Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Extreme Zealot (build concept / guide)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by King's Specter, Mar 26, 2004.

1. King's Specter

King's Specter IncGamers Member

The Extreme Zealot (build concept / guide)

Cross-posted from forums which must not be named:

Note: This is a bit of an extreme build is intended for SC PvM. I intend to make one is SP so I can play with some of the 1.07/1.08 toys that I've found, but it should work well in realms / ladder play also.

The zealot is by far my favorite D2 class to play. After several zealots of various flavors, I wanted to make one that does as much damage as possible. These 10-15K hammerdins were starting to bug me. :) I've found that with some high-end gear, and a willingness to live on the edge, a zealot can do some serious damage. Want a 10k, 5-frame zeal? Read on.

A standard fanatic zealot is a blast to play and can do a substantial amount of damage. The trouble is that a fanatic zealot has so much off-weapon ED that adding more by pumping strength or using a might merc generates an unsatisfying amount of additional damage.

Enter the Extreem Zealot, aka the Lightning Enchanted Extreme Titan (1337) Pally. Unlike Wurmer's Tesladin, the Extreme Zealot aims to max both physical and elemental damage at the same time. In so doing, he will be doing a huge amount of damage per hit, and rarely encounter a critter he can't damage. The concept is closer to a lightening version of Kitriara's frost zealot decked out for max damage.

Stat Points:

Str: Everything that doesn’t go to dex.
    Dex: Just enough to max block with your final shield
    Vit: Nothin’ - that's right!
    Energy: 1 point :)

Going with a near-titan build helps make up for the damage you loose by not having fanaticism active. This dangerous decision yields a much better (percentage wise) benefit for this build that it would for a pure zealot.

If you intentionally wear a guardian angel or whitstan's guard for the blocking bonus, you could consider putting the points saved from dex into either vita or str.

Skills (108 needed):

Sacrifice: 20
    Zeal: 20
    Holy Shield: 1
    Holy Shock: 20
    Lighting Resist: 20
    Salvation: everything else

This is achievable at lvl 96. If you plan to use a call to arms on switch, you could save 5 levels by finding a caduceus with + to holy shield.

This is all about damage. If you want utility skills, find a nice scepter.

Gear (end game):

Whether played in SP, Ladder, or non-ladder, this is certainly a rich twinker build.

You need 65% IAS with this build to hit a 5-frame zeal and 200% for a 4-frame. I’ll stick with 5-frame for now, 200 IAS is not quite possible without giving up my favorite armor.

Hat:

Harly - +2 skills and life. Being a titan build, you REALLY need the life from this.

A godly 2-socket diadem - +2 skills, big life, resists, strength (drool)

Socket with a nice ED jewel, or a rare jewel with ED and resists.

Weapon:

Redeemer - +2 skills, up to 300 average damage, free redemption, no zod required. A Lo rune would be best, a big ED/+max would be next best.

Now that we know how the +damage mod works, a good redeemer is far and away the best weapon for maxing both elemental and physical damage.

Shield:

HoZ for +2 / +2 Combat Skills.
    Exile Shield
    Stormshield - Big PDR, +Str, Resists

As you’ll see, your merc is more aggressive in this build - an exile shield may help keep him alive. You’d be sacrificing an ED jewel slot and a good amount of str (due to the lower base block). Ladder players may need to sacrifice some damage for the ruggedness that a Stormshield offers.

Amulet:

Highlord’s Wrath +1 skills, 30ish deadly strike, 20IAS
    Magic Amulet: +3 offensive, +100 life
    Rare Amulet: +2 skills, 60 life, strength, resists

I like the highlords for the huge to average PD, but durability may dictate one the other choices.

Armor:

1.07 Valor (non-ladder) A 1.07/1.08 valor is powerful on any character, but if you have one, you can hear is wispering "please make and extreem zealot for me".
    1.10 Valor
    Shafty
    Artisan's something of the Whale
    Spirit Forge (upgraded)
    Guardian Angel

As much as I'd like to dedicate the armor slot to even more damage, you REALLY need some plus life gear. You could, at last resort, go with Guardian Angel and put the dex blocking points you'd save into vita.

Gloves: Anything with 20 IAS. A dual leech rare with resists would be nice. LoH is always a good choice, but the redeemer is already giving you a nice damage to demon bonus. Any one of the elite gloves are nice, if you can get the IAS elsewhere.

Belt:

Rare - life and resists
    Thundergod's - nice life and strength, 95% LR!!!
    Vert's Coil - Life and PDR
    Trang's Belt - Life and Antifreeze

I avoided the unique spiderweb sash because you'll really need the belt spot to fill combat related needs.

