Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Cheap Killer Fury Druid!

Discussion in 'Druid' started by nutrimat, Mar 15, 2004.

1. nutrimat

nutrimat IncGamers Member

The Cheap Killer Fury Druid!

The Buriza/Shapeshifter is fairly well known in some circles, or at least it used to be. I have a couple of them, but have never seen a guide for them, and thought I'd put one up. It's a really nice build, and all of the required equipment is pretty cheap and easy to get. Basically it revolves around equipping your wolf with a Buriza, and pumping dex. For some odd reason, a buriza is one of the fastest Fury Druid weapons there is, and if you think like a zon (dex=dmg), and maximize your damage using a merc and a Heart of Wolverine you can achieve huge damage at an insanely fast attack speed. I've built 2 or 3 of these for PVM and they're a blast to play, plus you can puzzle all the noobs when they see you carrying a crossbow around!

Yes, you can build a killer fury druid that can achieve 5k max dmg for cheap! Here's how:

Skills
    20 Werewolf
    20 Lycanthropy
    1 Feral Rage
    1 Rabies
    20 Fury
    1 Oak Sage
    20 Heart of Wolverine

83 Skill Points total. With the skill quests, you should hit this sometime in the mid 70's or so.

Mercenary
    Nightmare Offensive). Gives you a nice big dmg boost with his Might aura, which will increase as he levels up.

Stats
    STR: 90 max (you will get 20 more from Jalals to bring you to the 110 needed for Buriza). If you have str charms that you know you're going to keep, such as +shapeshift GC's with +str, you could lower this amount.
    DEX: all the rest of your stat points. You should be close to or at 200 natural dex by level 80. If you manage to get to level 99 you'd have close to 300 dex.
    VIT: 150-170
    ENG: None. You'll get a small energy boost just from leveling and from your items. With a small amount of mana leech, that should be all you need to keep your fury going.

Your Equipment
    Cathan's Seal ring (lv 11) 6% Lifesteal at level 11! This is going to be your primary source of leech.

Manald Heal ring (lv 15) 4-7 Mana leech and +20 life. Fury is not a real mana-intensive skill. This ring is primarily of use when you start to run into monsters with the "mana burn" property. You might need it early on for some of your fury prerequisites, you might not. Pop on another Cathans if you don't, they're everywhere!

Raven Frost ring (lv 45) contains the all important "cannot be frozen" property, and gives you a nice boost to dex and AR. High end ones are more expensive, but a lower dex/AR Raven should be pretty easy to obtain. Being frozen takes away your biggest advantage: killer speed

Rare Life Leech ring with resists and/or +dex. By and by, you will probably come across a better ring than Cathan's. Higher leech is nice, but you want to look out for one with nice res. +dex or other good mods are a bonus, and Dual leech is just gravy.

Amulet with +2 all skills or +3 Shapeshifting. A rare amulet with +2 druid skills and some res what you're shooting for. Additional mods like +dex or leech would be great if you can get them. Until you get that, it's relatively easy to find plain blue +2 druid skills or +3 shapeshifting amulets. You don't really need to worry about res until you get to hell.

Eye of Etlich amulet (lv 15) gives you +1 skills, 3-7 life leech, and a little cold dmg.

Crescent Moon amulet (lv 50) can have 11-15 mana leech and 3-6 life leech, plus 10% damage goes to mana (might help against mana burners).

Bonesnap (lv 26 str 69) or Steeldriver (lv 29 str 49)until you get to level 42. Either of these does massive dmg for the low level, and have ridiculously low str requirements. You should be able to kill most things up to mid-late nm or so in just one or two hits. They pop like grapes!

Waterwalk boots (lv 32 str 40) + life, missile defense, and + 15 dex make these the boots of choice for our Buriwolf.

String of Ears belt (lv 29) 15% Damage Reduction combined with your Shaftstop armor gives you 45% total. That means 45% of the Physical damage you take just vanishes. Plus it has a bit of life leech.

Alternate Belt: Razortail (lv 32) +15 dex and +10 max dmg make this a good alternative to the String of Ears, especially if you're getting some extra leech from the Venom Grips.

Shaftstop armor (lv 38 str 92) 30% Damage Reduction, highly useful for any melee char. A bit higher than the 90 str max, but all you need is +2 str charms and you're set.

Jalals Mane helm (lv 42 str , adds 20 str). The best Melee druid helm you can get. None of the new uniques come close to replacing this, and they all have much higher level requirements. Will take you from 90 to 110 str, so you can use your Buriza and Hellmouths. Jalals gives you 30% faster hit recov, +20% Attack Rating bonus (not that you really need it with all your dex), +30 resists, +2 druid skills and +2 shapeshifting skills.

Buriza-Do Kyanon (lv 42 str 110 dex 80) The key to the Buriwolf! Insanely fast attack speed and great dmg. Bonuses are cold dmg, +dex, and +defense. The dmg will go up as you level and as you add points to dex. Socketing with a Shael rune makes a noticable difference in speed. I've never tried IAS jewels though, so I am not sure if they would still hit the fury speed breakpoint or not.

Hellmouth gloves (lv 47 str 110). A little fire dmg and a nice lightshow from the Metor and Firestorm. Neither does much dmg, but looks pretty.

Alternate Gloves1
    Venom Grips (lv 29 str 20). You might want to get some of these to use until you get to a high enough lev to use the Hellmouths. Or you could just use them all the way. They've got a bit of Lifesteal, Crushing Blow, poison res, and poison dmg. Not much of anything, but a lot of everything. Why isn't this the main glove? You shouldn't really need the small amount of leech, and the other mods are pretty negligible.

Alternate Gloves2
    Goulhide gloves (lv 36 str 58) which can have 4-5 mana leech on them, +20 life, and a dmg boost vs undead.

Merc Equip
    Shaftstop for the damage reduction. You could give him something with +str or resists, but it's been my experience that mercs with a shaft stay alive longer. And your merc will gain res as he levels.

Helm such as Crown of Thieves or Stealskull that has life leech. If you already have plenty of life leech on your weapon, Rockstopper helms have 10% damage reduction and nice resistances on them.

Any decent unique polearm you can get. The Meat Scraper and Blackleech Blade have life leech, Pierre Tombale Couant and Husoldal Evo have nice dmg, while Athena's Wrath and Grim's Burning Dead are a little faster.

Strategy
    I'm not going to give you a level by level strategy, telling you when to put points in what. It's not that complicated. I'll go over a few things though.
    * Basically, make sure you have 90 str by level 42. When you add the Jalals, it will give you an additional 20 points for a total of 110. This is enough for your Buriza and Hellmouths.
    * Even better, get to 90 str by level 38 and have a charm that gives +2 str so you can use the Shaftstop.
    * Have the Cathan's early on, the leech can help you out as early as level 11.
    * Use Feral Rage as much as possible until you get Fury. After you get fury, you might want to still charge up Feral Rage, then Fury. Feral Rage also makes you run faster, so if you're cleaning out the last few monsters on your screen put it on and you can walk to the next ones a bit faster :eek:D
    * Once you hit level 30, put your next 20 points into Fury. Until you hit 30, split your points between Lycanthropy and Werewolf and get the Fury prereqs (Feral Rage and Rabies).
    * I would hold off on the Oak Sage prereq and Heart of Wolverine until you at least max fury. If you have a Steeldriver or Bonesnap early on, you don't need the extra dmg, and your first 29 or so are better spent on your shapeshifting skills.
    * What should you socket your items with? Put a Shael in the Buriza. For your Jalals and Shaftstop, I'd recommend the highest enhanced damage jewels you can find, preferably with max damage also. Don't bother with IAS jewels in your helm or armor as they do not affect your fury speed.
    What you should put in your merc's equipment depends on what weapon he's using and what you can afford. Generally, once my merc has a nice weapon, i like to try to make him as fast as possible with Shaels in the weapon and ias or ed/ias jewels in the armor/helm.
    * Try to collect resist charms as much as you can. Even with a Jalals, and res mods on rings/ammy, you're still going to have negative res going into hell. Try to make up for it in charms.
    I have -24 with no charms on my Buriwolf, but am able to get a fair ways into the positive with charms. If you can, go for +15 res all Grand Charms and +5 res all Small charms. It's tough to get an inv of these though, so just try to save SC's that have 9-11 res to a specific element.
    Blue amulets with 30+ resist all are relatively common, and if you have to sacrifice + skills to bring your resists up, do it.
    The perfect Amulet is a high res Mara's Kaledescope (lv 67), it gives you +2 skills, +5 all attributes, and +20-30 res). But they can be expensive, and this is supposed to be a cheap guide ;-p.
    * Upgrading the items using the cube upgrade formula is not really necessary, and in some cases (Buriza, Shaftstop, Bonesnap) will actually push the required Str for the item past 110.
    * Your Heart of Wolverine will die a lot, esp late nm/hell. Make sure you have it hotkeyed and recast when you get a breather. Your mana leech will help you out here. Your merc will also be vulnerable to bosses and some other monsters. Make sure you feed him potions if he's getting a bit low, and try to use rejuvenation potions on him for a faster heal.
    * Once you (and your merc) get up to the mid-late 70's you'll probably want to upgrade the merc's weapon. Things like Bonehew, Ariocs Needle, and Demon's Arch are relatively inexpensive - not as much as the gear listed above, but should be fairly affordable. Vamp Gazes with decent life leech and damage reduction are also fairly cheap and are probably the best helm for your merc. As with all your merc's gear, look for ethereal versions if you can get them.
    * Once you max out the suggested skills, there's a number of different options. I've never really found a "best" answer, but some of the things I've tried are: Cyclone Armor, more Feral Rage, Summoned Wolves or Bear. It's up to you.
    * Once you get into hell, your biggest problem is going to be mana burners. There are soooo many more of them than in 1.09, and a lot of them do not have "mana burn" listed in the properties under the monsters name. These are really tough to deal with, and the only thing I can really tell you is to try not to get surrounded by too many monsters at one time. If you're already using a Manald Heal ring, and you're not leeching your mana back fast enough, you might want to look into adding another Manald or a dual leech ring.

