The Executress - an approach of Enchant sorceresses

Liessa Wyrmbane

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
ABOUT IAS:
Kingslayer already has 30% IAS inherent. So when you say 45% IAS in your table does that mean, that those 45% are the additional IAS you need, or do you just need to reach the 45% by adding up on the 30% IAS from Kingslayer?
75% IAS would be the breakpoint. So you will need 45% extra IAS in addition to the 30% from Kingslayer.

I quickly tried this build in single player with an editor and it's quite doable, even in HC. I had some troubles at first, but eventually I found a set-up that I really liked and will start building it asap. :D

squigipapa

Diabloii.Net Member
Diabolic Apom said:
Memory is only useful for ES. As my build was intended, you don't switch to cast spells you naturally have, only those you don't (ie not in the path you've chosen), so I wouldn't recommend it. If you naturally have it and still want to pre-buff, the extra enchant from Leaf is more useful than the extra ES from Memory.
"Fire bolt" will be corrected ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't memory and leaf be exactly the same .. bonus wise.

Memory gives +3 to all skills,

Leaf gives +3 to fire skills,

Either way, your Enchant & Fire Mastery are getting a boost of +3 each.

If you make Leaf in a staff with a natural +3 to Enchant, then you will get +3 to fire mastery & +6 to Enchant.

If you make memory in a staff with a natural +3 to Enchant, then you will get +3 to fire mastery & +6 to Enchant.

Leaf gives an additional +3 to 3 other skills that are basically useless for Pre-Buff.

Memory gives an additional +3 to Energy shield, which is usefull for pre-buff.

All in all I'd say that you're much better off with Memory than Leaf. Meaning if you had 2 stave's a 2 socket and a 4 socket, which each had +3 to enchant you'd be better off makeing and using the memory than the leaf.

Any thoughts?

Diabolic Apom

Diabloii.Net Member
OK, I'm back.

About attack speed : OK, so I mentionned this attack speed bonus thing with sorceresses using axe, and I wasn't utterly false actually. Here's a table that explains why (I won't bother with code tags this time) : it shows how much IAS you need to reach the last speed breakpoints with a Silver-Edged Axe (base speed 0). Things are similar for all two-handed axe and does not include the possible 30% from Kingslayer.
-Necromancer : 11FPA with 152%
-Assassin, Barbarian : 11FPA with 117%, 10FPA with 194%
-Amazon, Druid, Paladin : 11FPA with 86%, 10FPA with 138%
-Sorceress : 11FPA with 48%, 10 FPA with 75%, 9FPA with 125%
So eventually yes, I stand to my previous point, the Sorceress does have an impressive speed bonus with two-handed axes. Perhaps it is not counted by the game as a "speed bonus", I don't know, but the fact is, she will hit faster with less IAS than any other character class, so I'll call it a speed bonus. (afte checking, this "speed bonus" also applies to polearms and mauls).

Melianor : Liessa gave you the correct answer. This is stated just above my "code" table (perhaps I ought to make it clearer).
About editing, I'll send you corrections once they are done (I'll start once I have answered all questions here).

Pucho : I indeed plan to stay focused on axes, so no trouble here ;)

Liessa : FHR is indeed important, but you will have a hard time with resistances (Kira's Guardian or Veil of Steel are the only solutions that will not make you sacrifice other equipment, aside from Tearhaunch, Metalgrid and rings with + resists that are not always possible).

Squigi : Memory is slightly better overall, with the cast rate and energy shield bonus, but its cost in runes is higher (it isn't much expensive, but Leaf is virtually free). Besides, you can find two-socket staves easily at Drognan, and I think these can have +3 enchant (I'm not sure though, I would need advice from someone who knows that kind of information).

Frisco : okay, let's finish with your questions ;)

Charms, as well as mercenary equipment and possibly PvP information, will be added in a future version of my guide. I just wanted to post this version, which is generally quite complete, so that people here could start commenting on it.

About cold armors, I admittedly didn't pay enough attention to them (I only added them because I thought about them, but never used them actually). Thanks for the correction.

