Tesladin vs. Regular Fanatic Zealot

TheoriginalTank

Diabloii.Net Member
Tesladin vs. Regular Fanatic Zealot

I've read a number of builds and have a few questions. The Fanaticism/zealot points are self-explanatory and I understand the use of Holy shield, but why put one point into smite?

Also, I imagine there are some people out there who have used both Tesladin and the regular fanatical zealot and I was wondering which one they prefer.

I have no equipment worth mentioning, so whichever build I use has to be able to stand on his own two feet without all the sweet toys.

I'm messing around with a level 46 zealot'ish build now, but his lack of resistances leads to multiple deaths in nightmare. I also have a level 20 Pal with most skill points unallocated, just a few in zeal.

Any insight is appreciated.:thumbup:

TheoriginalTank

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tesladin vs. Regular Fanatic Zealot

Oh, I forgot to mention that I love to get right in the middle of battles. So, FOH, or Holy Bolt, of BH are not really too appealing. Just in case anyone suggests this.

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member

A fana zealot would have greater flexibility with mediocre gear because the aura adds damage/AR/speed, whereas Holy Shock only adds damage. On the other hand, you could probably beat the game with a normal phase blade with a tesladin because Holy Shock adds straight damage. Fanaticism requires at least a decent weapon (ie something you could knock out of Hell Meph eventually - like Butcher's Pupil) because its damage is percentage based.

You could make a fana/holy shock hybrid without losing much from either side.

20 Fana
20 Sacrifice
5 Zeal
20 Holy Shock
20 Resist Lightning
1 Holy Shield

From there you could go in a couple different directions. Salvation to boost Holy Shock. Zeal to boost overall AR. Holy Shield to lower dex required for max block.

Oh yea, people put one point in smite because it's excellent for killing bosses. It always hits, so it's a great way to apply crushing blow.

LongingForDeath

Diabloii.Net Member

Smite is also a prereq for Holy Shield, so... if you want Holy Shield, you'll have to put a point into Smite, anyway.

saellison

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't have too much experience with PvM zealots, but I would assume the tesladin would be better provided you don't have great gear to start with. The tesladin is less gear dependent in terms of his weapon. Crescent Moon makes a great weapon for a Tesladin and is fairly cheap with an um rune being the most expensive rune needed. If you have good gear I would go with fanatic zealot.

XtremeTiramisu

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with some points and disagree with some points as well.
Building a thrilling and fun Tesladin/Avenger is the reason why I continued playing on the new ladder after I read literally all the avaliable guides on Tesladins and Avengers here.

First, I started out building an Avenger and no more than one day, I decided to forgone this route. Why? Avenger is a type of build that's quite mana intensive and kills VERY slow. Please keep in mind that we're in the initial stage on ladder so your best equipments that you can find is consider as "junk" in the last ladder. Every essencial popular demanded uniques like Shako, Wartravler, Occulus are highly inflated in price as of right now I'm typing this reply; whereas, the same uniques only cost less than half as much from the last ladder season. Therefore, that's the reason why you're not going to afford somewhat a reasonable gear to make you "survivable" in hell mode difficulty. Without adequete gears, you're going to have a hell of a hard time to solo and we all know by going solo in hell is the best way to MF becouse you are certainly not dumb enough to want to volunteer or invite anonymous players to your party for MF unless they're your trusted good friends in REAL LIFE.

Back to topic, the Avenger build I forgone is based on two main reasons: (1) It's quite mana intensive in the early stage of ladder. (2) The main attack skill is Vengence which is considered as a normal attack skill in terms of attack speed; therefore, you'll hit slower with not enough IAS equipment in the early stage of ladder. (3) It's very less potent in crowd control unlike Zeal as another type of main melee physical attack skill.
One and the best reason of Avenger is that literally NO ENEMIES is immune to his skill. However consider that positive statement versus 3 negative statements in the early ladder, it's clearly not a good choice for starting character on ladder. So Avengers are very gear dependant character.

