Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Azurewrath Crystal Sword

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jiansonz, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

The Azurewrath Crystal Sword

Anyone have an idea why this was removed in 1.10? It was one of my favourite uniques if found early. MF on a weapon is not common, and it works well to fight with in Normal.

If Blizzard didn´t want people to mix it up with the new Phase Blade with the same name, they could simply have renamed it to "Noob´s Shard" or something.

I am seriously considering doing MF runs in 1.09 for one, then bring it into 1.10 when a failed unique Crystal Sword with ilvl 16+ drops, IF my character would want one at that stage.

1. Would you SPFers frown upon this?
    2. Can it be upgraded to Dimensional Blade?
    3. Where in 1.09 would be the best place to hunt for it? Normal Mephisto?

2. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

I think it will work if you bring it to 1.10, and if so, it should upgrageable(spelling?) to dimensional blade.

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

* I endorse the practice of 1.09 runs for an Azurewrath (aka "Noob Shard")
    * I don't even think you need to wait for that failed unique to drop in 1.10, unless your innate sense of honor will suffer

As far as haxxoring the system goes, this isn't quite on the same level as farming SOJs in classic to trade in 1.10 LOD. I think few people would frown on it. :)

4. DurfBarian

I blame Durf.

* I endorse the practice of double posting

5. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

Mule your heart out, buddy. It's Blizzard's fault for removing it, therefore all means to reinsert it into the game are justifiable.

Creeping Feature and Blood Witch the Wild are apparently the best SUs for them. Congratulations, you'll be after two of the least seen monsters in the game. As far as Act Bosses go, Andariel has marginally better chances of dropping it than Mephisto.

At any rate, you shouldn't have any problems finding one. Even in Hell, they drop like flies.

6. jiansonz

For me, there is no such thing as 'not often seen monsters in the game'. I always do single-pass full clears, so the later in the game they reside, the fewer times I´ve seen them (because I have characters in progress and dead HC characters). I am one of the very few players who have been in Swampy Pit more times than in Durance 3, Bloody Foothills, WSK or Cow level...

So good ol´ Creepy has a decent chance of dropping it? Nice, he´s my favourite SU.

But Andariel looks to be an even better prospect. I´ll run her with my very first Matriarch, a level 73 FO/FW Sorceress. I wonder how many milliseconds /p8 Normal Andariel will survive in her 4k damage/s Fire Walls? :D

7. MadMardigan

MadMardigan IncGamers Member

Azurewrath is indeed upgradable, in fact, early on in 1.10 I made this:

Azurewrath
    Phase Blade
    One-Hand Damage: 62 to 70
    Required Dexterity: 136
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 66
    Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Indestructible
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 40
    Fingerprint: 0x2fff4985
    +100% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 5-10 magic damage
    Adds 3-6 cold damage over 4 seconds
    +25 Maximum Durability
    10% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    Required Level +12
    50% Deadly Strike

Just so I could have a famous Azurewrath Phase Blade. Maybe one day I'll find a "real" one and not this Noob Shard.

Damage for the Dimensional blade is 26-70 btw.

~Jay

8. cft

cft IncGamers Member

why would we object to you doing this?

Unless you were playing in a no-twinking turnament, or some kind of 1.10-only group, I don't see any reason why you couldn't get it and give it to your characters from the start.

however, I seem to remember that you like to play untwinked, so it maybe a problem for your own rules. So I guess, it's up to you to decide if this breaks your own rules, or if it's acceptable.

Either way, Have Fun!

9. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

If they were going to upgrade the old azurewrath to its current 1337 ness they should have done the same with this :drumroll:
    ShadowfangTwo-Handed Sword

One-Hand Damage: 4 To 18 (11 Avg)
    Two-Hand Damage: 16 To 34 (25 Avg)
    Required Level: 12
    Required Strength: 35
    Required Dexterity: 27
    Durability: 44
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +100% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 10-30 Cold Damage, Cold Duration: 6 seconds
    9% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    9% Life Stolen Per Hit
    Cold Resist 20%
    -2 To Light Radius
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

@Jiansonz: Going back from 1.10 to 1.09 and back with 1.09 Azurwrath is defintly cheesy (like going for some of the 1.08 items), but in my eyes it is almost cheating. The truth is that the item cannot drop in 1.10.
    It's the same like using dropmod in my eyes.

