The D2 Exp System: Need Help!

AnthemIsElite

Diabloii.Net Member
The D2 Exp System: Need Help!

I don't think I'm alone when I say: The Diablo II experience system is... weird!
I mean killing Baal at level 20 would take skills, yet you get next to NO experience points for it because your not a high enough level. Well anyways, I was just wondering if anyone knew what level you have to be to get good exp for the follwoing runs: (Normal difficulty)

Cow Runs
Diablo Runs
Baal Runs (I think 25)

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
Baal - 25
Cows - 20
Diablo - Cow until 24, do Ancients to get lv25 then Baal.
If you can get a grush, save Ancients until you get to your high 80s, even early to mid 90s. Ancients normal give you about a quarter of XP in the high 80s, and Ancients nightmare about half your XP. Big time saver just like the grush itself.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I seem to recall seeing a little chart of what to do when in some of the guides on the Strategy Compendium.

Rabbitz

Diabloii.Net Member
Baal - 25
Cows - 20
Diablo - Cow until 24, do Ancients to get lv25 then Baal.
And before that. Trist till 12ish. Sewer runs till 20. Screw cows to hard to find a good game. Go for tomb runs till 24. Ancients --> baalruns.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
And before that. Trist till 12ish. Sewer runs till 20. Screw cows to hard to find a good game. Go for tomb runs till 24. Ancients --> baalruns.
Trist can take you to 15, possibly higher if you're crazy patient. Tombs can start immediately then, skipping the unpopular sewer runs.

I generally start a char, trist to 8 or so (or higher if I end up in a really good set of runs). Once those runs stop, I start a private game and just blow through till I get to Trist myself, at which point I can start doing my own trist runs, keeping at it till level 15.

Then I go into a questing/dueling game, one with preferrably four or more people, and push my way from dark wood to catacombs 2. Along the way I generally reach level 17-18 depending on how many random monsters I run into along the way. I continue in these full games as long as I can, as I can still get the staff in act 2 no problem - I usually have to start a new game once I get to the viper temple, either joining an act 1 questing game or doing a private until I snag the viper amulet.

From there, it's back to full act 1 quest games if I'm not in one already, to force my way through to Duriel. I usually help the lower level people do the andariel quest at some point, as well, then get them to come to act 2 to collect quests as I complete them. Let them keep leveling, and I level quickly - I usually leave act 2 around level 23/24.

Then comes the flayer jungle... you guessed it, full games. And at level 23/24 I usually have access to SOMETHING that can do mass killing. It also becomes easier to find full games that will allow me to get quests at this point, so I typically end up picking up the golden bird quest along the way. Never a bad thing. By the end of act 3 (usually takes me a half hour to an hour per act depending on my build) I'll have reached level 27. It would be higher, but my inherent knowledge of the map patterns for nearly every place in the game keeps me from spending too much time lost in the jungle.

In act four, I reach level 29+ easily. At this point, if I'm playing a caster, things get stupidly easy and I just plow through everything. I've got vipermagi, mahim-oak, a pamethyst'ed peasant's crown, sander's boots... I can wear full caster gear at level 29 with base strength on any char. Nothing really stands in my way. Razorswitch staff is typical.

I reach level 31 somewhere around the crystalline passage - frozen tundra area, when I continue into act five full games. For melee chars, this is where I equip a ribcracker, one of the single best melee leveling weapons out there. Plus I love the thwacking sound. As before, I'll be wearing sander's boots, mahim-oak if necessary, usually peasant's crown and vipermagi just because it's hard to argue with them. I don't have space to keep a spirit shroud around, and the resists on magi are nice.

From there, it's baals to 40ish, plow through nightmare solo in two hours or so (except on the rare build that requires one specific item to work) and reach level 50 in the process, nm baal to 60-75 depending on build, and murder hell.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, your run isn't a lot different to mine, Quietus. I just play the game through in 8-player games (if I can find them). Slow but at least it keeps me on my feet.

Actually - since you're the map expert, have you ever seen the first level of the Monastery spawn on the right side?

I mean, when you enter from the Tamoe Highlands you come to the courtyard and there are three rooms - one of which has a door leading to the rest of the Monastery, the stairs and eventually the Armorer. One room is on your left, one on your right and one straight ahead as you enter. Of all the times I've played the game through I'd only ever seen maps where the way through is on the left or ahead, but one time it was on the right. Boy, that was weird; I'd assumed it couldn't do that.

Ah, I thought there was a dedicated one but then I thought I was imagining it.

BabyLink

Diabloii.Net Member
that's how i work with my lvling:

lvl 1-15=trist
lvl 15-20 (sometimes 24)=tombs
lvl 20-24 (i sometimes skip this because people can't make the portal)=cows
lvl 24-25=norm ancients
lvl 25-45=norm baal
lvl 45-75=nm baal
lvl 75-till the end of the world=hell baal

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually - since you're the map expert, have you ever seen the first level of the Monastery spawn on the right side?
Yes, I have. That pattern is based off of the placement of the waypoint in the Outer Cloister itself. There are three possible patterns for the Outer Cloister - if you see the lower-left direction as being south, then it works like this :

If the waypoint is to the west side of the Cloister, the entrance to the barracks is to the east. This is the pattern you would have just encountered, and it seems to be rare.
Screenshot

If the waypoint is in the corner of a cross-shaped ... flowerbed? It's got bones... whatever. The cross shaped thing. The barracks will be to the north. This seems to be by far the most common map.
Screenshot

If the waypoint is to the east side of the Cloister, the entrance is to the west. This is also a rare/uncommon happening, though it occurs more frequently than the first one I described.
Screenshot

I took the time to get screenshots to illustrate what I mean - using these screenshots, it shouldn't take long to be able to recognize which direction the barracks are in from the outer cloister waypoint.

thefranklin

Diabloii.Net Member
I am not a big fan of grushing, but here is what I do.\

I do the same thing as everyone and norm baal till 40. Then I rush my character through nm AND through hell to chaos, and finish the 44 - around 80-85 in hell chaos and then do hell ancients. You do not have to worry about finding someone to glitch. I do lose the ability to do norm and nm ancients later, but its not that big of a deal.

