Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Terrorists bomb train station in Spain; At least 190 dead and 1200 injured.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Shug_Ninx, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

Terrorists bomb train station in Spain; At least 190 dead and 1200 injured.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040311/D818DMOO0.html

This is very horrible. First Australia and now this. I wonder how long it will take eventually until Al Qaeda bombs someplace here. I dont think it will be that long, sadly. :( Those bastards are going to pay for what they've done. I hope the rumors that Bin Ladin is being surrounded in the Pakistan/Afghanistan outlands is true. I have some cousins who are already in the army/navy and they are being shipped out to hunt them down.

Even though most of Spain is against the war on Iraq, I hope they dont cave in to Al Qaeda's bombings. To do that would be a an admit of defeat, IMO. Thats the worst thing that could happen.

My heart goes out to the victoms who've died and were injured in the bombings, and the family members who have to grieve for them. :(

2. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

As much as it may seem to help..i seriously don't think the capture of bin Ladan is going to do much about these attacks. Anyway heres another example that the US isn't the sole target of terrorists...

3. Shug_Ninx

It would be a political victory, at the very least. Its true that AQ would probably survive without him. And I think in times like this, we need some victory over AQ that would make the presses.

EDIT: I just looked at the bottom after only skimming a little before I posted this . Sorry for being redundant on the story/topic.

4. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

:p

it's kk, someone posted it before i did as well and i didn't notice it :bonk:

5. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Wow, now they think it may be Al Qaeda instead of ETA?

No matter what, this is pretty bad for everyone, Spain, Basques, and Muslims.

6. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I agree, perhaps an even tougher stance needs to be taken against terrorism. There are still many countries in the Middle East where leaders turn a blind eye to terrorist training camps. We should be more assertive to these countries and tell them "Put a stop to it, or let us come in and put a stop to it for you." It needs to be stamped out. It is not a US problem. The whole world needs to take a stand.

7. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

But... we can't do that... we may hurt someone's feelings!

8. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

I was told that the reason terrorists attack is because of the USA's foreign policy! How they support Israel, etc. etc. etc.

Last time I checked, Spain wasn't in the USA :rolleyes:

9. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Name them.

The places I'm thinking of only want to be free from Russian oppression and only one of them is actually a soveriegn nation.

10. publius

publius IncGamers Member

I suppose I'll make an exercise in speculation. If I was Al Qaeda, I'd try to further the rift between the United States and its allies. I'd think this attack would do the exact opposite.

This means either its ETA or Al Qaeda made a really bad move (and they have in the past done things really smart, like putting Saudis on the planes and issuing threats which make the media all jump and scream "terrorist attack imminent").

11. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

Forum ate my first post...
    The one that comes to mind right away is Syria, where top leaders of Hezbollah are known to live, and the government of Syria does nothing about.

Other than that, perhaps "turning a blind eye" is a bit harsh for me to put it. It would be more accurate to say that the governments find themselves unable to combat the terrorists who are training and are well-armed in their countries, and have pretty much given up trying. I don't think we should just go and attack these countries. I think we should offer a trade; perhaps we give them some sort of economic bait, and they let us do the job with our 21st century military.

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Fair enough, Tech. Like you said, there's a difference between training camps and cats just living there.

13. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Noooo not spain, hands down one of the most beautiful countries on earth. Even when they were fascist they were still cool.

They need a new armada.

14. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Well, if this AQ tie isn't a fabrication and AQ really is responsible for this, you can bet your mom that some of the North-African Arabic nations close to Spain and the mediterranean are going to fall under pretty heavy scrutiny soon. At the very least their international travel policies will get a good once-over, probably even in places like Morocco.

15. swami

swami Banned

mayhap it was aznar's support for the US which pissed off the AQ operatives?

16. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Yeah really, last I checked (leading up to the Iraq war) I was being fed a bunch of crap about how the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I guess that's not a party-approved catch phrase anymore.

17. rog_gamberra

rog_gamberra IncGamers Member

ETA its not a separatist group, its a terrorist group as well as it is al qaeda. its upsetting reading that in the foreign news. the problem its that ETA got the support of a small (very small) part of basques, most basques are fed up with all the ETA issue. In some way ETA could have been justified (if you can justify deads...) 25 years ago, during dictatorship and some years later. but now has got no justification.

One of the ETA 'political' leaders have claimed that the attack has nothing to do with them, and links should be searched in arabist groups, but rumours says that maybe both groups have cooperated or maybe one group put the bomb (ETA) and the other group (al qaeda) have claimed responsability.
    ETA has tried before to make a terrorist atack in trains /trains stations, it was in Xmas eve.
    the curious thing its that in Bali, alqaeda took some days to claim responsability, and now just a few hours laters a letter is sent to a london newspaper.

we will see

by the way, next sunday are elections for president, and Im sure that results will change depending the responsability of the slaughtery. ETA=same party as it is now (right party or 'fascists'), and almost sure if its alqaeda will the the opposite party (left wing)

18. NecroValmar

NecroValmar IncGamers Member

Hi all. Im from Spain, Madrid.

As u all perhaps imagine, im so stunned. I cant sleep today, cant live.
    It's hard to understand why some people come go into a train, put bombs on it seeing the people (studentes, childres, workers) who later will die, then go down and explode them. I cant understand.

200 murdered, 1000 wounded... a lot of families destroyed...

At least I´m okay, and all my family, but I know people who not.

I only want to say than the political ideal doesn´t matter anyway. Only matters the peace on world.

Thx to those people who help us, and thx to those who feel and are sad now for all of this.

"good" night

19. NecroValmar

NecroValmar IncGamers Member

Of course if any of you want to know something about the situation in Spain, ETA, basques and more, i will try to help you (sorry about my bad English).

It´s the first time ETA kill this way. 200 murdered in only 1 day (more than the last 12 years). Over 800 on ETA history (if finally ETA is, and not alkaeda, not sure, all news are very confused, and of course is due to the sunday too).

20. Shug_Ninx

If what you got out of me was that I was trying to lesson the impact of this event them I am sorry I was not. And as you said, Spain isnt even a dictatorship so for someone like the ETA to kill people in a DEMOCRATIC government to make a statement is just sick and wrong.

Anyways, I dont think its the ETA. They say they found some books with Islamic chance in one of the bags. I think this is a definite clue that it ties to AQ or some radical Arab group. I've also been watching the news and a lot of people in Spain are pretty depressed and angry about this. It seems like AQ blundered itself into another hole again. I think this may go against them in the future.