Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The best char to start with?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by WhiteAlien, Nov 13, 2006.

1. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

The best char to start with?

I was wondering what is the best char to sart with in D2 classic. Is it like in D2LoD Meteo/Orb sorceress? Maybe you can do well with single elemental attack and good mercenary?

Thx, Whitealien

2. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

I believe that in Classic you cannot take Mercs between acts, so that's pretty much out.

3. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

next ladder, I will probably do what I did when I first started this ladder.

WW Barb. it's a struggle at first to get to lvl 30 to get the WW, and some leach gear, but a simple bsnap, angellic armor, ring/ammy will go a LONG ways, and give you the bonus of mfing as you level.

4. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

Orb/blizzard sorc for sure. You can run hell Andy with no problem and Meph with a bit of a challenge but once you get to him just lead him to the moat of blood and blizzard him from afar.

5. Zodijackyl

Zodijackyl IncGamers Member

Mace Whirlwind barb or Blizzard Sorceress

6. JEstevam

JEstevam IncGamers Member

easiest char to play from scratch is skel necro
    (save up some gold, make a lvl 1 char and with them buy a +3 skel/+3 mastery wand)

holyfire zealot is extremely easy as well

if you want a char who can mf i'd definately go orb sorc
    (1 in warmth, max ice bolt, then orb)

7. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

Damit. That's bad as I planned to make 1 element sorc. Still I think Blizzard sorc can do the thing :cool:

What else wierd differences are between classic and LoD?

In case if I convert my char to LoD should I do Act5 quests?

8. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

There is no act 5 in classic.

9. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

So when you convert classic char to expansion char there is no act5 :shocked: ?

Cannot be true

10. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Since there are far stronger items in LoD (which is also the problem with LoD, makes things too easy, items are overpowered), people usually don't convert active characters. Cause the difference in items also make it so builds(mainly stats) are vastly different.
    And with almost any item having a stronger counterpart in LoD, almost all items go down in value when one converts. I can see trainloads of Pgems heading to LoD on mules though.

When starting out in classic, a Macebarb will get you trough. At the lower levels, you can whack your way up quite easily and when you hit level 30, start WW'ing. In classic, weapon speed does not affect WW, so any weapon which does damage is a viable WW weapon. Maces have the added advantage of doing just a little bit extra damage per point in str when compared to other weapon types. You are likely to come across different Mace weapons, but as long as you get at least 169 str, you will be able to use any one of them and points in str are never wasted as they add damage.
    With maces, your dex can remain at base. Even if you want to use a shield. In classic, dex does not affect blocking, at all, ever.

There are more, I'm sure others can add to this. :)

11. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Indeed it can be true. I know that on US East, Claudio_G rushes in Classic to NM to avoid the Baal quest in Norm. If you made a truly awesome Sorceress, you could theoretically rush all the way to Hell in Classic, thus skipping both Baal Quests. That'd probably be real useful in LoD...

12. xxmunkyxx

xxmunkyxx IncGamers Member

honestly i reckon a auradin would be the easiest, just get holy freeze with a good damage weapon and use like any of the paladin melee moves :)

13. WarlockCC

What about the cold immunes ? Especially the Vipers in their temple ? Those tend to get in your way. At least with a sorc, even if she's just cold, you can tele past those.

14. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

in classic, any of the melee palladins suffer from a nearly complete lack of crowd control.

one typically only sees them built for pvp/lld in particular.

15. WarlockCC

Awww, you're cruel, Goomba, killing off his idea like that. At least I was trying to be nice about it. :)

16. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I try to be brutally honest where ever possible. I once had someone accuse me of preferring the brutality over the honesty part once. From time to time, I suppose they were correct, but generally I just prefer someone who is open and up front in their dealings with me.

for example: I can honestly respect someone that is a jerk to me openly, much easier than one that pretends to be a pal, but is a jerk behind my back. *shrug* (this example has nothing to do with the members in this thread, or the messages in it, it was used solely as an example. your mileage may vary, batteries not included, avoid prolonged exposure to the sun, and erections lasing longer than 13 hours are an indication that you need to see a doctor. Google "disclaimer" for any and all other disclaimers that may apply to this response)

17. IsThisNamePermanent

IsThisNamePermanent IncGamers Member

My account expired, so I myself am having to restart. I'm going with a Orb sorceress with Thunder Storm. Right now she's only level 43, but handles herself just fine in hell. I have soloed my way to act3 hell, killing is a bit slow but I get the job done. Static and Thunderstorm kill the cold immune, I love static.

18. Beltyn

Beltyn IncGamers Member

Orb and static will be my first shot once ladder eventually resets, pick between fireball, TS or CL as back up depending on how skills get tweaked in next patch.

A frost zealot using both Cleg's full set and goblin toe is fairly effective, enemies slowed, knockback, cold damage, and high crushing blow work quite well, along with bonus that vengeance is a nice back up for cold immunes as you have crushing blow.

WW barbs bore me, plus end up being useless come CS so they dont interest me.

Necros are always fun provided you are intelligent and dabble in the curse tree. No one will ever complain having a high level decrep and lower resist getting spammed on monsters.

My last one had level 24 LR, could carpet nearly entire CS in 4 casts and lets sorcs tear through everything.

19. WarlockCC

How do Knockback and Zeal work well ?
    I can see it working well from a crowdcontrol aspect, but if you just want to kill something and not move it away. You would have to shove it up against something else before you can do your dirtywork. But I do find it an interesting idea.
    How well does such a zealer work in CS, what gear to you add to get some res ? I guess hawk is a must. Other then that, does he leech enough back to stay alive ? And does he survive IM when you just started whacking something ?
    Since the reqs of the items you mention is relatively low, the life must be quite high. Tell me a little more about it though. If you would.

20. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

I like full Clegs zealots of several types- Frostalots and Fanatic Zealots, particularly. The knockback is a little annoying but really not bad and I think it's great, cheap gear for those builds. Fred was a big fan of Cleg builds and he had excellent reasons- they work well!

In the CS, you must be aware of IM. Cleg's sword will cause a huge amount of damage so it's out. I usually switch to a big resist wand, Crushflange, or Diggler in that case- don't laugh, they all work well for Frostalots and you can't IM yourself to death with a wand.