?

That being said, I'm black using the 'just one drop' or "paper bag" attitude traditional on the racist Left, I believe Evilfury is hispanic, and I think Bob's extended family is pretty obvious.

As I said earlier, Brown was a punk, if not an actual thug and gang-banger. Snopes is claiming that a "rap sheet" passed on the Internet is false (likely because the mail message is loaded with racist invective) but are doing so without any proof - pretty disgusting for a supposed truth-seeking site. I already mentioned that I think it's a horrible idea to not release information of this nature, since Brown is dead and has no right to privacy.
    That's the problem with the Left's objectives; a nation 'not of laws but of men' meaning justice is partial and biased depending upon who you are and who has power. We weren't always that way, but have been increasingly so for a while, and we're to the point that you're probably guilty of something no matter what. That's simply inviting the abuses of a police state, which is why the legitimate protester's claims can't be dismissed out-of-hand.

The proceedings of the Grand Jury are legally sealed, so you won't find out if there was a jury split unless someone breaks the law. However, many of the exculpatory witnesses were black, and many of the "witnesses" telling fables of Brown being gunned down as he knelt were fabrications - some "witnesses" weren't there, and the primary one was Brown's partner in crime.

Clark Chavez likes this.
  17. LozHinge the Unhinged

Aren't riots normally about smashing windows and grabbing everything you can carry? The hard part is having "a thing" you can say you are rioting about - you have to be lucky and grab opportunities when they happen.

Yes, I'm sure there's a tiny minority that is filled with outrageous outrage and can only express themselves through the gentle art of mayhem but for the majority, it's all about the "Hey a free TV!!one!!1!". Right?

jmervyn likes this.
  18. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Yeah, but if we use that theory then I'm royalty. Got some direct ancestors with the titles King and Queen and such. I'm not exactly expecting to spend my latter years sitting on the throne of England here. ;)

I agree that it's irrelevant, though I'd take it a step further and say questions like that shouldn't even be asked anywhere anymore. Just get rid of those boxes on forms and surveys entirely. We're almost in 2015, not 1950. The number one thing that's really keeping racism as alive as it is is people raising their kids on a steady diet of "The white man is out to get you.", who then go out dressed like a thug with gang tats and angry faces and get upset when someone treats them like a thug with gang tats and angry faces. A lot of these cases end up being ones you can't help but shake your head at and say they should really put down the stolen T.V. before accusing the cop of being racist for accusing them of stealing a T.V.

jmervyn likes this.
  19. Dawnmaster

It's not relevant to the story, I was merely attempting to point out that it isn't supposed to be a racial thing.
    Black or white alike, people here seem to agree on opinions in favor of the cop, that was my only point.
    Nobody here is choosing the side of Mr Brown because of his colour, or because of Mr Cop's colour.

I've mentioned it a few times before, in other threads as well, people are idiots, nomatter which race they belong to.
    I've always hated going with the flow, and I've been teased a lot for it, but on several occasions it paid off handsomely ^^
    So I stick to my own side and my own ways, regardless of public opinion/riot, as long as my life isn't on the line...

20. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Stuff crashed yesterday when I made my post, so what I was saying was that this thing is probably blown so hugely out of proportion that in a few years, people wont even remember the guys name anymore.o_O

That is how I read this on the other side of the planet.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014