Terminology is KILLING me

Whiplashfourever

Diabloii.Net Member
Terminology is KILLING me

Listen, I'm an old man compared to most of you and my computer lingo is severely limited. Looking at this stuff, trying to figure out what the best places are to distribute my skill points and stat points is near impossible. Isn't there an easier way?

Put this many points in str, put this many points in dex and so on and so forth. What armor should I be looking for? I'm not looking to duel, I just want to be able to go through the game like a hot knife through butter and help others farther back than myself.

I'd love to be able to sit down and read what you kids are talking about, but I failed math and chemistry back when I was in school and that's what some of the equations look like on you're "how to" threads - LMAO. Help an old broken down brotha out will ya?

So far this is what I got

62 level Barb

Attack 15-18 / 302
Whirwind 19-20 / 588
Def 990
Stamina 168
Life 168
Mana 81

Str 165
Dex 60
Vit 40
Enr 20

I'm sitting on 105 stat points cause I don't want to waste them

I have crap for equipment, so anything you can suggest would be helpful

Helm +3 to battle Orders 30 def
Boneweave 505 def
Shield 226 def
Boots 124 def

Skills
Bash 1
Leap 4
Stun 1
Leap Attack 1
Concentrate 1
Whirwind 20

I'm sitting on 34 skill points for the same reason I'm sitting on the stat points

What is the best weapon type to max out? I like the axe, but not sure if that's the way to go when looking for maximum damage

Evil Monkey

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd say 15 point in Strength and rest in Vitality.

You get 4 Life per point o_O

Axe's kick ass damage wise... the choice of weapon depends on whether or not you plan to use a shield. If you plan on mainly offense and insane damage, you never go wrong with polearms ^_^ If that's the case, you'd probably want to pump strength to around 350-500 with gear.

Arreat's Face is standard equipment in basically every barb built (except WolfBarb) so that's all I can suggest atm :)

But take a look in Rik's Whirlwind Guide for tips & tricks. He, apparently, knows what he talks about :p

Note: I suggest you avoid Leap Attack completely as an offensive skill, and therefore more than 1 point. Besides escaping and multiplayer Maggot Lair, you would need to be extremely lucky to have a stupid enough opponent to get hit by it, as it is very easy to avoid. ;)

Zangeif

Diabloii.Net Member
It sounds like you need a lot of basic information on how the mechanics of the game work and what items to look for. That's a lot more info that I could put into 1 post but I'll tell you some basics for barbs.

-Axes are a good choice, the best axes are the best 1 handed weapons in the game, and the mediocre axes are fairly cheap and still more effective than other weapon types of the same price.

-Whirlwind is a great choice for a skill, and maxing it was a good idea.

-Here's what you should do with your skill points. Put 1 point into increased stamina and speed, natural resistance, berserk, and battle command. Max axe mastery. Max battle orders. Max shout. Put the remaining points into iron skin as you attain them.

-You need a better weapon! Good barbs do around 5000 damage with whirlwind, you do 20 damage. This should be your first priority. If you play on USEast non-ladder, leave your account and I'll message you and help you out.

Those are some basics, theres a lot to learn about this game learning the breakpoints is a must to become a serious pvp player but as far as just playing through the game, you can get through that with minimal knowledge of the game's mechanics.

Whiplashfourever

Diabloii.Net Member
THANK YOU for the suggestions. It is much appreciated. I do play in the USEast. As far as non ladder, I'm not sure I know what that means - LOL. My account is Whips_World, the Barb Character is Parrin_Aybara.

I'll keep my eyes open for good one handed axes. I'm glad, because the character my character is named after is an axe wielder too, so it fits. Most seem to be two handed weapons though, and I tend to have my lunch handed to me in NM and Hell without my shield because that's my only way (that I know of) to boost my resistances (by placing perfect diamonds in the sockets). I'll max that out right now.

Another HUGE problem I'm having is, having anything worth trading. As you might guess, I don't have big time windows to just sit and play so, when I get rushed though to hell, I'm not stopping to pick anything up and then, when you Baal run to level up quickly, you can't stand around long picking and choosing what you want left on the ground because the next game is up and full before you know it. How do these/you kids get all this great gear that is so tradable? All I have is gold and if you do a few cow games in a day and manage not to die, anyone can get gold, so it's basically useless.

****​

I'm now maxed on Axe Mastery and 12 points into Battle Orders (15 with =3 helmet)

I'm still sitting on my 105 stat points, because I got vastly different suggestions on where to go with them. I don't want to go over kill and handicap myself somewhere else, but I don't want to be a month down the road with no options to level up anymore and not be able to use a particular kick ass weapon/armor either

Zangeif

Diabloii.Net Member
Well a lot of us have been playing for years so we have acquired some very good items in that amount of time. Baal runs are an OK place to find items, and cows are a great place but the problem is you need to know what to look for. It takes a while to learn what items have trade value, but you will learn.

