The Budgetdin Guide for v1.12.

gedda-d-e

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Budgetdin Guide for v1.12.

Good guide Asmo, like the idea more than anything.
I fully agree that zealots do not need ubar gear to become powerful, which is one of the reasons I love them! And, that goes for all kinds of zealots really.

However, my main problem in SP (&as well as on the realms back in the day) was after resets or start-ups when there is no f:ing way to find that lovely HoZ. I think the main issue with a zealots gear is trying to balance out the awsomeness of that shield. The attributes, blocking, resists etc are what I keep having an issue replacing when I build zealots w/o the good gear. I know it might be slightly OT, as you have clearly stated that all this gear can be traded for through gems/charms/runes etc - BUT - the issue still remains for a lot of players.

Like many others have mentioned, given that you can not get Sazbis (which by the way is a very neat choice - have tried it myself but had to give it up due to the awful looking helmet) there are quite a few other alternatives in most items-slots which I think are worth a mention.

Furthermore, as feedback, I would like to see a section(s) more focused on what you need for a zealot in terms of attributes (e.g. OW/DS/CB, ias, leech etc.), I think that would help clarify a lot of item choices and help out a great deal in building a low budget pally.

Keep up the good work, it was a very enjoyable read!

/gedda

Tubba Blubba

Diabloii.Net Member

Hm... I'd like to see a Zealot doing something fun with a Rune Master. Anyone got ideas? Vermilions of Carnage (+22-30 damage), perhaps?

Outside the Whale

Diabloii.Net Member

I am a total Diablo 2 noob and I massively enjoy this build.

Started it this morning and have just killed Diablo normal (for the first time I might add), thanks in part to my ridiculous luck getting a Civerb's Cudgel somewhere in act 3.

This character just never seems to die as long as you keep your holy shield up and your belt full. Except those BLOODY OKs!!!

Thank you asmo!

The only problem with this build is, that the paladin swings is weapon so fast all the time he keeps breaking it :(

Last edited:

Asmodeous

Diabloii.Net Member

Ok, thanks for the feed back everybody.

Having thought about the guide overall and reading everybodies comments, posting up a guide for a "budget" paladin will be far too massive to make everybody happy and keep it a reasonable size. There is simply no way to cover every aspect of a budget paladin into a single guide and keep it under 10,000 letters.

The basic problem is the concept of what is cheap and expensive gear? Value's of items will change over time depending on supply/demand and the whole concept I was working on was about trading and using items that nobody normally wants (except as grailers) that are useful and offer excellent attributes.

Clearly that was a flawed concept.

I think this guide will be better off as a Sazabidin guide. That was my initial plan and I should have stuck by it. I may re write the guide as that and hopefully, that may work better.

Johnnymc

Diabloii.Net Member

That's a shame, asmo! 99% of the work is already done. I'll make this one last post to try to persuade you otherwise. I love the changes you have made thus far. Here's a sample of what I think would be totally badass:

From budget to uber! These items are alternatives to the 3 sazabi items. Even the cheapest combination is viable, although you need to make sure you have enough ias, leech, etc. with any particular combination:

Weapon:
Grief phase blade/berzerker axe ($$$$$)
etc.
Oath($$$)
etc.
Lightsaber ($$)

Armor:
Fortitude ($$$$$)
CoH($$$$$)
etc.
Duriel's Shell ($)

Helm:
Andy's ($$$)
etc.

where:
$$$$$> Ohm
$$$$> Ist
$$$>Um

etc. The list doesn't have to include everything, but there are a lot of popular choices that could go here. One real value would be to provide an alternative to 'self-found' players but the $ signs would help people who have a reason not to aim for sazabi set (ie: already owning fortitude).

You've already put in a ridiculous amount of work on this project, and I am very, very grateful! If you do decide to make these changes, and you need more posting space, I'm sure the first poster would be willing to paste in your message and attribute it to you.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

A bit off topic perhaps, but I'm wondering which is the stronger zealadin:

Fanatic zealot vs Conviction zealot
You've got the wrong Asmo thread. :p He's got one around here somewhere that tackles this very comparison in fairly nice detail (Justiciar, iirc). I'll see if I can track it down.

Edit - my mistake - it's a comparison on Fanaticism & Conviction on an Avenger build (still a cool idea though, so if you maybe feel like reading: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720816).

There's probably a zealot-aura comparison thread or three around here somewhere though. You could probably track one down, or post a new thread about it if necessary - it would be an interesting topic, but this thread isn't exactly the best place to tackle it.

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

A bit off topic perhaps, but I'm wondering which is the stronger zealadin:

Fanatic zealot vs Conviction zealot

Maybe its not a very good question but I'd rather not build 2 zealer, I'm not particularly fond of paladins but I would enjoy a melee char other than my kicker.
I don't see why you can't have a 2-in-1 (if you keep gear changes into account).

20 Zeal
20 Fana
20 Sacrifice
20 Conviction
rest Holy Shield.

o1d_dude

Diabloii.Net Member

I am a total Diablo 2 noob and I massively enjoy this build.

Started it this morning and have just killed Diablo normal (for the first time I might add), thanks in part to my ridiculous luck getting a Civerb's Cudgel somewhere in act 3.

This character just never seems to die as long as you keep your holy shield up and your belt full. Except those BLOODY OKs!!!

Thank you asmo!

The only problem with this build is, that the paladin swings is weapon so fast all the time he keeps breaking it :(
If Asmo writes up a build, you can bet that it will be a build worth playing.

I've been "validating" his builds for years! LOL!

PS. Poops is no slouch either when it comes to builds.

Oathed

Diabloii.Net Member
One thing missing in the first post: what to socket weapons with? I'm just starting NM and wondering what to do with my first ever Hand of Blessed Light? Socket in a PSkull, or Shael, or an Ort? Should I care about IAS or not - and is there a reason other than Attack Rating that very fast Zeal seems to wiff a lot more than other classes' attacks?

necrolemming

Diabloii.Net Member
A lot of things have changed that make this guide a little less relevant since it was written. Given that the superlative endgame melee weapon is accessible to anyone playing untwinked, I wouldn't spend a socket quest on a stopgap weapon.

Southpaw8668

Diabloii.Net Member
@Oathed - I’m playing a Tesladin that started as a Ranger, but I got bored with shooting everything with a bow, so I reset him. I did notice way more whiffed swings without the Blessed Aim Mercenary, so I switched back and connecting and killing much faster once again. I’m currently maxing Sacrifice to further increase my AR and maybe even Zeal lastly, but I will probably have to swap out jewelry for an AR boosting pair like Angelics once I get into Hell. I’m guessing AR wouldn’t be quite as much a problem with Fanatacism, but giving your gear set up you might still need to add to it with the Mercenary or jewelry.