Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Artforms and Multitude of Disciplines of... Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Evilfury, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Evilfury

Evilfury IncGamers Member

For when one would like to practice one of the many for the appreciation of it?...
    For when one decides its good exercise and know what muscle memory their body will possess?...
    Or...
    When there is nothing to be had and there is no option in flight for the conflict one might be faced with...
    and one must use what art known for defense proficient or not?... Subdue then flight?...

Yes I know its a movie...

Ehem...

Anyone I see here (That sees this Forum Off Topic..) Practice one Form or another a particular artform, their Discipline of Choice?.. One can Call a Martial Art?

Kung Fu... Tai Chi... and Hung Gar... Highly interest me... ;)
    (The colored text are links...)

Oh and...
    I'm not a spambot.... or someone we know of who words their thread names oddly? :S :rolleyes:
    And why are there no Serious smileys?...

EDIT: I am not in the possession of the name to describe the art of or use of the Bo staff.. the particular art I have seen from somewhere the source that is beyond me right now my ability to recall from memory what such discipline the art referenced it comes from... :rolleyes:

EDIT II:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Flux had a thread or something on this.
    :D

3. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

At first I thought you were posting your Netflix queue - I haven't had the opportunity to watch most of the movies I've got of this nature.

I'm not sure what you're wanting to discuss, of if it's just meant to be a free-flowing discussion. I'm not expert by any stretch (some Okinawa Karate & a smidgen of Judo as a child) but obviously I'm familiar with "martial" arts (I was the captain of my varsity fencing team :eek: )

My wife & I have both pushed my son into martial arts, though it's hard for us not to push too hard. He'd rather glue himself to Youtube. We started him in 'traditional' Tae Kwon Do but then pulled him out when he was advancing in ranks but couldn't even defend himself. He took Jeet Kune Do for two years, and learned far more about sparring (can't let the precious flowers hurt themselves, you know) and now takes Jiu Jitsu with adults with occasional bits of kickboxing &c.

I would have tried to keep him in Jeet Kune Do, but for all the supposed reputation of the teacher (who studied under Ted Wong, one of Bruce Lee's proteges) the class steadily became worthless. Twice weekly, sometimes half an hour just "rolling" and kicks (unsupervised), and then two 5-minute spars Thursdays or instruction of a strike on Tuesdays. He's far better off with the Jiu Jitsu instructor who was highly regarded in MMA and is great with kids.

The reason I prefer Jeet Kune Do, Krav Maga, and Sambo is that all are 'conglomerate' styles. This idea that "pure" techniques are best seems to be silly, or at least only the purists are claiming it. There's a reason that MMA is a polyglot discipline.

Lastly, if you want to just shoot the bull, I can offer no cooler examples than from the TV show "Fight Quest", where a couple of dudes explore unfamiliar martial arts to hone their own skills (kinda reality TV but not much is perfect). Things like actual blind fighting or breaking baseball bats with shin kicks.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Jiu Jitsu (or wrestling in general) is probably more useful in school brawls anyway.

I remember a video about an 80 year old guy who could crack fist-sized river gravel with a punch of his hands, but his hands were so twisted that he probably couldn't pick his nose or scratch his butt without getting seriously hurt.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I figure it's also important for him to learn "measured response" since he's a huge boy. The only serious fight I was in as a child was before I really learned any martial arts. I'm lucky I wasn't suspended, since I choked the bully out (he was taller than I, thankfully) and would have kept cranking had not a teacher been on the way.

Good place to post this again, I suppose. Always makes my blood boil.

6. Evilfury

If what you want to discuss fits the topic and you want to post it... it should belong here if you so want to post it...
    I would like this to be a relax(?) topic, say whats on your mind on the topic, feel good having shared what it was...
    What you have in mind... if its about Martial Arts... Nothings wrong with what art it is if you enjoy doing it and you know its is something you can use to defend oneself...
    Anything about Martial Arts... :D

*bows*

7. Evilfury

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014