A well equipped barb doesn't need a shield for beating Hell, but I would stick with one right now until you get some better gear. Not only can shields give good resists, but they let you block up to 75% of attacks so they help out your damage mitigation all around. Once you get good grear though, you will achieve max resists without a shield, and you will have a lot of life leech. Life leech steals life from enemies when you hit them by a percentage of the damage you do. Since a well equipped whirlwind barb will be doing around 5000 max damage, you will be gaining life faster than enemies can damage you when you whirlwind through them. Once you get some better gear, you can drop the shield to kill faster.

As for your stat point placement, here's the rule that every character follows - you want to put as much into vitality as possible. Str should be kept to the bare minimum required to wear your gear. Many barbs never put a point into str, and let their godly gear boost it high enough to the point where they can wear everything. Dex is useful for blocking, and barbs that use a shield put points into dex to achieve 75% block which is the maximum possible blocking percentage. However, if you decide that you want to lose the shield someday, don't waste any points in dex now.

I'm going to Vegas today but I'll message you on Monday to see if you're ladder on non ladder.

Whiplashfourever

Diabloii.Net Member
Zangeif said:
Well a lot of us have been playing for years so we have acquired some very good items in that amount of time. Baal runs are an OK place to find items, and cows are a great place but the problem is you need to know what to look for. It takes a while to learn what items have trade value, but you will learn.

A well equipped barb doesn't need a shield for beating Hell, but I would stick with one right now until you get some better gear. Not only can shields give good resists, but they let you block up to 75% of attacks so they help out your damage mitigation all around. Once you get good grear though, you will achieve max resists without a shield, and you will have a lot of life leech. Life leech steals life from enemies when you hit them by a percentage of the damage you do. Since a well equipped whirlwind barb will be doing around 5000 max damage, you will be gaining life faster than enemies can damage you when you whirlwind through them. Once you get some better gear, you can drop the shield to kill faster.

As for your stat point placement, here's the rule that every character follows - you want to put as much into vitality as possible. Str should be kept to the bare minimum required to wear your gear. Many barbs never put a point into str, and let their godly gear boost it high enough to the point where they can wear everything. Dex is useful for blocking, and barbs that use a shield put points into dex to achieve 75% block which is the maximum possible blocking percentage. However, if you decide that you want to lose the shield someday, don't waste any points in dex now.

I'm going to Vegas today but I'll message you on Monday to see if you're ladder on non ladder.

I'M NOT sure what that means, but I can tell you, I started an account and created a character and have been just playing normal so, I'm fairly certain I'm not a ladder character.

This is where I stand now:

Character Stats

80 level barbarian

Strength 165
Dextarity 85 (128 w/shield)
Vitality 40
Energy 20

Attack Damage 114-145
Whirlwind (Blank)
Attack Rating 681
Defense 1203

Stamina 226
Life 466
Mana 99

Resistances

Fire -91
Cold -100
Lightning -73
Poison -100

(Still sitting on 170 stat points for fear of putting them in the wrong place)

Gear

Assault Helmet
Defence 30
+3 to Battle Orders

Steel Mythical Sword (haven't found a good axe yet)
one handed damage 40-50

Boneweave armor
defence 505

Blackoak Shield Luna
Defence 368
Chance of blocking 45%
+4 chance to cast level 5 weaken when struck
+50% faster block rate
+197% enhanced defence
+40 to dextarity (based on character level)
+100 to life (based on character level)
+50 to absorbs cold (based on character level)
Half Freeze duration

Demonhide Sash
Defence 30
+33 to life

Vampire bone gloves
Defence 114
+1 to bow and crossbow skills (Amazon Only)
+20% Increased attack speed
+74% enhanced defence
Lightning resist +16%

Wyrmhide Boots
Defence 124
+98% Enhanced defence
+2 dextarity

Skills

War Cries

Howl 1
Shout 12
Battle Orders 20 (23 w/ helm) (Maxed Out)

Masteries

Axe 20 (Maxed Out)

Combat Skills

Bash 1
Leap 5
Stun 1
Leap Attack 1
Concentrate 1
Whirlwind 20 (Maxed Out)

skilledlord

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey look me up. I'm pretty sure you're on nl hopefully. *skilly88 *skilly89. I have a lot of mule accs that are going to expire soon and I'm slowly drifiting away from playing d2. I would gladly give you some barbarian gear to start you off ok? Or drop me a pm (private message) on these forums.

