Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Terrible defense on my blizz sorc. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by GoreTex, Nov 3, 2006.

1. GoreTex

GoreTex IncGamers Member

Terrible defense on my blizz sorc. What can I do?

Hello all. I have a lvl 80 blizz sorc. I got her equipped w/ what I thought was good equipment, but her defense is really lacking. I still take a lot of damage.

equip:

shako
    CoH
    arach
    magefist
    silkweave
    lidless wall
    HotO flail
    2x soj
    mara's
    torch
    anni
    9x +skill gc
    8x +5 resist all sc
    ondal's (secondary wep)

now, using shiver and defiance from act 2 merc, she's only around 8k def. Is there a better setup i could be using? Cause even when i go back into normal to help rush friends, she'll take hits from obliv. nights and mages that bring me almost all the way down in health. its pretty sad. All my damages are pretty decent 3300-3500 on ice blast and 6500-6600 on blizz, but when i do get hit, i get hit BAD. anyone got any ideas?

2. Venrae

Venrae IncGamers Member

8k should be enough to keep you from being hit often. No matter how high your defense is there will still be an off chance you will be hit.

From what I can tell, your problem is not with having enough defense, but enough life. Defense has nothing to do with how much damage you take, it only affects the chance that you will be hit.

So you need to either stock up on +life or +vit items, invest in a CTA for BO to raise your life even more, or get some damage reduction gear. Getting more than one of those options will help even more, but you should try to do at least one.

P.S. judging by your equipment, a CTA would not be out of reach for you, so I'd suggest trying that first. Make sure to keep a spirit or +all skills shield on switch to help keep the BO lvl high.

3. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I would invest in a better shield and get some blocking instead. It might be more worthwhile than trying to raise defense.

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Defense doesn't reduce the damage you take - just the chance to be hit. My Sorceress runs around with 1600 def with absolutely no troubles. The trick is to try and not get hit in the first place, which is sometimes easier said than done. As a Sorceress you never want the enemy to even get close to you to hit you. Teleport will soon become your best friend when it comes to keeping alive. 8000 defense is VERY high for a sorceress btw.

A Holy Freeze mercenary might serve you better. HF will slow down ALL of the enemies around you, it will give you plenty of time to react to enemies closing in on you and teleport back to avoid being hit. He'll also be a much better tank, since a slow enemy is only dealing half the damage it normally does.

Sorceresses generally have poor defense anyway, and it's not worth trying to get it higher. A +3 Shiver Armor staff/orb on switch should be all you need to prebuff. That will save on a couple of skill points for you to spend toward something more worthwhile like increasing your damage.

Ideally, you'll want to have a CTA runeword in a +3 Shiver Armor War/Rune/Archon Staff on switch, so you have a Battle Command, Battle Orders and a cold armour prebuff all in one item.

Oh, and finally, Spirit>Lidless always. It's well worth the strength investment. That's if you play ladder though...

5. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I'll agree with Eilo here. Whenever I want to boost my Sorceress's defense, I just invest 20 skillpoints in a skill I like to call "staying as far the heck away from anything that wants to hurt me as is humanly possible".

6. Eilo Rytyj

Hey, I love that skill. My Sorceress' is at like level 113, it roxxorz.

Mad evasion skillz ftw.

7. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

113? Wow, that's a lot. I've never gotten that high, I usually reserve some other skill points so that I can max out "reading bossmods", "careful merc positioning", and most importantly, "patience".:grin:

8. Eilo Rytyj

Well, teleport evasion skillz includes skimming across boss mods, moving my merc so he's between enemies and me, moving my merc so he's never overwhelmed and dies, ubar leet teleporting through areas to get to bosses, positioning for the Perfect Orb... you get the idea.

Actually, I don't think it's as high as 113... and it's MY skill level that's the factor, not the sorceress'. I'm not perfect, and a lot of the time I'm glad it's softcore. I'm also glad that I remade my MF sorceress too, my old CL/Orb was WEAK, so I had to keep alert and develop some manual skills so I didn't die all the time.

errr... back on topic. What was the topic? :shocked: :confused:

9. Sgraffite

Sgraffite IncGamers Member

@original poster

Your defense doesn't change the amount of damage you take, only the chance an enemy will hit you. If you want to change the damage you take you need damage reduction gear, either damage reduced by x% or damage reduced by x. IE Chains of Honor has 8% damage reduction.

10. GotFriana

GotFriana IncGamers Member

Since you are lvl 80 depending on how you ve been investing your stat points it may be too late to go for max block or more life, usually this is something you have to decide when you start a new sorc whether you are going to be max block (investing lots of points in dex) or full life (not investing even 1 point on dex). Another posibility if you have low life is to fill your inventory with life small charms, preferably with a secod mod like resistances.
    But as people already mentioned here your best option to stay alive and healthy is to not get hit at all.