Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] The 1pt smiter guide to Uber Tristram v 1.0.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by kingdryland, Feb 11, 2006.

1. hypper

hypper Diabloii.Net Member

1. Yes, if you use smiter equipment.
    2. Some people do nihl runs with nigma, others prefer to use druids/necromancers... I use my wind druid.

2. MikkoU

MikkoU Banned

I made 3 UT runs with my friend... it was kinda easy coz I had these resistances:
    fire-res 90, cold-res 90, light-res 95 and poison-res 90
    (used guardian angel instead of viper 35 ^^)

3. sorcguy

sorcguy Diabloii.Net Member

Glad it worked out for you MikkoU.

4. sharkfan

sharkfan Diabloii.Net Member

I have a 1pt. smiter and hes very strong, using fort, dracs, gores, grief, hoz, maras, tgods, soj and a ravenfrost, missing guill though but working on getting it. The only problem I have is that I only have about 5k ar and thats only about 70% to hit to most mobs in Hell. Now I'm only level 77 and my fanat isn't maxed but its only 5 or so points away. I think in an earlier reply kingdryland said 8k ar was good but I don't see how I'll be able to hit that. Any answers are very much appreciated.

sharkfan

5. Spectrus

Spectrus Diabloii.Net Member

The SOJ isn't particularly useful for this build. You could pick up a ring with some 100 AR or so pretty easily. But for the most part, you should use charms for attack rating. SCs go up to 36 and GCs up to 132 (I think). Coupled with the bonuses from Zeal and Fanat, the actual gain should be higher.

But note, for most monsters, Grief's ITD works, so AR doesn't even matter. Then remember that for things ITD doesn't work against, Grief (slightly) lowers their defense, so the LCS wins its name.

6. sorcguy

You have no problem at all. As Spectrus said, grief has ignore target defense. Just smite for anything you have trouble hitting. I have fort/dracs/gores/grief/ravenfrost and I've finished the game solo in hell... no sweat. I've also done organ runs and ubers numerous times. Again, no problem. I did my first uber run at lvl 79 after I finished hell difficulty. You should be ready now as soon as you finish the game.

(BTW, I use griz shield w/3 p.diamonds, anni, torch, resist ring, guillames face (which is about 10 pgems or so, and a +28 res all ammy)

7. UberB

UberB Diabloii.Net Member

Just found a decent Verdungo's from Nihlathak (guy drops the strangest things but never D-keys...oh well) and then on the next run found a Credendum from him too. So I want to know, which one is better? Verdungo's has +20 vitality and 12% DR (I think)

Rest of Gear:

Guillaumes
    Duriel's Shell
    Double Shael Heaven's light
    HoZ w/ Pdiamond
    The Cat's Eye
    Draculs
    Gore Riders
    2 x rare rings, one gives ~12% resist all and the other gives ~28% lightning and ~10% fire

Treachery is used for prebuff w/ Fade.

Add all that plus Salvation and I should have about max resists against Meph's conviction supposing I did my math right. So in that case Verdungo's would be superior. So can someone double check my math and tell me which is better?

8. Alc

Alc Diabloii.Net Member

Verdungo's is almost certainly better for your uses than Credendum. The 30-40 vit and 10-15% DR are excellent mods.

9. hypper

hypper Diabloii.Net Member

If you have max resists already, go for dungos.

10. Spagge

Spagge Diabloii.Net Member

I just liked to know if stormshield w/ P diamond is viable for poor/medium pricerange?

11. sorcguy

I would certainly go for griz shield with pdiamonds or an elite pally shield with decent base resists and 4 p. diamonds. Stormshield has low resists. A pally's "special" equipment is a shield. Why get a generic shield?

12. Spagge

Allright, I just wanted to make sure :)

Anyhow, I've gathered this so far to invest in a UT-runner:
    mal
    2x um
    3x pul
    2x lem

(+ some pul maybe)

And eqwise;
    Gores, Guillaumes, ravenfrost, 15%IAS jewel, 37%ED jewel
    GC 15% All resists
    some life sc's

What more equipment should I get with the budget I have?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  13. Spectrus

You probably want to pick up a Dracul's for Life Tap. After that, I'd want a Grief PB or something.