*IMPORTANT* Strange info: WW + Buriza + Fury = Don't need ammo. WW + Buriza + Normal Attack = need bolts on the buriza (it doesn't use them up though. strange). Anyway, if you're getting your mana drained a lot and have to use a reg attack to leech it back, put some bolts in your Buriza. I don't like to do this because sometimes I hit the weapon swap key by mistake, and it's impossible to see your weapon in wolf form. I found a way around this though, equip another Buriza in the weapon switch :-D

Ok that about wraps it up. If anyone has any comments, questions, or suggestions let me know. This is not one of the highest damage builds in the game, but like a girl I once knew, is fast, fun, and cheap! Something cool and different to do. I have never really gone much into PVP, but it would be interesting to see if you could make the Buriwolf into a good dueler...

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

ok, just a couple suggestions/questions

cannot be frozen?
    with a manald/cathans set up you are ravenless, what alternative method of cbf do you recommend?

perhaps some more equipment alternatives?
    crescent moon amulet or mana steal gloves could free up that ring slot, and dmg to mana can help with mana issues as well, back in .09 I got by with 0% mana steal with dmg to mana and jalal's +5mana/kill

I like the early equipment, you cover what will work early on in leveling and what is inexpensive, so that works well, and you go slightly into some higher end gear to consider eventually, looks good, also do you have any contingencies for physical immunes? buriza cold dmg?

3. nutrimat

Edited the main post to add your suggestions regarding Raven Frost, and listed some more amulets/gloves to get leech from. Thanks!
    I wanted to also mention Soul Drain gloves (lv 74 str 106) which can have 4-7 dual leech, but they're an elite item. I wanted to keep it to normals and exceptionals if I could.

Phys immunes are not anywhere near as common as they were in 1.09, but the druid does not have an easy answer for it (other than run screaming like a baby). The cold dmg from the buriza will help, as will a few elemental dmg charms, and Fire dmg from Grim's Burning Dead if your merc has one, but other than that I am still working on it. Barnars Star socketed with a Hel rune (lv 65 str with hel 123) might be an alternative if you can get a little extra str. It does 1-200 each fire, cold, and lightning dmg. The level is a bit higher than I'd like though.

4. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

And the answer to the physical immune problem is......Azurewrath. It does 250-500 cold damage and 250-500 magic damage and is plenty fast. Its perfect for this build because you're pumping dex and will have no problem meeting the reqs. Most 2 handed builds wouldn't have that much dex. Of course it does have some significant disadvantages such as being somewhat pricey, ladder-only, and the super high lvl req of 85.

5. nutrimat

A couple more options would be a Moonfall mace (lv 42 str 74), which does 55-115 fire damage, has a chance to cast a metor on striking, and has 60 charges of level 11 metor

Shureshrill Frost Mace (lv 39 str 61) does 63-112 cold dmg, freezes the target, and has 50 charges of level 9 Frozen Orb.

