Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The 12 Labors Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Quickdeath, May 2, 2011.

1. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

Re: The 12 Labors Tournament

champion defendor is now lvl 75. did the rest of act 5 on p1 as i hate the changes they made with the monsters.

been running meph and a little bit of baal. picked myself up a coldsteel eye cutlass which whilst slightly lower dmg is alot faster and the mods make it safer. got a tal's belt, 2 heads and you guessed it 2 tal's amulets. all my years of playing previously and i only had one.
    Also found gerke's shield which is miles better than my current rhyme but i desperately need the CBF. so no gerke's yet.

couple more gear upgrades and i'll start feeling confident to go into hell. IK belt/boot/glove combo would be nice to go with my hat but tals hat/belt will be fine once i proceed.

looking forward to patting andy

2. Wolron

Wolron Diabloii.Net Member

Dumber is now Destroyer Dumber (or should that be Dumber Destroyer?). In any case, he completed the Drifter Cavern Labor. It seemed easy (at first). He moved back from P8 to P1. He got rid of his Iron Golem and replaced him with a clay Golem. He made his mercenary put the Razortine in storage. Then he entered the Glacial trail and began avoiding stuff. No sweat. He found the Drifter Cavern entrance after searching about half the Glacial trail map. He entered the cavern (still easy). Then things became a bit trickier. The monsters were thick in there and not getting cornered was a bit of a challenge. Then he spotted the sparkling chest. He made a bee-line for it. That was a mistake! It seemed like the thing to do. Just click on the chest and take a quick portal back home. However, when the portal came up, there were so many big hairy monsters mobbing him that he could not click on the portal. Even at P1, his health began to go down. Luckily he had 12 full rejuvs. The next few seconds were spent guzzling FJs, casting new portals and then finding that the portal could not be accessed. Finally, with just four FJs left, a portal came up that was not covered by a monster. Dumber portaled out and breathed a sigh of relief.

So, now it is off to NM (cows were easy). Dumber has 20 points in Raise Skeleton, 19 points in Skeleton Mastery, 3 points in clay Golem, 6 points in Golem mastery, 1 point in Raise Skeletal Mage, 1 point in summon resist and 1 point in Amplify Damage. His equipment gives him 1 to all skills (Lore helm), 1 to summoning skills, 3 blood golem, 1 bone spear, 3 iron golem and 2 to golem mastery. This allowed him to take down Baal on P8 and have 8 skeletons survive the battle. Of course, the iron golem and the 3 skeleton mages died quickly.

Oops! Just remembered that I did not use the Larzuk socketing reward. So, one more thing to do before going on to NM. I guess it would be best to get a socket in this and add a perfect diamond to it for resistances. He already is maxed on resistance, but this will allow him to ditch a few charms.

Viper Guard Unraveller Head
    Defense: 6 Chance to Block: 28% +3 to Life
    Fire Resist +21%
    Cold Resist +17%
    Poison Resist +9%
    Adds 2-7 poison damage over 3 seconds
    Attacker Takes Damage of 1
    +3 to Iron Golem (Necromancer Only)

