Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Anceints (single player)

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Y8z, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Y8z

Y8z IncGamers Member

The Anceints (single player)

I chose the newbie thread because I havent played in about 4 years and have never done the expansion before.

I seem to be stuck on the section where you fight the 3 ancients at the top of Mt. Thingamejig ...

Now im not sure if Im not high enough or Im approaching them with the wrong tactics but theyre damage output seems to be just too great.

I try just concentrating on one at a time by running in hitting one a few times when theyre seperated from the others but the general damage I receive just seems to wear me down too quick before I have to cast TP to reset them.

I am level 31 dual wielding maces barb, I have 17+ points in mace mastery and am mainly using frenzy which I have a few points in aswell as its pre-requisite double swing. I have 3 or 4 points in ironskin also. My weapons are nothing special and certainly not unique but I have no problems smacking Diablo around. Have tried doing several diablo runs a night just for some quick exp and the chance to happen on some silks of the victor to try and give me a equip upgrade. Basically if anyone has any ideas or can tell me what im doing wrong please give me a shout ... or a slap :)

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Do you have a mercenary? If not, try getting one and levelling them up to your level - the extra distraction is quite handy.

Make sure you're well-supplied with potions too.

3. Y8z

Y8z IncGamers Member

I have tried taking in a barb mercenary and also one of the caster ones from act 3 but both got pasted in no time. Havent tried levelling them up at all though, When I face them I generally go in with 16 greater healing potions.. is this not enough or should I take more in my inventory. One thing I do think may be an issue is that i only have around 4% life steal at the moment , is this an issue ?

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Take as many potions as you'll need plus twice as many again for backup.

Remember you can give your merc potions (shift + belt slot) as well.

Life Steal is handy, but not crucial to the outcome.

You might want to post in the Single Player forum too - you might get some more ideas there.

5. spaker_man

spaker_man IncGamers Member

If you need more time to beat them and keep running out of potions one trick is to tp in and out a couple times and drop a bunch of potions on the ground around the summit. This way you can grab some up as you run around during the fight.

Also make sure that you have some cold dmg somewhere in your gear ... on a charm or in your weapons ... wherever. Which frenzy you'll be htting all 3 of them together if they are in range and so some cold dmg will slow down the dmg you take.
    maybe gambling on some maces might turn up some better weapons too... just a thought.

6. Rex

Rex Banned

If you get hit to much, try an act2 defensive merc. The Defiance aura should boost your defense rating. Also, try to get some solid armor.

7. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

Try to take them out in this order too: The one onl the left, then the one in the center, then the one on the right. Check their names before you release them that way you know which one's is which (I forgot the names/order of them Talic, Madawac, and Korlic). As someone stated earlier, an act 2 merc is very useful. The type of merc depends on a few things though for your current situation. Go back to the anceints with out any merc, and attack them for a little bit then reset them with a tp. Check your character screen then and see what your chance to hit them is and their chance to hit you. Based on that either get a defiance merc, or a blessed aim merc. Just in case you didn't know you can find out what type of merc at www.diabloii.net (combat, offensive, defensive.....prayer, blessed aim, defiance?). Also take the time to lvl the merc to your lvl or close to it, and equip him nicely with high def, high damage spear/polearm, and some life leech if possible. Have fun :)

8. andyishuge

andyishuge IncGamers Member

My hammerdin completely destroyed all 3 of them, without the aid of a merc (just wanted to see if I could do it) and he doesnt even have a shield (uses caster gear). I think it may have to do with the amount of health you have? What is your max health?

9. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

resistance are very important, and i find tat merc dies too quickly, u should maybe scatter pots around and try to take them on one on one. :thumbsup: