Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Envenomed Trapper Guide 1.0, by C_Narcissus

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by C_Narcissus, Mar 18, 2004.

1. C_Narcissus

C_Narcissus IncGamers Member

The Envenomed Trapper Guide 1.0, by C_Narcissus

* C_Narcissus’s Guide to the Envenomed Trapper *
    (pronounced Nar’ sis us…or you can call me Narc)

This is my first guide written, so stick with me if I get messy. This assassin is my favorite of all that I've created, and she's highly effective for PvP or, if you get bored of that scene because it gets kinda easy, she does cows real well too. :) Anyway, the guide shows stats, skills, gear, leveling, pvp junk, and so on. The gear is expensive and not everyone can do that, so for each piece I'll mention a "for poorer" piece that is easier to obtain and thus complete your venom-trapper.

I. The Gear
    II. The Skills
    III. The Stats
    IV. The Leveling
    V. The Killing

I. The Gear (the descriptions are in case you want to find a similar alternative)

A. Helm (Griffons = useless)
    1. For Richer - Crown of Ages - this will probably be your best resist-all piece altogether... Use the sockets for life, preferably, or do like I'm doing and wait until you actually run into a problem and THEN use the sockets to account for it.
    2. For Poorer - Shako - they go for less than Mal now, so I figure thats pretty easy. You've got +2 skills, DR, tons of life and mana, and hell, if you do cows like I said you've got MF there as a bonus. Regarding socket, see I.A.1.

B. Armor
    1. For Richer – Enigma – hands down one of the best armors available for your trapper. You’ll be using teleport a lot, as well as the huge strength addition, the armor rating itself, the DR, and of course…the +2 skills.
    2. For Poorer – Your choice here, either +2 Valor OR Hel’d Guardian Angel. I suggest Hel or a good -15% jewel because it allows you to stick with a lot of life and not a lot of strength that you’ll end up wasting.

C. Belt
    1. For Richer – Arachnids Mesh – 20% faster cast rate, +1 to all skills, it’s the only belt that will compliment both your traps and your mind blasting / teleporting.
    2. For Poorer – Thundergods Vigor – good strength and vitality bonus, plus it’ll absorb some damage from those other annoying, less effective trapper builds. ?

D. Weapon 1 (weapon 2 comes last – it’s the kicker)
    1. For Richer – Heart of the Oak (HOTO) – 40% faster cast rate, +3 skills, giant resist all bonus (mine is 40, yay), and it comes with a pet or two. This is hands down one of the best weapons for you – make SURE to put it in something where you’ll get a fast attack speed (for your trap-laying speed is determined by such).
    2. For Poorer – Wizardspike / +3 Trap Claw / Bartucs – if you feel you need more res/fcr, use the spike, but in order of preference I’d go with Bartucs (for the speed, +2 skills, strength, dex) then a +3 Trap Claw (for obvious reasons, plus they’re CHEAP – NPCs sell them, just be patient), then the Wiz (no skill bonus here, but good res all and fcr).

E. Shield
    1. For Richer – Stormshield – doesn’t get much better than this, does it? This accounts for your DR, which is VERY important, and it also has some resists on it (suggest either a -15% jewel, or an Um/PDiamond in the socket).
    2. For Poorer – Lidless Wall – gives you another trap skill, gives a tad mana, and helps your cast rate once again. Ideally, though, DR is highly preferred in this area. In my opinion a cheap Spikethorn > Lidless Wall.

F. Boots
    1. For Richer – Waterwalks/Shadow Dancers/IK Boots/Rare resist boots – Any of these will work, as boots are crucial to the build. Something with life, resists, and faster run/walk is best, and that’s why I use Waterwalks. Dancers are nice for buffing your shadow tree, IK boots have some resists on them, and so on… Just make sure you run fast…
    2. For Poorer – Infernostrides/Sanders Boots – Really anything here will work, but infernos are nice for fire resist and have decent other mods, and Sanders comes with a strength and dex boost on them.

E. Rings
    1. For Richer – SOJ/ Bul Kathos – This should be obvious, you want +2 skills here, and the SOJ gives you mana while the BK gives you life. Pretty simple. I prefer this over SOJ/SOJ because 40-50 life goes further with Enigma and Battle Orders…
    2. For Poorer – Absorb rings / resist all rings – Absorb rings such as ravens, dwarfs, wisps all work well because most of the time the only people dealing damage to you will be elementalists at a distance. Resists all rings – same reason.

F. Amulet
    1. For Richer – Maras / Crafted +2 Asn resist all Caster amulet – Still trying to get my hands on that crafted one, anyway, but Maras does very well in all areas. You shouldn’t settle for less than a +2 amulet here.
    2. For Poorer – any +2 assassin amulet / +3 traps amulet – These are both easy to obtain, most can be traded for in pgem deals, most can be gambled. This is a huge area for skill bonuses, though, so don’t neglect it.

G. Gloves
    1. For Richer – Trangs Gloves – 25% poison dmg on your venom, 20% FCR, 30% cold res…if you find better gloves let me know.
    2. For Poorer – Magefists – good faster cast rate, anyway…

H. Weapon 2
    1. For Richer – Widowmaker – this is the fun part of this build… Your switch weapon gives you guided arrow with which you will deliver your venom skill to the unsuspecting enemy. Suggest Shaeling this, especially if you prefer Fade over BoS. (Don’t forget – this thing uses arrows). If you get tired of owning with the Widowmaker, throw Call to Arms and a +1 skill shield here just to buff your trapper.
    2. For Poorer – 1 point into blade fury, because there is no real replacement here. You can still deliver venom on blade fury, and this requires no weapon switching, but you WILL have to learn to aim as the fire sorcs do. I have yet to figure that out but keep the minimap up…

II. The Skills

Shock Web – 20
    Charged Bolt Sentry – 20
    Lightning Sentry – 20
    Death Sentry – 20
    Venom – 20
    Prereqs – 1 each into: Fire Blast, Claw Mastery, Burst of Speed, Fade, Psychic Hammer, Cloak of Shadows
    NOTE: Blade Fury uses who cannot obtain a Widowmaker will need 3 extra skill points for Blade Fury itself and the prerequisites Wake of Fire and Blade Sentinel.

Totaling out at… 106 points used w/o Blade Fury = finished at level 94 (a tad high, but you’ll be dueling WELL before this…see below)

Lightning sentry is your main killer – keep that hotkey close at all times. You will also use either Burst of Speed or Fade ALL of the time depending on the situation, so don’t neglect your +skills items or else these will suffer. The high skill point requirement is beatable – you simply have to choose which to max last. I maxed venom last because it kills the least often for me and I have plenty of +skill items, so my venom, at Clvl 90, is 26, and does over 700 dmg in 0.4 seconds. If, however, you think that near 10k trap damage is overkill, feel free to save Charged Bolt Sentry or Shock Web for last.

III. The Stats

Ideally, you want to place EVERY EXTRA POINT into vitality. Here’s how:

Strength: just enough to wear gear
    Dexterity: just enough to wear gear
    Vitality: everything
    Energy: nothing

Here’s a simple way to see how much strength you’ll need: find your highest strength requirement item, for example in my case, Stormshield – 156. I didn’t Hel mine, but if you did don’t forget to lessen your strength requirement in your head when preparing. So I know that 156 is the highest my strength will EVER have to be. Now take your other gear and add up all strength additions (in my case…): Shako (+2), Maras (+5), Charms (+4), Enigma (+ 2/3 of my Clvl). So we’ve got 11+ 2*Clvl / 3 = strength bonus. You want 156 at level 73 (earliest someone with SS can equip it and duel), so you know your bonus will be 59 strength. Thus, you need to have 156 – 59 strength if you want to duel at 73, which is 97 strength. Typically your numbers will be lower if you “Hel†it, or have better charms than mine (I was in a hurry, damnit!).

