Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] The 1pt smiter guide to Uber Tristram v 1.0.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by kingdryland, Feb 11, 2006.

1. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Heaven's Light has more CB, so their life drops a bit faster... Grief has none, but when their life reaches about 1/4, CB is useless... This is where Grief really shines, because it keeps on ripping... Try just switching after that point, and you may kill them even faster...

The whole reason for Life Tap is that you can't leech life off of bosses, much less the Ubers, like you can with everything else in the game, but Life Tap side-steps this rule... So, LoH isn't going to help you there with life leech at all... You are better off with Drac's because of the renewable Life Tap source... Besides, they have some life leech on them for normal monsters, and best of all, they have the Open Wounds mod, which effectivly stops the Uber's life regen... With Grief vs. anything other than bosses, you'll have all the life leech return you need because of the balls-out damage it deals... Try this out... I'm quite sure you'll like it...

*Requiem_Death

2. awsker

awsker Diabloii.Net Member

After giving it a few more tries with Grief and Dracul's, I must say it works a lot better. The problems I encountered earlier must've been due to heavy lag cause I really don't have any trouble anymore. Thanks alot for all your help guys!

3. Spagge

Spagge Diabloii.Net Member

Not sure if this is considered to be to off topic, but anyways..
    Im going to duo UT with a friend, and have already started a pally following this build, what would be the best char/build for him to choose? Im sensing that if we both choose this build we could lack in survivability, but Im not sure..

Any tips? :)

4. Copilot

Copilot Diabloii.Net Member

Hammerdin probably for clearing out UT, but I would just solo it, it isn't hard with this build.

5. RequiemDeath

You can 2 man it with the same build with ease... In fact, one of you could run the fanatic aura, and the other can run Salvation for the resist boost... No worries with the survivability... But, if you want some variety and versatility, I'd suggest anything that could easily handle IM and PI's... Sorc, Necro, hammerdin, Zon, anything that isn't melee save for a zerk barb...

*Requiem_Death

6. Spagge

IM, PI's?

Would a healadin with Salvation make it more effective or simply be over the top - in a survivalists pov? We've been thinking about a hammerdin also, but wasn't sure if the gear would be to expensive or not..

7. RequiemDeath

IM = Iron Maiden... Not the band, the curse... It reflects your own melee damage back at you... This build is more than capable of 1-shotting itself... lol This can be a huge problem, obviously...

PI = Physical Immune... These can be a pain as they can take forever to kill... Can't leech life off of them either, so this can be a problem if they are in large groups...

I'd say a healadin would be over the top, and would be rather useless in other places... They can't really do anything more than a full rejuv and life tap can (Unless we're talking hard core, in which case that might be good insurance)... Sooo, that leaves us with the hammerdin... Gearing one can be a little on the expensive side...

Personally, (and this is just my opinion) I think there are better options than a hammerdin... I don't think hammerdins are all that fun, they are a dime-a-dozen, and they cost a good bit to be omgwtfpwnage... However, they are great all around killers, and no one can deny that, otherwise there wouldn't be at least one in every public Baal run... Hammerdins can easily solo Uber Trist with some gear switches and using smite... It would be a solid choice, but many other things would be solid as well... Having more auras is always a plus, but remember that many of them can be given through runewords and mercs (Just don't use a merc in Uber Trist)...

*Requiem_Death

8. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

No they don't. Even with say wizard spike, spirit, vipermagi, lore, etc. It still kills very fast. (much faster than my blizzballer with similar equip) They are a little boring to play as it's you stand there and they die.

9. liquid_mage

liquid_mage Diabloii.Net Member

Quick question. I've watched two videos read this guide. Plus i've read the last 15 pages or so of this thread, if the has been covered I just missed it.

Do you use zeal or smite for the last 25% of the ubrs life?

10. Spectrus

Spectrus Diabloii.Net Member

If you can hit the ubers (have enough AR), then go ahead and zeal if that tickles you. Otherwise, just smite. I mean, as far as I understand, the only real reason to use smite is that it's a definite hit. If you have high enough AR I guess that's fine too. I'm not too clear on speeds, but zeal seems like it'd be pretty fast, maybe enough to offset the ubers blocking it.

But why bother switching if you've already been smiting. Just let smite finish it. If you've got a Grief pb, then the last 25% isn't much different from the first 75%.

11. AnimeCraze

The level difference means that your chance to hit won't be high even if you have lots of AR, so I would just keep smiting.

12. Spagge

Thanks for helping me getting that cleared up :)
    We're now thinking about a pb/curse necro for IM basically.

Im also not sure about what armor to use for Fortitude, nor which shield Sanctuary works best with (Im guessing monarch?)..

Thanks in advance again :D

13. UberB

UberB Diabloii.Net Member

Best armor for Fortitude would definitely be an Archon Plate (people tend to make them in Great Hauberks which is beyond me). AP has high defense, and only 103 strength requirement. You'll definitely have at least that much base strength on a zealot anyway. Also if you find a zero socket one you can Larzuk it to get four sockets.

Best shield for Sanctuary would pretty much be any elite paladin shield with high base resists already. Monarch is a no-no. If I could pick a shield I would choose Zakarum shield because of it's tight damage range. But basically choose the elite paladin shield with the highest base resists.

14. Copilot

Really you don't know? Obviously a paladin shield because they can have 35 resists on the shield alone, then the resists from sanctuary.

Gris shield is also good socketed with 3 pdiamonds gives you 102% all resist.

15. hypper

hypper Diabloii.Net Member

actually they can have 45 all res

45 + (50-70) from Sanctuary = 95 min to 115 max all res :)

16. unholybeanz

unholybeanz Diabloii.Net Member

I think a lot of people don't see how easy it is to get good resists on a shield. Sanctuary is pretty hard to get, because first you need to find an elite 3os shield with good resists,then put the runeword in. What I am using now is a gris shield. It ALWAYS comes with 45 base res, and has 3 sockets. Put 3 pdiamonds in there, and you get +102 res. 3 um runes gives you 111. This is so much easier than sanctuary and you only give up a few mods that don't help so much.

17. AnimeCraze

I say the easiest is a 35+ resist shield + 4 pdiamonds.

18. Copilot

Ko+Ko+Mal isn't hard to get, but I agree gris shield is just as good and its what I am using.

19. Copilot

So I just got a grief for my 1 point smiter and my zeal damage went from 2000 using lightsabre down to 1200 with grief. I also got a very bad roll of damage +347, I am pretty pissed about that, will trying to get another LO and cleaning out the phase blade with a hel a good idea or will 347 damage be fine?

I am hoping my character screen is lying to me because tonight I made myself a grief and fort, the grief roll sucked and the fort was good, 29 resists just one short of perf and a pretty good life/clvl roll also.

Here is a screenshot of my damage.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3925/screenshot009vx6.jpg

20. AnimeCraze

The char screen is lying, by a lot. The damage it shows is the damage with a plain phase blade (ie. the 31~35). Your real damage should easily be above 5k. Try killing some stuff and see.

And people Hel out low griefs??? I am sure some people will trade for it for a decent amount (like 1 HR), and I am quite sure that a 5os PB does not worth a HR.

Anyways, if your intention is simply to uber and PvM, even a 340 grief is sick enough.