Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

That was freaky

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Dawnmaster, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

That was freaky

As some of you know, I'm keeping my D2 profile very low atm, just popping in once every week to keep some mules from expiring, and trying a hardcore character to get back into the game, keep my touch, and wait for the ladder to reset.

Now, a few days ago, I was moving my special computer light (some sort of plasma bol) so instead of decorating my case, I'd be ontop of my keyboard.

Instantly, my sound just got disconnected, which I found weird (and haven't been able to fix ever since, I've had and used the damn light for over 3 years now, never had any problems)

And when I tried to connect to bnet, I kept getting, wrong password. At this point, I was sweating, what the hell happened? I know I haven't visited any websites, didn't download anything at all, use difference account/passwords on all D2 related stuff and never even typed in passwords etc, I just stay logged in at everything at every time.

Then, while I was wondering what was going on, I suddenly saw my cursor typing out of itself, my password was filling in by it's one... There were no programs running, not even on the background or between processes, the virus scanner didn't found anything, and it kept going, even after I shut down the internet (opened a notepad screen, it kept typing rubbish)

Now at this point I had no clue anymore, so I shut down my pc, went down to eat, and was hoping that my computer with work after a few hours of inactivity (worked before)
    So after dinner, I go back, turn the thing on, and the instant I'm in windows and open up any screen (notepad for example) it started typing again.

Frustrated like hell, I was preparing to shut my computer down again and call a few mates to come over and check it.
    So I turn down my special plasma light first, and when I glance at the screen, wanting to turn of notepad, I notice my computer stopped typing by itself.
    I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so sure enough, I turned my light back on, and it started typing again, on and off a dozen times, until I finally accepted what I was seeing.

So at this point, I haven't turned my light back on again, and I haven't been able to activate my sound again (software works fine, soundcard works fine, boxes work fine, only thing I can think of, is that a wire is loose somewhere, but they all seem fine to me)

Anyone any idea on how to explain this? Why would my computer start typing by itself when I turn a plasma light on? And why would my sound deactivate itself when I get the light out of the case, I've had my computer for like 6 years now, the light only for 3 years (and upgraded most parts last year)

2. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath IncGamers Member

The answer is quite obvious... Your light is haunted by a ghost that doesn't know how to use a QWERTY keyboard set up... When the light is on, the electrically charged plasma acts as a catalyst for a physical manifestation of "solid" ectoplasm... This plasma opposite in the sense that we know it, is really nothing more than an inverted antimatter like conversion that we see as paranormal activity, or as we've come to call it, "ectoplasm"... So, with matter and antimatter, energy and dark energy, we also have plasma and ectoplasm... *rolls out the chalk board*

For real, that has to be the oddest thing I've ever heard... :shocked:

The only educated guess (however, in all honesty the above bull **** makes more sense) that I can come up with is that it is a static recording of your keystrokes... Keyboards use an electric charge, and they do build up static sometimes from us touching them after dragging our feet across the carpet or whatnot... Most of the time, the keyboard will just quit working... The fix to this is simply unplugging the keyboard, waiting for a few seconds/minutes and plugging it back in... 97% of the time, it works again...

I can only imagine that a similar thing happened here, but with this kind of light being near, the light was able to force random electronic signals through the circuit board... It would be like a switch being broke, so that no matter how many times you flip it on or off, it always remains on... Thus, removing the source of the problem, removes the problem itself...

Just a guess... :brainiac: <---lol

*Requiem_Death

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

your light could be causing interference with your keyboard cable if its not shielded very well
    if its a flourescent light they use high voltage which is known to cause interference
    have you tried separating them a little farther?

and it might have hit the windows keys that adjust your sound volumes
    double click on the speaker and see if ther all unmuted and turned up to appropriate levels
    how is the light powered? is it usb/or its own power supply?

4. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

I swear, the whole time I was waiting for the: "And it turns out that the light had been sitting on the keyboard and my jiggling it had caused it to press keys"...way to ruin my hopes and dreams.

I gotta say though, if that happened to me I would probably run screaming from the room, not turn off my computer and walk calmly away.

5. Dawnmaster

Point 1: I kinda figured that as well, but why now all of the sudden (before I brought it closer to my keyboard) it's been fine for years? And evenso, isn't it supposed to be shielded against these kind of interference?

Point 2: I feel so retarded now, I bet the random key pushes deactivated the sound somehow (explorer did weird things as well), thanks for this (rather easy) lifesaver!

