The Adventures of Beerbelly Stoutliver, the Drunken HC Project der

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
The Adventures of Beerbelly Stoutliver, the Drunken HC Project

"I don't play Hardcore (HC) because HC and impaired reactions don't work so well. And since I occasionally have a sip while playing..."

[begin cheesy television commercial voice]

*How many times have you heard this conventional wisdom uttered in the history of the SPF? Once or twice you say? Or perhaps it's a point that's been proclaimed so many times that you're starting to take it forgranted.

Well, it's time someone challenged conventional wisdom, and that someone is me... with the help of certain paladin, aptly named:

BEERBELLY STOUTLIVER!!!*

[/cheesy tv voice]

The Ground Rules:
- Untwinked, Hardcore, 1.11b.
- RRM/RWM will be used
- ATMA will be used as an extended stash
- It isn't quite single-pass, but area/monster reruns will be minimal
- not every quest is likely to be completed (specifically Nihlathak)
- Save and Exit to avoid death is not allowed
and, most importantly:
- I'm only allowed to play this character when I am too intoxicated to safely drive a car

The Build:
10+ Conversion (used for recruiting drinking buddies)
5+ Vigor (possibly as a primary aura)
20 Holy Shield
and the rest will be as I see fit. I'm undecided as of yet, but there will definitely be some melee involved.

I was going to stay away from Blessed Hammer, but then I thought of the term "hammered 'din"... and now I'm wondering if the terminological coincidence makes the skill too fortuitous to pass up. :undecided:

The Plan & Miscellaneous:
- Strategically, he'll focus on recruiting drinking buddies and running away if things look too bleak - I wanted a very simple defense mechanism, and minions+Vigor is it.
- This thread will be a progress thread, updated from time to time (I'm not sure if I'll update the thread when intoxicated as well - I might, for humours' sake).
- I have no idea how long this will take, or how often I'll be up for playing some drunken D2. This could potentially be a long term project.

Where you come in:
Post your best guess as to which Waypoint (and difficulty) will be his last, and the closest guess wins a beer in the EMB (on Durf's tab, of course).

[cheesy TV voice, again]

*So, how far will Beerbelly Stoutliver go?

Will he stagger belligerently through the minions of hell, converting drinking buddies and winning bar fights along the way? Or will he be found face down in some dark alley with a couple empty bottles of rejuvenation nearby?

Follow along with Beerbelly as he stumbles, bumbles, and fumbles his way as Guardian of the World...

err... hopefully Guardian of the World.*

Head Jumper

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm.. It depends how intoxicated you are..

If you are like this: :smug: , then i'd say ummm.. guardian?

If you are more like: :goofy: and use zeal as main meele attack, undead dolls will send you to bed.

:dizzy: will end up by nm, act 3 (don't ask - don't know),

and this will lead you to hospital, or if not so you will be eaten by a chickens in rogue camp. Even Akara won't help you.

Go on, defend the alcoholic honor!:thumbsup: GL on your quest!

Oh, and i wouldn't advice using vigor, it will be hard to run that fast when stoned.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
My vote is norm diablo. If you can't react quick enough to oncoming traffic, no way can you dodge the 18 wheeler that is his norm lightning attack.

But I'm very interested to hear how you fair, preferably drunken updates, but I'm no picky. :laugh:

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
How intoxicated is safely driving a car for you?

And for this, I'm in also (if you don't mind poops). I hit up the bar too regularly (weekly) to pass up. I'll think up a theme.

crg

Joosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Perhaps this could be turned into a tournament one day, once you've finished obviously poops. I think that considering the majority of the community here are adult d2 veterans there would be a big enough following to host a tournament.

Perhaps just the rule could be the same as yours, you can only play whilst too intoxicated to drive a car, but then again, how do you know? We need a breatho thread just to check everyones blood alcohol levels :wink:

But anyway back to the topic at hand. I'm going to be generous and say that you will make to hell, from there I can't say but I don't think you will make guardian with this little beer-bellied fiend.

Best of luck to you poops, just don't be drinking just to play this char :wink::thumbsup:.

Joosh

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
@Head Jumper, is that a portrait of you? :tongue:

@skoolbus, actually, I haven't died to LBoD in a long, long time - there's lots of space around BigD, so I just run a circle around him when I see him wind up. I'll definitely be drunk if LBoD gets me this time.

How intoxicated is safely driving a car for you?
I used to be much, much worse in my youth, but now I'm pretty conservative. Basically, I try not to drive after catching a "2-beer-buzz" (I think I could still drive quite safely at that point, but the legal repercussions of driving drunk are too extreme).