Your dexterity can be based on blocking, which…there’s a formula around here somewhere but it slips my mind at the moment. In any case, usually your items will give you a decent amount of dex anyway, and the 75% block isn’t too crucial as long as you’ve got enigma because you shouldn’t be getting hit anyway. BUT, if it is, you’ll have to either put points into dex or look for good dex charms (which is preferable, because life charms are more expensive).

Vitality – Everything – pretty self explanatory…the more life you have the less likely you are to die.

Energy – Nothing – your SOJ / Hoto / Lidless wall / levels in and of themselves / Silkweaves – they should all be plenty more than you need in terms of mana. Again, if you lack the gear to boost your mana, you may have to bite the bullet and throw a few (not more than 20) points into this, although it’s not highly recommended.

IV: The Leveling

This is only hard up until you hit level 25. The key points are outlined below:

A. Levels 1-10
    1. Obtain burst of speed
    2. Complete act 1
    3. Begin maxing charged bolt sentry first

B. Levels 11-15
    1. Level in act 2 using charged bolt sentry (one quarter screens distance is best for this)
    2. Continue maxing CBS

C. Levels 16-20
    1. Level in act 3 using CBS still – it works well in populated areas
    2. Get help for Council Members / Meph – you won’t have enough mana
    3. Obtain but do not use Lightning Sentry

D. Levels 21-25
    1. Begin maxing LS
    2. Level in act 4 plains (Izzy quest points will help your dmg here)
    3. Complete Ancients

E. Levels 25 – 50 do normal Baal runs, finish maxing LS
    F. Levels 51 – 70
    1. Nightmare difficulty setting (at this point killing shouldn’t be a problem for you)
    2. Nightmare Baal runs
    3. Finish maxing LS and 2 synergies

G. Levels 71+
    1. Hell difficulty setting (if you’ve got enigma – rush yourself)
    2. Hell Baal runs (rinse and repeat)
    3. Max either LS’s third synergy or Venom, but split points up between both!!

V. The Dueling – the best part…

Your game is simple – remain far away from the enemy and force him to make the moves. I will separate duelers into “types†for our trappers sake, and deal with each accordingly.

I. The Jumper – this type will include Hammerdins, Wind Druids, Kicksins, Cold Sorcs, Bone Necros, people with enigma, and thus yourself in some cases. They typically never show up until they are directly on top of you, and they use decapitating strikes to finish you quickly.

II. The Nuker – this type will include Fire Sorcs, FOHadins, Lightning Sorcs, Bowazons, Javazons, Thrower Barbs, and some smarter Bone Necros. They will remain far from you and toss whatever they have, usually “aimingâ€, in attempts to hit you without taking damage themselves. When they get close, they’re usually much more dangerous, but its most common for them to keep their distance.

III. The Close Quarter Combatant – this type will include most Barbs, all melee Paladins, some Kickers, all MAists, summoning Necros, Shapeshifting Druids, Jabazons, and anyone stupid enough to have to be standing next to you to deliver damage yet remain without the ability to close distance effectively. Your only real challenge here should be Chargeadins.

How do I deal?? Well it’s simple. First buff yourself – using your highest +skill setup, cast Venom first then one of either BoS or Fade. If your enemy is elemental and you need the resists, go with Fade, or if your enemy is physical only, go with BoS. BoS will typically help you more than Fade because it increases trap-laying speed as well, and your goal is not to let the enemy deliver his elemental damage anyway…

Once you’re buffed, you’ll have to assess which type your enemy falls under. We will deal with each separately.

