Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The difference between IP/open bnet?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sunflowersmooth, Sep 2, 2006.

1. sunflowersmooth

sunflowersmooth IncGamers Member

The difference between IP/open bnet?

I never realized that open bnet existed, and that it was different than bnet. I saw a character I created a long time ago there, and also saw that there were others playing games that I could join as well.

Are IP play and open bnet linked? Can someone explain to me what they are?

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

The only real difference is the medium through which you find games. In both cases, you use the character files that are stored on your local computer, and the person who makes the game hosts it (thereby technically requiring a slighly more powerful computer, though I wouldn't lose sleep over it much).

3. sunflowersmooth

Is open bnet is forbidden in the SPF forum? It seems to be very similar to bnet. And also, if a computer were to be reformatted, would the characters be lost, or still remain once the game is reinstalled? I assume all the comps in the house would have access to the SP characters.

I like your icon thingy orphan.

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

It's similiar to closed battle.net, except that the character files are stored locally on your computer, rather than on the battle.net servers. This means that people can alter the character files, to give themselves "godly" items, unlike on on the closed battle.net realms.

Yes, if you format your computer, the character save files would also get deleted, unless you back them up to a seperate directory. The save files are stored in your D2 installation directory, in a folder called "Save". You may think that the closed battle.net characters are there as well, but the important .d2s file is not.

The only computers in the house that would have access to the character are the ones with the character file on them. It's possible for you to transfer the files between computers to play the same char on multiple computers though. With the closed battle.net servers, the character files are stored on the bnet servers themselves, which is why you can access them from any location. With open battle.net/TCP-IP, the files are stored on your computer.

I have an icon thingy? :scratch:

5. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Open B.Net is not forbidden in the SPF, but you should be aware of who you interact with on Open, as they might potentially "taint" you with nonlegit items.

6. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

I totally posted first >_<

and then.. it went all failed host lookup on me, and bork'd.

kinda.. irrelevant now I spose, but it shall not be wasted!
    o_O

If you reformat your hD, you'll have nothing on it. Your OS will have to be reinstalled, along with any drivers, upgrades, and security patches required - and then your games. Since SP characters are stored client-side (as opposed to realm characters, stored server-side). Reinstalling the game would copy the data directly off your cd's. When you save, you save to separate files (charname.d2s ?) which are stored in the Save directory of your Diablo II folder. So, no, these would not be there after a reformatting.

Uh.. as to all the comps having access to them - it'd depend on your lan settings. If config'd right, they're -supposed- to be able to talk to one another to some degree, although I'm not sure (and kind've doubt) that they'd be able to pull your SP d2 chars up with little hassle. They may be able to manually fetch the save file itself off your computer, but won't be able to load it directly.

7. sunflowersmooth

I think I was most shocked when I heard that it was possible to join each other's games in SP because I always thought SP was offline. I am guessing now that that is not the case.

So I think IP/open bnet in a way is a place where people can play outside of blizzard controlled areas, but still online. Both require an internet connection right? Open bnet is very vunerable to hacks because no one is there to ban the people if they wish to cheat. Does that mean open bnet games that are availible to join are festered with hacked/duped items, even more so than closed bnet?

Also, if it is possible to make private games in open bnet, what is the point of IP games? Is it used to seclude players from the taint of the servers? I guess what I'm asking is what can IP play do that open bnet cannot?

As for the tecnical side, if I begin to play SP ill reformat my comp first to avoid confusion. Btw, is there such thing as grushing in SP? I suppose it could be possible since you could join one another's games.

I also read the thread about CoS and how people were erasing many items and on occasion some characters as well. Is this a way to "purify" gameplay so that one could say it is all completely legit?

Thanks for your time guys.

8. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I'm guessing he's referring to your avatar?

9. SpaceFalcon

SpaceFalcon IncGamers Member

Open battlenet is gay, a guy killed hell diablo in 1 punch with no weapons on.

I quit that day.

10. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

The guy play Paper scissors rock with Diablo, where the guy showed rock and Diablo showed scissors, and Diablo got so angry that he burned himself up!

11. Creep

Creep Banned

As opposed to the fully legit items on the realms?

Open Bnet is full of hacking, cheating, Pking idiots.

The realms are only partially full of hacking, cheating, Pking idiots.

12. nex

nex IncGamers Member

It easier to find high rune than legit player in open bnet games.

But, if it is possible to play over TCP/IP what is the point of open bnet? :smiley:

Ofcourse. You can even start two copies of D2 on one PC and self rush.

There is only way to be completely sure your chars and items are 100% legit: don't play online and don't trade. If you play in MP games and trade there's always chance you will come in contact with some cheater. SPTF is based on trust so there's always risk involved.

13. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

There's no difference, gameplay-wise. In both cases, the character data files are stored locally on your computer, and virtually anything can be done to those files to imbalance the game completely.

14. sunflowersmooth

So the same character files are used to play open bnet and IP play? That means if I create a character on the single player mode (the one the requires no internet connection), could I then use him to play open bnet or IP?

Or would I have to start off in either or those two?

15. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

You can use the same characters that you play in single player on open battle.net and TCP/IP. You don't need to start over again.

16. sunflowersmooth

thanks to everyone for the thorough replies. I also have an unrelated question, but don't want to start a thread because I have been starting too many.

Anyway, I found a jewel off of hell baal, and wondering if people often keep these and reroll them with pgems. I assume level of the roller does not matter. Is this the best way to role a 40/15 or something like that?

Thanks for your answers guys.

17. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Did I say the closed realms were perfectly legit? I'm just giving the OP information about what Open was like. :rolleyes: