Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Committed Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by kestegs, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Collateral.Damage

Collateral.Damage Diabloii.Net Member

Got a deeds at lvl 15 fighting a named ghost while going after the Countess. Didn't grab a screen though.

Parker the Paladin, dead at 15.

Enter Dropa, the Elemental Druid!! Starting at /players 4, also Hardcore.

2. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 Diabloii.Net Member

Krelos and Oriana have completed Act II on /p8 and have some good leveling to show for it. Entering Act III we are changing things up a bit, by adding more power to our mages and removing three skeleton warriors. The mages seem very adept at shooting fast movers over the rivers and canals in Act III, which should be a nice change up. They also provide nice scouting behavior in the dark underground places when they start firing at monster quite a ways off.

During our travels through Act II we managed to find quite a few runes, gems, Isenhart's armor and sword and Duriel dropped the Beserker helm. Krelos is wearing the Isenhart's pieces on his switch, which he'll probably never use unless really necessary later on. Oriana now wears the Berzerker's helm providing her with max FR.

Decent gambled circlet for a Lord of Mages:

Screenshot009.jpg

Krelos and Oriana, Level 28, Starting Act III

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    felixbavaria likes this.
  3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

Vilkas is now level 14 in /p8 Act1 and just grabbed the Black Marsh WP. Killed off the archer lady first thing so I can hold out for Act2 spearman. Having no problems whatsoever, keep Feral Rage charged up and whack everything to death. Even the normally hairy Treefist battle was a nonevent. Titan wolf is beast.

4. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Good choice of name!

5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Code:
    Table of Heroes:
    Forum Name        Class                   Char Name  LVL  ACT  Area
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jiansonz          Summon Necromancer      Mago       35   A5   Harrogath
    Azimuthus         Trap Assassin           Fury       34   A5   Harrogath
    logoutzero        Warcry Barbarian        Barry      23   A2   lost city
    Southpaw8668      Javalein Amazon         Ema        23   A2   Far Oasis
    felixbavaria      Shadow Assassin         Cisa       21   A2   Lut Gholein
    kestegs           Elemental Druid         Rhett      21   A2   Lut Gholein
    Dezrok            Martial Assassin        Marita     21   A2   Lut Gholein
    Southpaw8668      Summon Necromancer      Krelos     28   A3   Start
    Toa3t             Bow Amazon              Marnie     14   A1   Blood moor
    GooberGrape      Shift Druid              Vilkas     14   A1   Marsh
    jamesixgun        Bow Amazon              Fatema     11   A1   Cold plains

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Fallen (RIP):
    Forum Name        Class                   Char Name  LVL  ACT  Area
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dazliare          Fire Sorc               Atronach   19   A1  Catacombs
    Dazliare          Fire Sorc               ???        12   A1  Stony field
    Collateral.Damage Combat Paladin          Parker     10   A1  Stony field

6. felixbavaria

felixbavaria Diabloii.Net Member

Act II is done. /p8 all the way.

Two notable unique items: Nokozan Relic and The Diggler. Too bad that Cisa can't dual wield a dagger and a claw.

The Duriel fight was not exactly easy this time, and we did have to portal out once to restock on potions. The problem was that once we rushed Duriel, Elexa would get into the range of his Holy Freeze aura. We portal parked Duriel on the opposite side of the entrance, then re-entered and cast a Shadow in his face. This did the trick - he kept his position long enough for Elexa to engage him, and the rest was history.

Screenshot233.jpg

Screenshot234.jpg

Ethereal failed unique Blade Talons, meh. But the ring is useful, with LR, GF, and AR.

Cisa, Elexa and Shadow, level 27, Kurast Docks

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  7. Dezrok

Dezrok Diabloii.Net Member

Marita has cleared Act 2 on p8. Playing a lot more aggressively then I normally would with a tourney character, felt like I was flying through, although obviously nothing like the speed of jiansonz and Azimuthus. Great work guys!

Marita kept coming across odd Skeleton Mages throughout Act 2. Could these be the lost remnants of Mago's army? Regardless, they were dispatched the same as all the other monsters out there.

