The Every. Single. Skill. Tournament.

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
The Every. Single. Skill. Tournament.

All these mostly already-started tournies, my recent downloadization of ATMA, and my general neurosis have inspired me to try my hand at running a tourny of my very own. The rules is as follows, son:

Characters
  • Characters must be HC
  • All classes are allowed

Skill Allocation
  • You must have at least one point in every single skill.
  • You may not place more than one skill point into a skill until all skills have at least one point (points added from items and charges are fine).
  • You may not place more than 8 points into any one skill.
  • Your highest leveled skill may never be more than 2 points above the next highest (for example, if you place 2 points into say Raise Skeleton with your level 30 and 31 skills, you would have to place a point elsewhere before placing another point in Raise Skele, and so on and so forth).

Play Restrictions
  • You may pick any /players setting, with one caveat: You must stick with one setting through each difficulty. In your sign-up thread, announce the setting you want for Normal, then when you update having completed Normal, pick your difficulty for NM, etc.
  • You must complete all quests. You are not required to find all WPs, but they will score you points. Up to you. Retrieving the Malus, killing Shenk, and killing Nihilithak are sufficient for those quests (you're not required to reap the benefits).
  • You can use anything you find, gamble, or buy, including runes and runewords.
  • You may hire Mercenaries, but they may only use Normal, Ethereal, Socketed, or Magic Items (White, Gray, or Blue). They may not, however, use Rune Words (gems and jewels and runes not in word order may be socketed into their equipment).
  • No MP or trading.
  • You may mule off but never back on.

Scoring
  • 1 point for each quest completed
  • 1 point for each WP collected in each difficulty.
  • 5 points for completing Norm, 10 for NM, and 20 for Hell.
  • 1 point for each skill with more than one hard skill point spent [Note: I just though of this rule and am totally flexible on it. It just seemed like an interesting way of rewarding players for spreading points, the trade-off being power, obviously. I didn't want to require it because it feels like most campaigns would stall out at the same point, but as I said, I'm wide open to suggestion).
  • 3 points to the character at the highest level at the end of the tourny.

Winning
  • Uh, you win if you have the most points. In the event of a point-total tie, the player with the most EXP wins. In the event of a tie there, out comes the coin (slash the player who beat Hell first).

Glittery Prizes
  • Players should send prize stashes at the end of their reigns. This should be upon completion of Hell, or upon announced retirement. If you're comfortable looting a dead HC character, go for it. Prize stashes are purely voluntary, but you should accounce whether or not you're participating in your sign-up. Your prize stashes can include (but aren't limited to) good Uniques of all shapes and sizes, mid-high set items, socketables, runes, jewels, charms, and PGems (don't fill the whole stash up with those. That'd be just rude, kids).
  • First place finisher gets to pick three items, then the second place player gets to pick two items, then the third place finisher gets to pick one item, and the fourth place finisher gets to pick one item and so on and so forth. Only players who have completed Hell or have announced retirement who have submitted prize stashes will get to pick things. If there are enough items, we'll loop the prize backing back up the chain so that everyone gets mo' items.

So uh, hopefully I haven't forgotten nothing. Or anything. I'm not precisely sure how e-mailing prize stashes or distributing prizes will work, but I'm sure you vets'll fill me right in. If/when you sign up, do it like so:

HeadlineGirl - Lvl 1 Sorc
Vanilla (Mods go here)
Norm: /players 3

And update often, folks. Keep it alive and interesting.

Quesitons, comments, and concerns are both welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jude

Diabloii.Net Member
When does it end, when everyone's dead? If so, how will you tell? Just curious--not playing because I don't play Hardcore.
Jude

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah yes. A time limit would be good. I'm thinking, say, 6 months give or take? Or of course until interest tapers off.

Oh, and re-running areas is permissible. For those of you wondering about that.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
I feel the urge to try a tourney again (I got bored with my char the last one I tried, so I never really competed beyond the first couple of days). Sign me up for a 'zerker/thrower/frenzy hybrid barb on /players5 during normal (I'm not sure about the character name; I have to think of something appropriately cheezy / vulgar / horrible / clever / lazy).