Point 3: the light is connected to the cables where the power of my harddrives/cdroms flow through, it is an innercase connector only (so I guess it would be similar to USB, but it is simply next in line to the drives)

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

they should have used a better shielding on your keyboard, but if the light is that close, it might cause problems

on the hd power cable yellow is 12v, red is 5v, black is ground
    if it shorted out the light wouldnt work and bad things could happen to your computer or power supply

does it use a transformer or have noise filters near the ends of the cable?

7. Dawnmaster

About the colors, can't help you there, since I'm colorblind.

About the transformer: yes, the Current cable from my hard drives is connected to a little case (which I suspect is the transformer, since the cable from my computer to it enters DirectC, and on the other end, where my light is connected to it, it is AlternateC)

For the record: I'm using an AZERTY keyboard, my old Commodore still has QWERTY though.

I know more or less how the light interferes with my keyboard, and it's a damn shame, I'd have really liked it if flashy white and blue lights decorated my keyboard.

8. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

When you was talking to plasma light, actually you mean neon light, right?

Apple sold his iPods with virus inside, maybe you lamp also comes with virus in option :smiley: .... no I'm just kidding, but teoreticaly possible.

Yeah, interferences, microwaves, wifi, radiowaves and etc now all goes in waves

When my girlfriend heats food in microwave my wifi connection speed drops from 54Mbit to 11Mbit :laugh:

9. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

So that's why my laptops connection is always slow!

Except that it usually runs at 1mbps.... and maybe 11 if I'm lucky. It used to go at 56... but...

10. Dawnmaster

Nope, it's a real plasma light, a clear tube with fractions of lightning going through, just like the bols. (iirc Neon lights are just electrons going up and down certain atomic levels causing cheap light outburst? Plasma is a complete different form, more like complete loose electrons and atoms without any electrons at all orso?)

It looks kinda like this. But in a small clear glass cilinder, and only pure blue/white lightning.

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Lightning ? That sounds like producing electromagnetic radiation from radio frequencies up to ultraviolet (no, you won't get a sunburn or cancer from it :azn: ) and if it isn't shielded, I wouldn't be surprised if it interferes with a poorly shielded cable or the circuit board of your keyboard when it comes too near to it.

I'm not an expert about it, but if you have a cordless keyboard, it will probably work with low voltages and amperages, as it's battery-driven, which means that induced currents on the circuit board might have a greater effect for them.

I'm just guessing a little, as I don't know about the strength of the mentioned effects. Anyway, we agree there is a coincidence between that lightning thing and your keyboard and that distance is a factor.

12. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

it probably uses high a/c voltage and static to create the light, similar to neon
    either way its drawing power from your computers power supply which can cause loads of interference if its not filterd properly, it would be best to use a seperate power supply just for the light

13. Dawnmaster

Actually no, it is real plasma, I can vouch for that.

An easy way to test if it's just light emission, be it neon or radiation or whatever, or real plasma, is to go get a broken neon lamp, if you hold it near the plasma, it'll get some sort of energy transfer, and any broken lamp will start working again (nomatter how broken they are)
    If you try the energy transfer with a neon lamp, you won't get any results.

Plasma occurs in a vacuum object where at one point there is energy. And it just goes in all directions which it can go to.
    In the bol, the center generates energy, and it flies in all directions on the bol itself, if you touch the bol, you "suck" up the energy and allmost all beams instantly go to the touch point.
    In my tube, one side generates energy, and it flies in all directions through the tube, the other end is just a closed glass cilinder, nothing to attract or conduct or whatever. The closer you bring the light to something, the more active the beams get, because the have more points to guide energy too.

Extra: by using radiation you can generate plasma ("lightning/fire/..."), I've heard (never tried) about an experiment regarding Aluminum foil and a microwave, but I'm not sure if that's all, or you need anything else.

14. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Deal with the sound first, and get that light completely out of the area. If the speaker icon (says 'Volume' when mousing over) appears in the systray and the Device Manager doesn't have a problem with it, there could've been a 'mute' signal sent. Try the volume/unmute and speaker/headphone cables, as that's your best bet if the icon/Device Manager are operating properly.

15. Dawnmaster

Well, if you glance at the reply that was made by me on "21-11-2006, 13:17", that's 2 and a half days ago, I already got the answer there, and fixed my sound then :rolleyes:

I've also put the light back in the case (where it actually belongs :grin: )

16. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

good idea, if it has any shielding it will help alot :laugh: