Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tesladin issues

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Artagas, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Artagas

Artagas Diabloii.Net Member

Tesladin issues

yeah, yet another "help me building my char" thread from me, i am diverting my attention among a little too many minions at the moment, but lets just say it is an "experience with the game" phase for me to find out what suits me the best.

either way, here it is. I will max shock/LR right away, and salvation too as i go, though not immediately after the first two. Now there is those points left. I like the idea of pumping zeal more than having holy freeze or vengeance, since zeal will be a skill i always use and not just a backup thing (all i need is a semi-decent swap weapon so it is even more effective against LIs). So let's assume i do that. That still leaves some points if i hit a high level. I have two different plans:

1) sacrafice. maybe raising it a bit prior to spending points in salvation, depending on how my phys dam scales up. i might not ever have killer phys dam without fanaticism, but still it is useful, and helps leeching.
    2) not even maxing zeal, just raising it to decency and putting a bunch of points into holy shield and going for an "iron" approach. now this raises some gear issues. The only Um i have will go into the CMoon phase blade so stone for now is out of question (unless i lay my hands on another Um somehow). Upping GA is an option but would force me to have crazy high base str, which is not desirable at the least. Upping HoZ won't do much (and i am not swimming in runes anyhow). At high levels i can wear metalgrid, but other than that i don't see any real good source of defense.
    Also i am concerned about the AR despite the ITD. I don't see many good sources (other than Angelic ring/ammy...eh...last resort), my skills don't give a huge boost, and not sure how i am going to be hitting bosses and such.

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer Diabloii.Net Member

1. As every tesladin out there, you will use a CmPb. The physical damage on it is piss poor, and that extra points in sacrifice won't change it, so don't bother. I used a high CB/damage weapon switch with 1 point in fanatcism to kill LI's.

2. You will have serious ar issues, even with maxed zeal. True you have ITD, but I still like to be able to hit everything. Max zeal and hire a BA merc should give you enough ar to pass the game. I used a gloom archon, and with the rest of points in HS I have over 10k def.

Don't worry about it too much, I beat the whole game with tesladin on P8 all the way (forgot to turn it down at ancients :p ), and didn't have much trouble.

3. whomhead

whomhead Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say get a high slvl Holy Shield - it will be very useful and will save points in dexterity. Also, if you run into AR problems and don't want to use a BA Merc, you can max Blessed Aim for the passive increase to AR - I believe its 10% per level, but someone will be along to affirm/deny that soon.

I agree with NSX - don't bother maxing Sacrifice since the physical damage is negligible.

4. Hiedran

Hiedran Diabloii.Net Member

Don't go with sacrifice. Low phys dmg means that you don't have to be as alert for IM. Though given the generally large resists (~50%) of act bosses, having alternate damage might help. (20 Zeal with 20 Sacrifice is +336% dmg.)

HS is a great skill since it also increases your def as well as saving dex so you can have more vit.

ITD doesn't work on act bosses, so make sure you can still hit stuff without it.

When I go with my Tesladin, I'll be toting a HF merc for multi-elemental damage fun!

5. Artagas

Artagas Diabloii.Net Member

Your Tesladin has a hidden patriarch thread somewhere? I searched but all i found was a fanatic zealot guardian. (congrats, btw :p )
    How did you actually spend those spare points? If as you say the phys dam is "piss poor", than i can get away with 1 point in zeal...and have a whole bunch left.
    I don't like gloom, because it would overwrite more beneficial curse effects. (not like i could make one)
    BA merc...uh..serious? I will consider it i guess. since i really want ravenfrost, the angelic set is not a real option...so you might be right.

6. Hiedran

Hiedran Diabloii.Net Member

Probably more like 4 points in Zeal unless you've got at least +3 skills already. (Zeal doesn't hit 5 hits until slvl4.)

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer Diabloii.Net Member

I didn't think it was worth a thread since it really didn't take much effort. :)

off the top of my head I maxed zeal (mostly for the ar), Hshock, resist lighting, Hshield, 5 or so in salvation, and 1 pt in fanatcism. Final ar is something like 5k normal, 8k with merc, and 9kish with fanatcism.

Blessed aim only gives 5% bonus per point, so 20 points for 100% is really not worth it to me.

8. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

demon's limb is a decent weapon for switch. Just quickly switch over and use a enchant charge and switch back. Now you have fire AND lightning dmg.

And as someone said before, don't put any points in sacrifice or zeal (unless you REALLY want to) because IM will cut you down real fast.

9. Howitzer Al

Howitzer Al Diabloii.Net Member

I started out with a BA merc with my Tesladin, but the only times I needed him were against champs & bosses which were also the times that he died quickly. I went with Holy Freeze merc after that IIRC.

Also, a couple of other possible AR solutions are: Widowmaker on switch (for guided arrow) or a 6-socketed phase blade with 4-6 Eths and Shaels in whatever sockets you have left.

10. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark Diabloii.Net Member

I've got a Tesladin at lvl 77 right now. If you are having AR problems use an Atlantian (shael) on the switch. Who cares about the physical damage and you get 50% AR bonus and +2 skills with great Strength, Dex and Vit. Great weapon. I used it as my main until I recently came upon a Heaven's Light. :D I'd like to use a CmPb but I have no UM and no Phase Blade. :rolleyes: