Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Barbarian is not cartoony.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by havedeath, Jul 8, 2008.

1. havedeath

havedeath IncGamers Member

The Barbarian is not cartoony.

For all the people saying the barbarian looks cartoony.

The old barbarian model was more unrealistic than the new one and looked much sillier. The new one is closer to a real life bodybuilder or muscular person and has a much more rugged look. The old one has blobby muscles and just bad anatomy and proportions in general.

[​IMG]

The old barbarian combat animations were terrible low-res prerendered 3d sprites doing the same attack motion over and over and whirlwind was just a rotating sprite with a whirling image pasted on top. The new Barbarian animations look so much more brutal and the blood and physics look awesome so it baffles me how Diablo fans could not like it. IT LOOKS SO MUCH MORE FUN.

Corpses disappearing is kind of lame but after a certain amount of time they disappear in Diablo II anyways as well. It was just a demo afterall though and the game is years out.

Witchdoctor is not a freaking Troll from WoW he's based on real life african witchdoctors. They have bone lip piercings, nose piercings, decorative outfits and tribal masks. They have NOTHING to do with WoW Trolls.

Health Orbs just make the game go faster they're no stupider than having a plate belt covered in wacky glue with 16 potions stuck to it that you can drink all at once.

It's not cartoony. I HATE WOW and I would hate if this game looked like WoW BUT.. it looks nothing like WoW it looks like God of War if anything not WoW.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T4nGdOiGvqc&watch_response

That grass and background looks just like ACT1 of Diablo II. The boss is HUGE AND AWESOME... he bites the freaking barbarians head off in an awesome gorey fashion!!! The game just looks great to me and looks so much fun AND ITS JUST A DEMO.

2. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Re: The Barbarian is not cartoony.

Ok, noted.

I find the D3 barbarian alot sexier than D2's :thumbup:

3. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

But but but.... I don't want him to bite my head off!

4. havedeath

Then don't die :). I'm pretty sure it is the same as other games with death animations. It'll only do the kill animation if it lands a hit that would kill you at your current hit point level. So people shouldnt worry about being instantly killed unless they would be otherwise (not enough max hit points or just severely injured so you'd die anyways..etc.)

5. Tsumaru

Tsumaru IncGamers Member

I agree with everything you said except the health orbs. Although that's just because my criticism for them isn't based on realism - it's just a personal gameplay preference. Potions were something you could save up and use when necessary. If you're fighting a boss, how do you stay alive now? Either they will still have potions but you have to buy them, or health orbs will drop after certain amounts of damage but not ncessarily death (which, in my opinion, will REALLY suck and just not feel like Diablo at all), or you would have to keep going back to town to heal. The first option makes the health orbs redundant and you might as well have just had potions, the other two are just plain bad in my opinion.

6. havedeath

Potions are still in the game. Health orbs are there just so you don't have to go back to town as often.

edit: I'm pretty sure potions will still drop as well as being bought at towns.

7. havedeath

A thing that sets the health orb apart from potions dropped on the ground is that it heals your whole party if they're close enough and you dont have to equip it like a potion. Graphically they are no more out of place than skill shrines with big giant glowing hands and etc.

8. Lord_Jaroh

Lord_Jaroh IncGamers Member

I find their representations within the gameplay different however, with the barbs being more cartoony in Diablo III than in II. The character select screen, not so much. The cut scene, I did not like the look of the characters though, but that is my anti-wowness leaking through.

EDIT: As far as the globes being unrealistic, I do find a difference between them and the shrines. Maybe it's because the shrines are mystical and can have "effects" so to speak (even though I prefer the shrines from DI myself), whereas people and creatures don't "drop" floaty orbs when they die. You can stretch their drops to items and gold, and potions, but not floaty orbs. Change their representation to something less flashy and I'd be okay with them I think.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

bah realism in d3, since when do monsters run around holding some of the stuff they are holding? how can a swarm of itches even hold anything at all? the orbs are fine, cant say i completly agree with them but it will all be fine, wont ruin the game at all.

as for the corpses vanishing, it has to be done if they plan to have that many more monsters on screen at once

10. Sincubus

Sincubus IncGamers Member

I don't mind anything of this all, in my eyes it doesn't look anything near WOW, it looks MUCH cooler.

The only thing I fear is blizzards mind... maybe they turn the entire game into a MMORPG just like wow... I HATE MMORPG games as I lack a stable internet connection...

FOr the rest I really like what I have seen so far!

11. Tsumaru

Tsumaru IncGamers Member

It's definitely not going to be an MMORPG. They have made that quite clear already.

12. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

I think the Barbarian's armor looks cartoony. There's just... something about him. I think maybe his arms/shoulders might be too big and/or his midsection is too small. To compound it, all the images I can remember of the barbarian at this instance have gigantic shoulder armor.

13. phool

phool IncGamers Member

hardly cartoony (GW)
    total charicature(WoW)
    quite cartoony (D3 alpha)

Actually I don't see why you have a thread title like "The Barbarian is not cartoony." but write instead about how D2's graphics weren't years ahead of their time. D3 is certainly less cartoony than Wow, but then Wow is more cartoony than the average cartoon. Other than the shoulders, I like what we've seen of D3's character models.

14. havedeath

[​IMG]

I don't get how big spikey shoulderpads and a badass demon face with horns for a belt is "Cartoony". Spikey shoulderpads, loincloths and such are just traditional accesories for savage barbaric races in fantasy settings.

I dont think he looks very much like an Orc from warcraft. The textures look alot dirtier and crisp than WoW.

Warcraft Orcs = Savage, Barbaric.
    Barbarian = Savage, BARBARIC (obvious).
    Spikey leather shoulderpads = Barbaric.

Even if there are some similiarities I really don't care if they look a little similiar to Warcraft orcs. They look cool to me and better than anything in WoWs ugly stretched out textures. Plus they're not the only shoulderpad graphics in the game if you really hate them that much.

People are also forgetting about how ridiculous looking alot of barbarian items in d2 were like the jawbone caps and other crazy helmets. When barbarians wore plate mail in D2 it looks absolutely nothing like real platemail, would you consider that cartoony too? They can wield 2 oversized two-handed weapons at the same time and spin a circle.. Isn't that "Cartoony" or "unrealistic"...Who cares? It's cool, it's fantasy and its about beating the crap out of demons.

It doesn't look like a cartoon it's just a pair of spikey shoulderpads on an old barbarian dude who wants to kick some demon ***.

15. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

I didn't say anything about Warcraft.

It's just over exaggerated. The horns on the belt are a little much but neat. It's the giant shoulder armor. Not only that, it looks like you can see a gap between his shoulders and the armor, like it's floating around his shoulder instead of resting on it.

16. havedeath

Honestly those Guild Wars armor sets are just as "Cartoony" as the D3 sets but look much worse and that game was craptastic with slow boring combat + WAYYY too much bloom. 99% of the guild wars armor sets have no basis on reality or real armor. I don't really see the difference except for Diablo 3 looks grittier and darker.

The only class in Diablo II that had realistic armor at all was the Paladin. Every other class looked totally unrealistic and fantasy based as far as armor goes. That's fine too it is a videogame, as long as it looks cool and fits the context of the world it is in it doesn't matter if its realistic or not.

The screenshot of the female barbarian is a still frame up close shot going down some stairs. The game is supposed to be played zoomed way further out. In screenshots you get Jagged lines on the outside but trust me it looks much better in full motion. I admit it doesn't look that great in that crappy screenshot but I just explained why and the armor itself looks fine for a fantasy game. It doesn't really stretch any boundries of the diablo universe.

Everyone needs to stop getting "Cartoony" mixed up with "Fantasy". If the game was totally realistic there would be no demons, skills, town portals, spells, magic items, magic runes, undead and well that you can drink the entirety of instantly + 1000 other things.

17. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Actually I'm pretty sure In D2 none of the char models had massive gargoyles sticking out of their stomachs. Unrealistic isn't a strong enough word, absurd would be more appropriate.

The proportions In WoW, and to a lesser extent D3 alpha, are caricatures of actual human beings. GW, among other many other games, bothers to maintain humanoid dimensions. I'm not sure how you can not see this.

18. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I think you are just picking at every tiniest of flaw, which tends to be more of senseless than constructive feedback.

19. havedeath

I dont think the shoulders are floating. The barbarian has pretty huge shoulders even without those pads on and as far as I can tell the modelers are smart enough to make them not float off the shoulders.

It is other people in threads/petitions/etc. that make the Warcraft comparisons.

20. havedeath

Absurd you mean like the massive horns on the great helms which were just as big and useless as the ones on the barbarians belt? Do you mean absurd like leaping 50 feet in full platemail? Maybe you mean absurd like conjuring a gigantic iceball weighing hundreds of pounds flying across the screen shooting dozens of three foot long icicles at 500lb maggots in the depths of hell?