Boots:

War Travellers
    Gore Riders
    Rare

Gore Rides give you the most damage output, but War Travellers aren’t too far off and offer MF, life, and strength. You may be short on resists, so consider a rare here too.

Rings: BK, baby! Two if you’ve got antifreeze from belt or shield, a frosty if you don’t.

Charms: If you see a Captian's Grand Charm of Vita drop, pk anyone who gets near it! :) Someday you’d like to have 8 "Captian's grand charms of something useful". Those silly hammerdin players will probably trade you two of those for one of those useless + combat skills ones. :p

Fill in the spaces around your grand charms with as much resist and life as you can muster.

The numbers:

Plus all skills: 11
    Plus combat skills: 2
    Plus offensive auras: 8

Approx Str bonus with gear: 400%
    Zeal bonus with Sacrifice: 414% (330% AR)
    Off Weapon ED: 120%
    Might Merc ED: 200% ish

Redeemer Damage (near perfect): 300 avg
    Off-weapon damage: 50 avg
    Deadly Strike: 53%
    Average physical damage: 4317, 6608 after DS

Average holy shock damage: 5203, 869 pulse (check me, please! )
    Average damage (total): 11,811 5-frame zeal BooYA!

Merc Suggestions:

A might merc is a must for this build. He’s going to have a harder time of it than a HF merc, so you’ll have to keep an eye on him. Gaze/Shaft/Reapers would be the standard gear. I may try giving him an eth crescent moon stick to get the static effect, if I end up with an amp damage weapon on switch. Upgrade the armors and definitely use a CM if you use an Exile shield.

Alternate gear:

BotD – Duh
    Beast – The added ED and IAS seems a no-brainer for this build, but you’ll end up doing much less physical damage overall because of the lower weapon damage.
    Crescent Moon – Perfect weapon for a pure shocker, you pay a heavy price in physical damage. This may be good for PI intense areas.
    Your fist: good for clearing out non-LI monsters in an IM intense area.

Weapon Switch:

Call to Arms: More life is good, and your +skills will really boost your BO. You can also snag a caduceus with + skills in holy shield to let you max 5 levels earlier and sanctuary or vigor to have some free handy skills.

Lacerator: Amp them, switch, kill them. You can also chuck them at any LI bad guys you come across in IM intense areas.

Widowmaker Bow: Heat seeking zappers = fun! Again for IM areas.

Build Strengths:

Possibly the highest damage output per second for a solo melee character: I haven't checked the other character classes closely, but this guy is doing some incredible damage with a fast zeal.

Fun Pally party character: With other offensive and defensive auras in play, you can be a nice guy and use salvation - and STILL do huge amounts of physical damage. If there's a conviction pally around, your lightning damage becomes unthinkable.

Build Weaknesses:

You'll be a paper tiger, at least until late in life. Consider trading damage for +life and DR items if things get frustrating.

Resists: You'll always be short on resists, but there's good news here. You'll have a high-level salvation aura as part of this build, and YOU CAN STILL HURT THINGS while you have it going!

MF: There's little room for MF in this build. You can, however, easily reduce your average damage for MF sake and still be an effective killer.

Thanks for reading all this. Please post if you see mistakes or have suggestions.

-KS

2. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

o wait..nvm im a moron..

i just answered my own question..

this is a pvm build ........

hehe...

3. King's Specter

Definitely PvM. I probably should have put that in the title..

4. King's Specter

Wow. I wasn't looking for high praise, but I thought it was an interesting idea and expected SOME kind of response - some criticism at least..

What's wrong? Already been done? Too long? Just plain wrong? Too many spelin mistacs?

-KS

5. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Its kinda slow and what about resistance?

6. prion

prion IncGamers Member

wouldn't a cracked scimitar be faster than your fist?

7. jb4479

jb4479 IncGamers Member

Looks pretty good to me, I had a shock zealot for a while, but abandoned it when I realized that I screwed up on the stat point placement (working on a new one!!). Might I suggest a Holy Thunder for your weapon, good physical damage as well as the bonuses to Holy Shock. Or Heaven's Light with Rainbow Facets. For resists, definitely go with an upgraded GA, would also go with a HoZ for the resists.

Good job. :thumbsup:

8. King's Specter

Thanks for the feedback. :)

@jb: Your're right, holy thunder would be a great leveling weapon. The Heaven's light with RB is a great weapon too, but I went with the redeemer to push the physical damage as far as it would go.