Hardcore
    Code:
    Forum Name       Character Name  Class      Clvl Current Location  SP? Labors
    =============================================================================
    Kestegs          AWorkingStiff   Necromancer  85 Guardian           No  12/12
    Krupa            DannyCrane      Paladin      86 Kurast Docks H     Yes  9/12
    jdkerrr          Asparagus       Paladin      74 Valley of Snakes H No   8/12
    purplelocust     Megara          Sorc         70 Harrogath NM       No   7/12
    Quickdeath       Lizzie2         Amazon       66 Harrogath NM       No   7/12
    Sint             WorkedUp        Druid        67 River of Flame NM  No   6/12
    jdkerrr          SlogTheFrog     Barbarian    43 Lut Gholein NM     No   5/12
    Wolron           Dumber          Necromancer  48 Rogue Camp NM      Yes  5/12
    Jocular          BornToFolk      Druid        33 River of Flame     Yes  3/12
    ancalagon        JabberWalk      Amazon       30 River of Flame     No   3/12
    Thaurus          Boadicea        Amazon       22 Dry Hills          Yes  1/12
    Jason Maher      Jason           Necromancer  17 Outer Cloister     Yes  1/12
    Ojimijam         Evelyn          Assassin     13 Black Marsh        No   1/12
    Eureka           Workaholic      Barbarian    4  Cold Plains        No   1/12
    Fallen Heroes
    Code:
    Forum Name       Character Name  Class      Clvl   Current Location    Labors
    JimmyOfJudecca   Heracles        Barbarian    75   Harrogath NM          7/12
    Krupa            ThisIsMalaga    Paladin      64   Plains of Despair     6/12
    Nightfish        Hammertime      Paladin      60   NM Durance II         7/12
    jdkerr           BrusselSprouts  Sorceress    51   NM Durance II         5/12
    LordMay          Stone           Barbarian    27   Diablo                2/12
    jdkerr           MrSchizo        Druid        24   Duriel                1/12
    jdkerr           Adria           Sorceress    21   Canyon of the Magi    1/12
    Quickdeath       Lizzie          Amazon        1   Corpsefire            0/12
    Softcore
    Code:
    GoldenredDragon  Vein            Paladin      28 City of the Damned No   2/12
    Jason Maher      Jacinta         Amazon       30 Kurast Docks       No   3/12
    Thaurus          TrevorTheTimid  Druid        50 Undergrd. Passage  No   4/12

3. sequana

sequana Diabloii.Net Member

This tournament is so tempting! I couldn't resist and had to join. I was pondring which character would be optimal and in the end I just decided to try amazon (poison javazon in particular), with piece of luck it could be doable. Her first task went just fine.

Hardcore
    Code:
    sequana          Hope            Amazon        7 Cold Plains        Yes  1/12
    Eureka           Workaholic      Barbarian     4 Cold Plains        No   1/12
    Fallen Heroes
    Code:
    Softcore
    Code:

4. Quickdeath

Quickdeath Diabloii.Net Member

Corax and Wolron: Well done.

Wolron - interesting problem in Drifter Canyon. Was your necro unable to cast a curse (like terror) or use melee attacks to thin the crowd? -although I can imagine that Dumber's melee attack is pretty puny. Anyway, those were certainly allowable strategies after activating the chest.

Sequana- Welcome! very glad you are joining us. I am playing an Amazon as well who uses poison as a backup skill. Lizzie is a LF/CS/Poison Javazon (she uses a spear on switch, usually with CS.) I have about 20 hard points invested in the two poison skills. I have been playing at a slow luxurious rate *Polite way to say I have been lazy* and she is in A5 Nightmare. Mostly /p7, with Bosses at /p5 when I feel timid. Certainly no problems so far, although NM Mephisto took a while to kill. Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing about your progress.

Notice: I will be out of touch (on a Carribean Cruise, whoooHooo) for the next 7 days or so. If you have questions or need a rules interpretation, go ahead and post it and I'm sure one of the participants will be able to answer it. Good luck!

5. corax

My barb now has every piece of the Tal Rasha set bar the armour, including 2 amulets.
    WTT for IK! *sad face*

Baal is fairly safe if slow to run but i might shift my attention wholly to him in the hopes of securing one of his EU weapons which will be vital to hell.

Are there any runewords which give CBF?

6. JimmyOfJudecca

JimmyOfJudecca Diabloii.Net Member

Rax, you sure you've played this game before? I could have sworn you were using a shield with this char...

7. corax

I'm currently using a rhyme tower shield. But Gerke's is better provided i can find CBF somewhere else. i found the CBF helm but my IK or tal's is better.

I never realised how could rhyme actually is as i've only really used it to nab a pit of extra MF.

8. sequana

sequana Diabloii.Net Member

@Quickdeath: Enjoy your holiday!
    I will go the other way around and put just 20 points in LF and will max poison skills with few points in jab as backup. I'm not sure how viable she will be later in this tourney, but definitely I have high expectations :).
    EDIT: And just now I read your post about killing Kaa on NM and I must say it cooled my enthusiasm down a bit..... well I hope it will be desperate fun :D.

First tower is down!

Hope went succesfully through another 2 tasks: Killing Duriel on p8 was piece of cake, merc was able to tank and with his Malice scythe also did good damage, poison finished the rest.

