Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Ancients Question

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by toprak, Sep 26, 2006.

1. toprak

toprak IncGamers Member

The Ancients Question

I've defeated The Ancients in Hell for the first time with my lvl 85 Sorc. I got a lot of characters in Hell difficulty, but this is the first time i defeated the Ancients. Since today everytime i defeated them in other difficulty settings, i leveled up, but this time i didn't, is this normal?

2. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

ancient give a certain amount of exp, if its more than a lvl it will be caped at a lvl. When your clvl is to high the experience doesn't reach for a levelup

3. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Ancients reward:

Normal: 1.4 million experience (up to 1 level)
    Nightmare: 20 million experience (up to 1 level)
    Hell: 40 million experience (up to 1 level)

At level 85, you need roughly 95 million experience to reach the next level.

4. toprak

toprak IncGamers Member

Is this valid everytime you beat them or is it just for the first defeat? I don't see a huge difference in my experience bar everytime i defeat them. That's what's confusing me.

5. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

just the first time. otherwise we'd all do ancients in hell over and over again and we'd be lvl 99 in no time. no need for baal runs, chaos, etc

6. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

I think it used to be that the ancients gives a level or two. The new patch changed it I think or something like that.

7. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

Certainly not 1.11, and I don't remember something like that in the 1.10 readme.

8. thegiantturtle

In 1.09, there was no cap on the number of levels you could gain with your experience. A level 20 character doing normal ancients would gain the full 1.4 million experience and end up as Level 25 or 26. In 1.10+, the bonus is capped to 1 level.

I believe the Ancients are worth 1 experience each. The big experience you receive is a quest reward.

9. BlueOctoberFan

BlueOctoberFan IncGamers Member

So, at what level is it optimal to kill the Ancients in each difficulty? (i.e. at what level will you gain a full level from the ancients, without wasting any xp?)

10. Stax

Stax IncGamers Member

copyed from Arreat Summit

Notes: You cannot get credit for this quest unless your Character Level is greater than or equal to 20 * difficulty level, where the difficulty level is one for normal, two for nightmare and three for hell mode.

so for normal
    20 x 1 = 20
    nightmare
    20 x 2 = 40
    hell
    20 x 3 = 60

11. BlueOctoberFan

I am aware of this... to be more precise, my question is thus: If you gain 1.4 million xp for killing ancients in normal, at what level are you closest to requiring exactly 1.4 million xp in order to gain a level? Rinse and repeat for NM and Hell...

12. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

Whatever the answer is there's really no sense in even thinking about that.

13. ppz

ppz IncGamers Member

now that's not very nice. He's simply asking at what level do you get the most xp out the ancients. It may not matter very much if it's just a couple of baal runs difference, but it can't hurt now, can it?

This may be a good question for the stats forum if not answered here.

14. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

For full benefits (as in the amount needed for the next level more or less equals the amount the Ancients give at that particular difficulty):
    Normal Ancients: level 36
    NM Ancients: level 66 or 67
    Hell Ancients: level 74 or 75

15. BlueOctoberFan

Why is there no sense in thinking about it? Granted, for normal, it's easy enough to do baal runs and gain any XP that you lost in doing the quest early, but it could make a difference in nightmare. I'm thinking of advancing in the most efficient way for someone, such as myself, who cannot just power-rush through the game and be level 80 in a few hours.

Besides, what is the harm in thinking about this? Using your notion, what is the sense in even playing the game? It's entertaining, but it provides no value what-so-ever to the world at large.

16. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

It reachs to be higher than this levels, maybe you won't get a lvlup but you will get the full quest reward.

Does anyone knows if the "high level char penalty factor" for experience also aplay to this quest reward? Since all my chars without the word mule in their names aren't glitchrushed I have no possibility at moment to proof or disproof.
    Thanks for answers.

And by the way the question is always more important than any anser.

17. Evrae Altana

True; I'd rather "save" the NM Ancients quest reward for a higher level, but for the sake of simplicity, I just listed the levels one would be if the Ancients reward is the full amount needed to level at that particular moment.

18. thegiantturtle

It is a flat bonus. 20 million experience at level 70 is the same as 20 million experience at level 98.

19. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

The word flat means so many diffrent things, I guess here used like flat fee. So if you plan on brining a char to lvl 99 it's wise to wait untill lvl 98 before making the ancients. At this lvl 61,4 millions are a lot, hundreds of baalruns.
    Anyway I do not feel like bringing a char up to lvl 99, and for sure not a glichrushed one. But it gives a nice portion of information regarding the games mechanisms. Thanks for fast anser, thegiantturtle.

seralph

20. Evrae Altana

You wouldn't be able to save Hell Ancients for level 98, since they're needed to be completed in order to participate in Hell Baal runs. Unless, of course, you get to level 98 without the use of endless Baal runs.