Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

the *BEST* gear for FO/CL sorc...imputs plz

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by xlodtraderx, Feb 11, 2004.

1. xlodtraderx

xlodtraderx IncGamers Member

the *BEST* gear for FO/CL sorc...imputs plz

I know alot of you are going to say, it depends on ur personal tastes or its no fun to get spoonfed...w/e. I wanna know the *best* equiptment for FO/CL sorc (not including charms). I need to know this cuz right now i gotta meteorb sorc im pretty satisfied with (thnx alot for the tips yes that HF merc helps ALOT). And im not sure if i wanna take the time to make this sorc build if the best equiptment is waaay to much for me to afford right now (meaning items that cost 11 runes each and beyond cuz i got 7 chars full of highly expensive equipt). All help would be appreciated

2. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

Best?
    4 item tal rasha + griffons eye + standard uber sorc gear, all socketed with perfect lightning facets
    Alternative best:
    standard sorc +skill gear all socketed with perfect lightning facets (slightly more damage against non-resistant mobs and with frozen orb, far less damage against high resist mobs with lightning)

Almost best?
    5 item tal rasha set (set bonus and bonus to cold damage in place of reducing enemy lightning resist), bonus of working well with any sorc build.

3. xlodtraderx

by usual sorc gear do u mean...
    shako
    enigma
    storm
    arcnids
    2 sojs
    some boots (i duno which ones are best)
    magefists/frosties
    occulus / eshutas
    maras

all socketed with 5/5 light faucets?

Also....there is the big problem of hitting that 105% fcr...i can see no alternative excpet to sacrafice a peice or 2 of my gear (i.e, no sojs, fcr rings, or no storm lidless or no occy/ echutas and go wit wiz)

IM ON NL BTW

4. Verocity

Verocity IncGamers Member

Enigma is a waste for a sorc. Put that on char that does not have the teleport skill. Do you want MF gear or killing gear or the best combination of the two? Here are some suggestions:

Head:
    Shako - Best MF piece. Also good for killing power but if you're on ladder, a Griffon's Eye is the best here.

Ammy:
    Tal's, rare/magical +3 light skills, near perfect Mara's - All excellent choices. Tals would be best suited if you are using other pieces of the set. Mara's is nice for any build but mostly if you need resists. The rare ammy would be ideal since you can get + to skill, resist, and MF all at once.

Rings:
    SOJs for killing power and near perfect nagel's for MF.

Weapon:
    Occy, Eschutas, dual ist'd Ali baba - Occy is best combo - better when socketed with an ist, +3 skills Eschutas for kill power and Ali for pure MF.

Shield:
    4 ist Monarch, SS, upgraded visceraunt - ist'd monarch is the best MF and the Visc is good for killing with +1 skills. Whatever you need for max block.

Armor:
    Vipermagi, Skulder's Ire, Tals, Chains of Honor - Viper is an excellent cross between MF and kill power - just socket it with a Ptopaz. Skulder's is the best MF armor. Socket it with a Ptopaz. At level 91, it gives my sorc 113% + 24% and +1 to skills. Tal's is good if combined with 2 other pieces. Chains is great for killing.

Belt:
    Upgraded goldwrap, tals, Tgods, Arachnid, etc - Lots to choose from for kill power. Again, Tals if you have other pieces on. Goldwrap gives the most MF and when upgraded, will hold 4 rows of potions.

Boots:
    War Travs - Best of both worlds IMHO. Possible 50%MF.

Gloves:
    Chance guards, magefists, rares - Chance guards can give up to 40%MF. Rare or magefists to taste.

Tal's set is nice for a combo MF and kill power sorc. However, the unique/rare setups are better if you want a pure MF or pure killing machine CL/FO sorc.

I MF with:
    shako(ptopaz)
    30% maras
    occy
    Visceraunt(pdiamond)
    28% nagels
    21%MF, 11res all ring
    Skulder's(ptopaz)
    upped goldwrap
    Changuards
    war travs

I keep wiz spike+lidless on switch for 70%FCR to Meph. This set up gives me bout 60% res all and plenty of killing power for meph, pit runs, and anything else in hell.

For killing I use CoH, 2xSOJs, rare gloves, and Tgods.

5. xlodtraderx

what is a griffins eye....i cant find it in arreat summet OR dii.net...

