Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tesladin help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by nSin, Mar 4, 2004.

1. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

Tesladin help

Hi,

I've heard lots about a so called "tesladin" or "shock trooper" and decided to make one, he's level 18 now and going speed. I've read the guide from the sticky but I still have a few questions.

I had a build in mind, wich would be something like this

20 Holy Shock
    20 Sacrifise
    20 Conviction
    20 Resist Lit
    5 Zeal (rest in zeal at later levels, or salvation?)

I'd be using Cresecent Moon Zerker + HoZ on first wepaon slot, and Gimmershred + Tiamats on switch, pared with conviction and zeal, would this be enough to kill lit immunes? Or should I go for either fanat or holy freeze instead?

Also, how should I solve AR problems? should I max zeal instead of sacrifise (going for AR instead of damage, it gives quite good AR but lacking in the dmg department). I'm using a Blessed Aim merc right now, so dont have much problems hitting, but I prefer to be able to hit hell monsters without my merc. Also I prefer not to use the angelic ring + ammy combo since those spots could have a better use.. Offcourse, if the conviction combo works then I'd have less problems because of the -def, but still I'd like to hit with holy shock too... I've heard that blessed Aim has a passive AR bonus too, would this work better?

Last question, I made a Crescent Moon Zerker, and for this build, I think a Phase Blade would have been better, I dont know any calculators so thats why I ask it here, how much ias would I need for 5 fpa or 4 fpa zeal, and/or would I be better off with phase blade this way?

If everythings allready said, can somebody please be so kind to link me to the thread with the info in it?

~Naz

2. Dementor

Dementor Banned

There's alot of waste in your build. Conviction, for example; in 1.09 "flashing" conviction was viable before going at them with shock or whatever, but now it doesnt last long enough; better to mave a buddy make a convictionadin of some sort.

Also, you pump sac for the zeal synergy I assume, but be warned, without fanat, you'll be very dissapointed in your physical damage, regradless of how many points you put here. It's all or nothing with this build. Don't worry about sac until way later.

My Shocktrooper is like this:

20 Holy Shock Your main damage source.
    20 Vengance A great source of varied types of damage, good AR.
    20 Resist Lighting A synergy to shock and vengance
    20 Salvation A synergy to shock and vengance
    The rest will go into sac.

Let me explain the main point of vengance here: there elemental auras and vengance are the only group of skills in the game where the synergy from even one skill will apply to two skills which are capable of damaging at the same time. Plus, lightning immunes fall easy prey to it, so you won't need special "spectral" gear to deal with them.

Also, don't worry too much about the lightning immunes; the most dangerous of these deal lightning damage, which you won't have a problem with; when you run into them, pop on Resist Lightning (for that sweet 95 resist it gives you) If you use lightsabre, they'll actually heal you.

Utility Skills: 1 point wonders, so to speak

Zeal: While I maxed out vengance, zeal is more often my main attack versus easy kills, just for it's conservative mana cost. +to skills brings this to 5 hits easy.

Holy Shield: Easily get up to max block, and nice def as well. You won't be leaching much, so this is vital.

My weapon:

I use lightsabre for ITD, and for how quickly it attacks, as well as the mana steal. The other mods are gravy.

He's a level 84 in Hell right now, and can solo baal runs fairly well, if a bit slowly.

3. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

good point about sac, I havent tested it, the points I've allready put in there must be wasted then.

Anyway, the point of conviction wasnt for flashing, more for my switch weapon (tiamats and gimmershred) to deal lots of tri elelmental dmg with a quick zeal.

Vengeance is nice, very , but it lacks a bit in crowd control doesnt it?, and for the non lit immunes I would have the combo I mentioned earlier... I'm just not sure if thats enough damage, it prob. isnt by far.

All other suggestions are offcourse welcome

4. Dementor

Dementor Banned

Well then, you've got 20 skill points set aside for a skill only used on light immunes, and will never signifigantly add to the effectivness via synergies or otherwise, with your other skills which seems foolish, when compared to vengance, which is also very useful to take down bosses (your AR is going to suck with zeal, and ITD won't work on bosses)

Also, since the most dangerous lighting immunes later on deal heavy lighting damage, you'll want to be able to use Resist Lightning just to survive, so conviction won't be an option, where Vengance is aura-independant.

Conviction is a good skill, but maxing it just to boost item-based elemental damage is wasteful.

5. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

With Berserker Axe:
    65% IAS to reach 5 fpa.
    200% IAS to reach 4 fpa.

With Phase Blade:
    75% IAS to reach 4 fpa.

For a Tesladin, speed is the key and not the weapon damage. You will deal 6K max lightning damage no matter what weapon you use. So you need to deal that damage as quick as possible and a PB provides you that quickness you need.

6. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

There is not questions about it, for a Tesladin speed is of the essence thats why phase blade are best used. In fact any fast weapon with IDT will do the trick. You can get a wand with IDT with other various interesting mod and it will work find.