A Tir and El dropped together in the Halls of the Dead (not sure if it was the same monster or just the same pack). Perfect for Steel, so we shopped a 2os Scimitar and this became our main weapon for the rest of the Act. A 9/3 kick is plenty fast at this stage of the game! The OW worked very well with the Knockback from Dragon Talon and the Blind from Umbral Disk. Packs would rush in on Marita, who would kick them, knocking them back out of range, blinding them so they would then just stand around passively while OW and some poison from charms would kill them off. Once all the pack was blind and scattered it was easy to run around and finish off any that survived one-by-one. For large packs where we were getting completely surrounded, a 1pt Dragon Tail kick was great to gain us some space to extricate Marita and choose a more strategic location to make a stand.

An Eth rune dropped in the first of Tal's Tombs letting us make Stealth. The FHR meant we could shuffle around other gear and charms to get our strength up to 70, equipping a plated belt and greaves.

A few more challenging moments in the Tombs, including a couple of instances where Marita's life got considerably lower than I was happy with. Kaa the Soulless was one of the challenges but the biggest challenge came from a Stoneskin boss Ghost. I knew PIs would be a problem for Marita and had long term plans to deal with them but wasn't expecting to come across any until NM at the earliest. I was plenty surprised when this ghost just wouldn't die after several rounds of kicks. I had stashed Blade Talons with Amp Dam but not expecting to need them they were in the GoMule stash … so in the end it was Normal attacks and maybe 18 poison dam over 3 secs from charms that took the boss down. The Amp Dam talons are in the stash now.

Quite a few S/U's in this Act, given we have 0 MF: Arctic Binding in the Sewers; Stoutnail in the Lost City; The Diggler from the Claw Viper Temple; Greyform from the 6th Tomb (thought this was a Grailer but apprently I have found one once before); and then towards the end of the True Tomb Hawkmail dropped .. that elusive CBF mod and perfect for the Duriel fight!

Duriel was tanked after swallowing a stack of Thawing pots. One red and one blue pots later Duriel was no more. She dropped a big pile of Rares along with one TP and Goreshovel. Unfortunately none of the Rares were worth keeping, but still better then the usual junk she drops.

Not many screenshots from this Act, playing a fresh install of D2 on a new computer and still sorting out the keys. Oh, and it sure makes a difference playing on a 27" screen, as opposed to a 13" laptop.

Marita the Kicker, Lvl 28, Normal Act 3 Kurast Docks

8. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Don't think so. His look more like the Bone Mages in Act 1.

Probably different monsters, although Bloodwitch the Wild could theoretically drop both.

You think of Duriel of as a female demon? Pretty manly voice, I'd say, but you never know with demons.
    So would this entity be the Lady of Pain, then? I thought she was in another (awesome) game... :D

Wow, that sounds big. How far from the screen are your eyes? Too close and one would risk losing a good overview.

Nice going with Marita. Assassins are interesting in this tourney, as all of her skill trees seem to allow for decently playable builds.

9. Azimuthus

Azimuthus Diabloii.Net Member

So, 8 ppl ancients fell. It was not that hard, but I prepared a lot. Gambled +30 fr boots, put 2 skulls into crown, got stealth plate and luckily found manald. So - 55 faster run, 50 mana rec rate with some nice life regen. Definitely, on hell ancients i ll use this same tactics, but for sure i will run out of pots so these items will be of crucial importance there. Ancients didn't attack merk but was running after me all the time - same will happen with hell version perhaps.

1 scary moment happened in Anya's cave. Frozenstein minions got me cornered. Luckily, there was still some little place to slip from them. Now - Baal and after that Nihlatak (maybe I ll skip the battle with him personally due to his explosion attack which may bring nasty and unnecessary surprise).

Current lvl: 44. Items: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HjGShbUpzQMISY02CKFEMGNuL0/edit#gid=957388890

One interesting thing is those lightning damage wands. Bought one for cheap with 200+ dam. With static circlet this gives up to 270 damage per 1 thrown suriken. At the moment AR is enough, so it works perfectly. Don't know however what to do with that on hell diff, but we'll see. Maybe sigon items will help a bit - but this means I ll have to change mana/life regen helm -(

10. Azimuthus

- Well, well. An assassin. Well I'm sure we are all grateful for your presence
    in our troubled town, you need not have made the journey. I can personally say that your skills are not required here.
    You would serve your clan better elsewhere.