I. The Jumpers – Fade will work best here because they usually come to you. Be sure to set your traps PRIOR TO THIS, preferably in a star pattern at the screen edges so there is always one closest the enemy no matter where he is. If they don’t come to you, so much the better - break out that Widowmaker / Blade Fury and shoot away – force them to come to you. When they “land†from their jump they should be right on top of you. Be quick about it – if you see them coming, take one last shot then switch to your shield and prepare mind blast. If you’re really fast, you can teleport a few yards away as they teleport into your previous spot, and then switch back to mind blast to secure the kill. It’ll take a while to get your aim down and to be able to catch them with MB that fast but it works well. If they try to tele back out of your range, and you know your traps hurt them bad, KEEP YOUR RIGHT CLICK HELD DOWN. You will keep them locked under your mouse button, simply change your skill to teleport once, then back to LS for a shot or two, then back to MB, all while holding them. If you’re coordinated enough, you’ll take down anyone without high lightning absorb.

II. The Nuker – Burst of Speed works best here – use it to both dodge incoming attacks, run from side to side, and shoot the hell out of that widowmaker. Lay traps FIRST…don’t forget. This is where your widowmaker comes in handy. They won’t expect guided arrow from an assassin, nor will they expect it to do near 1000 damage in a single shot (from venom, but after PK penalties its like around 400 but still very decent). In most cases they will try to finish you quickly now, knowing that if they don’t they can face a quick poisoned death by your arrows and never see your face. Most will tele or run in fast and forget that you are, in fact, a trapper surrounded by LS. Don’t forget to switch BACK to the shield when they arrive close, as you risk taking significant damage holding that bow with 0 resists, 0 FHR, 0 block… When you switch, typically, use MB when they arrive. Sometimes these duels take a while, in which case I scrap trapping altogether (given that venom is damaging them) and use the widowmaker’s guided arrow as my left click and teleport as my right click. If I can manage to lock them at all with guided…well…game over. If you lock them with teleport instead, simply switch back to mind blast when you arrive and shoot them at the same time – its funny to watch, trust me. This tele / guided / MB drill is also how I deal with most lightning absorbers.

III. The CQC – Burst of speed is probably your best bet unless you’re worried about a tesladin, or a barb that does all lightning damage, or something weird like that. Anyway, these guys will frequently run up to you and either WW or charge or kick – whatever their flavor seems to be. With WW you can simply sidestep and MB away. With decapitators such as Bears and BotD Zealots, you’ll typically want to tele AWAY from them, lay traps, then entice them to come to you with that fancy bow you got there. They WILL come to you, trust me, because the only other option is run to town and be ridiculed for it. Most of these people you can take your time with, because they close ground slowly. The exception is the DFzin, or the Chargeadin. In these cases, teleport out of their range first, then lay traps and fire off your widowmaker. These types should cause trouble least of all, at any rate.

Errata note: if you’re using the “for poorer†gear and are annoyed when I say “shoot GA†and “tele away†just pretend I’m saying “throw blades†and “run very fast with BoSâ€.

Final note: This concludes my guide – I hope its useful and fun. I’d like to point out at the very end, of course, that this build can be very annoying to most pub duelers, so be careful not to NK (naked kill) or insult people as trappers already have an incredibly bad name. Use common sense and be humble. And when you’re done killing, go back to town to erase your traps. Good luck!

*C_Narcissus

P.S. it looked a lot longer in Word at 5 am...

2. C-Beat

C-Beat IncGamers Member

*Since Blade shield is ar independent your venom wont trigger very often...not often at all acctually.

*What about block? :rolleyes: without block you get killed quite easily if any character catches you.

*I dont quite see how you can consider shako or a +2valor as cheap items for the poor. Escpecially if you're on ladder.

looks ok other than that :)

C-Beat

3. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Narc: IMO, this is a good build, but not yet a guide, as there simply isn't enough emphasis on Strategies. I have no problems with your classification, but since you only have 3 categories, each of them need a LOT of elaboration, since this is a PvP guide.

Also, some Merc suggestions when levelling this build?

4. C_Narcissus

Regarding Blade Shield - waste of a point, if you can't afford widowmaker use Blade FURY to deliver venom, not blade shield.