14. Spagge

Said and done, got draculs now :)

About PB grief, would that be a better choice compared to storm lash? I really cant tell for myself looking at their stats but anyho..

Im guessing I could get this (correct me if im wrong) for the runes I've got (traded my way to some more)
    Amu: Irongrid
    Wep: PB Grief/Storm Lash
    Armor: Duress
    Shield: Zaka (?)
    Belt: T-Gods (?)
    Gloves: Draculs [x]
    Helm: Guillaumes [x]
    Boots: Gores [x]

Would this give me a good start, doing UT's? And also, (Im guessing it's a dumb question but whatever) Will this gear let my pally gather the generic's, too?

thanks in advance

15. Spectrus

The big thing about Grief is that the +damage works for smite. It doesn't show up on the LCS but it's there. And it's enormous. Like, huge.

The only thing Storm Lash does really is Static, and that doesn't take ubers past half health (actually, anything in Hell), so you'd need open wounds and crushing blow anyway. And if you have those, you may as well take the thing that has the super-fast finish (Grief).

So if you can get it, Grief beats Storm Lash.

16. Spagge

Allright, thanks alot dude :)

17. awsker

awsker Diabloii.Net Member

I built a Grief in a phaseblade but I can't say I'm satisfied with the result. I could complete über-Tristram with much less of an effort with Heaven's Light. Something has got to be wrong. It seems I hit like 1 out of 10 Smites, either that or I do pathetic damage. Even if the enemy is life-tapped, I gain no life.

The thing is, thanks to some of my charms, I have exactly the dexterity required to use the Phase Blade (which is 136) which also happens to give me 75% chance to block with Holy Shield. Even so, the Phase Blade doesn't show on my character on other players' screens. I can see it myself and it's blue in my inventory, meaning I have the required stats to use it. I'm worried the battle.net servers don't agree, since the blade doesn't show for other players. Could that be the cause of my miserable failure or do you guys have any other idea what the cause might be?

Thanks in advance

My gear:
    Grief PB
    Duress
    Guillaume
    Mara
    Upped Zaka
    Gore Rider
    Thundergods
    Laying of Hands

18. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

No, this is what is called a glitch... It happens all the time... Ever seen a PvP Zon punch arrows at someone? It's just aesthetic... Nothing more... I'll let someone else explain how it works, but I know a good deal of people actually do thaton purpose for the "naked" look...

Your problem is your ranged based... Sometimes the target moves just a hair out of your attack range, but they are still in the frame range for an attack to be possible... Just get closer, and you'll hit... Also, don't hold the shift key down while attacking (unless you're a caster) as this will cause you to plant and fight...

Also: Why are you using LoH and not Drac's?!?! Where is your source of Life Tap? You do not need LoH if you are using Grief... Grief in a PB gives the fastest attack possible when using the fanatic aura... That extra damage to demons won't be missed with Grief as your weapon... Besides, without Life Tap, you'll die in about 1.5-2 seconds anyway, so you won't be able to test the extra damage out... Might want to shop for a wand too, so you can have that Life Tap going from the start before Drac's can actually kick in...

*Requiem_Death

19. awsker

awsker Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the reply. I actually use a Life Tap wand to tap enemies. I use Laying of Hands because of the Damage to demons. I found that I don't leech enough life, due to low damage, if I use Draculs. The weirdest thing is that I could finish each boss within the life span of one Life Tap with Heaven's Light. Now, with Grief, some bosses still live when the tap dies, which means I die. Currently, I don't see a clear benefit with Grief. I would love to have that opinion changed though.

Another question; what should I expect from the "Ignores target defense" mod? My stats page says Zeal has a 50-something percent chance of hitting enemies. I don't think ITD-mod is taken into that calculation. Any way of finding the actual hit percentage?

Thanks for any help!

20. sorcguy

I guess you should use heaven's light since you rocked with that anyway. I've done ubers numerous times with dracs and grief with fabulous results, I'm not sure why it's such a chore for you?

I don't see why things would be different between heaven's light and grief. The damage should be more with grief, the attack speed is the same.. I'm baffled?