The Apogee of Gemology - A Jewel Collectors Thread

DiabloTwoinDC

Diabloii.Net Member
Introduction:
Everyone here knows the S/U Grail. And, while waiting on that Tyreal's, why not complete the Ethereal Grail? For those intrepid rune hunters out there, there is the Runeword Grail. Finally, for those with a taste for absurdity, we've developed the Cathan Seal Grail. But, as this final grail appears destined to fall, what other possible mountains are left to summit? For all the lapidaries out there, I present to you: the Jewel Collectors Grail.

Types:
Type IV - Rainbow Facets

We will start this off nice and easy. There's only 1x unique jewel in D2 - Rainbow Facet. However, there are 8x different versions out there.

Type III - Rare Jewel Names
** I am going to need some help with this one, as I don't know how to read the game files. There appears to be around 20 x 6? name combinations used when generating rare jewel names. Skull Scarab, Stone Scarab, Storm Scarab etc. Can anybody provide the full list of possible names? and I will update this section.

Type II - Magic Jewel Names
There are 39 prefixes, and 27 suffixes for magic jewels. Meaning there are 1053 prefix/suffix combinations. Add in another 39 + 27 (for prefix-only and suffix-only). Leaving us with a total of 1119 distinct magic jewel names.

Type I - "Eye-Clean" (highest clarity rating)

What else could there be?!?!? I suggest you read no further, as your psyche could be irrevocably damaged after contemplating the following:

Much like the Kardashev Scale (or fights with Ron Burgundy), this escalates quickly.. There are a total of six different jewel in-game colors, meaning it is possible to find a total of:
Code:
    48       6 (colors) x 8 (rainbow facets)
   720       6 (colors) x 120? (rare names)
+ 6714       6 (colors) x 1119 (magic names)
------
  7482 UNIQUE jewels

Tables: Under Construction
Feel free to copy/paste these tables for your own tracking. You should just be able to highlight, and strike-through the jewel names as you collect them.

FireColdLightningPoison
Level-up​
Level-up​
Level-up​
Level-up​
Die​
Die​
Die​
Die​
I'll just make an example with a few of my jewels names until I can confirm a full list.
PlagueRavenRuneSkull
EyeEyeEyeEye
GyreGyreGyreGyre
HeartHeartHeartHeart
ScarabScarabScarabScarab
TalismanTalismanTalismanTalisman
WhorlWhorlWhorlWhorl
I'm not going to list out every table here. They are going to be identical for all 39 prefixes.
Code:
<No Prefix>
Blanched      +5-8 Defense
Eburine       +9-20 Defense
Bone          +21-40 Defense
Ivory         +41-64 Defense
Scarlet       +1-4 To Minimum Damage
Crimson       +5-8 To Minimum Damage
Carbuncle     +1-5 To Maximum Damage
Carmine       +6-9 To Maximum Damage
Vermilion     +11-15 To Maximum Damage
Cinnabar      +5-10% Damage
Rusty         +11-20% Damage
Realgar       +21-30% Damage
Ruby          +31-40% Damage
Dun           +7-12% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
Brown         Heal Stamina Plus +10-15%
Chestnut      +10-15 Max Stamina
Maroon        +16-25 Max Stamina
Nickel        +10-20 To Attack Rating
Tin           +21-40 To Attack Rating
Silver        +41-60 To Attack Rating
Argent        +61-100 To Attack Rating
Bright        +1 To Light Radius, +10 To Attack Rating
Emerald       +3-7% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
Zircon        +5-10 Mana
Jacinth       +11-15 Mana
Turquoise     +16-20 Mana
Shimmering    All Resistances +5-10
Scintillating All Resistances +11-15
Lapis Lazuli  Resist Cold +5-15%
Sapphire      Resist Cold +16-30%
Garnet        Resist Fire +5-15%
Ruby          Resist Fire +16-30%
Camphor       Resist Lightning +5-15%
Ambergris     Resist Lightning +16-30%
Beryl         Resist Poison +5-15%
Jade          Resist Poison +16-30%
Aureolic      +1-3 Mana Per Kill
Diamond       +25-50 To Attack Rating vs Demons, +25-40% Damage vs Demons
Pearl         +25-50 To Attack Rating vs Undead, +25-50% Damage vs Undead
So, you should be able to copy/paste this table 40 times (with different prefixes as headers), and that should give you a list of all possible jewel names. In this example a plain "Ambergris Jewel" is the 28th name. The 40th table with <No Prefix> will only have 27 names.
AmbergrisResist Lightning+16-30%0 / 28
of Avariceof Blissof Burningof Carnage
of Daringof Ennuiof Envyof Fervor
of Fireof Freedomof Frigidityof Honor
of Hopeof Ireof Joyfulnessof Knowledge
of Lightningof Maliceof Passionof Prosperity
of Spiritof the Glacierof the Icicleof Thunder
of Truthof Virilityof Wrath
You're gonna need a bigger spreadsheet. And possibly a data entry intern for this one..

Last edited:

testyfish

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd be willing to create a spreadsheet of the possible names once we have the list. We should probably come up with a standardized list of names for the colors... Pink, Purple, Peach, Green, Red, and White?

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
There are .txt files called 'RarePrefix' and 'RareSuffix' and they list a lot of the known names but they also list 'Holocaust' as a rare prefix for Body Armor, Helms, Shields, Swords and Axes so I'm doubtful that the file is 100% accurate :D

I nevertheless isolated those names in the txts that were assigned to 'jewl' or 'misc' in the file and compared it with my four rare 1.07 jewels and I found all the names. Take it with a grain of salt:
Prefix:
Beast
Eagle
Raven
Viper
Ghoul
Skull
Blood
Dread
Doom
Grim
Bone
Death
Shadow
Storm
Rune
Plague
Stone
Wraith
Havoc
Bitter

Suffix:
Eye
Gyre
Whorl
Talisman
Heart
Scarab

If those can all occur that would make at least 120 rare jewel names.

DiabloTwoinDC

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice! Thanks @art_vandelay! I noticed very few suffix while looking through my stashes as well. This undertaking is getting significantly easier!! :p

Updated the OP with some sample tables to get people started. Depending on how far you take this, you'll want to use spreadsheets though.

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
Took a minute and looked through my rare jewel stashes in all patches and can confirm @art_vandelay's list of rare names... I saw all the names he listed and didn't notice any that weren't on the list, so great job!!

I think I might already have Type III... :D :p

WoRG