Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tesladin gear advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Nov 10, 2017.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I am in the process of making a Tesladin, and would like to gear advice. I found a HoZ from Andy last night, which I plan to use. But I think Exile would be much better, with its CtC Life Tap.

And I don't have a Griffons. Yet. Could I just socket a faced in a Shako and HoZ?

What about gloves? I could see life leech becoming an issue, if I don't have any CtC life tap.

Boots? FRW/Resist rares?

Armor, could I go with Principle?

2. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

Exile's really a luxury item for most content. You can make do just fine with max block and a decent amount of HP (which HoZ also helps towards, since the block rate saves a lot of dex).

Shako wouldn't be awful, but I think you should also look into a standard Guillaume's. Just keep in mind that you'll probably need a bit of extra IAS to hit 4fpa Zeal assuming you're using a Crescent Moon Phase Blade.

Gores are probably better.

Principle is bad. CoH is a solid pick.

3. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

It's been too long to remember much of mine and i'm at work so i can't check right now, but i think i had some crafted gloves to get some crushing blow. Otherwise bosses can be quite tedious. Though Guillaume's would help with that too.

4. NamelessPenguin

Ok, I'll go with HoZ in the first round. I was thinking Shako, since this toon depends a lot on +skills, so Gores would probably be a good source for CB. Or just equip Merc with Guills?

I don't have CoH yet, so I will have to find a replacement for this one until that Ber drops. Vipers? I suggested Principle because of the +2 Pally skills, and 30% FR and a huge health bonus, doesn't seem too shabby. Or am I missing something? Probably resist.

Yes, I will be using Cresent Moon PB.

@Cyrax Cool, I will try to craft something good :)

5. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

imo I would go..
    heaven's light x2 shael / lawbringer
    darksight
    gores
    treachery
    hoz / tiamet's rebuke
    lavagout
    tgods
    rare res ring
    rare res ring
    everlasting amulet

notes:
    can't beat heaven's light+hoz+gores for phys dmg department
    lawbringer+tiamet against phys immune / when you want to put on decrip
    can't beat the safety and modifers darksight offers
    lavagout will help alleviate your some of the AR issue as well as add an additional outlit for elemental damage
    everlasting amulet + fade will pretty much negate a little under half of all incoming phys damage (imo this is far more reliable than life steal)
    tgods will solve all your lightning dmg issues (which is probably one of the biggest killer for melees).

damn writing this gets me the urge to make a tesla myself.. (but alas, I'm still exhausted from d2 atm.)

6. NamelessPenguin

@okey Do it! I can't wait to see what this guy can do, when he gets twinked to the gills :) ...started him yesterday, now I remember how tedious it is to start a new character, and now I know why I rarely have more than three toons.

And thank your for your advice, a little more alternative than what we are used to seeing, I like it. Not much plus skills there, though..? And no Cresent Moon?

7. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I would always use Crescent Moon. And treachery, if you need extra ias and want it the easy way. If you get enough ias elsewhere, CoH.

8. necrolemming

Each + to Holy Shock is something around like 300 average damage. Even early in Hell and not accounting for resistances, the CB on Guillaume's is going to be a bigger DPS than +2 all from Shako.

Principle is basically a big pile of nothing. Even Fortitude would be better. Vipermagi or Guardian Angel would both be pretty good stopgaps.

Do not use anything besides Crescent Moon. You need 55 offweapon IAS to hit the 4fpa breakpoint; easiest way (outside of Treachery, anyway) is probably LoH or any other IAS gloves + Highlord's + one IAS jewel somewhere.

9. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

without cm you wouldn't hit 4fpa, but you'll still be 5fpa which is a negligible given you'll be doing a ton of physical damage.

reason why I tossed those scepters in is because it's nifty, you're a paladin: swing your gilded drumstick with pride! Kidding aside, plus skills is nice to have, but survivability is golden (as I only play hc). You should be able to melt just about anyone you come across given you have both physical and elemental damage in your tesla's tool kit.

for comparison sakes heavens vs crescent moon:

One-Hand Damage: (140-160) To (182-208) (161-184 Avg)
    Durability: 50
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +250-300% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +50% Damage To Undead
    -33% Target Defense
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +15-20 Life After Each Demon Kill (varies)
    +2-3 To Paladin Skill Levels (varies)
    +3 To Light Radius
    Socketed (1-2) (varies)*

vs

One-Hand Damage: (86-99) to (98-112) (92-105 Avg)
    Base Weapon Speed: [-30]
    10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
    7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    +180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    -35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
    25% Chance of Open Wounds
    +9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  10. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

I assume "Tesladin" here doesn't include Dreamer? Regarding the latter, I have experimented with numerous setups a couple of months ago, and ended up favouring the physical hybrid by far, i.e. with Grief PB. Personally I found the overall gameplay so much nicer than with CM due to the leech, and the lightning damage with Grief was still massive enough with dual Dream. As for no Dream I don't have much experience tbh, but I'd definitely give Grief a shot as well and at least see how it compares.

I know Dreams don't have many applications, basically just Dreamer and especially Bear Sorc, but these are extremely fun applications. :)

11. necrolemming

If he doesn't have a CoH yet, I don't think spending four Ber equivalents on Dreams is in the books.

12. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

I have a video diary of a HC tesladin on my YT if you are interested (fun begins at episode 12-13)

Gear:
    Blackhorns face "shael"
    Shaftstop "shael"
    Sanctuary akaran targe
    magnus skin gloves
    Tgods belt
    infernostrides
    crafted saftey amulet
    rare rings with res and AR
    Lawbringer
    Black (for smite and crushing blow)

But if you are considering playing twinked, I have nothing to add in respect to earlier posts. Good luck with the tesladin!

13. NamelessPenguin

The idea for this guy was to make him basically a walking caster, like a budget version of DC's Nikola, only with Grief in his back pocket. That's why I thought about Light Facet in Vipers and Shako, and IAS in HoZ. Hoping the jewels compensate somewhat for the missing Griffon. But my plan sounds like an uphill battle :p

What about Enigma? It would be a challenge finding resist elsewhere, though.

Infinity and CoH are on my Christmas wishlist. I have a Jah, but that is reserved for Faith. And I don't want a dreamer, or auradin.

@okey Sticks before chicks, yo :cool:

@drmalawi Tank you for the clip, I will watch that once I get some better internet connection :)

14. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician Diabloii.Net Site Pal

You could take a look at my guardian thread (shameless self plug):

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/guardian-static_shock-holy-shock-zealot.903917/

Changes I would make though is to hit that 55% ias breakpoint that someone in my guard thread mentioned. The boost in attack speed would have made him better.

If you don't fancy my setup, you can always check the other Pat threads, they are always a very useful source of successful builds.

15. drmalawi

I am curious, did you find all those items on your own tesladin or did you twink?
    I thought that I had good gear on mine self found but you just blew my mind :)

16. Pyrotechnician

I did in fact twink, the gear used was an accumulation over time. I've only done one or two self found characters, neither of which are completed yet. I just don't have the patience for that type of game play.

17. NamelessPenguin

@Pyrotechnician Cool! I didn't think about the Pat threads, very inspirational. I can see these builds can have some AR challenges. like you said, I will try to aim for that 55% IAS. Nice to see one without Griffons, too :)

drmalawi likes this.
  18. Pyrotechnician

I know there have been some suggestions of not utilizing cresent moon. Yes, not using cresent moon is stylish, but that static field proc is not something to be ignored. It goes off constantly and honestly accounts for most of your damage output. The -elr is just gravy on top. You can have a switch for light immunes that has more physical damage output, but you should focus on topping out that lightning damage as much as you can.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  19. drmalawi

You could insert points into Blessed Aim.

I choosed lawbringer since it gives -50% enemy defence and gives some saftey aswell

I would never play twinked HC, it defeats the purpose of the challenge I guess :)

20. Pyrotechnician