Hardest part is getting to 25 from 15 where trist runs end. Solo'ing in full games is the way to go (tombs is good), but I find that I am too lazy to mule good gear over and I never use stat points until I have to, so my chars always suck early.

AnthemIsElite

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks guys, you're all a bug help, now dpes anyone know if there's a level requirement for the Ancients, as everytime I kill them it doesnt finish the quest, I'm told I can't complete it in the game.

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
Got any tricks for making it through the jungle area in Act III, Quietus? I have done it so many times I recognize general layouts, but I can't be certain like with your fountain trick.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Got any tricks for making it through the jungle area in Act III, Quietus? I have done it so many times I recognize general layouts, but I can't be certain like with your fountain trick.
Most places, such as the jungle areas, are based on a pattern. In general, the jungle maps will lead up and to the right, with any side areas branching off to the upper left and lower right. In each of the three jungle areas there are three side areas. They can appear in any order as best as I can tell, but you can get a general idea of what to look for as you walk.

Spider forest :
Spider Cavern (where the eye is)
Arachnid Lair and the waypoint
Large blank area with nothing of note

Great Marsh
Waypoint
Two areas with golden chests

Flayer Jungle :
Flayer Village (gibdinn, Flayer Dungeon)
Waypoint and Swampy Pit
Empty area that looks similar to the Swampy Pit region

There is no 100% always works method to some areas, like this - but after a couple of times walking through, and paying attention to these patterns, you learn quickly how best to move through. I usually take a half hour to forty-five minutes walking through act 3 solo.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, I have. That pattern is based off of the placement of the waypoint in the Outer Cloister itself. There are three possible patterns for the Outer Cloister - if you see the lower-left direction as being south, then it works like this :

If the waypoint is to the west side of the Cloister, the entrance to the barracks is to the east. This is the pattern you would have just encountered, and it seems to be rare.
Screenshot

If the waypoint is in the corner of a cross-shaped ... flowerbed? It's got bones... whatever. The cross shaped thing. The barracks will be to the north. This seems to be by far the most common map.
Screenshot

If the waypoint is to the east side of the Cloister, the entrance is to the west. This is also a rare/uncommon happening, though it occurs more frequently than the first one I described.
Screenshot

I took the time to get screenshots to illustrate what I mean - using these screenshots, it shouldn't take long to be able to recognize which direction the barracks are in from the outer cloister waypoint.
Heat, neato! I never realized that. Come to think of it the second WP position seems by far the most common, the first looks downright wrong.

You went to all the trouble of making games to get these screenies? Wow. How many tries did it take to get the left-pointing one?

Most places, such as the jungle areas, are based on a pattern. In general, the jungle maps will lead up and to the right, with any side areas branching off to the upper left and lower right. In each of the three jungle areas there are three side areas. They can appear in any order as best as I can tell, but you can get a general idea of what to look for as you walk.

Spider forest :
Spider Cavern (where the eye is)
Arachnid Lair and the waypoint
Large blank area with nothing of note

Great Marsh
Waypoint
Two areas with golden chests

Flayer Jungle :
Flayer Village (gibdinn, Flayer Dungeon)
Waypoint and Swampy Pit
Empty area that looks similar to the Swampy Pit region

There is no 100% always works method to some areas, like this - but after a couple of times walking through, and paying attention to these patterns, you learn quickly how best to move through. I usually take a half hour to forty-five minutes walking through act 3 solo.
Heh, yeah. After long experience I worked these ones out myself. What really ****s me is when the Spider Forest dead-ends; you walk past all the special areas (Arachnid lair, Spider Cavern and the empty one), it keeps going for ages and then you just hit a cul-de-sac. I think that always means you have to go through the Marsh. And the branch that goes into the Marsh is sometimes all the way back near the beginning.

I used to reroll games until I got one where the Spider Forest connected up to the Flayer Jungle, but I think they changed things a bit because now that seems much more uncommon, it isn't worth the trouble of rerolling.

Oh, and sometimes the branch to the Great Marsh (and the maybe Flayer too, not sure about that) is through one of those three special clearings, that sometimes gets me.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Heat, neato! I never realized that. Come to think of it the second WP position seems by far the most common, the first looks downright wrong.

You went to all the trouble of making games to get these screenies? Wow. How many tries did it take to get the left-pointing one?
In total I made fifteen games expressly for this purpose - I did Nihlithak runs in between checking the waypoint, so it wasn't really any trouble.

Games 1-10 : The second one
Game 11 : the third one
Games 12-14 : The second one
Game 15 : the first one

The second one (with the planter cross) is by far the most common.

Oh, and sometimes the branch to the Great Marsh (and the maybe Flayer too, not sure about that) is through one of those three special clearings, that sometimes gets me.
I'm not sure if that's actually that special "blank" area, but it could be - I'll have to check next time I get a map like that. I've noticed maps where it hit that cul-de-sac though, unfortunately I've never noticed any sort of pattern that would let you identify these. As soon as I do, I'll let everyone know.