Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Terrible Graphics :(

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by themo, Aug 31, 2010.

1. themo

themo IncGamers Member

Terrible Graphics :(

Hello,

I know the graphics are not the most important thing in a pc game but it seems Blizzard intentionally makes the graphics look awful and ultra low detailed, that's really so weird.

Here is 2 screenshots. The first one is fake, it's from Castlevania Lord of Shadows but someone used photoshop to paste Diablo 3 Hud, paperdoll and character on the screenshot.

Just compare them and see how terrible Diablo 3's graphics are.

Here is what Diablo 3 SHOULD look like:

[​IMG]

Here is what we got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first one (fake) looks like a real 2012 game.

Diablo 3's graphics look like a 2000 game.

What do you think? After you look at those3 screenshots, can you tell that Diablo 3's graphics are ok?

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Re: Terrible Graphics :(

Bliz has long been a company that uses less intense graphics to help keep system requirements down. if you have ever played wow you would notice that the graphics are nothing life like but imo are still good. They are more cartoony than real but not bad. sure the game could go with a much more realistic or life like visual style but that would go against the bliz motto of reaching as many potential customers as possible.

Personally I have no problem at all with the graphics in D3 just as I had no issue with the graphics in D2. I much prefer my FPS games to be heavy in graphic detail and my ARPG can pretty much be whatever they want.

3. themo

themo IncGamers Member

Do they have to make the graphics look terrible in order to keep system requirements down? Can't they make it by puting some scale options in graphics menu or something?

See Unreal Tournament 3, it has gorgeous graphics but (with the last patch) there are a lot of scale options that it even works on my 5 years old laptop!!!

Titan Quest does the same.

Blizzard is unable to do that? Why?

4. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

The fanboys will come on and say that the first one doesn't look that good!!

Srsly ya that first one is awesome. D3 won't look like that. Stop worrying about it, it's just never going to look like that. Also you'll never have a bazillion dollars and 14 hot girlfriends, it will never rain skittles, clowns will never become less frightening, dingo's will continue to eat your babies, the irish will never sober up, coke will never be good for you etc etc.

5. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

They are able to introduce scaling. SC2 looks actually half decent on highest settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkAe0adJbB4

Problem is, and by the way this argument was done just a few days ago if you scroll down and look at the threads, we are looking at initial art passes. I.E. the make it look like something art pass. Details come later.

Here's a more apt comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0TXanHA6FI&feature=related

It won't have the super high resolution graphic features, but Blizzard games never did.

6. themo

themo IncGamers Member

If there are scaling options or something then why do they show us terrible-looking screenshots with ultra low details?

7. a black kid

a black kid IncGamers Member

2000? please name a game on the PC from the year 2000 that looks that good and has anything even resembling good gameplay.

8. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Art assets don't come out of nowhere. The artists have to physically sit down and make them. In practical terms, this means they are making an initial pass over everything, i.e. they are making a rough draft of what the game looks like while its development is highly volatile, where entire areas and monsters and spells can just get cut at a whim, making all effort put into drawing them a total waste. Once the game's features are locked down, the artists will begin to put more effort into making the game pwetty.

9. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

lol, and wasnt that the SS from like the announcement of D3?

10. themo

themo IncGamers Member

Well, for example, Unreal Tournament (1999), Quake 3 Arena (1999) look 2x more detailed than Diablo 3 (2011-2012)

11. a black kid

a black kid IncGamers Member

i played both of those games extensively, and firmly disagree. are you basing that on their live gameplay graphics compared to early development diablo 3 screenshots? have you watched a single video? particle effects, enemy animations, and all the extra little things like the dust in the desert swirling around, and weather effects..... quake 3 and UT dont even come close.

12. themo

themo IncGamers Member

I'm happy with the effects or the art style of Diablo 3. The terrible thing is not the effects but textures like third class low detailed oil painting.

13. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

2000? really? I don't think so.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

You think that ^ looks better then this?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

14. themo

themo IncGamers Member

You must be kidding!

I don't know who took that sc with lowest graphics details.

Here is what Unreal Tournament (1999) and Quake 3(1999) looks with normal graphic scale options:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, I do think even these old (1999) pc games look more detailed than 2011 or 2012 game Diablo 3!!!

15. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

If you don't like the textures, you could pass on the game.
    Frankly these complaints are getting pretty wearisome and boring. I can't believe how many people are so judgemental over something so unimportant. They've even repeatedly said that the game looks bad in screenshots because you don't get to see the environmental effects. If you're stopping in a diablo game to drool over oooo shiny pretties then I dunno, man.

16. themo

themo IncGamers Member

If that's something "so unimportant" then why the developers have been working for years to write a new 3d engine? If Diablo 3 used the Diablo 2 engine, we would be playing Diablo 5 or something now so how can it be something so "unimportant"? :S

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

this may be the hardest thread i have ever tried to read. any way for me to cancel the pics or scale them wayyyyyyyyyyyyy down?

18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Right Click Image ---> Some block option depending on browser IIRC.

19. Zesvotzashne

Zesvotzashne IncGamers Member

First photo is really meh. Looks like every generic bump-mapped game that came out in the recent years, Oblivion/UT2007/Black & White 2 .etc All of which had these awesome shiny graphics with dummied down or in UT'07's case, just OK gameplay. Their predecessors where either better or offered just as good stuff while looking much worse.

Graphics really don't make a game. Oblivion proved that for me.

Uhh..... No. Maybe around the same if Diablo is put on the lowest settings (I'm assuming that's what the placeholder graphics are anyway).

Neither one of those games are actually more detailed than D3, Unreal 1999/Unreal 1 I can say from experience, they are way ahead of their time in both geometry & textures but really unless the map was exceptionally made, it was kinda clunky looking.

Diablo 3 doesn't look worse, everything looks very smooth and detailed, reminds me of a painting.

20. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Lets compare your detail.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

As you can clearly see D3 has more detail in the roof to the blacksmith shop then in your two pics