Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The fate of Diablo(and his soulstone)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Droezd, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Droezd

Droezd IncGamers Member

The fate of Diablo(and his soulstone)

In a teaser trailer for Diablo 2, found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVv41NarVP4,
    you see the Dark Wanderer sitting at the back of a wagon talking about what has happened since he left Tristram. He is holding Diablo's soulstone in his hands, but the trailer ends with him throwing it away and leaving it in the mud.
    When next you see it, it is embedded in the forehead of Diablo, when you fight him in the game.
    If he needed it, why did he throw it away?
    My thought is that it's not the same stone. I don't think that you have destroyed Diablo nor his soulstone. Maybe he got his hands on another stone, the stone that you see smashed in the cinematic, in order to pretend to die, but actually live on. This could explain him being i Diablo 3.
    I don't know if the trailer is considered canon, however, but in any case, let me know what you think

Droezd

(Also, if this has already been covered on the forum, I apologise.)

2. skyjuice

skyjuice IncGamers Member

Re: The fate of Diablo(and his soulstone)

Diablo's soulstone wasn't destroyed.

Alot of people assume that the cutscene at end of act 4 when the narrator (marius?) says the SOULSTONE at hellforge was destroyed it was actually Mephisto's. (Mephy dropped his stone at durance 3 remember?)

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Diablo and Baal are simply killed by the PC, whatever happened to their soulstones, only Blizzard can think of.

3. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

We see both (Diablo's and Mephisto's smash. Also, he says stones.

4. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Of course it's Diablo's soulstone destroyed at the cutscene. Mephisto's was already destroyed by YOU in the forge quest :)

5. skyjuice

skyjuice IncGamers Member

I just rewatched that cutscene. There was no mention of soulstoneS. The PC destroyed the soul stone at hellforge, and that was what the cutscene is about. You smashing meph's soul stone!

6. Droezd

Droezd IncGamers Member

I just watched the Epilogie for Diablo 2 and I quote: "I heard later that he was defeated, and the soulstone(s) were destroyed at hellforge. All except one." You see the hammer strike down twice. The first stone bluish or purple and the second one red. Two soulstones are destroyed. Mephisto's AND Diablo's.

7. Angel_of_Wrath

Angel_of_Wrath IncGamers Member

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen this... but a 10 year gap might do that to a person..

It is possible that the Diablo stone smashed in the D2 epilogue was a false stone, but I dont think this trailer is real lore. It seems really weird that the wanderer could drop the stone, after he drove it into his forehead at the end of D1. Doesn't make sense. Why was he holding it?

8. prion

prion IncGamers Member

that was his anni

hmm actually.....it could have been another shard, since Lazarus released Diablo by smashing the stone.

So maybe Diablo possesed the body of the Hero completely, trapped the Hero's soul in that shard, and then chucked him in the mud!

9. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

If you are the master of the underworld, you call pull a stone out of your head and hold it in your hands.

10. sirwhere

the soulstone that's left is BAAL's :)

my guess is that the hordes of hell will emerge from the destroyed worldstone keep and we, the heroes, have to go deep inside hell itself to slay the root of all evil (whatever that might be - probably the developer's head.. lol).

Expect thus an MMORPG with every human player joining in the quest to rid the world of demons once and for all.

11. prion

prion IncGamers Member

"once and for all"?? that would prevent them from making another sequel..

12. sirwhere

ok change that to "over and over again" :p

13. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

I haven't seen the cinematics in a while, but if my memory serves me correctly, the cinematic goes something like this: "I heard later that He was defeated. And the soulstone destroyed by Hellforge. All except one". It just said that Diablo had been defeated, no mention of his soulstone being destroyed.

Also, I have a question: Would the Prime Evils be stronger if they hadn't been imprisoned in their soulstones by Tyrael?

14. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

I think so. I believe the reason Diablo was hiding beneath Tristram in D1 and in the Chaos Sanctuary in D2 was to regain his strength.

15. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Both Mephisto's stone and Diablo's stone were destroyed by the end of Diablo II. At the beginning of LoD the only stone left is Baal's, however, we never see Baal's stone destroyed and the ending makes no mention of such an event occurring. We don't even see his stone. That does not change the fact that both of the other soulstones are destroyed.

Major spoilers ahead.

As for Diablo 1, Diablo was defeated in the same area that Baal was. This is PRIOR to the game. Both of them were trapped within soulstones, but reason Tal Rasha had to contain Baal within himself is because Baal's stone was smashed into pieces during the battle. Diablo, on the other hand, was fully entombed within the stone, which was moved to the church in Tristram for safe guarding. Eventually Diablo was able to regain enough strength the corrupt the stone, and then begin to corrupt the clergy.

Start Diablo 1.

Diablo corrupted Lazarus and had the Arch Bishop bring King Loric's son to him so he could possess the boys body, which would allow him to manifest himself in physical form again. Well, along comes the hero, who happens upon a still weakened Lord of Terror. Diablo is defeated and the hero, in his foolishness, jams the stone into his head. I don't know if he was trying to contain Diablo, or if he thought it'd grant him power... or what... but he did it. Within a few short days the hero of Diablo I begins to be corrupted by Diablo, which brings us to Diablo II...

In Diablo II, the Dark Wanderer (Diablo as he is trying to fully consume the hero from Diablo I) begins to make his way to the Tomb of Tal Rasha, where he can free Baal. Of course he is successful, and while all of that was going on Meph had succeeded in corrupting the priesthood in Kurast. He is ever so patiently waiting for his two brothers to join the party and venture into hell with him. Sadly, the hero(s) of Diablo II soon nearly catches the three. However, Diablo and Baal have already flown the coop. That doesn't stop us from taking out Meph, though!

In Act 3 we beat the snot out of the eldest brother and head into Hell to face down with Diablo. Of course, along the way we stop by the Hellforge and rid ourselves of that nasty soulstone from Meph (and hopefully get a nice Gul, Mal, or Ist for our trouble). Then of course comes the confrontation with Diablo himself. After we take him out we get a lovely cinematic, showing us that in fact, yes, his stone was destroyed after we beat him senseless.

Like I said, Diablo's stone is destroyed.

16. Angel_of_Wrath

His soulstone was destroyed yes, but not his soul...? The stone was merely a device to contain the evil, which Diablo had found way to corrupt. Did defeating him on the mortal plane destroy him forever, or banish him back to the demon realm?

Also IIRC, Baal combine his stone with the Worldstone to corrupt it.

17. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

i read from other thread that the soulstones themselves were like tickets to enter mortal relam. Once destroyed, they will be sent back to hell and nv again reach mortal relam, unless they reforge the soulstones.

hmm but The 3 prime Evils Were said to be banished to mortal relam by the lesserEvil.. ok.. so..

hmm. who/how(what) make the soulstones?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  18. prion

prion IncGamers Member

Tyrael made the Soulstones out of pieces of the Worldstone. (I beleive Cain explains this somehwere in-game)

The soulstones create a "spiritual vacuum" when activated. They have the power to suck in and contain any non-corporeal entity. When the stone is shattered, that particular feature is broken. (D1 manual, pg 77)

Interestingly, Diablo had some form of mind powers while still in his stone:
    The manual devotes 5 pages to the Sin War and the Binding of the Three, 6 pages to "The Return of Teror", and a page from Jered Cain explaining the origin and use of soulstones, and the fate of Tal Rasha.

19. Angel_of_Wrath

Hmm that's sort of contradictory. If smashing the stone releases the bound spirit, why smash the rest of them. And if it was smashed, how could the hero drive it into his head... I gotta look up some lore now to find out more.

20. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

So when we fight Diablo in DI and DII he's not at his full strength?

Also, about the trailer on the first post, it seems to me like that was the hero from DI talking, as I doubt that Diablo would have been able to take control of him that quickly. Maybe that's why he shot the stone in the mud?