I had indeed completely missed the LM/CM part, and I thank you for pointing it out. While CM probably doesn't need much points in it, maxing LM is indeed a must. Good thing I chose the Heavens path, I won't have to rebuild her :D Since you have four different attacks (with powerful fire, lightning and physical ones, the cold one can be powerful too depending on where you spend your points), immunes are not a problem. Also, + skills are not that important : perhaps +1 or +2 is good, but after this, your gains will be minimal. The problem is, you don't want to sacrifice other gear for it, so only highlord is a definitely good option to add + skills (you will have more advantages from a good Metalgrid than from Mara : def, AR, resists), with BK ring and CoH other possibilities (though the life leech from BK is quite bad and CoH won't give any IAS, which you may need).

I will complete the prebuff section with your suggestions.

Finally, I prefer having my attack skill on left button, so I can use the right button for teleport and static field (both are vital skills). Since your attack speed is really high, the time it takes to switch to static field (thus interrupting your attack) can cost your life. Also, having teleport always ready on right button (only switch to static when you are about to use it) can, and will, save your life.

Liessa Wyrmbane

Diabloii.Net Member
Two-hand axes, two-hand maces and staves are so fast on a sorc because they all fall into "STF" weapon class category.

Here's some animdata information for sorcs:
Code:
1h-swinging: SOA11HS (Frames: 20, ActionFrame: 12, AnimSpeed: 256)
2h-swinging: SOA12HS (Frames: 24, ActionFrame: 14, AnimSpeed: 256)
staff class: SOA1STF (Frames: 18, ActionFrame: 11, AnimSpeed: 256)
As you can see, the staff class base animation only has 18 animation frames which makes is pretty fast compared to other attack animations on sorc.

Diabolic Apom

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the extra information Liessa ;)

I have completed a big part of the corrections : all that is before the "code" table has been updated, plus some of what comes after (including some mercenary equipment information). I have decided to entirely redesigne the Kingslayer section for better readability, but I've had enough for today, so I'll continue tomorrow.

Frisco

Diabloii.Net Member
My mistake on the Beast weapon, I misread your blurb about it.

I disagree about +Skills and Vengeance. I pulled all 8 +skills off my Kingslayer Sorc and the elemental damage damage added by Vengeance was cut in half and that does not reflect the extra -40% CM, the extra 80% AR, or the extra 4.8 secs cold length. I believe that if you can get +skills you should; resists, PDR, IAS, FHR, etc. come first, but +skills are worth it.

I can toggle skills faster than my characters can execute them, often when going Fireball/Meteor (9FPC) against a boss, I'll switch from and back to FB before the Meteor can be cast. I did remap my keys to something far better than default a long time ago, that may have something to do with it.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Frisco said:
My mistake on the Beast weapon, I misread your blurb about it.

I disagree about +Skills and Vengeance. I pulled all 8 +skills off my Kingslayer Sorc and the elemental damage damage added by Vengeance was cut in half and that does not reflect the extra -40% CM, the extra 80% AR, or the extra 4.8 secs cold length. I believe that if you can get +skills you should; resists, PDR, IAS, FHR, etc. come first, but +skills are worth it.
I agree here too. WHen your resists, PDR, IAS, FHR, and others have been covered, ad +skills for Venegance. The added skill increases are worth it. This requires a very expensiv setup though ....

Diabolic Apom

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
I agree here too. WHen your resists, PDR, IAS, FHR, and others have been covered, ad +skills for Venegance. The added skill increases are worth it. This requires a very expensiv setup though ....
This is true, but you usually won't have the possibility to pump skills without sacrificing other thigs. Admittedly, Chains of Honor is the best armor you can find, as well as Andariel's Visage and Highlord's Wrath. However, using Bul Kathos instead of Carrion Wind will seriously cut your life leech, though this is possible if you already have good amounts of it on other gear. And an Annihilus is always good of course :D But using +skills charms with this build is entirely pointless (whether they are pala combat, fire, cold or lightning doesn't change much).

This is especially true as you will get diminishing returns from +skills (+1 makes vengeance damage jump 10%, while going from +7 to +8 won't give more than a 5% damage increase).

Liessa Wyrmbane

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, all.

