Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The best char. for starting off hardcore?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by KavnSardetta, Feb 23, 2004.

1. KavnSardetta

KavnSardetta IncGamers Member

The best char. for starting off hardcore?

Howdy, just wondering which of the following classes would be best for starting off HC.

WindDruid
    Hammerdin
    Concentrate Barb-Isn't it really hard to melee in hell?
    Throw Barb
    Fury Druid

Anything else?

:buddies: Cheers

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Pick you favorite and go!

The least item dependant is always a good choice.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

The FAQ is like Poe's "Purloined Letter". In plain sight, but no one is able to see it. I love it when Literature and the Internet collide!

4. ZeonZaku

ZeonZaku IncGamers Member

I have offically played three classes In HC. Paladin, Necro, and druid.

Hammerdin- was fun gobs of dmg, however I built him a little wrong and did not have any good items (Farely item dependant, hard to aim sometimes in pit running). Died to Fanat Extra Fast Bone archer pack.. Sucks..

SummonNecro- (had two) They are slow, but you don't really have to worry about them Try to gt the best res, block, life you can. Both deaths were to due to lag and carelessness.

*Current* Wind Druid- Max block, max res, pretty good life. Throw in Oak and that res wind armor, and boy are they tough. The dmg is lower then Hammerdin, but higher then necro. Lots Stronger then both in the survivability I feel.

5. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

IMO Summon Necro is a good starter. You can kill (albeit slower than other characters) safely in hell, even with garbage equipment or set up for mf.

What I did was make a mf barb and farm NM meph. Barbs aren't that bad in NM. Then, once I had some midlevel items, I made other characters for Hell.

6. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Maccool, if you read the FAQ, you'll notice that it says there's no best choice. I think Kavn just wanted a little conversation and see what some forum members' opinions are.

7. ZeonZaku

ZeonZaku IncGamers Member

Did you use skill find item? I am toying with a Barb with BO, and throwing. Wondering if Item Find would be viable.

8. redball77

redball77 IncGamers Member

I'm going with a Bone Necro for my first hardcore character. Necro's minions keep the baddies off of you, and Bone Spear/Bone Spirit do so much damage throughout the game that you can kill things very quickly and easily. Factor in the advantages of Corpse Explosion, Bone Wall, Bone Armor, Decrepify, etc, and you can see how easy it is for a Necro to surive. Get him to NM and start Baal running, then you can get some nice items for other character classes. Thats my plan, at least.

9. killerxbabe

killerxbabe IncGamers Member

Whatever class and build you are most comfortable with that is not item dependent is best first choice. And the above mentioned Necro. Even if your not familiar with the Nec, you might give the skellie/bone hybrid a try. Wouldn't worry too much about block for him. Right now mine has maxed RS/SM and a 1k bonespear. As long as i'm careful i can go anywhere and kill anything. Though act bosses are a pain, Andariel is not too bad and he rules for the pit. Easy to get big MF and much safer then any other character IMO.

Also in case you haven't heard about the Marrow walk bug, don't put any in bone prison. These boots give a lvl33 synergy if you have no points invested. Don't have to have them, but it sure helps.

10. raininess

raininess IncGamers Member

It is no on your list, but my first HC is light trapper.. and have fun with it.

11. killerxbabe

killerxbabe IncGamers Member

Yeah, my light trapper just hit 69 last night and is hitting 3.3 K damage on lightning sentry and 1k on shock web. Also a strong a choice and big fun.

12. Pugnare

Pugnare IncGamers Member

I think i lightning trapper is your best bet. Nice survivablility good dmg and can run some tasty mf areas pretty easiliy.

13. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

I think find item is fine. I just planned on doing Meph, so no find item on my baba. However, if you're killing superuniques, the extra drops can really pay off! When I used to run pindle, I had around 6 points in find item, including + skills.

Also, don't forget to cast BC first, for the extra +1 to skills. There's a strategy I should have thought of, but Lucky mentioned it to me. :worship:

14. NinjaTurtleRocky

NinjaTurtleRocky IncGamers Member

enchantress was my first HC char....she aint doing to bad...and im making a blade sin....so choose wuteva

15. minion

minion IncGamers Member

first mf stop (imo) should be nm eld / shenk

i ran these guys for about a week and got enough gear to gear up good chars for hell

16. rpgforumsnet

rpgforumsnet IncGamers Member

I think this is the most asked question on hc forum. Instead of telling you what the best char is, I'll instead share my strategy when starting out on HC. I highly recommend that you get a second copy of d2. You can run two instances of d2 in the same computer with d2loader.

First I build a skellymancer - this is the cheapest build. I bring him to nm baal. With no item base it's still managable. Took me 2 days.

Next I build a enchantress - now this takes very long. She has no useful skills at low level, and her enchant doesn't help alot until level 40. I bring her to level 59 in 4 days with necro's help.

The reason why I choose skellymancer is because the enchantress will have problem fighting bosses (think duriel) w/ low hp. With necro you can just summon a lot of minions, silver the boss and switch to your other window to control your enchantress (she will be waiting in town while you do this). The skellies will continue to fight without your intervention.

[btw: when you play your first char, save a kalim's will for your next char, that's how my enchantress used for level 1-20.]

Now with that it's all up to you, it should be fairly easy to level any character with enchant. I opt to build my mf worker, a blizzard sorc. She works days and nights visiting uncle meph, and he's very kind to reward her accordingly.

And then you go trade for items that you need for specific builds :)

HTH

17. GameHat

GameHat IncGamers Member

Skellymancer is very good.

Don't forget lightning trapsin -
    LS with decent synergy kills well in hell
    FB for strong secondary element attack
    Fade will cover any resistance gaps you have
    Build is more or less gear independant. Shop those +3trap claws from NM anya, otherwise this build is fine untwinked.

18. Sharakorr

Sharakorr Banned

I would suggest the windy druid (holds out ok for himself), the hammerdin (hard to aim hammers tho i think), cookie cutter barb (sorta boring but ok for mfing) or a meteorber sorc (good for mf as well). Not to forget the chain lightning and frozen orb sorc which is good for pit runs :thumbsup: