Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Bowler

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Lostprophet, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

The Bowler

Oh God this should be fun.

My favorite Druid skill has always been Molten Boulder. Always, always, always (Fissure is a close second, but that's beside the point). Watching that thing rumble (slowly) across the screen while enemies run into in and then have it explode is fantastic, as is pinning some uber-unique monster against a wall. But alas, I always let this hilariously fun skill fall by the wayside.

No more! The plan for this guy is to max Molten Boulder and it's synergies (Firestorm and Volcano), along with some basic survival tools (Oak Sage, Raven/Dire Wolf, maybe Cyclone Armor). He wouldn't need all that much mana, nothing that could't be gained by a few points here and there and some mana charms/increase max mana by items (MB only costs 19 mana at it's highest level), nor woyld he need a ton of strength or dex (ah, the advantage of spellcasters). Plus, he would totally own in the Arcane Sanctuary and the Maggot Lair (prolly the Nihilithak Halls, too, but I digress).

The point is, wow is this fun. Plus he has an awesome subclass name. Drop equipment suggestions, comments, etc.; here.

Peace.

2. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

i dont know if he will own in either of them. the maggot lair is full of sand maggots which dont knockback and cause mb to prematurely explode. :lol: I probably would use firestorm for them since central snake goes straight and mb for the scarbs. all those stairs in the arcane sanctuary can be a real problem unless u retreat to a corridoor and in hell the blood clan are fire imm. MB is a great skill though if your counting on your minons killing because you can really keep packs small. good luck

3. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

*sees thread title*

JOY! :jig:

This is what I was writing a guide for ;) It does rock (literally :yep: ) and it does work... but (and this is the only but) the spell that really complements MB the best is Fissure :(

and I'm out of smilies already... o_O

Ok, it's great fun... and I'm glad someone else is trying it too. MB will see you through alot of the game, but its gonna be important to know when and how to use FS and Volc. MB doesn't KB everything, and most of the rest will be killed with FS, unless FI in which case you have to make best use of Volc. OS is very useful, but needs to be at a decent level to be of any use in Hell (it does ok in NM due to being PI)

I don't know how well ravens would work with the bowler, but I think they could go well with it. With Ideal gear you shouldn't need more than a few points in them anyway (gogo Ravenlore)

NOTE: MB KBs away from the centre of your screen, regardless of the direction of travel of the MB itself.

Which is a contributing factor to why I recomend max block for a fire druid (as much as you are a bowler, you will need to use the other spells too) So apart from a good fast blocking shield, go for caster gear with Ravelore if possible. Mana shouldn't be a major concern... Get it from gear, not stats. And with max block you are gonna need as many points spare for vit as possible...

I really advise you to max out fissure, though you can leave it until after your done maxing OS, which will see you at a pretty high level anyway.

ok, gtg for now. BBL

And have fun!

4. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

I would recommend a firebear, and use molten bolder in low - level party play - or just for fun (try dueling with it).

I have a fire-bear in the works, and I think I would like to max MB next just for kicks or for when I rush someone. just thinking about it makes me laugh :lol:

5. Bob_TheMadCow

Firestorm :thumbsup:

MB owns everything else in there so much you wouldn#'t beleive.

AS is tougher, cause things can go outside the "walls" and those goats are FI in hell

in Nilathaks's hall its not so good cause they are too wide, but fissure fits perfectly ;)

You don't need minnions, just tactics ;)

6. GIR

GIR Banned

I always thought Moulten Boulder was a nifty skill. I never got around to using it much though. Let us know how it works out.

Enjoy.

7. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

The question is, can I get enough synergy points from my other skills to only put 1 in Fissure? :scratch:

Heh.

I forgot to mention that I love Raven. Love love love it. When I first played a single player Druid, I maxed that bad boy so fast like you wouldn't believe. Trust me, the damage adds up, and besides, if the eneies are blind how they gonna avoid my fiery bowling balls of doom??

:flip:

Wow I'm hyper.

Imma start this guy up a'soon as I get back from my piano lesson (grrr...)... my War Cry barb is intensely boring at his current level (Cast Shout. Walk up to enemy. Cast Battle Cry. Swing for measly damage. Watch merc kill. Rinse. Repeat. Fall asleep...)

Peace.

8. Bob_TheMadCow

here's my Fire druid: pic

He's not great, only +2 all skills, +1 ele, +1 fire (took me ages to get those damned magefists in SP, then I got 2 in a week :rant: )

And yes thats in hell difficulty, had to make a few sacrifuces for resists :/

Hopefully if you're gonna do this on the realms you'll be able to pick up better gear, I think you may need it. Although it is fun being able to go and get the staff from the maggot lair on your own even in a 8player game.

You can get by with 1pt fissure, but life is easier with maxed fissure. I guess if you had maxed ravens then you would have less need of fissure...

EDIT: fixed pic...

9. ChimpFarmer

ChimpFarmer IncGamers Member

Moulten Boulder is a strong skill... to an extent.