Recharging weapons can be expensive, but an Ort rune in the cube with the weapon and any chipped gem will do it.

Also wanted to give another option for resistance amulet:
    put 6 perfect gems (one of each type) in the cube with any amulet and you will get a Prismatic amulet that has 16-20 all resistance and a chance of a second mod. It's fairly easy to find blue amulets that have a higher resist all than this though.

Thanks for the feedback!

6. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

It seems like you're trying to keep things cheap so I'm not sure if it qualifies, but Dracul's Grasp can be invaluable to a melee character. When the lifetap goes off, you're pretty much invinsible. Its especially nice against non-leachables. And they have a nice +str bonus, which will better allow you to equip Baranar's which is probably the best value in anti-PI weapons. In all honesty, Sureshrill Frost and Moonfall just aren't going to cut it. They are too slow and don't have enough elemental damage. And the charges on them just won't be enough damage against Hell PI's.

7. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

a couple of quick suggestions here:

replace cathans with a ravenfrost - you really dont need any leech on a werewolf outside of feral rage. I keep feral rage on right click and fury on left click. Charge feral to max then fury. The life leech carries over to fury.

Also, for mana leeching against mana burners where you can't use fury - feral rage still works without mana, and you won't need to put bolts on the buriza as feral rage is not a normal attack.

As far as physical immunes go I haven't ever had a problem killing them with the damage from buriza + ravenfrost, even with very little other elemental dmg ( higlords wrath, tgods, small charms of shock, etc.)

Also I would like to mention that leveing up in pvm with a buriza is the preffered method for many pvp based werewolf druids, maninly because pumping the dext for damage on buriza will also alow you to get max block from storm shield for 1 hander weapons.

8. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

1 thing i noticed you missed, as buriwolves were my cup o tea in 1.09

Iron Maiden does not effect you, as the game calculates the buriza as a ranged attack. This goes for any and all bows / xbows.

Also, a pure elemental dmg xbow / bow on weapon switch may work. I always found the cold dmg from buriza / ravenfrost to be more the plenty.

g

9. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Garbad

10. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

you could put Witchwild String and it's chance to cast amp

11. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

true, but piddly dmg. Use atma's.

g

12. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

highlords for double damage

atmas isnt worth it

13. nutrimat

Cathans is more of an early-on suggestion, before you get your Feral Rage and Fury going. Once you get Bonesnap or Steeldriver, you shouldn't really need much leech since you can kill most things in norm and nm very quickly.

I don't think the Shureshrill would be a bad weapon for PI's early on. Frozen Orb is pretty powerful even at level 9. Just try to clear out the other monsters first so they don't bother you when you swap weapons. And get a few Orts. You're right though, it's not as effective in hell.

14. Cantos

Cantos The Order of Dii Guild Member

Have fun doing double damage to Physical Immunes.

PS Is the shotgun bug still there?

15. Sim.The.GoSu

Sim.The.GoSu IncGamers Member

always been my fav build, but for bears too.

16. nutrimat

shotgun bug?

17. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

i concur

---------

18. Cantos

Cantos The Order of Dii Guild Member

Shotgun Bug -

In 09 if you left a game while Shifted into Wolf or Bear when your character was using a buriza (actually this worked with any crossbow I think), the crosspieces of the weapon would not appear on your channel avatar, and you would be left with just the "barrel" of the crossbow. Hence, Shotgun Bug. Does it still happen?

19. FenrisWulf

FenrisWulf IncGamers Member

@Cantos:
    Yup. Still occurs.

20. Tardles

Tardles IncGamers Member

Perhaps I'm being naive here; I came to this forum looking for help building my first druid. The title, CHEAP FURY DRUID, immediately appealed to me. One of the very few good items I've been able to find/trade for is a Buriza, so, I figured that was even better.

However, it's clear that this build relies on finding a Jalal's Mane. I said to myself, "The guide said cheap, so I'm sure I'll be able to find one of these, right?" To my dismay, these things are trading for high-level runes, or items I can't even dream of. What do I do?

Is there some substitute that I could use to get the strength requirement? Some magic way to get a Jalal's for "cheap"? I just thought this was misleading, especially for a relatively new player such as myself. Is it just that my idea of cheap is way different than all you hardcore veterans?

Thanks.