Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

the 5th element

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by slam, Feb 11, 2004.

1. slam

slam IncGamers Member

the 5th element

Bone Spear, Bone Spirit, Teeth, Berzerk, Blessed hammer. I'm I'm right, these attacks are classified as "magic" (are there others I missed?). My question is, are magic attacks improved by Conviction and Lower resist like the other 4 elements? I expect they are but I just want to make sure before I go ahead with team builds with this belief.

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

They're no longer affected by Lower Resist, and Conviction never lowered magic resist. Lower Resist now doesn't lower it either.
    Magical dmg is (almost) completely irresistible now.

Blessed Hammer is influenced by Concentration, a bug that was turned into a feature...:rolleyes:

3. slam

slam IncGamers Member

well, that changes all our plans! thanks for the response.... poison is affected by lower resist and conviction though right?

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Poison Resist is only affected by Lower Resist - Conviction lowers Fire, Cold and Lightning resists only.

5. slam

slam IncGamers Member

that's kinda stupid that conviction doesn't affect poison damage, it says "reduces the defense and resistances of nearby enemies" since there is such a thing as poison resistance, why isn't it lowered?

also, i'm wondering if lower resist and conviction affect the fire damage of a fire golem?

6. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

cause poison doesnt suit the paladins character. it will help the fire golem deal more dmg but the golem is mostly for tanking. i dont think theres enough synergies item to make it a killing maching.

7. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

BTW about that magic resist...

looking through the beastiry I noticed that some monsters actually have magic resistance, as in resistance against the magic type (like bone spear and hammer). I always thought magic was completely unresisted by any monster, just immuned by some.

Not to say that the resistance helps when hit by a broken 15K hammer...

8. slam

slam IncGamers Member

yeah, once in a while you see a magic immune monster, a super unique usually. unless i was dreaming, i once saw a physical and magic immune monster, a nightmare for my barb!

the fire golem is actually doing 401-449 fire damage at level 20 so with conviction and lower resist on top of that, it should be significantly boosted, also a great tank for our party

so you know what we're doing me and some family members (at least 4 of us) are making an all elemental party. we're all specializing in different elements (though our paladin is using vengeance so will have 3 elements). at a minimum we'll have:

zon with freezing arrow
    sorc with meteor
    paladin with vengeance and conviction and meditation
    necro with 3 maxed poison skills and lower resist.... (and fire golem?)

9. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

Yes there are a few magic immunes out there

Mostly Greater mummies have this mod, but those plague bearers do too... Luckily hammerdins dont have to worry here since bhammer ignores magic resistance of demons/undead

There is only one monster immune to bhammer and those are act 3 wailing beasts, most commonly found in the ruined temple areas

10. assmuffin

assmuffin IncGamers Member

That's why I stay out of Act 3 with my Hammerdin...:D

11. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

With a party made up like that you should cut through anything in Hell with ease and you certainly don't need to worry about a few magic resistant or immune monsters... happy hunting :D

12. slam

slam IncGamers Member

if the poison damage will only be affected by lower resist and not conviction, we're debating having a necro in the party.... i suppose the lower resist will still be helping the other party members though.

stupid question: lower resist and conviction do stack right?

what we'd love to have is an 8 player elemental party, with 2 paladins (one to always use conviction aura and the other to always use meditation so we have plenty mana and don't have to invest any points in energy, other characters would be 1 of each of the other characters except barb, maybe 2 sorcs too, that would be fun :)