- Em... okay.

Baal is dead (dropped yellow crap), and here we go to 8 ppl Act 1 NM. I cleared some Hall of Anguish but drop and exp was so bad that I decided to skip the quest at once. Let noble Nihlatak live. he suffered too much for these last 15 years -) (sorry Baal, we still need you).

Current level = 46|

PS: Ah, there's normal cow level as well. Maybe we'll get some milk there before going to Andy -)

11. Southpaw8668

Ema has slain Duriel on /p8, which was a rather nervy fight. I wasn't a bit surprised nevertheless. My forethought was to enter the chamber, chuck a poison javelin in his face, throw up a portal, switch and nail him a few times with my newly made Malice broad sword and bone shield of deflection. This sword was slightly slower than my Steel crystal sword, but I decided to give it a shot with the doubled chance of OW, ITD and -TD.

This wasn't going well with Ema's low CR, even after chugging thawing potions she was barely making any contact. So, she took the portal grabbed the rest of the full purples in the stash and tried to just use Poison Javelin and run laps while he was slightly chilled from the cold charms. This approach was working slowly, which I was a bit surprised given my poison damage with Poison Javelin.

Once again, back to town for more health potions and now that I have used all my full purples, I was becoming slightly worried as he was still above half health and not dropping as quickly as I had hoped. Plan C on the fly, I switched to Plague Javelins with lower, much quicker poison potential and presto his health started to drop big time when I lapped him since he was slightly slowed and circling around in the Plague Javelin clouds!!! What a relief and I actually had some health potions left when he finally fell. Leaving a decent drop I suppose for no MF. The only item of any use was the charm adding some more needed FR and additional poison damage. I can't even keep the unique sword for my Iron Wolf, since it is a two hander. I'm hoping to have the runes to eventually make him duel Spirits anyway, or something with FCR.

Screenshot003.jpg

Ema the Green Javizon, Level 27.98, Act III start.

12. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

You'll have to boost his STR with some item(s) if you want him to hold a shield that has 4 sockets.

13. Dezrok

I was sure one was wearing a "Mago" t-shirt ;)

Actually I think of Duriel as genderless but didn't want to offend by calling it an 'it'. But I met a women once with a voice like Duriel, so wouldn't like to judge on that alone.

It's nice to be sitting back a bit. Makes a change from hunched over the laptop peering into dark corners looking for baskets. And not so big that there is risk of losing a good overview. I have noticed a lot of detail in the graphics that I've never noticed before though. It's almost like a new game.

14. Azimuthus

Current status: A1 nm Black Marsh, 48 lvl.
    Stuff here.

15. Southpaw8668

I'll start accumulating those amethysts right away or come up with Lionheart or the like. I'd imagine a Monarch has the lowest strength requirements.

16. logoutzero

logoutzero Diabloii.Net Member

Small quick update. Level 27, in Kurast, playing /p8. Got a fire mage, and cleared the Spider Forest, the Arachnid Lair, and the Spider Cavern so far. Gear stinks, but gambled a Lenymo! Hooray for 30% mana regen! I'm gonna love that when I start singing!

17. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Okay, I said I would enter once I was finished with Calabi, so welcome Yau the Titan Mauling Grizzly to the mix.

He will focus on Maul and Shockwave to stun everyone into oblivion while he smacks them around, and use almost exclusively 2-handed weapons (as soon as he can equip one, anyways). He will use an Act V merc for even more two-handed stunning fun. That is, assuming he can make it that far by himself :p. Normal will be played on /players 8. Let's get started!

Yau started his journey by throwing away his shield (he doesn't believe in them) and smacking things around with his club until he had the strength and money to buy and equip a 2-socketed Large Axe. He stuffed a chipped emerald and chipped sapphire in there once he found them and went on his way, ripping through everything. Once we got to level 6 and got a point in Werebear, things just took off. While shifted his life total is quite high despite base vitality, and having all points going into strength means he's doing quite a bit of damage for this stage of the game.

