Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Bush campaign shows true class

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DurfBarian, Mar 5, 2004.

1. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The Bush campaign shows true class

Bush in January 2003: "I have no ambition whatsoever to use [the war on terror] as a political issue."

Bush today: Airing ads filled with images of smoking 9/11 rubble and firefighters carrying coffins.

I really hope Karl Rove and the rest of the gang get called on this one. The 9/11 survivors and firefighters associations are angry as hell.

2. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

that's bad... Real bad

3. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

For a source:

Clicky

I'm with dantose, this is bad. Really blinking bad. And bad taste aswell.

Glad you posted it Durf rather than me, as I was tempted to do earlier. Maybe this will last a bit more than 20 posts.

P.S., anyone got a link to the ads. I would like to see them for myself if possible.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Small image on this page. I thought I saw a stream earlier (Real Media though, ack) so if I spot it again I'll post it.

The Republican convention will be held in New York. It's being held later in the year than any other GOP convention ever: early September. This flag-waving could get really, really ugly if the Bush team decides to make full use of that city in that time of year . . .

EDIT: If the ads show up anywhere they'll be here:
    http://www.georgewbush.com/
    But the site is getting hammered right now.

EDIT2: "roofle"
    http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i2325

5. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Tasteless and disgusting, but that's the name of the game on both sides. I hate to say it, but I bet a democrat would pull the same crap given half the chance. What's really pissing people off is that he's using the image of firefighters while playing with their union and pensions, I believe.

I hope he doesn't make a "pilgrimage" to the WTC site while there, taking a choice photo-op with head bowed and brows furrowed in sorrow. Bleh.

6. Suicidal Zebra

Thanks for the link Durf. It has all three ads on it, the first two of which are pretty innocuous, but the third I find a tad unpleasent. Interesting what $4.5mil gets you nowadays.

I can't get thespoof.com though. It is probably getting hammered right now I guess.

7. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

They are getting whipped good over this it seems. When I woke up this morning and turned on the morning news this was the lead story.

It just boggles my mind how the Bush people thought they could get away with this after two years of Bush spitting in the face of fire fighters and clearly doing just about everything wrong on september eleventh itself.

8. BenDover

BenDover IncGamers Member

Same thing here. First thing I heard when I turned the radio on.

But I agree with Anyee, a democratic president could have done the same thing. I don't think it's different. It's the name of the game, and honestly I think it's pretty sad.

9. advil

advil IncGamers Member

who's surprised... you knew this was coming way back when the repubs decided to have their convention in NY.

of course any other pres *could* have done the same thing. don't see what the relevance of that is, since we'll never know.

it is interesting that the whole story about the commercials is how tasteful/tasteless that shot was. wonder what that does to the effectiveness of the ads.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

What specifically did Bush do wrong on Sept. 11, 2001, Dross? If you're referring to the way he managed to turn world wide sympathy and pledges of help into unilateral miltary action, I'll buy that, but that came later.

Maybe you can clairify, please?

On the topic, I saw the commercial last night. It snuck up on me before I could run away (woohoo battleground state). I'm not so much against using WTC imagery, as has been said, any president would have done it.

But I am against the idea that somehow the U.S. will be better off if we have 'faith' and 'families'; there was another f-word used, but I can't remember. I don't necessarily mean the religious kind of faith, though I'm sure that was the intent of the message. I mean, c'mon! We're supposed to think things will be OK in the U.S. if we just believe? That's how you fly in Never-Never Land, not how you shape a country.

Oh well, I guess I can blow up my telly tonight.

11. advil

advil IncGamers Member

heh, welcome to Bushland.

12. Drosselmeier

"Having just been told the country was under attack the commander in chief appeared uninterested in further details. He never asked if there had been any additional threats, where the attacks were coming from, how to best protect the country from further attacks, or what the current status of NORAD or the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Nor did he call for an immediate return to Washington. Instead, in the middle of a modern-day Pearl Harbor, he simply turned back to the matter at hand; the day’s photo op. Precious minutes were ticking by, and many more lives were at risk. 'Really good readers, whew!' he told the class as the electronic flashes once again began to blink and the video cameras rolled. 'These must be sixth graders.'"- From James Bamford's "Body of Secrets"

That´s just about the biggest mistake you could make in that situation, don´t you think?

Thanks to Anthony.

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I can dig it, Dross; I remember reading that on one of the commie-liberal websites I frequent. I guess I just don't see what more anyone could have done after that third plane hit the Pentagon. Maybe his handlers kept the info from him. Dunno. I'd go after him for the way he assed things up later, not that day.

I would submit that with this ad, the Bush camp is trying to keep fear in the hearts and minds of the people, disguised as vigilance. Problem is, when we care more about a boobie on TV or who the next "Idol" is, it kinda demonstrates that we're not particularly frightened. Maybe some sort of martial law would keep us on our toes.

Oh well, can't wait to see what our flag-raising, 'call everyone a liberal' crowd thinks of this thread. More specifically, I can't wait for Rush and the Fox crew to tell them what to think :)

14. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

It's just the first salvo from the Bush 100 million dollar war chest. Next, I expect to see whacks on Kerry using some of the 6500 votes he has cast in Congress over several decades. No doubt they will be taken out of context and used to brand him as an indecisive liberal.

Welcome to American politics ... Karl Rove style

15. Drosselmeier

I found it on one of those traitor boards too mac. It´s ok for me to visit them but I´m a little worried about you.

I totally agree that what Bush has done since september eleventh is way worse than his messing up on the day, definitely for anyone outside the US. He´s using imagery from the day though, and people are supposed to think he´s this really strong and wise leader or whatever... it´s kinda funny in the light of those facts.

It doesn´t even really matter that he couldn´t have done a lot to stop any of the other attacks after he recieved the news. His response was just the wrong one, plain and simple. Who could possibly want a leader like that?

Oh yeah... I have no doubts at all that Bush was howling with joy on the inside for the first month after the attack. "Cha-ching! I is guarateedled to anuther five years!! Uhh... four years."

I hate Bush.

16. Suicidal Zebra

Say what you want about Bush, but I really don't think he is quite that callous.

I gotta say though, just because a Democrat would do the same thing does not make this line of adverts right, proper or acceptable IMO. Not in the slightest.

17. advil

advil IncGamers Member

agreed. i don't buy the assertion that any dem would've done this, either. some, of course. but not any. it's no defence for bush doing it in any case.

18. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Eh, How can president Bush campaign without mentioning the terrorist attacks when it's been by and large the single biggest focal point of his administration?

Former NYC Mayor Guiliani said, though it was a hypothetical situation, he would do the same thing.

I don't see a single thing wrong with a politician mentioning major events that happen during their administration. I saw all three ads and don't find anything repulsive or offensive with them. And no, I'm not a republican. I vote for the person who I agree with most and that happens to be Bush. I don't like Kerry's stance on marriage laws, gun laws and military.

19. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Well, he promised he wouldn't use the terrorist attacks for political gain (see Durf's quote -- I would like a link to that as well if you don't mind Durf), yet he did, in an effort to yank the heartstrings of the voters. That's what disappoints me the most; not that he used the attacks to his advantage politically, but that he said he wouldn't.

20. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

unfortunately, he won't even have to take them out of context