Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The enchantress plan...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Mr Evil, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

The enchantress plan...

I've been thinking about making an enchantress for a long time, but it's only recently that I think I can muster the wealth necessary to create what seems to be a very item-dependant build. So far I have come up with the following character plan, assuming lvl 85 as a target initially:

Skills:
    20 Enchant
    20 Warmth
    20 Fire Mastery
    (these three go without saying of course)

14 Telekinesis
    1 Energy Shield
    1 Static Field
    1 Teleport

10 Shiver Armor
    1 Cold Mastery (to enhance the cold damage done by my weapon)

The cold/lightning skills are up for debate. I'm not sure if it might not be better to max Telekinesis and put some more in Energy Shield, forgetting about Shiver Armour as my defence won't be very high in the first place, giving little for Shiver Armor to boost. On the other hand, even with max warmth and no use for mana whilst in melee, mana burn monsters will take down the shield, so I might need something for defense then.

Stats:
    Str ~90 (depending on exact equipment, needs to be enough to equip a Stormshield)
    Dex ~160 (again, depending on exact equipment, needs to be enough for 75% block)
    Vit ~230 (everything I can spare goes here)
    Energy 35 (base)

Equipment:
    Azurewrath (because I have one already, and the large magic/cold damage will take out fire immunes, and the aura is a real help for taking on undead)
    Stormshield (is there any reason to even consider anything else?)
    Kira's Guardian (need it for the resists and 'cannot be frozen', plus I like the bare-headed look)
    'Stone' wire fleece (some resists and decent defense, plus a very important 60% fhr)
    String of Ears (for life leech and to bring damage reduction up to ~50%)
    Dracul's Grasp (more life leech and lifetap to help on unleechables)
    Gore Rider (crushing blow of course)
    Rare rings with mana/life leech, ar and prismatic
    rare +2 skills, leech, prismatic amulet

Note:
    If I socket Azurewrath with a Shael it will reach the last breakpoint for a speed of 10fpa. I'm going with it over a 'passion' weapon because of the aura and extra cold/magic damage and I don't really like being stuck in place whilst zealing, although with the level requirement on Azurewrath I will probably be using one up until then.

With the 60% fhr from the 'stone' runeword, I only need an extra 26% to reach a 7-frame recovery, which should be easy to obtain from charms and mayeb a Shael in the helm.

I should get close to max resistances in hell with the equipment listed. I can socket an Um in the helm to boost it if I can't make up the rest with charms. Otherwise I could socket Shael (hit recovery) or a PSkull (life/mana regen) or Eth (mana regen) or Ith (dmg to mana).

The shield should probably have a Hel in it, to keep strength requirements down, otherwise maybe an Um or a nice jewel.

For a merc, probably holy freeze to keep crowds under control.

Damage will be high at a decent attack speed and immunes shouldn't be a problem, but ar will be low. With no need to use mana and max warmth, energy shield should hold up well, which is just as well considering that life will be very low for a melee character (significantly less than 1k). This will probably require quite defensive play.

Any thoughts?

2. pedro11

pedro11 IncGamers Member

It's a very nice looking build with very nice items, a couple of ideas until you can use your high lvl items like Kira's and Azurewrath maybe you should use a Shaeled Headstriker and Guillaume's Face for OW, CB and DS, Raven Frost for AR and CBF and instead of a HF merc you could use a Might merc equipt with Doom.

3. JustGotOwned

JustGotOwned IncGamers Member

For a ranged Enchantress should I use Gob toe for the 25% CB or cow kings for the fire dmg and dex? I've been debating and can't choose. . .anyone have an answer and why?

4. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

I've been thinking about this build myself, but I only play hardcore- so my plan was more along the lines of having the merc do the damage (keeping me out of the way). I was thinking to try to complement it not with TK but rather a cold based attack, like FO or blizz, just to keep the monsters further slowed chilled while the merc bangs on 'em.

A couple of questions, to see what you guys think:

-Act2 (might vs HF vs defiance) or Act5 merc better?

-Should I try get any points into hydra to help the merc out? I know hydra has been left behind in 1.10, but I always liked it before for the ability to keep my a$$ outta the fray - it really sucks losing your gear & sorc to some mana burn might-enchanted frenzytaur pack :(

- Any cheap (also only play ladder) equipment suggestions other than the obvious (shopping, gambling, etc)?

5. JustGotOwned

Im assuming this is a ranged enchantress? I'll run with that, I chose HF just because they keep everything. . .well mostly everything nice and slow for you. Kuko isnt that expensive, you can also use raven claw until you get something better. Both of these bows have the mod fires explosive arrow or bolt which is great for an enchantress as the the enchant damage is put into the splash damage. Hydras can deffinately help and with this build you should have enough points. . .skills are as follows
    -Max Warmth (synergy)
    -Max Enchant
    -Max Hydra
    -Max Orb
    -10 in cold and fire mastery
    -1 in tele
    -Rest into armor of your choice

So you should be done by lvl 82 :scratch: , if you make it that far, this is HC after all. My SC enchantress is using this right now incase youre wondering

-Shako
    -Kuko (shael)
    -Vipermagi (15ias 10%dmg to mana)
    -Magefists
    -SoJ/10fcr
    -Raven
    -Siggards Stealth
    -Cow Kings/GobToe
    EDIT:: Forgot about switch, for pre-buff I have occy and lidless, I also use that switch for casting as I reach a breakpoint and have +4 skills. With this IAS I also meet the 11fps firing rate as well which is fast enough with a HF merc

And an assortment of 7, 6 and 5mf small charms as well as a 15AR 1-26lightning dmg and 3 50psn smalls and one 100 poison small. Very fun build, just Hell is a pain in the a$$ with all the FI's, however with orb they should be taken down easily. I just party to make it easier and to leech when necessary. The only big prob I have is res right now and that is because I haven't done Hell Anya or gotten many res charms. Good Luck :thumbsup:

6. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

Thanks! Thats a great repsonse! Being in HC, I don't really plan on soloing in hell too much, for that very reason. However, since I usually play pubbies (sigh), its nice to be able to go out and kill some things on your own once in a while. My secret reason for doing this is of course (*whispers* i just got a second comp, and want to try out buffing my new charcters with some heavy duty fire damage before they head out...) OK, so I'm a big cheater. Sue me. Besides, my spearazon is getting really tired of the lightning immunes in act3...