Blood raven's bow had ctc amp and chilling, so she was the first monster that made Yau drink some potions. Despite that, she still died pretty quickly:

[​IMG]

After that it was smooth sailing again, even Coldrow and Griswold didn't give him any trouble. We did however meet up with this nasty pack of archers in the Underground Passage. They hold the title of first monsters to make Yau's life dip below half. We knew this breezy ride wouldn't last forever, as the monsters' damage starts to catch up with Yau's life total he will begin having a tough time. Oh well, we're just going to enjoy it for as long as we can. :)

We had one scary moment in the Countess' tower, where he unshifted in the middle of fighting a champ pack of ghosts. With a couple quick rejuvs and some running, we were able to shift back and take care of them without any major danger. We definitely have to get used to remebering to re-shift to refresh the timer at slow spots. The Countess dropped us half of a "Steel' weapon:

[​IMG]

Like we predicted, things started to slow down in the Catacombs. Yau had to start being more careful and using the doorways to funnel monsters. It is good practice for later, as it's going to be interesting to try and make it all the way to Harrogath before having any help. Shockwave will help once we get there, but we have to get there first. :p We also came across what will be another obstacle for our big ball of fur; attack speed. This CE Spider boss was tricky, as once Yau was chilled, he attacked EXTREMELY slowly, it felt like 2-3 seconds per attack. It was manageable since we took the boss on alone, but if there were more monsters around, that could have gotten ugly.

Andariel was pretty straightforward. We led her over to the stairs and came back through our portal to clear out the level so we could take her on alone. Then we ran back and took her on, buffed with antidotes and with more in the belt:

[​IMG]

Even with the increased PR, we had to portal out a few times. So with a few town trips it was over, and her drop was unexciting, but what more can you expect with 0 MF? I'm actually really enjoying playing with 0 MF, it's a cool dynamic and a nice change.

Finds:
    - Cleglaw's Shield; useless for Yau, but it was our only S/U.

Yau the Titan Mauler Bear - lvl 20, Lut Gholein

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  18. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Nice progress guys! I'll update my progress soon.

I didn't know blood raven got a rolled bow. I've never once got amped while fighting her, and I've played a lot and killed her many times. Fascinating!

19. Southpaw8668

Funny, Ema the Green got the same Raven roll on her fight, which didn't help her much because of Ema's quickness and ranged poison attack really frustrated poor Red.

20. Dezrok

Marita has defeated Mephisto and cleared Act 3. All smooth sailing.

Some gambling at the start of the Act netted us this rare belt. The 24% FHR allowed us to reach the 48 breakpoint with just the Stealth armor. Handy preparation for all those Flayers to come. Then before tackling the tombs I decided to make Nadir, the CoS charges would be handy for dealing with stair traps in the temples. At the same time I cubed my 3 Tals and 2 Rals into an Ort and made a Zephyr comp bow, handy for any Water Watchers that were out of reach. In the end I was able to reach all the Water Watchers with a kick, so didn't need the missile attack at all. The only near stair trap was this one and it didn't need anything except our kicks.

In Kurast Bazaar we were able to get our first Pgem, a Topaz, using a gem shrine. Then after defeating the Council in Trav I realised I'd forgotten to mule back on Khalim's relics. So a S+E after finishing the clear, mule on the relics, make Khalim's Will (which would have been a pretty handy kicker weapon), then run into the temple, dodge the Council, smash the Orb, dodge some more while waiting for the smoke to clear and the passage to the Durance to open and dive down the hole away from the Council. Fun!

Meph was easily tanked at a cost of 2 blue pots. 2x 3% ll rings are plenty to keep our health bulb full at the moment. His drop was Steelgoad and a pile of yellows. The only other S/U for the Act was Bladebone back in the Flayer Jungle.

In summary, Marita is super strong at the moment and very little gives her trouble. AR with Dragon Talon is over 3K so she doesn't miss much. Even dolls don't slow her down (yet). Along with the Nadir, there is a rare amp dam Blade Talons in the stash for dealing with any PIs that come along, although we now have a few points in PS and that may be a better option. Never having used PS before I probably should start practicing with it a bit, before I really need it.

This rare circlet was gambled and made me very happy (that might be an under-statement):
    Cirlclet.jpg

Marita the Kicker, Lvl 32, Normal Act 4, Pandemonium Fortress

(anyone else having problems embedding images?? Only 1 of my 4 would work today, very strange)

bladejj, jiansonz and felixbavaria like this.