My hc build will most likely look like this:

20 Enchant
20 Warmth
20 Fire Mastery
20 Telekinesis
10 Lightning Mastery
1 Cold Mastery
1 in prereqs and the usual suspects
0 Energy Shield (I will prebuff Enchant and Energy Shield with a suitable Memory staff)

Gear will be:
- Kingslayer Glorious Axe (if I can only find one) or silver-edged axe
- Delirium tiara (head-butting doll owns Confused bullies with 10+k damage :))
- CoH dusk
- LoH (or IK gloves if I don't find Glorious Axe)
- rare boots with res (or IK boots if I don't find Glorious Axe)
- Verdungo/IK belt
- Highlord
- Raven
- rare mana leech ring
- Cta + Lidless on switch

Delirium is a huge help and I won't go without it even though it means settling for slower attack speed (fervored Andariel was my previous choice). If I can find 4 socket Glorious Axe I will go with 40%IAS (LoH + Highlord), if I can't find one I will go with Silver-Edged Axe and 45%IAS (IK gloves + boots + Highlord).

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Hmm, also finally have come up with a plan here :)
Like Liessa's skill distrubution alot.
Just where will you get the mana to sustain Energy Shield though :scratch:

Item setup:
Kingslayer Silveredged Axe
Kira's Guardian ED/IAS Jewel (why wont somebody tade me 2 socket Crown of Ages :rant:, i got the cash!)
Bloodfist
Highlords Wrath
CoH in Duskshroud
Verdungo's
Rare ring, 5ml/6ll, AR, .....
Ravenfrost
Rare Boots with FRW, FHR,... (got to gamble those though...)
Annihilus

CtA, Lidless on Switch.

Some FHR charms, Skillers, Life/Mana Scs, lightning/cold scs i have

Will Grant me:
45% IAS
65-86% FHR (depending on how many fhr scs i get, without its plain 65%)
Maxed resists
14% lifeleech
1000% STYLEPOINTS :lol: Looks naked except for Axe in hand!

I am not sure how much FHR matters, but everytime i lvl a new sorc i go melee til lvl 24 and the FHR on those usually is crap, so with single monsters there is no problem, but with mobs she gets into the FHR animation TOO often!

Liessa Wyrmbane

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
Just where will you get the mana to sustain Energy Shield though :scratch:
Mostly life+mana charms, points in energy, good ring with both mana leech+mana and CTA will help. Also because we have a good phys damage with our humongous axe, the mana leech helps nicely. I already tried to exact build in Single Player and it kicked butt in Act 5 Hell HC.

ps. Gotta love the naked sorc look with a big axe :)

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Liessa Wyrmbane said:
Mostly life+mana charms, points in energy, good ring with both mana leech+mana and CTA will help. Also because we have a good phys damage with our humongous axe, the mana leech helps nicely. I already tried to exact build in Single Player and it kicked butt in Act 5 Hell HC.

ps. Gotta love the naked sorc look with a big axe :)
Ah well, then i will opt for ES aswell.
Yeah, naked look with Axe :love: !
Will also look beautiful with Kingslayer Crpytic and SS/Sanctuary :love:

Diabolic Apom, thx for bringing back some D2 Fun to an old old old old veteran :worship:

Diabolic Apom

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
Diabolic Apom, thx for bringing back some D2 Fun to an old old old old veteran :worship:
Thanks ;)

Liessa, I think you can't use Vengeance when you are morphed into bone puppet. Isn't Delirium risky ?

FHR is really important, and that is what I am pointing out in my (under revision) equipment advices. Actually, I found a gear which costs relatively little (nothing worth more than one Um, except Kingslayer of course) and gives very good result, I'll twinkle it a bit more and post the single-player character so people can try it out.