Some points and/or questions that I can come up with:

1. Can mercs use uniques/sets? Clarify please.

2. When are we allowed to start? I expect to play about 3 days total during the whole month of December, so I wouldn't mind a jump start ASAP (and I'm semi-bored with most of my current SC projects, so a change of pace would be nice). 6 months seems reasonable for duration, but you may want to establish a concrete closure date (i.e. April 30, 2006 is my suggestion).

3. Obviously everyone should also specify beforehand their version/mods (I play 1.10 vanilla, BTW). You'll probably want to separate the prize stashes from different versions and mods, just because several players will only be interested in their version. The only other course of action is to limit the mods/versions allowed, but that could limit the participants.

For example, I'm willing to participate in the prizes, but only if I'm receiving items from 1.10 vanilla or RRM - IMHO, RWM has a potentially unfair advantage and I'm not interested in acquiring items that will taint my gear (beyond RRM). Since I don't intend to upgrade any day soon, 1.11 items also are useless to me. I'm in a fairly restrictive sub-category, so I'd be willing to partipate purely for the fun factor and to heck with the prizes - maybe a little research is necessary before a concrete rule is defined.

4. Are we required to make regular posts about our progress? Obviously we each need to specify our players settings before each difficulty, but are there any other restrictions?

Llathias

Banned
I cannot participate in the tourney, since I have time constrictions, other D2 projects and I don't play hardcore. However, I should address some points:

1. As said, a limitation of mods would be nice. RRM, RWM, FE mod (for 1.10) are usually accepted--though the last gives an advantage over vanilla 1.10 players. The acceptance of the RWM is usually accompanied by not allowing the realm runewords.

2. As a forum policy, runes and runewords cannot be traded/given away. That means you should take that out of the sentence regarding the prize stash.

Good luck to all the participants!

SeDnA

Diabloii.Net Member
I will join in I guess. In my opinion 1/2 a year is too long. Three months maybe?

Character Class: Assassin
Mods: 1.11 RWM
Normal Difficulty: Players 1 :lol:

Haven't decided on the name yet.

AbbyNormal

Diabloii.Net Member
This might not be a good choice for my first tournament, but what the heck.

Character class: Assassin
Version: 1.11
Normal difficulty: Players 4 (I'm feeling bold... I've a similar character tearing it up in players 8)
Name: Renata

newbish questions soon to follow, I'm sure.

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
Answers, in order:

1. No, mercs cannot use Uniques or Sets. Why, you ask? Because I said so. And because I want characters to be less dependent on their mercs than on their skills/versatility.
2. You may start as soon as you sign up.
3. I forgot about versions. This tourny is intended only for users of 1.10 and 1.11. Please announce at the start which version you're running along with whether or not you'll participate in prizes.. As for mods, I'm going to go ahead and say that those using RWM cannot use the ladder runewords. I'd like to ban the RWM altogether, but we've already got on signed on, so I'll just limit it.
4. I'd like it if you made posts about your progress - it's fun to read about how others are doing in the tourny. You should at least update at the end of act difficulty.
5. Oops, missed the rune deal. Don't include runes in your prize stash. So there.
6. I'm going to go ahead and compromise on the end date. The tournament will end on February 14, 2006. That's roughly three and a half months, and it's obviously amusing to end it there.

Oh, and I'm on 1.11, by the by. Sign-up format should ACTUALLY look like AbbyNormal's, except:

Class: Sorc
Version/Mods: 1.11 Vanilla
Norm Diff: /players 3
Name: HeadlineGirl

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds like fun, I'll be doing an avenger probably, never made one of them before, and it doesnt seem like he would do too bad here. Gonna go for it on p8, hopefully I get past diablo.

Class: Pally
Version: 1.11b no mods
Norm diff: p8
Name: Krispy_Kreme

I went ahead and made a table, so just add yourselves to it.