I know you wouldn't use it in some of your tournament characters, but you don't play much non-tournament characters anyway, do you?

11. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I don't like it either, play one patch or the other or you're basically playing a mod. Same as using beta items and 1.07 beserker axes (which btw if I ever find a zod, and make BotD, I will make it a 1.10 item....you can hold me to that...heh like that'll happen).

However, my stance is out of disgust of exploiting like Durf pointed out. For a 1.09 Azurewrath...knock yourself out. But since you like untwinked jiansonz, I'd wait for the failed unique crystal to actually mule it to your character. The law loves exceptions and so do I.

12. jiansonz

I just reacted to the sheer silliness of removing such a cool little weapon in the latest patch. I just don´t get it. Items have had their stats altered between patches (Visceratuant unique Defender is a prime example) but none other has been removed.

From here on, if any of my (non-tourney) 1.10 characters find a failed unique Crystal Sword of ilvl 18+, it will be magically transformed to an Azurewrath during the next save. :D Not that I actually have many such characters at the moment...

I gathered togheter the best MF setup I could find (from all my 1.09 characters) for Adriella. Two of the best items came from herself: PTopazed Harlequin Crest and a Fortitous Ring of Fortune (+39% MF!)
    Halfway through this muling, ATMA crashed and I lost several good items, including a Rhyme shield and Chance Guards. Wisened by this, I saved more often while trying again.

Adriella ended up with +641% MF on her merc´s kills. From my only 1.09 druid, I muled over an AmnAmn Hone Sundan with a fire resist/MF jewel.

There was no need for any spells (other than Teleport) really, but Static Field speeded up the process. I learned three new things from Andariel runs:

1. She does indeed not always drop 2 chippies and a regular gem. Other people have mentioned it here on the SPF but this is the first time I have actually seen it.
    2. When she dies, the monsters in her vicinity die as well, for no apparent reason (just like with Blood Raven!). I did not know this. I am normally always methodic in my "cleaning up" before I fight her.
    3. In 1.09, those set/unique items that have their own graphics, like Deathspade unique Axe (and Azurewrath!), will show this graphics in inventory even before it´s identified. Deep down I knew this, but I had forgotten.

In about an hour, I found two rare Crystal Swords and four magical Crystal Swords (including two failed set items). I also found a 26% Nagelring, which was 1 MF-unit better than my plain Ring of Fortune.

After I received a pair of failed unique Chain Gloves, I switched to Mephisto.
    Since I could use Chancies (and Goldwrap) for even more MF, I thought Meph would be a nice chance of pace).
    Lo and behold, I just happened to have teh über Meph run map!

Yikes, this really is some sick form of gaming (but somehow strangely addictive)! Some of the set items are just ridiculously common...I found a rare one, though: Sander´s Paragon (only second time I´ve seen it.). 2 hours and counting...Chancies finally dropped. 38%, nice! Up to +655% MF now.

Then I decided "just three more runs" and after those three "just one more" I swear, it was going to be my last! And there was Azurewrath...

I just had to do it. MadMardigan showed the stats, so I won´t.

This is a collector´s item, and won´t ever be used. I had backed up Adriella, so she can still run in 1.09, and build up an Azurewrath stock.

I´d like to thank my three 1.10 Guardians that so graciously provided Adriella with the upgrading materials. It was never going to be put to use anyway. Adriella had a Ral and a perfect emerald herself, but her thanks go to:

Sten, for a perfect emerald, a flawed topaz and an Io rune
    Brynhilde, for a Sol rune and two Io runes
    SniperBlazie, for the Pul rune

13. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I like your style jiansonz, congrats. Part of me thinks they removed the Azurewrath crystal sword to keep b-netters from getting scammed.

You make me wish I still had my (pitiful) 1.09 stash.*sigh*

14. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

jiansonz: When I get home I can check my 1.09 HC Stash for one. It's small, but I might have one.

No guarantees though.

I know for a fact I could send you a SC 1.09 Azurewrath though. :p

15. DurfBarian

Nicely done. :D And yeah, the "prevent Bnutters from getting scammed in the trade window" idea is probably dead-on. Makes it lame that Blizz didn't come up with a new name for the elite sword, of course . . .