ITD weapon also allows you not to worry to much about your attack rating. It works on most monsters but Boss and maybe champions. There is a huge advantage about dumping points in sacrifice instead of zeal and it's leech.

Like it was suggested, I wouldn't dump 20 in conviction just a few point there should suffice when paired with vengeance, it's a skill to fall back on but not your main attack.

Imo a couple of points in vengeance is enough, at slvl 20 its pretty mana intensive and will require a good amount of leech plus a heavy physical damage weapon.

For more details you can consult the Tesladin guide in the guide section there is a link there.

Check that link for speed calculator :

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

7. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

Hmm ok, sounds fair, crescent moon has ITD anyway, and this way, I would be able to hit most monsters... however, what about the uniques and champions? They arent exactly rare in hell difficulty. And it would be nice if my paladin could hit bosses too..

So that leaves me with a question, should I max zeal for the ar I really need against bosses, max sac, or max vengeance/or its synergies.

I'm sure I'll have

20 Salvation
    20 Holy Shock
    20 Res Light
    5 Zeal
    1 Vengeance

so that leaves me with about 25 skillpoints left for lvl 80, I'm thinking zeal would be a good idea but... the AR bonus isnt exactly that great. Offcourse I can also use lavagouts, or demon limb, also use a metalgrid + raven or so I dont know.. just brainstorming. I do know that you need a crazy high amount of AR to hit hell Baal or hell Diablo, so how did you guys solve this?

8. Feydr

Feydr IncGamers Member

What which solves the problem best for my tesladin is switching to baranars/tiamats and using conviction (1skillpoint) against the bosses which I have trouble hitting at all with CM

9. alexisonfire

alexisonfire IncGamers Member

10. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

actually, yes that helps a lot, can you give me an idea of what you attack rating is like? And do you have many items that boost it?

11. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

If you have ar problems you can always carry in your stash an Angelic ring/ammy. Those 2 items paired give a huge attack rating bonus. You can probably get them for cheap.

12. Feydr

Feydr IncGamers Member

dont remember my AR, but I'll check it out later, dont have any items besides the itd on the CM that boosts my AR.

13. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

I can think of another reason to boost conviction but not necessarily max it. If he is using gimmer/tiamets on his switch he would have no ar problems, and against the IM curse he could chill and kill them from a distance. I just started a similar charactor with HF instead of shock. I've liked a ranged attack on my weapon switch on lot's of charactors and this has saved my bacon more then once. Switch to walk retreat a few steps hit them with some kind of chill Then run like hell. Even a 2 second chill works quaff a potion rinse and repeat. Not to mention the combined elemental damage from gimmer + tiamats is nothing to sneeze at and gives a 2 second chill in hell by themselves. The icing on the cake IMHO is mana cost of vengence vs. throwing or even zealing in his weapon switch.

Just my $1.98 worth (old $.02 with inflation factored in)
    This round is on me. :drink: :buddies:

14. Jeger

Jeger IncGamers Member

My Take on the Shock Trooper

I am going this route

4 Zeal
    20 Holy Shock
    20 Holy Shield (Love it)
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Conviction
    Salvation = 0

4% synergy just does not seem worth it.
    At SL=0 you get 340% lightning damage (base + LR synergy)
    at SL=20 you get 420% lightning damage

It's better to have Holy Shield and conviction which is the aura for back-up attack when facing LIs, and sometimes with parties.

I am loving this build (level 79 atm)

15. Kendu

Kendu IncGamers Member

If you want to combine good physical damage with the lightning damage and be able to hit stuff then you should probabley go:

20 Holy Shock
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice
    1 Vengeance (for backup)
    1 Conviction (for backup)
    0-20 Holy Shield
    0-20 Salvation
    10 prereqs

I'd probabley go for the Holy shield to get the blocking, of course you'd max those last but put 5 points into holy shield early and also max the lightning parts first!

16. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

Here is my current build and equipment, and how effective it is for me

Zenryoku Lvl 75 Telsadin

Lvl 20 Holy Shock
    Lvl 20 Resist Lightning
    Lvl 12 Salvation
    Lvl 6 Resist Fire
    Lvl 6 Resist Cold
    Lvl 5 Holy Shield
    1 in Prereqs, Zeal, Vengeance

Helm: Rockstopper
    Armor: GA
    Weapon: Zakarum's Hand (still looking for that Um for crescent moon heh)
    Shield: HoZ
    Gloves: Venomgril
    Belt: String
    Boots: Goreriders

Strategy:
    I'm still trying to get my resists to all 95 which is a problem when using GA, but I can tank relatively well. My merc uses Reaper Toll which casts decripify, which is a help. Anything that's not light immune dies without much struggle. For light immunes, I switch to vengeance and conviction, which goes a LOT slower, so I usually let my merc deal with them. With 35% crushing blow, vengeance is managable even if it is at lvl 1. I have terrible AR so I shy away from anything thats not ITD.

I play Hardcore Ladder on USWest. So I guess the fact that I'm not dead yet means thumbs up for the telsadin =D I'll probably wait to get crescent moon and max my resists before taking some bigger leaps though