Hope continued on p8 setting through whole act 3 & 4 (Izual took a while naturally), Plague javelin as main atack is very powerful for now. I was worried a bit about Diablo battle, one never knows how it will turn out, so I rather lowered to p3 and was glad for that. Hope's stats with Leg in hand. And here is his doom!

Hardcore
    Code:
    sequana          Hope            Amazon       35 Harrogath          Yes  3/12
    Fallen Heroes
    Code:
    Softcore
    Code:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. Quickdeath

Quickdeath Diabloii.Net Member

I am back from vacation, all.

Sequana: Jab should be a big help with skeletons and mummys, etc. if you can find or conjure up a high-damage spear. I have been playing without any points in jab, but my Valk is getting to the point where it occasionally has high damage.

10. purplelocust

purplelocust Diabloii.Net Member

Megara completed the Caress Andarial quest, after finishing NM, doing a fair amount of MFing and Baal runs there. One trip through the Cow Level yielded no parts of the Cow King set, oh well.

Her plan was to run by monsters and hope not to have many extra fast or Holy Freeze bosses along the way, or have any roadblocks from monsters clustering. Levelling in NM Baal runs and some Mausoleum runs got her up to 84 so I figured that would help lower monster's chance to hit for the merc and her. I did find a wand with Dim Vision charges in NM but left that in the stash and I resolved not to use teleport or TP scrolls at all.

Preparing for the Caress Andarial quest was a quick trip to NM to reset the map, then an extended drinking session (stamina potions, thawing potions and antidote potions) complete with taking off of (some) clothes (just her orb and gloves!)

The monster rolls were: Cat 2: tainted, fallen, spiders Cat 3: tainted, vampires and ghouls. The main thing I was worried about were vampires for the chasing and tainted for following and blocking. Tainted and vampires were not a good roll, and some with cold damage could have been a problem. Ghouls were a good roll on that front, easy to run by and not blocking exits. One scary bit was there were extrafast vampire packs, and cursed something packs, so that added some urgency. But no overlapping aura packs, which I'd been concerned about: Fanaticism and Holy Freeze in the same area would have been serious trouble. There was one Blessed Aim pack- I think that was the only aura enhanced pack I ran into en route.

I had thought that having done many many Andarial runs I would have a good sense of finding the stairs down quickly, but I ended up running through almost all of Cat 2 and much of Cat 3 before getting down to Cat 4. I ran up to Andarial and caressed/slapped her a bit before running back to the stairs and up to Cat 3 to equip gear back and then return to manage easily. I did forget to give the merc his weapon back before stepping back down, but that wasn't a crucial mistake as it went smoothly.

I went back to the Cat 2 WP and worked back down to kill all those monsters who had dared to chase earlier, particularly the extrafast ones and the cursed ones.

I anticipate revisiting Andarial many times to MF gear before proceeding onward, as well as some Countess and levelling runs. My strategy has been "safety through being overlevelled" and hopefully it continues to work.

Hardcore
    Code:
    purplelocust     Megara          Sorc         84 Lut Gholein H      No   8/12
    Fallen Heroes
    Code:
    Softcore
    Code:

11. pwangsta

pwangsta Diabloii.Net Member

Hi folks! I'm back to playing D2 again and ready for some tourney action. Sins don't seem to be getting much love in this tourney and they are one of my favorite classes to play in HC, so please allow me to present Labors, the world's best assassin! (in training xD). In order to graduate from Assassin Academy, she must pass all 12 of these labors and prove her courage, wit, and stealth. Having come from an underprivileged background (she survived by her wits and skill alone on the rough streets of Lut Gholein until she picked the pocket of a Guild member who recognized her potential), Labors is used to sneaking around defenseless. As such, the first task was a breeze and she passed without breaking a sweat. Next up, some towers. Those shoddy, oversized paperweights won't know what hit'em!

