Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The "best" starting character?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Drag0n, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Drag0n

Drag0n IncGamers Member

The "best" starting character?

Hello
    I played D2 quite actively at the mid of the year 2003, but then I just got bored and didn't touch it until today. Of course all my accounts have probaply expired so now I am wondering what would be the best character to start with when starting completely clean?
    I guess I should start with some character able to do mf runs to get some decent items, but I would like to be able to do those runs without help from other players characters.
    Than you for any help.

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I'd pick sorceress for her ability to teleport (without enigma). A decent meteorb sorc can easily run mephisto, which is where all your best starting items will come from.

3. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

You should go meteorb sorc, that way you can deal with cold and fire immunes. Single element sorcs aren't exactly the best for doing runs everywhere, you end up letting merc kill a lot and it takes too long. Another suggestion is a hammerdin, next to nothing is immune to them except bears in a3.

4. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

sorc have a hard time doing the quests in the beginnning, get some hlp from other ppl when doing tat, but once u get orb or ur best skill, it'll be easy.
    blizz is very popular fer MF only they do mass dam on the bosses and is quick.

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

in my experience (starting fresh in .09, .09 hc, .10 beta, and .10 ladder,) barbs are the best because:

1. skills make up for lackluster eq.
    2. most flexibility in skill points..if you put 20 pts in the wrong place, it won't destroy the build.
    3. battle orders increases survivability.
    4. as damage is mostly weapon based, levels 1-30 are relatively painless even without the "good" skills.
    5. easiest to collect eq to start another character.

other chars i've tried from scratch:
    amazon: no good bows, difficult to make one from scratch. jab can cover the lowest levels, but even in late a1, it's difficult to get by.

necro: skeletons got a big boost, but killing power is extremely slow until mana pool/eq becomes good enough to support corpse explosion. boss killing is pathetic until level 30.

sorc: no good spells until 18, and now with synergies, you can't put a few points into one of the low level spells to help you out.

6. illa

illa IncGamers Member

The point of making a first character is gathering some gear and being able to kill, which a barb can't do without godly gear and even then not very well.

I'd suggest a sorc simply for finding items and not depending on items but skills to start with...

7. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I'm also going to have to disagree with Superhal. Barbs and melee chars in general are some of the more challenging builds in 1.10 even with pretty good equipment. I can't even image a barb trying to get through A1 Hell with only items that he's found.

If you're just starting out and are looking to build a good stash of solid items to equip other chars, you're probably going to want to run NM meph and then Hell Meph. I don't recommend the Pit since that is a low yield/high potential MF area. To do this with any sort of efficiency, you'll need a sorc to teleport through Durance. I'd recommend a pure Frozen Orb or Blizzard sorc. This will easily carry you through NM , but you'll have to party to get up to A3 in Hell. I recommend the pure cold sorc instead of a dual element sorc because you'll need to be able to kill Meph as quickly as possible. He's no longer a push-over and I died to him quite frequently before I got a real good setup with Tals Armor and Amulet. If you're just using P-Topaz armor he's going to be doing some major damage to you. Start with NM Meph and get some good midlevel items such as Skullders and Oculus, then move on to Hell Meph.

8. Superhal

well, i'm speaking from experience. my barbs found sufficient eq to support other chars.

my .10 ww barb finished with a rhyme shield, smoke armor, a crescent moon legend sword, crafted blood ammy, crafted blood gloves, guillames face, gore riders, manald heal, and a wisp projector he found, except for the projector, none of it godly by any stretch of the imagination. no partying either.

my beta .10 frenzy barb finished with a black tyrant club and even worse eq.

other people have finished as well with even crappier builds (pure FA zon with just runes socketted, for example.)

if there's a will, there's a way (along with some imagination.)

9. Drag0n

Drag0n IncGamers Member

Thank you everyone for replying. It seems the sorceress is the way to go. I think I'll start with a meteorb sorc and if that doesn't seem to be able to do well I'll try out that pure cold sorc adamfgt78 suggested.

10. Superhal

and when those sputter out, how about a barb? :)

11. egervari

egervari IncGamers Member

Don't go meteor/orb. If you want to do something right the first time, just go pure blizzard. At least that way it'll be easy to mf now, and easy to do it when you have 4 accounts full of stuff - you use the same character instead of wasting your time making sorc after sorc.

12. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

i agree that a sorceress is the best way to start your game. blizz works great and can handle many lvl 85 areas for some good drops, along with hell meph, and you don't have to have hgih lvl items to kill him quick. your cold mastery will make meph's hp go down in ~20secs without using static.

13. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Superhal,

Actually I do describe gore riders as godly for a barb, wish I could find one.
    I believe the only limiting factor for starting a barb is weapon.
    Crescent moon legend sword fits the need. Only problem is how lucky do you have to be to find an Um ? You might get it with Hellforge quest NM, but if you don't what is another cheap alternative ? I think you were just lucky. Barb is one of the most item dependent builds.

Meteorb, skellymancer, or hammerdin would be my first choice.