Code:
Forum Name      Character Name   Class       Version     Players Setting  Points
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lostprophet     HeadlineGirl     Sorc     1.11 Vanilla     p3              0
AbbyNormal      Renata           'Sin     1.11             p4              0
SeDnA           ???              'Sin     1.11 RWM         p1              0
skoolbus        Krispy_Kreme     Pally    1.11b Vanilla    p8              0

O_Menda

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I join with a barb. Let's see how far I can get in players2 (blasted by Diablo on normal is my bet). I know I will have some doubts about the rules but I don't remember any right now so... let the play begin!

Class: Barb
Version: 1.11 no mods
Norm diff: p2
Name: Barb_Dickinson

Yeah, silly name... :uhhuh:

Code:
Forum Name      Character Name   Class       Version     Players Setting  Points
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SeDnA           ???              'Sin     1.11 RWM         p1              0
O_Menda         Barb_Dickinson   Barb     1.11 Vanilla     p2              0

Llathias

Banned
lol, Lostprophet, you didn't tell if you'll contribute to the prize stash or not!

also, though I don't have a say here, as an outsider comment, ending it on Feb 13th might be a better idea so that people will be done with the tourney and can spend the next day for someone else...

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Made it to the outer cloister. I will participate in the prizes I suppose. I have a question though, if I'm level 17, and have placed a skill point in everything I can, and I have one left over, can I put a second in a skill? or do I have to wait till level 30 to put multiple skill points in skills?

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
Prize stash! Yes! Yes yes yes!

(Um..... I don't totally suck at... darn :( ).

HeadlineGirl is level 11 and has completed the Cain quest and procured the Dark Wood WP. I'm leaning heavily on Frost Nova and Ice Blast, with Static Field being used against particularly tough guys.

@ skoolbus: You can't assign more than one skill point to any skill until all skills on all trees have at least one hard point. So level 30 is correct, assuming you have enough saved points to put one point in all level 30 skills and then place additional ones elsewhere. So yes, you'll have some extra points floating around annoyingly. It's part of the, uh, challenge :uhhuh:.

SeDnA

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
SeDnA           Mortred          'Sin     1.11 RWM         p1              0
I will not be participating in the prizes.

Oh and I don't think a untwinked RWM char who doesn't use any ladder RWs will taint anything.

OpethAZ

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
SeDnA           Mortred          'Sin     1.11 RWM         p1              0
OpethAZ         Testament        Pally    1.11 RWM         p3              0
Well, just can't pass this one up... actually had tried this once before on my own, but wasn't motivated... see how this goes. No stash participation for me as I use the RWM although I'll save stuff and enough is there I can donate.

SeDnA

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
SeDnA           Mortred          'Sin     1.11 RWM         p1              3
One question. Do towns count as one waypoint?

Mortred cleared Bloodmoor, the Den of Evil, Cold Plains, and The Cave in Cold Plains. She is currently level 6, and hates cold attacks.

A weird screenshot

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Llathias said:
also, though I don't have a say here, as an outsider comment, ending it on Feb 13th might be a better idea so that people will be done with the tourney and can spend the next day for someone else...
If you buy into that Hallmark holiday, you deserve to loose a day. :p
Added myself to the table.

Code:
Sirpoopsalot    Chuck            Barb     1.10 Vanilla     p5              0

AbbyNormal

Diabloii.Net Member
Got in about 90 minutes last night. Were I feeling more creative, you'd get the narrative of Renata, short attention span Assassin, but, feh. I'll be saving a prize stash, assuming I ever find anything. (grumble)

Checking my math: I've completed two quests and opened two waypoints, so I've got four points, yes?

Code:
AbbyNormal      Renata           'Sin     1.11 Vanilla     p4              4

O_Menda

Diabloii.Net Member
I had some fun after finishing the first two quests by clearing the cave in Cold Plains. Currently, the barb is level 11 with double-wielding two daggers (one of the few things that the barb can't "master, but good anyway). It's hilarious the speed he gets with Double Swing, looks like a banderillero during a bullfight :lol:

We also need to know if the town wp are used for calculing the score.

Code:
AbbyNormal      Renata           'Sin     1.11 Vanilla     p4              4
O_Menda         Barb_Dickinson   Barb     1.11 Vanilla     p2              3