Hardcore
    Code:
    purplelocust     Megara          Sorc         84 Lut Gholein H      No   8/12
    pwangsta         Labors          Assassin      1 Cold Plains        Yes  1/12

Fallen Heroes
    Code:
    Softcore
    Code:

12. purplelocust

The Towers in Hell didn't put up much of a fight so Megara has completed the last part of the task of persistence. That was on /players 8 - static gives the first half of the tower quickly, but unfortunately they are immobile so no Fire Wall and instead it's orb after orb to finish. Duriel and the first part of A3 went quite quickly, and one of the council members was kind enough to drop a Reaper's Toll for the merc to use, so that bodes well for the endless Meph running I have planned for her to flesh out more gear options. I've actually started thinking about her as in her own 1.13 bubble, working on her own grail, which will hopefully make her gear-building and MF runs more manageable. She did run Andy a few times but I decided it would make more sense to invest that time in eventual Meph runs, as those Andy runs are actually on the dangerous side with some potentially nasty boss combos down there. Megara will prefer the more solitary hunting of Mephisto, I believe...

Hardcore
    Code:
    purplelocust     Megara          Sorc         86 Travincal   H      No   9/12
    pwangsta         Labors          Assassin      1 Cold Plains        Yes  1/12

Fallen Heroes
    Code:
    Softcore
    Code:

13. purplelocust

Not much to report progress-wise on the tasks, but lots of progress on the character. She's now sturdy enough for fast safe Meph runs with at least some MF, so she's been running Meph a lot and building up a gear pool for herself as well as quite a range of characters. Somehow this character has turned into a mini-restart in 1.13 for me! After around a couple hundred Meph runs, she had the Oculus drop, which has been working well for more Meph runs and also boosted her MF. In my experience, the Oculus works well for Meph- he's pretty much by himself and a random tele isn't going to send her into trouble. Her grail was at 23% entering Hell and now stands at about 27% and has been rising still nicely with more Meph runs. I have a great Meph map now (except for the council on the peninsula problem) and I'm loathe to give it up for LK runs- this map has just one campfire. I may regear at some point for Trav runs as well. I also took a break from Meph runs to quest quickly through to the River of Flame, and got a Gul as a Forge drop, first time in a while!

14. purplelocust

Meph is getting sick of seeing Megara every 90 seconds or so for hours on end, but Megara is happily building a big pile of HC gear and chipping away at her own grail. She's now at level ** and has reached 35% on her own grail.

15. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Nice level :)

Also a Grail at 35% in a tournament where you can't use any of it is crazy :crazyeyes:

16. purplelocust

She can use her found equipment- the only remaining task that has an equipment restriction is the Blister Lister one with MF required, and she's getting a fair amount of that already (and she'll be overjoyed to make it past the Ancients if she can.) At this point, she is pretty well-equipped, nearly as much as if she had been twinked, but it has been a much longer, more careful road. That doesn't mean that this isn't crazy, though! And if she dies, her efforts will be appreciated by other 1.13 HC characters. And the level is part of her "progress through being overleveled" plan.... I'd like the merc to be high enough level to survive the Ancients for a while, so leveling is a bigger deal for him than her I think at this point.

17. kestegs

Oops...

Guess I'm in too many tournaments, I was thinking this was the craftsman's one.

I think having a strong gear base will be pretty important for any sorc in this tournament, so it's still smart.

18. Wolron

Wolron Diabloii.Net Member

Fire Tower Missing?

I am playing my Necro (Dumber) in NM Act 2. I have reached the Lost City and immediately found and destroyed a fire tower by the entrance to the Viper Temple. I then searched the entire area (the entire lost city map as well as the temple area) several times without finding another tower. What should I do? I could save/exit and then replay that area to destroy the tower a second time. Yes, that is what I will do. But, let me know if there is some other solution. I tried searching the thread for some help on this but could not get anything except that someone discovered this on Normal Difficulty where it is not really an issue (you only need one tower there:thumbup:).

19. kestegs

Just s&e and kill the same tower again, that's really the only option if there isn't more than one.

20. purplelocust

Megara continues her MFing with occasional breaks to quest forward. CS and Diablo went smoothly. She even put a Wirts Leg on switch and took an enchanted swing at Diablo (almost certainly missing) to remind her of her earlier task in Normal. She quested A5 up to Malah's scroll which will improve gear/charm options somewhat. Meph has now dropped two Ormus' Robes, but not particularly useful skill wise ones: +3 Chilling Armor and +3 Glacial Spike. The +cold damage% rolls are 10 and 11. Still it is something to think about. And Meph has dropped exactly one facet, a quite nice cold +5/-4. One problem with this untwinked MFing is a shortage of socket quests- usually an MF character of mine has happily gotten other characters to punch holes throughout her gear for her.