Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Defiant - still relevant/valid?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Helios1971, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Helios1971

Helios1971 IncGamers Member

The Defiant - still relevant/valid?

I haven't played this game in a while, so I know that quite a few things have changed in 1.10

One thing I used to love was I had a Defiant build, which was a lot of fun. The guy was a total tank and could rip through large crowds of higher-level monsters without much trouble. The guide for it is older, but I wonder if this build would still work. I guess really it's just a paladin with pumped up Defiance and Holy Shield, which shouldn't change that much through revisions - or am I wrong? He seems to be managing ok so far - I wonder if he'll get slaughtered later on. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated!

2. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

If he has good resists, then your defense will be insane, and you will be able to tank *anything* at all in the game. It matters not what. However, you will need to figure out some way of actually doing damage, as monsters got massively tougher in hell. A might merc might be an excellent idea, along with whatever attacks you plan on using.

---welt

3. Any1

Any1 Banned

The Defiant should be stronger than ever in 1.10. Holy Shield now boosts the total defense rating not just the shield's. This coupled with the synergy between Holy Shield and Defiance, will make A Defiant very successful.

There are a number of ways to play this:

Holy Shield: 20
    Smite: 20
    Defiance: 20 (synergy)
    Fanaticsim: 20
    LR/FR/CR: Rest
    Exile elite Ethereal Paladin Shield (Defiance aura, Life Tap)
    Might mercenary

Defiance: 20 (synergy)
    Fanaticsim: 20
    Elite ~200% Enhanced Defense rare shield (Ethereal is better)
    Defiance mercenary

Defiance: 20 (synergy & aura)
    Elite ~200% Enhanced Defense rare shield (Ethereal is better)
    Might mercenary

(You can of course replace Smite with Zeal + Sacrifice in any of these builds)

Crushing Blow has always been very good with Smite.

4. Apologetix

Apologetix IncGamers Member

it might be better to use sacrifice as your main attack.. it receieves synergy from fanat and it does a lot of dmg on its own.. so you could use defiance the rest of they way with fanat acting as a synergy.. you come up against one particularly tough monster you switch to fanat for the kill since you have it maxed as a sac synergye

i say
    20 holy shield
    20 defiance
    20 fanat
    20 sacrifice (im not sure if sac has other synergies.. but if so try to max those too)
    and all the one point wonders and utility skills.

all these overlapping synergies and dual aura is highly viable imo

5. Helios1971

Cool! :thumbsup: Thanks guys...Defiants aren't as concerned about doing high damage, since they can usually take their time to clean some monster clock. The earlier idea of a high-damage merc is a good one, though.

A question about resistances - and this is a n0oB question, I know - is the best way to build resistances to cube a bunch of diamonds and put them in a shield? It seems tedious and time-consuming. Although, granted, the payoff is pretty good if you have enough perseverance.

6. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

You'd be better off with a sanctury paladin shield already with resist, mine has over +110 resist all, make it really easy max resist. Ancient's plegde works well too if you don't have the runes for sanctury.

7. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

If you want to ride through the elemental mayhem you'll probably still want something that raises the resist cap, like Guardian Angel for example.

8. fugitive alien2

fugitive alien2 IncGamers Member

just curious, but how is that better than even a regular HoZ? in my experience for a defiant, HoZ with a 1k+ def. armor and max HS gives more than enough defense to tank anything in the game, and extra defense at the expense of the +skill and resists on HoZ is overkill.

9. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

get a "Beast" runeword weapon

10. Helios1971

These are all great suggestions...thanks mucho! Although I'll have to look some of this stuff up...I realize now that no RPG does items quite like D2! :p

11. Any1

Any1 Banned

Of course an upgraded HoZ would be much better.

12. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

I'd just like to say that the actual defiance aura isn't that great since it only adds like 300% on top of the 1000% enhanced defense. Might wanna go with fanaticism, of course you need defiance for über high ultimate defense though :teeth:

13. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

I play one of these in classic.
    Yeah he does low dmg and everything, but there are so amny hammerdinds in CS runs there's always conc and might on, and really all he does is tank. That's his name infact. Since I used smite, I put 10 in each res aura, to raise it, so now my resists are 80/80/80/75, and my defense can reach 11k... not bad for classic right? (80 base str so ornate is no-no)

14. fugitive alien2

fugitive alien2 IncGamers Member

that doesn't include the synergy boost, but i agree.

15. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

not much of a defiant if you don't use defience

16. Zarfol

Zarfol IncGamers Member

defiance really isn't worth it anymore as an active aura. It doesn't add enough defense and there are better aura's to be used intead. The formula is:

(base defense * holy shield and synergy from defiance) + (base defense * defiance bonus)

(i'm pretty sure about this... correct me if i'm wrong

However, if you are playing in a party, defiance would help your teammates.

Yeah, definately try to get HOZ, my old defiant (1.09) with lvl 20 holy shield and lvl 20 defiance hit 16000 defense (the shield's def was 2600 after holy shield i think, but back then, def was calculated differently)

After i make my ironbarb, i'm going to make a defiant hybrid weird char....

planning on using holy shield + defiance synergy + meditation (1 pt) and 20 in prayer. So i can have huge defense and the massive health/mana regen. I'll probably load up on crushing blow and put 5 or so in zeal to kill things, otherwise, i can just tank. I'll probably dump the rest into holy bolt for added fun. I might instead boost redemption and sacrifice for major damage.

I think it would be funny to be tanking up front and shooting holy bolts backwards to teammates low on life, probably not practical in hell, but it would be fun in NM.

BTW, armor shrines are fun :)

17. Halbreed7250

Halbreed7250 IncGamers Member

I do not like using this build anymore :(

18. moi

moi IncGamers Member

Useless, totally useless. You'll never be as strong, with defiance and a might merc, as you would be with fanatacism and a defiance merc. As has been mentioned before, now that holy shield adds to total defense, defiance is useless. Lvl 20 HS gives +310% to defense. lvl 20 synergy and now you have +610% to defense. lvl 20 defiance only gives +260%, and additonal + to defensive auras give another +10%, where as additional + to combat skills give another +15% (and they also boost your attack damage.

My advice: take a random zealot, for reference i have one around lvl 85 or so; at that point you have enough skill points to have maxed zeal, sacrifice, holy shield, and fanat. Instead of this, put like 10 or so in each of zeal and sacrifice, and max defiance as synergy. use fanat as main aura. hire an Act 2 normal defensive (defiance) mercenary. All the defense you'll ever need, and you'll hit hard too.

19. ARK

ARK IncGamers Member

What is it with everyone taking a crack at the pure defiant build?

Merc this merc that.. screw the merc I say. Try something different. Dont be a cookie cutter defiance merc-fana paly. How boring. Tell me how much defense youll have with a merc's aura compared to your own lvl 35 something defiance and holy shield. I highly doubt you will hit a defense of 50,000 with a merc. :rant:

20. moi

moi IncGamers Member

I've already addressed all your claims, but let me try this again. So you have lets say lvl 25 holy shield, lvl 35 defiance. You have +1095% to your base defense. I have lvl 35 holy shield (synergized) and a defiant merc from normal difficulty - his aura maxes at lvl 18 when he's lvl 75. Certainly room for some + skills there; lets say lvl 22. I have +1115% to base defense. I win. This is of course all highly dependant on how many + skills you have, if you'd like to bring foward an actual gearset, I'd be happy to criticize it and beat it with a fana + defiance pally.

As for the argument that defiants are better because fanatics are boring cookie cutters, that may well be true; but its a totally seperate thing than "which makes a better paladin", and I really don't care either way about it.