Now Tesladins! Indeed, that's my current Paladin build on the ladder and it's certainly better than Avenger, but there more to that....
You'll find the experience to be more fun, less frustrated, and less time in actually killing the enemies. However, this kind of exhilarating experience doesn't last long for me unfortunately. Like I've found out about Avenger build, Tesladin is also quite gear dependant!! Everything just WENT TO HELL in HELL difficulty. I know everyone has their perfect game plan before starting out your character. I certainly did and I thought about I'm going to get him this rune word and that rune word and this kind of skill distribution to make him more viable than Avenger in the initial stage on ladder...well, things doesn't quite work out as well for the following reasons:
(1) Although it's not mana intensive like Vengence, your holy shock dmg added to your physical attack and the holy shock light dmg are fairly useless. Especially the holy shock light damage part of the holy shock aura, it's only a preety eye sight to your eyes without actually do any good in hell difficulty. I'm not talking about light immunes only but even those enemies are NOT light immune, my LEVEL "25" holy shock is a joke against even Act 1 enemies.....let along if you want to do more later on. The physical attack such as the Zeal skill I use in combination with Holy Shock aura is like a half *** job on both side. Why do I say that? Becouse you're neither a true melee NOR a true elemental "damage dealer." A true melee damage dealer would certainly want as many +% Damage aura such as Might + Concentration + Fanatacism such as an awsome godly Bowazon I've built. Tesladin has to forgone most choices of offensive auras that I've mentioned. As a elemental damage dealer, Holy Shock aura along is quite a joke compare to a true PURE light sorc in terms of damage per K as in thousands...Sure I can take back what I just said in my previous sentence in...6 month later after the starting of this ladder? I can even argue against myself saying you can get Infinity...what weapon to sue what armor to wear ...but think of the total cost to make a Tesladin viable in hell mode = SEVERAL HIGH RUNES..
Tesladins are also gear dependant but he kills more efficiently than Avenger as of now.

While I'm still in the current stage of feeling extremely sick and disgusted playing Hammerdin cos I have spend more than enough time to make him superb godly with absolutely perfect rune words and uniques that I don't want to do it ALL OVER again in this ladder. However, Hammerdin IS the only best build for Paladin to start out for a TOTAL AREA "SOLO" run. That's the reason why I challenged myself to try different paladin builds as they're my favorite class of all.
From my experience, if Hammerdin was your first Paladin build, chances are you're not going to have the same kind of awsome experience you had with hammerdins if you go with another build like I've mentioned earlier. All my opinions are based on your current affordability and ability to aquire the necessary equipment for your particular build to work. 6 month from now....I can vouch that all 3 kinds of Pal build can be devastating and fun to play!

XT

Garisdacar

Diabloii.Net Member

i usually go with Holy Frost zealot as my first build on a ladder, the slowing effect of holy frost makes it effective even on immunes, and you get to use a more effective act 2 merc: blessed aim, might, or defiance. (i use blessed aim) and usually they have a great killing speed through the early stages of hell if you can pick up like a lightsaber and make a decent Spirit pally shield. anyway, that's my exp.

and yeah, almost every zealot (most paladins, in fact) have that 1 point in smite b/c it's a prereq for holy shield. some ppl use it as a boss-killing skill if they have high crushing blow, but usually only if they use fanatacism, b/c iirc the elemental damage from the holy auras doesn't transfer to smite (not sure on that though).

XtremeTiramisu

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with you Garisdacar that building a Zealot with Holy Freeze combine with his an offensive aura Merc such as might (my personal choice) would be more viable than Tesladin/Zealot + Holy Freeze merc for starting out.

Maybe I'll give that a try but for now I very much enjoy playing my new Necro at level 80 as of now. Yes, he can easily solo in hell and I can almost forget the pain I said about gear dependancy for melee characters in the first week of ladder. It's really not a good choice to make close combat melee characters in the first week of later without half decent to decent equipments. Not only that you kills slow but you're constantly expose your weak a s s in close combat situation.

That's the reason why I switched to Necro and I think he'll be my main character that I'm going to make him all godly like my hammerdin from last ladder.
Sorc is another options but there are just way too many sorc in every game and I consider myself as a unique individual in real life, well, who doesn't? :)

prion

Diabloii.Net Member

i also tried a pure tesladin and it wasn't much fun, between AR problems and crescent moon not doing enough phys damage and the number of lightning immunes. I suggest some sort--any sort--of hybrid unless you always know what your group will be, or have the right gear to fix all the above problems.

Ed from Russia

Diabloii.Net Member

A pure zealot (with Fanat) does awesome damage but needs the right gear to be optimal and to handle PIs. A Tesladin (or Frost Zealot) can handle any situation with pretty cheap equipment.

Don't mix the two - simply get Stormlash if you want some Lightning damage (Static!). Or if you're rich get both auras with one of the following:
- Single or Dual Dream on a Fanat Zealot
- Beast on a Tesladin (not ideal because you won't get skill bonuses from the weapon)

XtremeTiramisu

Diabloii.Net Member

what's the point of dual dream as in both helm and shield?
I wonder how the + light dmg to your weapon and + light dmg from two level 15 holy shock aura stacks?