I'm writing a guide for a fire druid, and one of my tips in there is to use moulten boulder until you get a bigger skill, mainly because the more powerful fire skills (volcano and Armageddon) have it as a synergy, and so you can pump the skill almost to lvl 20 before you get either, and when you do, it will still be stronger.

The only problem is that it's hard to aim at packs of enemies and some enemies cause it to detonate (Yetis, Maggots, etc.) I still say though that it can be a powerful ability when used in the right situation. I remember playing back and completely mowing over unique monsters with a single boulder. It's damage is great for early on, without it's synergies, and still decent with it for later difficulties. The real only drawback is the detonation problem and immunes, that and the fact that it is soooooo slow.

Nonetheless, I have kindly dubbed it the Ball of Ownage, or Boo for short.

10. Bob_TheMadCow

Glad you like it, cause it IS powerful, and it does have situations where it can't be used.

If you check out the Elemental Druid guide that I think is still hanging around here somewhereI made a list of monster types that don't get KB'd. You get to know which they are pretty quickly, and get into the habit of knowing when, where and how to use MB to it's best effect.

I guess I'm the only guy who still deosn't like Armageddon? It really doesn't go well with MB. Though I was gonna try a FS/Geddon elementalist at one point. Unfortunately I've kinda gone off D2 for now, so it never got done.

I got to about act4 using just MB (and a bit of FS) in SP, players 8, no problem.

11. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

Yes.

It is time I made him.

The MBAB. RULER OF THE DRUID WORLD.

yes molten boulder and arctic blast.

there is no turning back now.

thank you.

12. jumbo_SHRIMP

jumbo_SHRIMP IncGamers Member

what about mb with only firestorm synergy, then maxing tornado hurricane and cyclone armor?

phelix

edit(so you have a lil cold damage to slow fellas down, then can use higher phys damage of tornado instead of the phys of mb, and you can spam them while the boulder is bouncing along)

13. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

such success would be given my highest regards.

pull off a triple-attack with unique effectiveness, you are a great d2'er!
    (druid wise, non shifted)

14. Bob_TheMadCow

If you can go without OS, then I guess it could work :)

15. jumbo_SHRIMP

jumbo_SHRIMP IncGamers Member

meh, maybe 5ish points in oak, +skills will work well enuff

phelix

16. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

bah oak sage is dead sage with bowling. its a great minion and buddy, but theres little for this build to distract others from killing it. 1.09 sage was tougher, very annoying what they did to him.

mines a him. my barb is a girl

17. Bob_TheMadCow

I find OS to be very helpful, he just needs proper skill point investment in him to keep him alive. Paying attention to things is an important part of being a bowler, so you should be able to kep your OS alive 90% of the time.

Although I guess it is handy to not have an distractions for the monsters so they come straight at you. Which is good because of MB's KB and it's speed.

And, of course, your merc should be behind you chilling monsters anyway, so he won't be a distraction ;)

18. prion

prion IncGamers Member

no!, Salo, stop this madness
    I don't think they will work well together tactically
    and AB damage will be...unspectacular
    and both skills take 60 points fully synergized.

19. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

lol yes it is madness!

hey, youre bowling, why not use another skill no one uses!

well consider this gear:
    Harlequin's - 2
    Arachnid - 1
    1 Bul's - 1
    1 Soj - 1
    Hoto - 3
    Wartrav - 0
    Magefist - *
    Mara's - 2
    Enigma - 2
    SS - 0
    -----------
    +12 all skills. rather nice, with good mf. yes i will mf with him :D
    +8 from ele gc's
    +1 on bowling ball
    +1 all from Annihilus

bunch of old 5% res 7% mfsc - yes all legit ;)

max MB
    max FS
    max Volcano
    Gives MB ='s 42 MB

max AB
    13-14 Cyclone armour
    makes AB do 1100 damage per second. now this with phys damage should kill a fire immune rather fast.

remember, a hihg level AB could hurt things back in 109 in hell, so now it has syn boost plus 2-3 pts of +skills that it never had before.

I would guess i would use SS and not bother with getting blocking all that high, maybe around 40-50% max. (interupting AB or bowling is bad, so is trying to run around while bowling and getting locked.

figure, 77 bas str, 100 base dex, gear makes it +17 dex, rest in vit, no energy as shako gives a lot of mana with an soj and sash on. I could make a blocking amulet if i score a +2 druid on it or +2 elemental. hard to make them though. I have a +1 with 8 blocking and res all 10 with 20 energy and some other stats, nice for pvp but not enough to make my guy pristine.

no OS. If i got he guts to run him to **+, then i would sink 4-5 into OS for a 20 os around 89.

he just looks rather weak nowadays :(

20. prion

prion IncGamers Member

/resurects thread

How are you doing with this build Salo?

I saw a post recently, some guy said there was a bug in skills.txt, such that AB would only do 28% of listed damage :eek:

just wondering if this seems to match your experience.