Whiplashfourever

Diabloii.Net Member
phool said:
You're almost certainly a ladder character as ladder is default

You're right. I just figured that out today - LOL It says it right under the dag gum character. Hey, what can I say, they don't call me Mr. Observance for nothin ;)

Zangeif

Diabloii.Net Member
What didn't you understand, I will try to explain.

Put a point into natural resistance, it will help you survive better for now. Don't put more than 1 into it though, it has high diminishing returns once it gets up high, and your gear alone will boost it up high once you get some better stuff.

I can't help you out since you are on ladder, but here's an idea for how to get a better weapon. Many runewords are fairly cheap to make, the cheapest runeword that is decent is "Honor" mde with AmnElIthTirSol. I'm not sure if you know how runewords work but read this page for an explanation and look at all the runewords that can be made in weapons. Crescent Moon is a great choice and is fairly cheap, but you will have a hard time getting the Um rune. I'm sure you can find people to give you the runes for Honor for free, they are worthless.

Runeword explanation:
http://www.diabloii.net/items/runes/runewords-weapons.shtml

Whiplashfourever

Diabloii.Net Member
Zan, right now I'm more stuck on where to put my stat points. I have my skill points dolled out pretty much as you instructed in an earlier reply, but I'm sitting on about 100+ stat points that I don't want to flush for being ignorant.

phool

Diabloii.Net Member
As you don't know what gear you're going to use, it might be worth just sitting on your stat points until something nice comes along, it would be painful to come across something amazing and then realise because you pumped up vitality you need another 6 lvls or something

and zangeif, i gotta disagree with you about honour being the cheapest good runeword. What about strength, stealth, lore, etc? Ideal for making untwinked chars' lives easy.

ximazealotx

Diabloii.Net Member
the first thing you need to do with those 100+stat points is get your vitalaty up to at least 100. this will increase your life and at least let you last longer in a fight. that would leave you with 40+stats still which would be more than enough to modify your other stats for when you find a weapon/armour/helm you like.

its too bad your not on west cause i have heaps of stuff ladder that could have helped you out.

some nice cheap items you should go looking for (trade for them on the trade forums) and you can get for pgems most of the time.

corpsemourn (armour with 1100+ defense and some other nice mods)
goblintoe (boots that add 25%chance of crushing blow very handy mod)
string of ears (belt that has damage reduction, life leach and some other hand mods)

i dont know if you have access to any runes at all becuase you can always look at some of the runewords available

you should be able to find the 2soc armour in a cow run or trade a pgem or so for one and the runes needed are pretty cheap as well (pgem range)

if you can find yourself a 2socket armour (boneweave/duskshroud/scarab husk, great hauberk, balrog skin etc you get the idea) you can make
"smoke" (Nef+Lum) this is a fairly easy runeword to make and it has these handy mods +75%enghanced defence, +50 to all res, 20% faster hit recovery, +10 to energy
as for a weapon try and find an twin axe/ettin axe (ettin is better) with no sockets, take it to nm lazurk, he will add the max number of sockets wich in these to axes is 5. then you make
"honor" (amn+el+ith+tir+sol) it has +160% enhanced damage, +9 to min/max damage, 25% deadly strike, +250 to attack rating, +1 to all skills, 7% life leach, +10 to strength

i hope this information will help you out.

Whiplashfourever

Diabloii.Net Member
I broke down and went to rpgstash.com and bought the IK set for my barb... problem is, it's a maul and I maxed out axe, so, I'm in the process of building another identical barb to wear it (minus the maxed out axe mastery of course). I figure that'll be better than what I'm wearing now and I can be looking for better stuff along the way. What combat mastery does the maul fall under? Mace?

Kitriara

Diabloii.Net Member
Whiplashfourever: not sure how long you've been playing, but if you would like a basic overview of the advanced aspects of the game (which I think you may find helpful), send me an email, gnm23 @ drexel.edu and I will write you a miniguide or something.

If you mail me, just tell me your general knowledge level with the game and what you're looking to do play-wise. I'll get you the rest.

Whiplashfourever

Diabloii.Net Member
Kitriara said:
Whiplashfourever: not sure how long you've been playing, but if you would like a basic overview of the advanced aspects of the game (which I think you may find helpful), send me an email, gnm23 @ drexel.edu and I will write you a miniguide or something.

If you mail me, just tell me your general knowledge level with the game and what you're looking to do play-wise. I'll get you the rest.
That would be cool. I'll see if I can't fire off an email here real soon. As far as my general knowledge of the game... very basic. I don't know hardly anything as far as strategy for best results. I know nothing on how to make good rune equipment I don't even know how to add friends/whisper people - LOL

As far as what I want to do, I want to build one of each of the available characters to be absolute bad asses, capable of dealing out death at a glance. I'm not real big on dueling (mostly cause I get owned every time - LOL) I just want to be able to run the game by myself without getting dead.