Regarding block - the object is not to let people get close. I've got a 63% block but I waste points in dexterity. With 1700 life I can still stand in most WW's once or twice as long as I'm not running (block penalty) and then sidestep to begin the MB / Trap drill if I haven't already.

Regarding Shako/Valor - cheaper than enigma/CoA! :) As I said I listed the descriptions so that people can pick out items close to them. An upped Vigermagi will work well because of the FCR, +1 skills, and resist all. Likewise, any helm with skill additions will work, as this is a highly skill-dependent killer.

Regarding Mercs - never used one on her yet...my assassin is only about a week old and I haven't spent time leveling a merc yet but I still find it easy to kill about 95% of the people out there. When I get around to it, I'll hire a NM act 2 freeze merc and level him in hell cows - that'll just be MEAN. He'll probably inherit my sorcs mercs 'junk' - SS, Vampgaze, Tomb Reaver. Any setup with max resists and some DR will work for your merc, though.

Regarding Strategies - eh, I think everyone pretty much falls into one of these classes. I'll repost the guide with all this info included sometime soon but I'm kinda tired right now and can't figure out what to add for the strategies part.

EDIT: Heh, no one else saw, but I also forgot about charms. I use 8 Trap Charms, and the rest are life/resist charms with the exception of the annihilus. Your goal is to hit around 9 or 10k trap damage once you're all done, so tune your charms to such a goal and then use your leftover space for life/resists as I have done, or dexterity if you prefer a higher block.

Also, I transferred over my CTA from my sorc because I'm sometimes too lazy to use the bow and I just chase people down with traps and tank their damage. With CTA I have over 2600 life and 800 mana. :)

5. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Also, remove the part where you mention that IK Boots have resists... cuz, um.. they don't.

6. C_Narcissus

DOH! Meant Nats Boots. 5 am...

7. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Consider adding in Strategies for Team Duels and non-Enigma duels, if you're having trouble lengthening the Tactics section.

8. C_Narcissus

Will do - I'll completely repost the guide and just let this one die. It needs a tad proofreading and I think I could come up with more equipment alternatives as well.

9. bres

bres IncGamers Member

In order to use widowmaker you need 146 dex isn't that a waste ?
    I can invest more in vita , should I socket the widow with -15 req jewel ?

10. DeathsHand

DeathsHand IncGamers Member

i think if you're already using stormshield and u need 146 dex for widowmaker u mightaswell just max block.

to original poster:

i personally consider wizspike as equal to hoto, hoto might give + skills but wizspike simply has more fcr, more resists and gives alot of mana which helps for longer duels.

btw u could also include situation-switching gear such as 4* P.Topaz monarch for foh palas and 4* P.Sapphire monarch for blizzard/orb sorcs.

also u dont have "cannot be frozen" anywhere, im aware its not essential for trappers but it definatly helps for non-enigma users....might i suggest soem setups:

wizpike + trangs - 70% fast cast, now u can change arach for trangs belt (life/mana/CnBF)
    or hoto + trangs + 2% or higher +skills amu + trangs.

another usefull thing to put in ur guide would be trap laying speeds, FHR breakpoints and faster casting breakpoints.

11. bres

bres IncGamers Member

How much dex do I need for max block ?

12. DeathsHand

DeathsHand IncGamers Member

about 200 depending on ur lvl, thats an extra 54 dex then needed but only equals 162 more life but the difference between say 50% block and 75% more then makes up for the loss of 162 life in my opinion.

13. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Blocking Formula

Actual Blocking = itemblock(Dex-15) / levelX2

So max blocking is 75% and we'll say level 80

75 = itemblock(dex - 15) / 160, which reduces to

75*160 = itemblock(dex-15). We'll say it's stormshield, and you have no other +blocking equipment like a safety amulet or twitchthroe

75*160 = 72(dex-15)

12,000 / 72 = dex-15

166.667 = dex -15
    181.667 = dex

There's your answer.

14. bres

bres IncGamers Member

thanks alot for the answer !