Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"The Devil" speaks at the U.N.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Road Ratt, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

"The Devil" speaks at the U.N.

Venezuela’s Chavez calls Bush ‘the devil’
    Speaking at U.N., leftist leader joins Iran in opposing U.S. influence

UNITED NATIONS - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez took his verbal battle with the United States to the floor of the U.N. General Assembly on Wednesday, calling President Bush “the devil.â€

“The devil came here yesterday,†Chavez said, referring to Bush’s address Tuesday. “He came here talking as if he were the owner of the world.â€

The leftist leader, who has joined Iran in opposing U.S. influence, accused Washington of “domination, exploitation and pillage of peoples of the world.â€

“We appeal to the people of the United States and the world to halt this threat, which is like a sword hanging over our head,†he said.

He also said the U.N. “doesn’t work†in its current system and is “antidemocratic.†He called for reform, saying the U.S. government’s “immoral veto†had allowed recent Israeli bombings of Lebanon to continue unabated for more than a month.

“Venezuela once again proposes today that we reform the United Nations,†he said. He drew tentative giggles at times from the audience, but also some applause when called U.S. “imperialism†a menace.

Chavez lambasted Washington for trying to block Venezuela’s campaign for a rotating seat on the U.N. Security Council. He said if chosen over U.S.-favorite Guatemala in a secret-ballot U.N. vote next month, Venezuela would be “the voice of the Third World.â€

The U.S. government warns that Chavez, a close ally of Iran, Syria and Cuba, would be a disruptive force on the council.

SOURCE

The Devil speaks followed by Satan. If only the Pope and Osama Bin Laden had joined them they could've made a movie of the event and called it "The fellowship of the ring of evil". :wink:

2. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

That did make me laugh...reminded me of the Waterboy.

Hey look ma, the devil is on tv.

3. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

He gives Bush too much credit.

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

He invokes religion and nobody is pissed? You guys are falling down on the job

5. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

I thought the Iranian's speech was good...

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Yeah, except for the part about him being a greater evil than Hitler, he's not a bad guy.

7. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

What? Bush said he himself is bigger than Hitler? He's finally come to his senses!

8. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Very funny. You know what I meant. If not then you're nuts

9. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

I'm nuts? I hate to point it out to you, but you're the only one who doesn't hear that when Bush opens his mouth.

10. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The south called Lincoln evil as well. Time will prove me right. That should be right after Iran uses it's first nuke on Tel Aviv or New York.

Now if you're serious about thinking like this, then you should feel an obligation to do what you can to stop him.

11. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

I'd have to brush up on American history, but when I read your analogy I see:

Lincoln was called evil by the South

translates to

Democrats are called evil by the South err... Republicans

12. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Nevermind. Go about your life falling for the lies told by evil. Those of us who don't will try to keep you alive.

13. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

I said his speech dufus :rolleyes:

14. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

Are you trying to say Lincoln was in line with Bush? I mean, that's pretty nuts if you ask me. Freeing the slaves was quite a 'liberal' thing to do for a right winger in those days wouldn't you say?

*waits for smeg to shudder uncontrollably after hearing his favourite word*

You know, I normally lurk and not post regularly, but I saw this thread and just finished randomly watching a few old Clinton interviews on youtube, and it brought me back to the 90s... you know, when a few non-Americans were skeptical of the US's actions, lol, oh mine how irony chooses to work it's magic. It physically hurt me when the clip ended and I was faced with the reality of today, and I mean physically hurt to remember the Bush is actually in power.

I mean, Clinton's biggest controversy was some intern. Bush on the otherhand, invaded 2 countries, the first because his country got attacked, and the other which has been under unbelievable skepticism. He had the world's sympathy and support before this Iraq war. He seriously and sincerely did. All he had to do was show a little proof with his accusations and the world would have been behind him. And look waht he did with all of that power. Having that little bit of wiggle room from skeptism because of what his country had to go through from 9/11. WMDs WMDs blah blah. We asked for proof, he said "come along, then i'll show you after you get your hands dirty and country's military budget in debt."

No WMDs? Oh I get it, this was an expedition for "Freeing the Iraqi People" the whole time? Wow Mr Bush! You clever, clever fellow. No one caught that one. In fact, there are plenty of home grown republicans more than just willing to turn a blind eye to this back home. Why? Because it didn't involve a democrat, an intern, and an oval office. And you're calling me nuts?

By the way, Clinton's VP wasn't in charge of a huge comany named after a fish that reeked of scandel. Nono, reeked is a bad word, that implies "appears to be, but not proven." No, this WAS proven to be a scandel. What? No oval office or intern? Move along folks! Nothing to see here! Someone give smeg a megaphone, everyone needs to hear this wise man's thoughts! Voice of the future i say!

I'm so glad I'm Canadian, I mean, words truely cannot discribe it. I got this odd giddy feeling the earlier day after contimplating this whole Bush thing and recent events at the UN. I find it borderline acceptable, why? Cause he's not MY president! That giddy feeling was kinda like when you're walking across the street, and you narrowly avoid certain death by a speeding bus and can't do anything but laugh to yourself about it. Yeah, that's how lucky i feel.

Sure sure, you're gonna say something about the new conservative Canadian government, yadda yadda. Truth is, Canadian conservatives are arguably more left than US democrats! In fact, our PM is toning down his UN speech because of concerns people might miscontrue it as being too much in line with... you know, "him," the shrubster. We don't want that kind of attention, it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to not piss people off than to spend billions on keeping WMDs from entering your doorstep you know. You guys seem to love it for some reason.

Whew, okay, big sigh. Finally got that out of my system. :soapbox:

Carry on, carry on.

15. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

You do have to brush up on American history. Lincoln was a Republican.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What, Hugo Chavez can't say something nutty without Smeg swanning into a thread within three seconds and one-upping him?

You wonder why no-one complains about how crazy your hated South American leftist leaders are, Smeg? Maybe it's because you never give them a chance...

Halliburton is named after hallibut?

I don't know what the whole point of that is, the parties are so radically different now than they were then that there's really no comparison.

17. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

Hrm.

One jumped-up national leader calls another nations leader 'the Devil'. He is decried as being a nutjob.

Earlier, a national leader calls three other nations evil and it is a statesman-like address devoid of nutjobbery.

Hrm.

18. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

No no no, you're a nutjob if you call Bush evil. You're totally rational if you think the leader of Iran is a greater threat to the world than a genocidal maniac who started a war that killed tens of millions.

Smeg, today is like the greatest day ever for you. You've got (a) Chavez, speaking at (b) the United Nations, and he's holding a book by (c) Chomsky! Go to town big feller!

http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/004478.html

19. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Where was this in the U.N. speech, Smeg?

Oh, you're being lame again. Keep it up!

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

He isn't lame, he's the finest entertainment in the interwebs.