The Commandomancer Guide [Revised Edition]

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew and feel free to raise some corpses.

Why wouldn't it be? It has strong minions and can take advantage of even more insane melee runewords. Perfectly viable. I just wish some people would actually play it like it was meant to be played.

Vick_Mackey

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually did anyone here forget the fact that if you play right, you can also add in an aura from an iron golem ( Just think of the possibilities ^^ Beast Zerk/Pride Might Merc with Thorns/ and an Infnity Iron Golem)
Meaning You would have Might, Thorns, Conviction, Fanaticsm and Concentration goingall at the same time!! OMG Tha Sexiness:)

uncleholdout

Diabloii.Net Member
i like this build. but i traded the act2 merc for a bow merc /w bramble,faith and use crystal sword might

the reason i traded mercs is cause of iron maiden.

great build tho thanks alot

deadbeater

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, put 1 in each of the curses, and learn how to use each one for any situation. Don't go without Dim Vision in Worldkeep, for example.

God I hate necro players that don't know how to use the Curse tree.

Last edited:

FierceDeity

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, put 1 in each of the curses, and learn how to use each one for any situation. Don't go without Dim Vision in Worldkeep, for example.

My first necromancer, no need to be an ***.

privatecitizenx

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, don't assume that everyone who doesn't use the whole tree doesn't know how to use it. I learned the whole tree while tinkering with fishymancers, but I rarely use most of it now.

That being said, DO learn how to use Dim Vision for those nasty Gloams. :afro:

deadbeater

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sorry, not meaning to flame. I just don't like playing other characters being surrounded by Gloams while a Necro stand there doing nothing to stop the Gloams from shooting, because all he had was Amplify Damage, in Hell. Happens to me too many times to count.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
It is a valid complaint and I think most of us feel like that sometimes. It is just that I wasn't too thrilled with the wording of the original post.

williamchan

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Commandomancer Guide [Revised Edition]

Quick question it may sound noobish though, but I have a Last Wish that I wanted to use on my 1st commandomancer and instead of the act 2 NM merc I wanted to switch him for another merc since I would have the might aura already, my question is, which aura is higher level? And would it be viable to go commando with a Last Wish PB than rather using Beast?

Oh, 2nd question would probably be what would be the variables to take in consideration for this character to be able to do Ubers?

Azaar

Diabloii.Net Member

Been lurking for a while, but finally have a reason to start posting.

I know you're advocating Act II Nightmare Offensive Mercenary for the Might aura -- the prospect of serious damage is a nice one. I admit that my knowledge of the nuts-and-bolts mechanics of how the skills work is lacking, so this might be a stupid question I'm about to propose: why not Act II Normal Offensive for Blessed Aim?

Is the AR for the Commandomancer's skeletons and golem with the benefit of high +skills for Summoning/Necromancer/all skills high enough not to require Blessed Aim to ensure that you're hitting in conjunction with the Beast runeword's Fanaticism aura, or is it just better to have Might and the +###% damage boost balance out the potential greater number of hits that one could expect from having a higher AR from Blessed Aim?

seoinage

Diabloii.Net Member

Been lurking for a while, but finally have a reason to start posting.

I know you're advocating Act II Nightmare Offensive Mercenary for the Might aura -- the prospect of serious damage is a nice one. I admit that my knowledge of the nuts-and-bolts mechanics of how the skills work is lacking, so this might be a stupid question I'm about to propose: why not Act II Normal Offensive for Blessed Aim?

Is the AR for the Commandomancer's skeletons and golem with the benefit of high +skills for Summoning/Necromancer/all skills high enough not to require Blessed Aim to ensure that you're hitting in conjunction with the Beast runeword's Fanaticism aura, or is it just better to have Might and the +###% damage boost balance out the potential greater number of hits that one could expect from having a higher AR from Blessed Aim?
It really is situational, depends on what you are fighting, don't forget that fanatacism adds to attack rating as well, but not near what blessed aim does. I would think the ar from blessed aim would be nice for bosses but not needed for other mobs.

sinub

Diabloii.Net Member

Sry if this had been asked already (or over and over again)
- What gear would be good for low/mid lvl? I mean from 1 to about 2x or 3x then from 3x to 5-6x when u can equip all the goodies.
- Does the Infinity (on merc) only good for mage skeleton? Which is better Pride or Infinity?

Azaar

Diabloii.Net Member

At low levels, the Infernal Tools set might be an option: it's a grim wand/cap/belt set that can net you +2 Necromancer skills early on, but by the time you're closing in on Act 5 Normal, you should be able to replace that entirely since you can get +2 Necromancer skill wands around level 30. For armor, Stealth is decent for low levels -- Smoke might be better for the defense and resistances. If you luck into it with uniques, Wormskull gives you +1 Necromancer skills, and the Undead Crown gives +3 Skeleton Mastery. Mid levels, stuff like the Spirit Shroud and Skin of the Vipermagi opens up to you for +1 all skills.

As for Pride vs. Infinity... I'd say Infinity, hands down. Remember, the Conviction aura doesn't just lower resistances -- it lowers Defense as well, making it much easier for your foes to be hit in general, never mind taking more elemental damage.

sinub

Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you. :thumbup:
Personally, I prefer the Infinity too. Because I can transfer it to any of my later caster and it'll still doing a great job. As for the Pride, well... I just can't think of another place for it.