Liessa Wyrmbane

Diabloii.Net Member
Diabolic Apom said:
Liessa, I think you can't use Vengeance when you are morphed into bone puppet. Isn't Delirium risky ?
Correct. You can only use normal attack under Delirium. Your huge fire damage from Enchant is still added to your normal "doll" attacks, though. The doll attack animation is very fast too. Risky? Maybe a bit yes. Great fun? You betcha. :thumbsup:

Diabolic Apom

Diabloii.Net Member
Liessa Wyrmbane said:
Correct. You can only use normal attack under Delirium. Your huge fire damage from Enchant is still added to your normal "doll" attacks, though. The doll attack animation is very fast too. Risky? Maybe a bit yes. Great fun? You betcha. :thumbsup:
Hehe... Good luck with that ;)

OK, I am quite satisified with the SP character. You can find her here. Though all her gear is utterly perfect (annihilus and jewel in diadem aside), you could sacrifice some % defenses, % damages and % leeches to make it quite unexpensive but still very efficient. She has very good resistances, 80% FHR, great life leech and good damage without even using charms. I didn't know what pre-buff weapon to give her, so I didn't give her any, just try without and imagine it would be better with :D

squigipapa

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, so I'm now @ level 51 with my 'Executress'. I'm planning on having her finished by level 85. I wanted to build her a little different than a 'pure 2 handed axe' sorc would be, just so I can switch things around and go with a max block shield & an Azurewrath if I felt so inclined to do so. As well, I diden't want her to be pure PvM, I want to be able to play around with her in pubbies as well. So this is my plan for her.

Skills:
---------
Fire Spells:
-----------------
Warmth - 20
Fire Bolt - 1
Fire Ball - 1
Enchant - 20
Fire Mastery - 20

Total Skills for Fire Tree: 62

Lightening Spells:
---------------------------
Telekinesis - 20
Teleport - 1
Static Field - 1
Lightening Mastery - 10

Total Skills for Lightening Tree: **32

Cold Spells:
------------------
Frozen Armor - 1
Cold Mastery - 1

Total Skills for Cold Tree: 2

Finished @ level 85 with All quests completed.

** The reason for my lightening skill layout is because I have a memory staff with a natural +3 to Enchant, I will use this on pre-buff to cast Energy Shield, Enchant & Frozen Armor. I decided to put a point into frozen armor simply because, well, it can't hurt. I diden't have enough points to get Shiver Armor, and I figured rather than not having any defense bonus from any cold armor it coulden't hurt to use one point on Frozen. With +skills I should be able to cast it with a minimum of Slevel 8, which would last for just over 200 seconds and give a +65% defense bonus.

Stats:
----------
Str: 125 for eBOTD Champion Axe (Which will add another 30, along with annihlius will ensure that I can basically wear anything I want)

Dex: Enough for max block with Withen's Guard.

Vit: I'd like it to be around 125 or so after all +vit is taken into account (Anni[20]+botd[30]+Dungo's[39]) so pretty close to base.. maybe a couple of points invested.

Nrg: Everything else.

Equiptment:
-------------------
Helm: Andy's Visage Socketed with a +15%IAS/+28% Fire Resistance Jewel (that took me some time to find!)

Amulet: Cat's Eye, (IAS, Run/Walk and saves me 25 dex to put in NRG)

Weapon: +374% Ethereal BOTD Champion Axe. I went with max block because I want the option of using an azurewrath + whithens at times, and I want the option of using a shield with max block if I decide to play around in PvP games.

Armor: CoH Diamond Mail.

Ring #1: Raven, (20dex/248AR)

Ring #2: Rare dual leech with +Mana. (will swap soj if I feel the need for more mana.)

Belt: Dungo's (39/14)

Gloves: LoH (most of the time may swap in frosties if I feel the need for more mana.)

Boots: Not quite sure, Sandstorm? Gores? Godly rares would be ideal.. but I haven't found any yet. :(

Charms: The usual suspects .. vita's /mana's, Skills, FHR.

I've created this character in single player, @ level 85. I played through most of hell act 5 last night on /players4. So far she's doing very well. Immunes don't seem to be much of a problem, most normal monsters fall in a couple of hits.. (even the immune ones), though most were demons and with the +dmg to demons on LoH & CoH that's understandable.. Heavy elemental attacks, like the ones from the skelly archers in act 5 hurt quite a bit, but I haven't actually died to them, I've always been able to teleport to safety and regroup. I grabbed a Holy Freeze merc as well, which helps my lousy reaction time quite a bit .. :)

So, tonight it's off to more leveling of my battle.net version .. :)