7. prion

prion IncGamers Member

well I have a weird idea.
    If you put an Eld rune in your sheild, it will add 7% to the listed blocking, allowing you to have lower dex. This will also require you to boost your strength, but then you can wear heavier armor.

8. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Hmm, I wonder how much dex that would save? But I wouldn't mind having the extra dex anyway, for increased ar. There is no heavier armor that I would want to wear.

Another possibility could be Shael for faster block rate. Does anyone have a table of block rate breakpoints? Is block rate at all important?

9. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

One thing about the synergies, I'm sure this has been covered before (sorry). Wouldn't it be better to just put 20 pts into FM, then 10 into warmth? As good as the synergy is, iirc the FM returns a better percentage on damage,yes?

10. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Has anyone considered the effect of the enchant charges on Demon Limb? I know that the bone prison charges on Marrowwalk and the iron golem charges on Metalgrid both give synergy bonuses, so would the same be true of demon limb? If so then that would mean 20 skill points saved. It's too late now as I've already started the character, but it's a thought.

11. Fable13

Fable13 IncGamers Member

It Does But What Will It Synergize??? Enchants Only Syn Is Warmth The LvL 23 Enchant Charges Wont Do Anything To Up The Dmg Of Enchant

12. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Doesn't it work the other way around? I mean won't the charges of enchant get the synergy from warmth?

13. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i don't think they will, i think charges are just you get what it says and nothing more.

you could test this with any combat paladin and a sword with zeal charges. The % damage boost from the charges will show up in a different square than the % boost frrom your skill. Now looking at the zeal charges, I bet it will show up with NO damage boost, while when you *have* the skill even at slvl 1 it gets the bonus from Sacrifice.

You could really test this with almost any skill charge that does damage but the zeal charges are probably much cheaper to test than anything else.

14. SHouston

SHouston IncGamers Member

I agree. Kuko is a really good bow for an Enchantress, however, you need 65% IAS to reach 11 fps with a Kuko. I suggest using a Demon Machine, you still get the splash effect from the bolts, get more Physical Dmg, 66% Piercing Attack, an AR boost, and you only need an additional 10% IAS to reach 11 FPS. 10% is easy to get, and you can free up some equipment slots to get other mods (like resists)

15. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Actually I've heard the contrary... you will get the synergy from warmth and Fire Master... but... you won't get the +skills equipment added to your enchant. So... if you have +10 skills on your equipment plus a whole slew of charms then you can't get the lvl 30+ on enchant since you're using charges instead of your skill.

16. JustGotOwned

Kuko and Demon are both great wpn's for a ranged enchntress. I totally agree, but this is HC we're talking about and I'm guessing he doesn't have Demon Machine or is to poor to trade for it, no offense, just most people on HC have nothing except what they find. I would not mind a Demon Machine at all on my enchantress, I just can't afford it right now. :love:

17. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I've started building the character and have got as far as act5 nm. A few things have come to light:

1) Without any physical damage boost I can't leech a thing even with a reasonable 16% ll. It's the same problem I had trying to make an avenger paladin; damage is great, but with only a tiny proportion of it being physical I have to keep returning to town to buy more pots.

2) I'm stuck in block-lock most of the time, even if I only take on one or two monsters at a time. Perhaps it would be better to ignore blocking and put all stat points into vit? On the other hand that would leave me with big AR problems.

3) Elemental damage takes down my energy shield almost immediately. This will probably improve somewhat as I put more points into telekineses (only two in there at the moment).

4) Life is pitiful. 130 points in vit so far and less than 400 health.

5) Teleport is fantastic. It feels wierd teleporting into groups of monsters instead of away from them as a sorc normally would. It's the perfect skill for singling out bosses/resurrecting monsters and for forcing ranged attackers to melee.

18. SHouston

SHouston IncGamers Member

On a Sorc you only get +1 life point per LvL up and +2 life for each skill point invested. Its good that you put a lot into Vitality but to get a real boost you need Items/Charms that will boost your LIFE. Some +20 to life small charms in your Inv. can make a big difference.

19. prion

prion IncGamers Member

wow--i just tested and item charges do use your synergy bonuses!
    I tested with an elemental druid using a staff with slvl 1 firestorm charges
    It shows as 10-21, exactly the same damage as my firestorm from skills.
    slvl 1 firestorm should only do 3-7 damage

20. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I'm trying to get as many +life charms as I can, but they aren't so easy to come by, and my inventory is stuffed full of resist charms until I hit lvl 77 and can wear Kira's.

So far I've just entered hell at lvl 74. For the last few levels the equipment has started to come together and it's become much easier. In particular, putting on the 'stone' wire fleece made a noticable difference because I now have reasonable defence, and an Annihilus charm helped boost everything.

A few points in telekinesis does seem to have helped: In hell blood moor I came across a group of three bosses, two lightning enchanted and one cold/fire enchanted. I was just about able to tank all three groups (with the help of my merc, which reminds me: merc+enchant -> all powerful merc!) and only had to recast energy shield a few times, so perhaps it can be worth having. Have to wait and see what happens as I progress through hell...