@prion: I was just joking, but after running my test build for awhile, it is VERY satisfying to be able to keep killing monsters after your sword breaks! But you're right, you want a fast, low-damage weapon for that.

@Dracoy: Slow? A slow read or a slow buid? It'll take awhile to level him up to full power, but I think that once he's there, he should be quite a killing machine - if he can stay alive long enough. Resists are going to be a little low, but you can fall back to LR or Salvarion when under elemental fire and still do a lot of physical damage. You could also keep a 4P pally resist shield on switch.

-KS

9. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Slow speed. Wouldnt it be kinda slow for speed? I like a good wholesome 4fps o_O

10. King's Specter

Ah, true. It's painful to have to 5-frame zeal, but the price you pay in pysical damage to get a 4-frame weapon would be tremendous. You can get there, but you'd have to dedicate all you gear to IAS:

Helm: 45%
    Armor: 60%
    Shield: 60%
    Weapon: 15%
    Ammy: 20%

I have a schaefer's hammer fanatic zealot and he just mows through the critters even with a 5fps attack. With the damage an extreme zealot will be going, I don't think that the slower speed should be a show stopper.

-KS

11. Vesio

Vesio IncGamers Member

question: doesn't the doom runeword have a holy freeze mod? would that help the merc to stay alive? also make it easier for you to stay alive? I haven't done anything with multiple auras like that so i dont know if it would work but you might consider it.

12. King's Specter

A might merc with doom would be an great. I didn't think to add it because I'll never be likely to see a cham. :)

Failing that, I'm leaning toward a holy freeze merc with a crescent moon (for the static) and using a 160ish ED shield. I'll have to play around once I get him leveled up.

13. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

use a normal dagger for iron maiden, 1-4 damage and -20 speed

on a side note
    WOOOHOOO 1,000 posts

14. Vesio

Vesio IncGamers Member

true, i probably never will see a cham either. But i thought i would mention it. if you are playing on sp there is most likely some way to get the runes that you would be needing.

15. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Definately a SC build. Resists look really low. Just some quick mental math gave me -20% resists in hell if he doesn't socket anything and doesn't use charms. You are going to need some really good charms.
    Question: what happens when you go against physical immunes or skeles? the build looks like it won't survive if you don't leech

O/T question: I know there is no longer a specified pally forum mod but has LovelyGods temporarily filled the void? I haven't visiting the pally forum much for a while now and I've seen that LovelyGods is sporting Ragnorod's old avatar.

16. PuSs Says Go Time

PuSs Says Go Time IncGamers Member

~don't know why i'm posting can't answer your question wuhan~
    but rag's gone and lovely kindly has taken a liking to being mod like so i have no problems with his authority.

different build seems alright tho,phys+lightdmg, nice combo but wouldn't u need something to kill the phys immune/light resist monsters.

smitebarb>smitedin~

17. jb4479

jb4479 IncGamers Member

For that you have a point in Vengeance. Or you switch your aura to Holy Freeze. With +skills either of these should work nice.

18. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

too many problems in hell with all the lit immune monsters out there. Made a frost zealot the only day and got killed in hell, 1/3 of the monsters have cold immunes and i couldnt do anything about them.

19. King's Specter

The rules of the SP community I play / trade with are: Playing retro versions - OK, Downloading / creating items: not ok. I'm more likely to see a 1.08 saracen than a cham. :) I could make one just for testing, but I'm enjoying my own character.

Resists: Keeping sanctuary handy has worked very nicely in testing so far, even at level 9. It has the added bonus of keeping your merc out of trouble when things get hot. Poison is a pain since salvation won't help. If you find that you are using a resist aura all the time (baal runs? ), it's probably better to sacrifice some max damage to get your resists from gear instead. For the pit, you should be able to keep HS going (almost) all the time.

LI/PI: Amp 'em! Keep something of amp damage on switch or give up the static field and give your merc a reaper's. I've seen VERY few LI/PI critters that are amp proof too. If that fails, there's always the way of Sir Robin.

Undead: He's fine most of the time, but the danger is getting hemmed in by by skellies and then picked off by archers. An exile shield, dracul's grasp, or even a lowly wand of LT would take care of this. Another option would be to burn two skill points and get a point into sanctuary. A better option is to make sure your call-to-arms caddy has + to sanc. :) The coolest option is to whip out the azurewrath. :p

And it's definitely, definitely, definitely a SC build.

-KS

20. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

ROFLMAO Nice Monty Python reference.