Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Bourne Identity/Supremacy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dondrei, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

The Bourne Identity/Supremacy

Spoiler alert, obviously.

Okay, I just saw the Bourne Supremacy last night (I watched the Bourne Identity a few months ago). I still have kind of mixed feelings about both movies, but I think the second one was a bit better.

The thing is, with the Bourne Identity I was totally with the movie right up until the end, and then all of a sudden it was over and I thought, "what the hell? That's it?". It was very engaging and everything but ultimately unsatisfying. Once it was over I realized that it actually had a very, very simple plot with no real twists or anything.

Supremacy was kind of the same. Despite being wary because of my mixed experience of the first one I was drawn in, but near the end I thought back on it and realized that once again it was pretty much the oldest script in the book. On the other hand, I thought the ending was somewhat more satisfying than it was the first time around.

Another good thing was that Brian Cox had a much bigger role this time. He's great. I also liked his Hannibal Lecter back in Manhunter.

2. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

I kind of liked it but the camera work was annoying, I know it was on purpose but it didnt work if you ask me. The fighting was kind of cheesy as well it looked like he was using escrima and that ok for a while but when he busts out the thai clinch it was just too much.

3. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

Where's Carlos the Jackal!?

Read the books if you don't get it.

4. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

I have heard that the Supremacy had nothing to do with the book, and that the plot was just made up. Oh well, still a great movie. Especially the part with the sniper rifle on the roof.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's what I read on wiki. And yeah, I liked that scene too.

P.S. Nice postcount.

6. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

If i had to guess, about 98% of the Supremacy book was not in the movie, and whatever was, was edited to fit the new plot. so I'm interested on how they'll do Ultimatum, since they took the series into a new direction.

7. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

I was about to say something about it don, thanks for noticing! :thumbsup:

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

But by mentioning it, you've pleased Heisenberg and destroyed it.

9. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

I thought the first two movies were pretty solid and, more importantly, had a much more believable secret agent protagonist than most of the big budget "secret agent" films of today (MI:II/III, more recent Bond flicks, even Mr. and Mrs. Smith although that was kind of a "fun" movie so I'll let it slide).

I just really like the way Damon portrayed Bourne's character in addition to the solid cast. Even though there weren't any real plot twists I thought both movies were engaging as an action flick and was a good watch. I'm looking forward to the next one.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

Supremacy's car chase maybe the best ever put to film. Reason enough to watch it.

11. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

The movies sucked big time, a Ludlum book made into a film will always be dissapointing.

Maybe if you didnt read the book.

12. skihard

skihard Banned

I didn't read the books Ham but that is the same way I feel about Tom Clancy. The only one of the movies that came close to doing justice to the book was Hunt for Red October - that was very close to being better than the book, the book however was very thin compared to most of his books so that could be why.

Oh I did like the Bourne movies but like Donny the ended of the first left me wanting (and no not wanting Matt)

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I agree, Matt Damon is very good in this role (and most roles to be honest, he was chilling in that bizarre film, the Talented Mr Ripley). I don't think they could've found anyone else who could pull it off so well.

Actually, I found my mind wandering in the car chase. I think it might've been the way it was shot. It picked up again near the end though, as Matt Damon's car got more and more smashed to bits. I started thinking "how is this damn thing still moving? If this was Grand Theft Auto that thing would've exploded about five minutes ago...".

14. skihard

skihard Banned

I'm waiting for the new Damon movie with, Jack Nickols and anthoer big actor, it looks like it will be good i'll see if i can find a trailer link

Found it, here is the trailer link

This movie also looks like it will be good

15. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

I was thinking the same thing about his car during the car chase. I thought it was still an amazing car chase scene though...now I really want to watch the movie. Damn all this studying I have to do...

16. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

That would be "The Departed." I actually just watched that today, and I must say it was a fantastic movie. I don't get pleased too often (which means little or nothing to you I'm sure), but this movie was a solid 8.5 or 9/10.

Jack Nicholson, Leonardo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, etc. Besides being a huge sausagefest, all those big name actors in one mafia movie equals a sure hit. The acting by Damon and Dicaprio was very well done. And Nicholson was the best person possible for his part. If you are a fan of any of these actors or enjoy mafia movies I strongly recommend watching it.

17. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

That's because unlike movies, video games aren't real life.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

At least video games have physics engines...

19. Ikeren

Ikeren IncGamers Member

I found both movies to be mediocre and a waste of time, but not nearly as much as the first book (150 pages into book two I noticed the books really sucked, and it felt like I was reading the same crappy lines over and over again, and just stopped reading them. That is like the 4th book ever I wanted to stop reading - Dicken's Great Expectations being another example). So, you know it has to be truly bad.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Maybe I'll pick up the book for comparison purposes. I usually don't read stuff in this genre though.