Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Dragon build

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Cario, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Cario

Cario IncGamers Member

The Dragon build

Hi guys,

I've just come back to Dia after a long while (I dropped ot after getting bored waiting for the patch) and was browsing the forum for some interesting new builds that had not been developed yet.

Here is my proposal:

The Dragon (i.e. the Inferno sorc)

I was looking at this skill in 1.09 and it was effective in normal and nm, (well thats how far my sorc got in the old patch), but I was wondering how far I could get with the help of the new synergy warmth to boost my damage.

The aim is to max inferno, warmth and FM for damage.

With warmth maxed, I might as well utilise this in another way.
    I will be playing a high mana sorc and the E-shield - TeleKinesis combination that might prove to be beneficial. The idea is to play a non block sorc (low dex and wielding a leaf staff), and have high mana and regeneration to be able to cope with the damage dealt to me.

In addition to high mana I would need to focus on defense, so a defiance merc and a heavy armor (strength investment) of a holy freeze merc to allow longer grilling would be effective.

Has anybody got and experience with inferno in the new patch?

Input would be welcome.

I'm currently level 14 and grilling stuff nicely in 6-8 player games, not as efficient all the standard chars, but I do manage to solo a little, so it seems to be viable.

Cheers,
    Cario

2. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

Using this skill calculator with +10 skills and inferno, warmth, and fire master maxed, the damage came out to 3933-4186 per second with a range of 17.3 yards. I think that's somewhat viable, but you'll be dependant on a meatshield. I would add Frozen Orb (you have enough points) for your skill against fire immunes. I might try this out myself...

3. yangsta

yangsta IncGamers Member

Wow.. this skill calculater is cool! Never knew of it before.

Only problem is that the calculations seem to be a bit off.. like i would pump frozen orb to lvl 30, but it gave a higher result then it acually is in-game.. I have a frozen orb sorceress with tal set.. and has a lot less dmg then what the calculater says.. I even have 15% increased cold dmg from the tal orb... yet.

4. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

The problem is that it count's +skills to synergies and only hard skill points counts towards synergies.

I've made an inferno sorce... was disappointed by lvl 50. She kills fine but the set up animation for inferno makes the skill a pain to use. I made a +2 warmth + 3 inferno staff into leaf and it rocks. I wouldn't bother with E-sheild. I'd go straight frozen Armor if anything at all. Even with the Telekinesis help it doesn't do much for your E-sheild. I always end up with no mana for casting.

Really with the way the FHR table is I'd just try not to get hit. Like I said that initial animation to cast inferno takes forever so if you get hit you have to run and get set up a good ways away.

If I were to start all over again I'd do: Inferno, Warmth, Fire Mastery, Enchant, and Blaze... Then I'd put the rune word strength (or a Hone Sudan), Rattle Cage, and Guillame's face on my Merc (85-105% crushing blow). Then you have 2 types of damage that both of you can do. You also have the option of doing a ranged enchantress. Enchant will help your merc land blows and blaze is just back up for when your merc goes down, or if you want to build a stack and then lure the monsters on it.

5. Talon0835

The damage should be right with the skill calculator. I just checked my Blizzard Sorceress and old FO Sorc and it came out right.

Royalesse, it doesn't do that. The skill planner even explains that it synergies are affected by skills if you slightly scroll down.

6. prion

prion IncGamers Member

hi Cario
    my build is much like yours, I'm at level 18.
    make sure you get a point in frost nova, it makes a big difference in the amount of damage you take.
    well here's the thread I started a little while ago, in case it has helpful info:
    http://forums.rpgforums.net//showthread.php?t=120553
    I imagine this build will dominate nightmare maggot lair.

7. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

its not much, but i made a pvp inferno sorc in 09 on classic. i built it to have high defense, low blocking (40% from shield, the shield was high defense), minimal plus skills. i ended up with no +to all skills and the sword that has +2 fire skills.

the thinking was that if i don't get hit, i won't stop casting and ill kill w/e is attacking. it worked to an extent. i took down WW barbs and other melee chars. The WW barbs got one WW off before i cooked them. but i couldn't touch ranged attackers.

the character was rolled back (lost 2 sojs) before i maxed a cold armor.

8. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I won't comment about the specific skill of your choice other then to say it sounds interesting. I would not go without the shield though and you don't have to. Leaf gives you, what, +3 to fire skills? You can get a good shiled and use Hexfire sword for +3 to fire skils. Then you have the best of both worlds!

Good luck with your build and let us know how it turns out.

Masa

9. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

I had one inferno sorc back in 1.09, and it was viable with massive + to skill and huge def.
    Don´t get FO or another spamable skill... it hurts your Inferno casting ability, instead, pick one of the cold armors, pref. the second armor, and max it, and get a DEFIANCE merc as meat shield, then, wear a huge def armor and a leaf staff.
    My choice in 1.09 was a 1800 def arkaine´s valor with +2 sorc skills.

Why?

Inferno damage output is hurt if you stop once in a while to cast your secondary skill.
    Damage output is also hurt if you get into stunlock/block, as you have to go into casting animation again.

Huge def + cold armor + Defiance merc = non-stop monster burning.

10. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Just read Mathil´s post... well... this is the way to go with Inferno!
    Huge Defence :)
    I´d go with a Leaf Staff, it beats any weapon/shield combo if you make Leaf in a good staff thu.

11. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

leaf can get better than any skills combo on shield/wep. shield/wep gets 4 to skills. leaf gets +3 fire, +warmth and can have +3 inferno +3 firemastery.

this is one of the few staffs that gets better benefits than shield/orb combos.

12. Cario

Cario IncGamers Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your imput. I have'nt been playing this weekend, but this gives me some good suggestions.

I'm looking for a staff +3 inferno + 3 orb :) for my leaf staff. I want to play a staff lady, and shields are out of fashion. I had an inferno sorcy in 1.09 which went the block route, and I didn't have high enough FBR, so basically became block locked and couldn't cast anymore (those cows...).
    Because of this I decided against going for the shield option.

I know I need some kind of monster slow, and I thought that going for a cold spell, this would interrupt my casting of inferno and reduce my damage, therefore not an ideal solution.

I think I'll opt for using my HF merc, as this allows me to cast longer and gives me a chance in running away. Obviously a defiance merc with a doom lance would be the ideal mix, but hey, who's that rich....

My main focus will be getting my three fire spells to max, and then use the second cold armor to raise defense, the rest goes into e-shiled (2-3) - (this is affected by + skills) and more points into TK (to lower the damage). I'll try and post my calculations later, once this forum is back up steady.

I know the e-shield is bugged for elemental damage, but I like the idea, and this sorcy will have pretty high mana with 20+ points in warmth. I don't want to spend too much points in life, but rather try out this synergy.

The rest of my skill points will be going into strength untill I can wear a heavy armor with high defense.

Since I'm playing ladder, I need to be pretty flexible regarding gear, as I'm not stocked out. This will mean that I most probably won't have a level 45+ inferno. I will need to be playing behind some tanks in a friendly party, but that shouldn't be too hard to find. (wish, wish)

I'll let you know how I'm getting on,

enjoy,
    Cario

13. Talon0835

You'll NEED a great deal of points in Vitality. Believe me. You'll find plenty of strength boosting items to make up for your needs. Warmth boosts mana regen only, btw. I look forward to hearing what high Warmth does to your mana regen because I've never heard anything about it. Good luck. ^_^

14. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

a few tips:

you can pre-buf eshield. meaning u don't need to waste the 3 skill points to get it. you can just cast it from a staff on switch. u would want to use a memory staff, but it sounds like u can't afford that for a weapon on switch. so keep your eye out for a orb/staff with +es. TK will need points in it however.

you can go with less than max vit, but u don't want to test how much. using es will reduce the amount of vit you will need, but talon0835 is right that u can't only depend on mana to absorb the dmg unless u get lvl 40 eshield (max=95% which is around lvl 40).

the leaf. you should look for a +3 inferno +3 firemastery 2 socketed staff, but the chances of finding that are next to nill. and if u do, im sure u could trade it to the right person for quite a bit. as far as practicality is concerned, anything with +3 inferno is a keeper. even +2 is good. the runes that make leaf are easy to find/get, so don't worry about making a leaf out of something that isn't that good.

EDIT: i meant to say something about the merc. if you don't want to have to worry about chilling enemies, u can get a HF merc. but its iether that or get a defiance merc and orb. i can see why u would want orb on staff if you only want a lvl 10 or so orb. its your choice.