Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] The 1pt smiter guide to Uber Tristram v 1.0.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by kingdryland, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Copilot

Copilot Diabloii.Net Member

You can leech from bosses, but you can't leech with smite, you can only life tap with smite.

2. UberB

UberB Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, I was talking about lifetap. But ReqiuemDeath, would you care to elaborate? I've done the math and it doesn't add up. Death just simply does not leech enough with smite as many of the wonderful mods that make it great for zealing (weapon ed, DS) do not work with smite. Leeching 250 hp per smite means 1250 hp leeched per second. Is that enough for trist? It seems like you take a lot of damage with all those minions and bosses beating at you. Do you use a 1 point smiter with a Death berserker axe? Can you say how much smite damage you do and the gear you use? Thanks.

3. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

If a heaven's light leeches enough, so does death. Grief is not a must. What do you think we use to do ubers early last ladder? Yyes, I do only about 500 damage with salvation on, and it was basically enough.

4. UberB

UberB Diabloii.Net Member

Actually Death does less damage than Heaven's Light, but I'll believe you. Is Fort necessary?

5. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

Well, true, slightly (because of the +skills on smite and holy shield). Not that it matters. I was using duress at that time. I mean, if I am not rich enough to afford death, why would I have fort?

6. Copilot

Copilot Diabloii.Net Member

Just did my first uber trist, 13/20 assassin torch...

oh well it was fun and easy, took like 20 seconds to kill each boss.

7. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

First off, if Life Tap kicks in, why worry about how much life you are leeching? Next off, why obsessivly crunch numbers like this when you've seen countless posts of people wtfpwning Uber Trist with less than crap-tastic gear?

It will do fine, trust me... I've used one... It works great...

*Requiem_Death

8. Zathy

Zathy Diabloii.Net Member

what would be the amount of str I should be aiming at when building smiter? Or if you put it other way around, what armor/shield types I should use for my runewords?

I just started building this char and I'm afraid to put points in str in early game (would like to thou for sigons).

9. vidluft

vidluft Diabloii.Net Member

it depends ...
    forti is rlly nice beoucse of ed .. but as we all know smite doesnt take adds from ed so i would go with coh becouse its got res to
    its up 2 u

10. vidluft

vidluft Diabloii.Net Member

i would go with helm
    coa with 2 ber or shako with 1
    greif ba or pb
    exile with at least 40 res
    coh or enigma coh for skills and res and eni got frw
    dracul
    eth sandstorm
    verdungo u need it
    mara
    ravenfrost for frost
    rare res ring

if u got with eni ... u dont ned any str couse eni gives 1 str every lvl so i guess a uber trist smite should be around at least 84 .
    so try to find some str ring or amu if u wanna use sigon so much :smiley:
    but the best way its 2 get boost to dia in hell and lvl from there o eni req lvl 65 :thumbsup:

11. Zathy

Zathy Diabloii.Net Member

so if I dont put any points in str and would go for dusk eni (str req 77), I would need very high anni and torch (= very expensive) plus some other str charms/rings... right?

12. HarbyHarby

HarbyHarby Diabloii.Net Member

I'm thinking of making a 1pt smiter using the following gear:

Guilface
    Grief PB
    CoH
    Zaka
    Draculs
    Tgods
    Gores

So fairly straightforward gear. Rings would be carrion + raven. I was wondering about necklace (since I dont have a metalgrid), is highlords a bad choice? Seems decent to me.

According to my calculations with the above setup and my anni/torch I dont need a single point in str besides base one. The obvious drawback is that I cant equip everything until I hit lvl75 which should not be a big problem. Keeping in mind I'd like to pvm/pvp with this one and not just run UT. The one thing I wont be able to equip will be an up'ed Zaka (due to not having enough str obv). How much damage difference there is (in smite) with Zaka vs up'ed Zaka ? If its worth it I'll obviously dump some points in str instead of going base.

13. Spectrus

Spectrus Diabloii.Net Member

Highlord's is an ok choice. I would take a look at your resists, and judge from there. Metalgrid/Mara's provide nice resist, with Mara's being somewhat wasted imo since the +2 skills isn't needed. If you can though, a nice rare ring can provide resist, strength, and life leech instead of Carrion.

As for upping, since you're using Grief, the damage of HoZ vs upped Hoz is really somewhat small in comparison. It's probably not worth it if it makes you happy to not put any points in strength. But then, if you're doing pvp, you might want/need all the damage you can get. I can't say much about pvp, because I haven't pvped since 1.10.

However, I would look into exactly how the equipment goes on, because I think your setup might not let you pick up your corpse and equip everything right away.

14. HarbyHarby

With an Um in Zaka and a couple of small charms with +life/+res I got I should be capped at resists. And yes, I'm looking into exactly how str from gear goes. I think it wont work out with just base str, I think I'll have to add about 10 points, will have to verify that.

Another question. What do you think of these belts instead of tgods? Nosferatus, String of Ears, Verdungos. In my eyes tgods is pvp material and I'd like something more all around.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  15. Spectrus

TGods is an excellent general use belt. It gives a huge boost to strength and vitality, increases max lit resist, gives lit absorb. The only annoying thing is when it casts FoH, it seems to put everything on delay when it does. I personally use a Credendum, I guess only to avoid the FoH, which is sort of annoying in Trist. Dying probably won't happen, but it might get close. Try it out though.

Of the ones listed, Verdungo's is probably my pick. String is ok, but with Dracul's, you have life leech already. Nosferatu's doesn't really do much for your build. Grief PB is already fast enough.

But like I said, TGods is an excellent belt, and Gloams will hate you for it.

16. HarbyHarby

Hmm the real question now is where to put the points once Zeal, Fana, Sacrifice and HS are maxed. I was thinking of some points on Vengeance to deal with phys immunes. Any thoughts on this one?

Also, how important is it to reach 86% FHR breakpoint with smiters?

17. Alc

Alc Diabloii.Net Member

Vengeance's elemental dmg conversion only works for the base dmg of the weapon (or something to that effect), so with a phase blade you're not dishing out any serious damage. You're better off using Gimmershread or Azurewrath.

18. Spectrus

I don't think that's exactly how Vengeance works. At any rate, I know that Grief's +damage does not work with Vengeance, so if you're using Grief, you'd need a switch to use Vengeance, and then you might as well just use Gimmershred or Azurewrath anyway, as Alc said. I don't recommend getting Vengeance.

I can't speak for PvP (but I presume that the 86% FHR breakpoint is the one most people go for... and FHR is definitely important in PvP), but in PvM, FHR isn't really that important. I didn't pay any attention to FHR breakpoints on my pally (not even sure he has any), and he does fine for PvM, including ubers. Not many things stun, and not many things will hit you hard enough, I guess.

19. HarbyHarby

Well I added 2 points in vengeance pretty much by accident but anyway :S I have azurewrath, just need the lvl to equip it though I kind like my cta on switch :/

Another question, how +%ed jewels work in conjunction with zeal and smite? I never played a melee char before so I'm clueless about those. And I have an empty socket on guilface and no clue what to socket in that. I'm thinking between perf ruby, Ber and Jah. My resists are capped obviously so Um is not needed. I care mostly about general PvM and ubers. PvP is of little concern.

20. Alc

Alc Diabloii.Net Member

I do too. I keep my Azurewrath in my cube, and keep my cube with me. It's a pain, but then so are PIs, and if your main weapon is Grief then you have to decide what you're going to prioritise: cta, PI-killing, or inventory space.