For the purpose of this quest, I'll set the safety-switch at a "3-to-4-beer-buzz".

And if you want to try it yourself, please do. You can post your progress here if you want - or start another thread if you prefer that too - I'm indifferent. A little more traffic never hurt a thread, IMO.

At the moment I might have a few drinks once every 10-15 days, so this project could take a very long time if I'm only playing in 30-45 minute sessions (and I don't always feel like playing if I'm drunk). Mostly, this project is an excuse for me to continue dabbling in HC whenever I feel like it, and whatever the RL situation around me - and hopefully have some fun in the process.

Perhaps this could be turned into a tournament one day...
I kindof thought of this, but I don't know if it's a great idea or a horrific one... I'm fairly certain it's on the horrific end of the scale. :laugh: Not to mention there'd probably be unforseen repercussions... I don't want to be responsible for turning us into a forum full of raving alcoholics.

... just don't be drinking just to play this char :wink:
not likely. :wink3:

This should be a tournament. I've heard you mention this project in the past, and I greatly anticipated it! I'm proud of you.

P.S. In addition to in-game events, may I also request that you fill us in on what exactly you're drinking while playing? I've been known to imbibe a wide variety of alcoholic beverages while playing...err, make that dying--and I'd love to hear about your own poisons.

I vote Act III, NM.

Head Jumper

Diabloii.Net Member
@Head Jumper, is that a portrait of you? :tongue:
No:smiley: I usually delete those kind of pictures. I can't participate in many tourneys (even MFO:((( ) since i am going to holliday with my friends by 13th july, but i will be pleased to post those pics of myself when i get back, from there ofc:evil:

Tourney idea is great, thought about it myself too. And more points should be scored if you are more stoned:) I would be very interested, that would be fun.. Or imagine multi play? Like we 'arrange' intoxication all over the world (time zones), someone will be drunk at morning, whilst someone will play after-party:laugh: Team-speak, MUAHAHAH:D It would be hillarious.

Oh, please post your progress here, whilst you are still dizzy:p

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds like a fun thing to follow :tongue:

edit: on a random note I think progress will be awfully slow if youare using conviction only :p
Try an aura together with that and if you get in a bad situation use vigot and run

adzicents

Diabloii.Net Member
I vote... Act 3 Flayer Jungle... If playing on a higher /p setting while those guys are running in circles, you won't know where to click and attack... Before you know it you'll be down :p.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
I used to be much, much worse in my youth, but now I'm pretty conservative. Basically, I try not to drive after catching a "2-beer-buzz" (I think I could still drive quite safely at that point, but the legal repercussions of driving drunk are too extreme).
Getting convicted of a DUI (in the US at least) costs you, on average, $20,000 over your lifetime (mostly high insurance rates because they will never go back down). Plus if you live in the retarded state of Virginia, which I do, and you get even a speeding ticket, it's now an additional $1000 fine, I believe a DUI is a $3000 one. Of course, this only applys if you have a Virginia drivers license... How you're supposed to pay these is beyond me.

Drunk driving, worth it? Never.
Speeding, worth it? For me now, nope.

ZeN

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, being of a Russian heritage I would have to say boo to 3-4 beer buzz :wink: 3-4 beers is what we Russians wash our throats with after a 0.5 - 1 liter of vodka:neener:
So in light of the said above - Guardian.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool idea poops. If I were doing this, I wouldn't do any character planning unless drunk, this way you get the full effect on your character.

If you wanted to turn this into a tourney, you could possibly make a Diablo drinking game, like maybe a shot everytime a choking gas potion drops. Sadly I don't drink, so can't participate. Also I'm not sure if such a tourney might lead to alcoholism by associating something as addictive as D2 with drinking:tongue: .

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
And if you want to try it yourself, please do. You can post your progress here if you want - or start another thread if you prefer that too - I'm indifferent. A little more traffic never hurt a thread, IMO.
Sweet, I'm in then. I'm out once a week. I'm not sure what build yet. I'm wary to play a build that requires a higher-slvl skill to start. However, I refuse to play a skellimancer. I was thinking TS/LS assy or a zealot.

crg

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
@noobintraining, odds are the list will look like this (from most to least frequent):

1. Tequila (Milagro Anejo)
2. Tequila (Patron Margaritas)
3. Tequila (Patron Silver)
4. Tequila (Corralejo Anejo)
5. Crown Royal
6. Red Wine (a lot of Cabernet, various regions)
7. Gin and Tonic (and the Reverend Horton Heat)
8. Tequila (Patron Anejo - good but expensive)
9. Sake (various brands, Junmai Gingo)
10. Beer

@skoolbus, that is definitely extreme. I actually lived in VA for a couple months back in "those" days - I was probably lucky to get out when I did since working, drinking and partying was all we ever did (what else do you do when you're 20?).

BTW, where are you? My brother lives in Amelia (45 minutes SW of Richmond), so I still go back every year or two.

Well, being of a Russian heritage I would have to say boo to 3-4 beer buzz :wink: 3-4 beers is what we Russians wash our throats with after a 0.5 - 1 liter of vodka:neener:
So in light of the said above - Guardian.
3-4 beers is the starting point. More is likely, on some occasions. However, you should try drinking like that at ~2km altitude... there's something like 33% less oxygen up here, and combining hangovers and altitude sickness is just as not-fun as it sounds (since having one makes you much more suseptible to the other, and they basically magnify each other).

When you do try it, I'm not holding your hair when you puke. :evil:

Head Jumper

Diabloii.Net Member
@noobintraining, odds are the list will look like this (from most to least frequent):

1. Tequila (Milagro Anejo)
2. Tequila (Patron Margaritas)
3. Tequila (Patron Silver)
4. Tequila (Corralejo Anejo)
5. Crown Royal
6. Red Wine (a lot of Cabernet, various regions)
7. Gin and Tonic (and the Reverend Horton Heat)
8. Tequila (Patron Anejo - good but expensive)
9. Sake (various brands, Junmai Gingo)
10. Beer
[OT]You do have nice taste! Tequila is tequila by me:grin: I am a big fan of it, but i am drinking what my pockets like mainly, so we ussualy go for 'Fiesta mexicana' (cheapest one, but IMO the best:)), Pablo Cuervo or Two fingers. What is the Crown Royal? Cabernet is nice, but i usualy go for it when having a lunch, or as a digestif. I have to try Sake one day.. What's the price range of a bottle?[/OT]

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
poops, I salute you for trying this, and even if you fail I'll be glad to buy you a beer, on Durf's tab, that is.

But please, for the love of Durf, no drunk posts. Those are fun for a while, but then get downright weird.

muzzz

Diabloii.Net Member
Been waiting for this thread :smiley:

Sounds like something I should try later. At the very least I'll be excused when my character dies a very emberassing death. But I don't often drink without company, so I might be a bit too slow.

If we could get add an MP element though... I might even be willing to put up with RRM/RWM taint for that :grin:

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
[OT]You do have nice taste! Tequila is tequila by me:grin: I am a big fan of it, but i am drinking what my pockets like mainly, so we ussualy go for 'Fiesta mexicana' (cheapest one, but IMO the best:)), Pablo Cuervo or Two fingers. What is the Crown Royal? Cabernet is nice, but i usualy go for it when having a lunch, or as a digestif. I have to try Sake one day.. What's the price range of a bottle?[/OT]
Crown = Canadian Whiskey - Rye... a little sweeter than scotch, but 1/2 the price... and still very good. (I like scotch best, but at $50+ for a decent 15 year old... meh).

Sake is a lot like wine (actually, I think it is wine - rice wine, essentially, ~15% alcohol, etc.). Around here, you can get an $8 bottle, you can get a $40+ bottle, or anything in between. It's not hugely popular here, so finding it can be difficult at times. I haven't boughten a lot outside of sushi restaurants though, as some of the ones I like best are very hard to find in stores. I tend to prefer junmai gingo (it's a style, like Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc).

Chilled sake is a very light and refreshing drink on a hot day... very nice. Hot Sake (temperature, not spice) is also a very nice thing in the right circumstances, usually after a particularily cold day outside.

If you buy a bottle, throw it in the fridge and chill it, then wait to try it until after doing something like mowing your yard on a hot sunny day :cloud9:... if you get a good bottle (i.e. minimal aftertaste), I think you'll like it very much.

But I don't often drink without company, so I might be a bit too slow.
Me neither - our house is the neighbourhood party-pad, and friends must leave at some point though

If we could get add an MP element though... I might even be willing to put up with RRM/RWM taint for that :grin:
I know I don't plan on getting drunk just to play D2, and I doubt we'd have enough regularity or participation for this to work... that said, setting up Teamspeak for a drunken MP session could be funny as hell. :grin:

Last edited:
Sake can indeed be a bit hard to find in the US. If the mood strikes you sirpoops, there's a chain of stores in California (not sure if they have them in Colorado) called BevMo. That's the only place I've been able to find it with regularity.

Another tough one is soju, a vodka-like Korean drink which is similar to sake.
I used to drink it quite often in Korea, but now that I'm back in the states it is hard to find. *sigh*