6. VaderJM

VaderJM IncGamers Member

Quick question, why would MF factor into the "best" gear at all?

I mean, if the point of MF is to get enough items to trade or find your perfect equip, then MF becomes somewhat pointless if you have everything you could want on a character.

7. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

But it takes quite some time to get to the point where trading is pointless :p
    When you have reached that you might realize it. But you will need som MF to get that ubergear, unless you have friends who give you stuff. So until you reach that point, its certainly not pointless :p

Thats like saying, pursueing a goal to get somewhere is pointless, since you when you are there you will not need anything anymore that you aquired to get there. But thats the whole point. You have done this and that and then you can move on.

8. VaderJM

VaderJM IncGamers Member

Huh? That's a bit confusing. The best gear wouldn't need MF because it's the best, the point where MF doesn't matter because you have no want for anything. The gear you're talking about sounds like the best gear to help you get the best gear, if that makes any sense hehe.

9. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

the best killing gear for a cl / fo sorc would probably be

Shako : um or 5/5 lightning death facet ( easier to trigger ^^)
    Chains : just good for any char get this in an archon or lighter
    rings : sojs, keep your main energy lower and raise that damn vita / block
    boots : sillkweaves / ethereal sandstorms if you dont need mana ( hit recovery is important !!)
    belt : Arachnids mesh ( if your on ladder west i can sell you one for those 11 runes :lol:)
    gloves : magefists / frosties / chance ( i like faster cast more than mana)
    amulets : maras, + 3 light / cold skills with life( or resists or faster cast)
    charms : dur!

10. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

My opinion on best gear w/o MF:

Helm: Lightning facet Shako or Lightning facet Griffons Eye
    Armor: Chains of Honor, Umed Vipermagi, Enigma
    Amulet: +3 Lightning, Tals or Mara's
    Weapon: Lightning facet Occulus or Lightning facet perfect Eschuta's
    Shield: Max Block: Whistans, Gerke's Pavise, Uped/Eld Visceratuant, Umed Ss / Non Max Block: Lidless Wall, Pdiamonded/Umed Moser's
    Rings: SOJ, Ravenfrost, rare FCR/Resists
    Gloves: Magefist, Frostburns
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Boots: Sandstorm Trek, Silkweave,

My dream setup would be:

Helm: Lightning Facet Griffon's Eye
    Armor: CoH
    Amulet: +3 Lighting/2nd mod
    Weapon: Lightning Facet Occulus
    Shield: Umed Ss
    Rings: SOJ/Ravenfrost
    Gloves: Frostburns
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Inventory: 5x Lighting skill dual mod with +life or FHR GC / 2x Cold skill dual mod with +life or FHR GC / Resist SCs

+skills - +16 Lighting/+9 Cold
    FCR - 75%
    +resists - 107% all plus separately FR 0%/LR 45%/CR 60% (not counting charms) 20% Cold Absorb
    +life - +40 the rest depends on charms
    +mana - +75%
    DR - 43%
    FHR - depends on charms
    -enemy resists - -30% to enemy Lighting resistance

Bonus mods: Occulus +5 mana after each kill, Silkweave +5 mana after each kill Ravenfrost Cannot be Frozen, +20 Dex CoH +20 STR

Stats for this

STR 130
    DEX 160
    VIT everything else
    ENE 50-75

Keep in mind this is just my wishlist. I have no idea of the complications of item reqs or such as I haven't tried this setup.

11. xlodtraderx

wow...those items are pretty common, i think i can get everything there...just one question...WHAT IS GRIFFINS EYE???!!!!!!!

12. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/ucirclets.shtml

Here ya go. It's pretty rare. It's a TC87 item so only places like the Pit and Pindle can drop it with any decent frequency.

13. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

Griffons Eye is a unique diadam ladder only. Perfect is:
    +1 skill
    25 FCR
    -20% enemy lightning resist
    +15% lightning damage (same as +1.25 lightning mastery)
    some lightning resist

Nothing else in the game helps lightning damage as much as a griffons eye compared to its closest competitor. Its the highest FCR on a helm, only reduction of lightning resist and only 1 less skill compared to a shako (hey face it, life and mana dont help you kill faster). Against mephisto and other high end mobs, a perfect griffons eye socketed with a lightning facet doubles your damage.

