Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tesladin help...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by GriswoldsLegacy, Feb 14, 2004.

1. GriswoldsLegacy

GriswoldsLegacy IncGamers Member

Tesladin help...

I was thinking of making one with this setup

crescent moon phase blade
    griffons eye
    chains of honor
    hoz
    wartravs (dono maybe a better choice?)
    dracul's grasp (again dono)
    highlords
    verdungo's hearty cord (gotta have some dr)
    ravenfrost
    bk ring

20 holy shock
    20 resist lightning
    20 salvation
    20 zeal
    20 holy shield
    rest in sacrifice or defiance

this should result in level 27 holy shock. Dono how good the damage would be but if i can get a perfect griffons eye socket with a 5/5 lit facet, i could have -60 to enemies lightning resist. Maxing resists shouldn't be to difficult considering i'l have +50 from zak, +65 from CoH, and +30 from anya quests. That only leaves 30 more to all resist except lightning which will need another 50 to get to 95. I am not sure if life tap works well for this build as i am not quite sure how the curse works. All i know is it really helps keep zealots alive, does it work like leech?

Im not very wealthy so i guess i would try and go with 8x plain offensive aura charms which would give me level 35 holy shock (and any anni charm = 36). I suppose below those grands i could place all resist sc's if i cant max my resists from my other gear, or life charms or somethin.

Im still left with a couple questions, how are lightning immunes dealt with. I typically dont like making a build that cant deal with a certain kind of monster. I was thinking maybe an act 3 cold merc (how strong do their spells get anyways?). I was also wondering about how much dex i should use. I think the dex req on a phase blade is a little odd. I'l be getting 20 dex from the raven but as for my other gear, i dont see much. Maybe some treks would be a good idea? Or waterwalks, dex fire absorb and a life boost is always nice.

Any input is welcome and appricated.

2. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

The first thing I noticed reading your post and you mentionned yoursefl afterward, is the lack of a way to deal with lightning immune monsters. If you want to enjoy this character you must have a ready at hand solution for this problem.

There is a couple of ways to do this. One mainly rely on using physical damage in this built. You would end up with something like 20 Hshock - 20 LR - 20 zeal -20 sacrifice rest in Holy shield or maybe in Fanaticism. This has the advantage or proving some decent leech.

Another option would be to go and have a second elemental damage as a backup skill. Vengence + conviction or holyfreeze + cold resistance.

As for charms I would maybe use some combat so even if you only put a couple of points in it, you would endup with a decent level of holyshield.

As far dexterity, obviously there is no question that you will need at least 136 to use the phase blade. Raven + thundergod and maybe the use of cat's eye ammy. Also, take into account the level of holyshield you will have, this will also influence the needed dextrity.

Another point, in order to reach 4 fps zeal you will need a total of 75 % ias. 20 % ias comes from crescent moon so you need another 55 %. I suggest using IK gloves and Belt. beside giving you a good amount of dextrity and strength, they provide an additionel 25 % ias and good resistances.

Life tape won't be very useful if the damage you deal is mainly elemental but if you decide to go the physical damage route then it might be helpful.

My favorite mercenary for this built is a defiante one.

3. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

Actually life tap is very useful, even in hell you can refill your globe in 2-3 zeals. I'd say it's more useful for a testladin then a regular physical damage zealot because the testladin has a hard time leeching to begin with. Even with a crescent moon phase blade, my friend's life tap keeps me alive easily in hell and I can't wait till I can slip on a pair of dracul's of my own.

Unless you REALLY want that mf, switch out wartravs for gore riders. The crushing blow and deadly strike will serve you much more then the sliver of added damage.

I really don't feel that salvation is worth the 1k max lightning damage you get from it. Your points would be much better spent in other areas such as holy freeze or conviction.

Another option for your gear is death's gloves/belt. That'd give you 30 ias, 8 life leech, immunity to poison in normal, 15 resist all, and cannot be frozen. Then you could switch your ravenfrost out for a high leech ring and you wouldn't have to worry about life tap.

4. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Death belt/gloves is an interesting combo but personelly I find a 2 rows belt to be a bit annoying.

About life tap, I am curious did you increase you physical damage with max zeal or sacrfice ?

5. amishamigo

Tch, naw, I have around... lemme check....

228-312 raw physical damage. But keep in mind that one zeal will refill half your life orb once life tap goes off (around 150 leeched back per hit and assuming you have 1500 life, I only have 800 so a zeal almost completely refilled my life orb when life tap was off)

My necromancer who was using bstar could refill his life orb in three hits when he used life tap and trang's set for the leech bonus. Life tap is so undervalued it's not even funny, it's nothing less then godly to me.

6. GriswoldsLegacy

GriswoldsLegacy IncGamers Member

i guess i'l just pt 1 pt into vengeance since it is a 1 pt wonder. Plus an act 2 merc should provide a decent amount of physical damage and an additional aura. Im thinking it would only be difficult on packs of lightning immune monsters. But an uber merc might be able to handle it...

7. amishamigo

I'd avoid vengence. You already have the resist lightning synergy maxed out, but you're only using it for light immunes anyway. Act two mercs provide me with just enough damage to leech back my health as far as physical goes. With high conviction, a one point vengence might kill, but it'll kill slowly with a 100 avg damage weapon.

8. alexisonfire

alexisonfire IncGamers Member

i have a lvl 76 tesladin and i can say that lightning immune monsters havent caused a big problem for me yet. i put a pt in veng. and conviction to deal with these, but honestly i find myself never switching away from HS. i dont know why, i use the lightsabre for now until i get a 3 socket phase blade. i havent went over to hell yet, maybe thats the reason..hah. but, just wanted to share my experience with you. hope it helps.

9. DistortedRiff

DistortedRiff IncGamers Member

I have a level ** tesladin now. The beginning of act 1 is really rough especially solo, until you have/can wear all your gear (don't set a foot into the mausoleum ;) ) , then act 4 is even worse with all the casters and some of the knights being lightning immune. 2, 3 and 5 are pretty easy.

Vengence is OK to have a point in, but if a monster is immune, thats 1/3rd of your damage gone anway.

Also, if you wear a Thundergod's instead of verdungo's you can get 95% light resist with the passive bonus from the skill.