Now to support my other accusations:
    4 item tals: has the -15% lightning resist and good resists. Also 50%FCR which means you need 30%more FCR if you are using griffons eye (magefist + fcr ring) and want to hit 105FCR breakpoint
    5 item tals: Can use magefist + 2sojs and still hit 63fcr. has +cold damage and -lightning resist on orb and full set bonuses
    Full +skill gear: duh, +skills will increase damage. Have to get enough FCR/resists/etc from somewhere though of course. There are a bunch of different options here, no point in listing them.

My main point is that items that increase cold damage by a percentage or decrease enemy lightning resists by a percentage are best for increasing damage. As you are putting more skill points into the lightning tree, and it will clear rooms faster, reducing enemy lightning resist is key. Its like a version of cold mastery that works for your lightning spells. Its extremely good. At the worst case it increases your lightning damage by the same percent that it decreases lightning resist. Best case is against diablo clone where each 5% reduction in enemy lightning resist doubles your damage. (-25% = 6x more damage than -0% since dc has 95% resists)

Its also worth noting that you can go crazy with -% enemy lightning resist and get even higher lightning damage numbers with items such as 4 socket shield w/ 4 lightning facets (-20%/+20%), 4 socket armor with 4 lightning facets (-20%/+20%), crescent moon rune word (-35%/0%) and griffons eye w lightning facet (-25%/+20%) for a total of -100% enemy lightning resist and +60% lightning damage, using other slots for +skills and fcr (such as 10 lightning gcs, 1 ani charm, 2 sojs, 1 arach belt, +3 lightning amulet, magefist) which would give: +17 lightning +3 cold, 75 fcr -100% enemy lightning +60% lightning damage) for the following damages (with 40 in synergies):

vs. Mephisto (-25% enemy resist)
    Lightning Damage - average 10853 *1.25 = 13566.2
    CL Damage - average 4481 *1.25 = 5602.2
    Vs 0 resist mob (-100% enemy resist)
    Lightning Damage - average 10853 *2= 21706
    CL Damage - average 4481 *2 = 8963.6

For comparison, a pure lightning sorc (such as myself) with 60 in synergies:
    vs. Mephisto (-25% enemy resist)
    Lightning Damage - average 14987*1.25 = 18734.3
    CL Damage - average 5861 *1.25 = 7326
    Vs 0 resist mob (-100% enemy resist)
    Lightning Damage - average 14987*2= 29974.9
    CL Damage - average 5861 *2 = 11721.6

PS. Im not sure what the synergy level gets up to with a typical CL/FO but I do know for pure L you can max it out to 60.

14. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

*Copied from one of my other posts. This is my MFing sorc*

Level 91 CL/ORB sorc:
    Over 2300 life, 65ish% block, about 70 resist all in hell mode, but only 700 mana (it's around 850 now)

SKILLS:

Max Chain Lightning
    Max Lightning
    Max Lightning Mastery
    Max Frozen Orb
    20 in Cold mastery after +skill stuff
    And skills into other stuff (forgot)

GEAR:
    Ptopazed Shako
    ISTed Near perfect Ethereal Skullders (off by just a few percent)
    ISTed Oculus
    Stormshield: -15% requirements with 15% all resist jewel
    Perfect BO Call to Arms with Lidless for one more skill
    Goldwrap: Gonna get upgraded one for more belt slots/Sometimes I use Arachnid's Mesh
    2 SOJ
    Perfect MF Chance Guards
    Perfect MF% War Travellers
    Rare Amulet with +2 sorc skills, resists, and stats

INVENTORY:
    5X GCs with +1 lightning skills and lots of life on each GC
    3X GCs with +1 cold skills and also lots of life on each GC
    Horadric Cube
    MF/resist SCs
    Life/resist SCs
    *Annihilus: Just found a good one yesterday, it's off by 2% resists

Merc (HF):
    Perfect 1.09 Ethereal Vampire Gaze with CHAM
    Ethereal Chains of Honor
    Ethereal Bonehew (almost perfect ed) with 2 SHAELs (i took out the amns after hearing some good advice, hehe Zappa)
    I also suppose that the merc could also use a Ethereal Doom Polearm (skills, speed, damage, holy freeze aura, minus enemy's cold resistance), but I havent found a good weapon to use yet.

I do about (not over) 6000 max damage with chain lightning, and a little less than 14k with lightning. Orb only does about a little less than 500.